Thread: Nerdy questions about the Power Sword in the new bio mythology...

Nerdy questions about the Power Sword in the new bio mythology...

Hello he-fan type people! It's been a while. Wait, what do you mean you don't remember me?! I'm a board legend! Oh well….

After sinking into a deep despair after the demise of the 200X line, there wasn't much joy to be had in coming to the forums. I could have saved it! I could have bought more Smash Blade He-Mans! Ahem… Well I recently (re)discovered the Classics line, and after getting a few reissued figures, I'm really excited for the future of Masters. The bios on the hardbacks tell an awesome story, probably my favorite retelling of the MOTU mythology!

I'm a little confused about something though, and it's a pretty important something. Namely, the origin of the Power Sword. Here's how I understand it. Can someone help fill in the gaps?

1. It's actually named the Sword of He, and it is a Trollan creation.
    2. It was given to He-Ro, who is not an ancestor to He-Man, but a Cosmic Enforcer like Zodac.
    3. When He-Ro croaked, he gave the sword to King Grayskull.
    4. When King Grayskull croaked, he transferred his power into the Sword of He as a way to lock its power so only his descendants can use it.
    5. The Goddess of Eternia split the Sword of He in two keep the power separated.
    6. There have been many men, such as Vykor, Wun-Dar, and Oo-Lar, who have protected the sword (and the orb, and the castle?) until the true heir of King Grayskull emerged. These warriors were all known as He-Man.
    7. Prince Adam became the current He-Man, at first by just putting on his force field vest, but he later learned how to combine the two halves of the sword and use its power.

Q1. King Grayskull's bio seems to contradict itself. It says he transferred his power into the sword with his last breath. It also says that soon after his death, power was also transferred into an orb. Was this the Cosmic power of He-Ro? Did Grayskull take the Cosmic power out of the sword and put it into an orb so he can fit his Kingly power into the sword? Is the orb the source of the power of Grayskull? Does Grayskull also have its own power?

Q2. The sorceress cloned the Sword of He to create the Sword of Protection. Does this kinda seem like cheating to anyone else? I guess it's fine if the power is locked to the descendants of King Grayskull.

Q3. Isn't Oo-Lar the jungle He-Man who was given the force field vest by the Goddess? I guess since we're mixing and matching, this will come out in the wash when Oo-Lar finally comes out.

I'll try to answer your questions.

A1. When King Grayskull died he transferred his essence into the Sword, so now it contained both He-Ro's Cosmic power and KG's power. The magic was drained from the Sword after KG's death (by the Elders/Veena) and became the Orb (changing the Sword's colour from translucent blue to grey in the process). Eventually the Elders added their power to the Orb as well.

Castle Grayskull must contain other sources of magic, because the Sorceress does not draw upon the Orb for her magical abilites.

A2. I'm not keen on the idea that the Power Sword can be cloned or duplicated either. Since the prophecy speaks of twin warriors, there should have been twin swords created at the very start.

A3. I think so. We still need confirmation of that.

In addition to the Techno vest, Prince Adam also used the 200X sword until he found the Sword halves.

Oh, and He-Ro was a Cosmic Warrior, not a Cosmic Enforcer. He battled against evil, while Enforcers like Zodac take a more neutral stance.

Not nerdy at all.

A1. King Grayskull was bestowed the Sword of He by the fallen He-Ro. Upon receiving the sword, Grayskull learned to tap into the sword's power. The sword inherently changes the wielder "bonding" with him/her over time. Upon Grayskull's death, he passed his essence into the sword, insuring that only the descendants of Grayskull could tap into the power. The Sword of He transferred the Power of the Universe to the Council of Elders. The Sword of He then became the key to the Power, and was subsequently split in two, and the Council of Elders become the Orb of Power that is hidden deep within Grayskull. The Power of the Universe indeed is the source of Castle Grayskull's power, but it is too vast and consuming for one mere being to attempt to control it. Ultimately, the Essence of Grayskull and the Power of the Universe are two separate things, albeit, one influenced the manifestation of the other.

A2. The cloned sword has been a VERY reviled topic in MOTU fandom (along with the cloned Teela concept). Many fans share your stance on the matter of the sword being cloned, and have either ignored this story component or come up with their own.

A3. Oo-Larr is a retconned name, and is not the actual name of the "barbarian He-Man". But yes, in the original mini comic that is how that character gained his powers. MOTUC took elements from all the different continuities and combined them into one story. It is conceivable that this story can be maintained, and that Oo-Larr is simply one of the He-Men - like Vikron and Wundar. Adam receiving the techno-vest is just history repeating itself. Even the Filmation cartoon mentions that there have been multiple He-Men in the episode "Double Trouble".

Though the 200x techno-sword falls out of use for years when Adam gains the Power Sword, he eventually uses it again when the Power Sword is passed on to his son Dare - so that they both can tap into the POWER at the same time.
    Last edited by mykan; July 24, 2012 at 10:25pm.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Wow. Is that really Hadely over here? The famous create-or of the ever so popular "Killen teh lien" phrase!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Also, the Sword of He was created by the Overlords of the Eternal Dimension. These are sorta like cosmic beings from the Trollan dimension, not the little elf things like Orko. They have yet to be shown in any appearance.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    It is conceivable that this story can be maintained, and that Oo-Larr is simply one of the He-Men - like Vikron and Wundar.
    I don't believe Vikron is one of the "He-Men". He was just a gladiator type character and showman that got ripped in half by Gygor.

Quote Originally Posted by Star of the Morning View Post
    I don't believe Vikron is one of the "He-Men". He was just a gladiator type character and showman that got ripped in half by Gygor.
    Oops, I was referring to Vikor. I'm not a big fan of either. My apologies.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Wow. Is that really Hadely over here? The famous create-or of the ever so popular "Killen teh lien" phrase!!
    Marzo! Psyched to see you're still around! How goes the flower trade?

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Even if the MOTUC continuity seems kinda slapdash, I still really enjoy it. I appreciate you all filling in the blanks.

Heroic Warrior

How did King Grayskull get the electronic Power Sword?

Maybe one of the more learned orgers can answer me this question,

If man at arms made the 'electronic' power sword for 2000x Adam , then how come King grayskull has it years before?..... The first one to say Spector gets force fed a berryhordak

Technically KG doesn't have the 200x sword in MOTUC canon. He used the regular power sword. Prior to that, he used the axe and shield.

People tend to display him with it because that's how the character was introduced.

Heroic Warrior
    The sword MAA made could be a replica of the previous electronic power sword. How else would Duncan know how to construct a conductor that taps into the most powerful (and secretive) magic on Eternia?

Imc- He-ro makes the original electronic Power Sword for King Grayskull. Once He-Ro falls, KG takes HR's much stronger sword (as per official MOTUC canon).

You're confusing two different canons. In the 200x canon, KG owned the electronic power sword and passed it to Adam. In the classics canon, KG had the original power sword passed along from He-ro and Adam used the electronic power sword made by MAA until he could find both halves of the original power sword.

200x fans just like displaying KG with the electronic power sword
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Technically KG doesn't have the 200x sword in MOTUC canon. He used the regular power sword. Prior to that, he used the axe and shield.
    To be specific, in the Classics canon King Grayskull used the blue sword that He-Ro had. It turned gray after KG died, when the energy was transferred to the orb in Castle Grayskull.