Thread: How many concept versions of He-man were there? (Vikor, Oo-Larr, Helmeted, etc)

Court Magician

How many concept versions of He-man were there? (Vikor, Oo-Larr, Helmeted, etc)

I'm only a casual MOTU fan so I wondered if you knowledgeable folks could fill me in on how many concept/early versions of He-man there have actually been?

I'm talking real world history of the franchise here (not "in-universe" lore), before the character was properly established.

I've done a little research and these are the ones I've found so far:

-dark-haired/helmeted barbarian concept sketch (aka "Vikor")
    -tarzan-like version with spear artwork (aka "Oo-Larr")
    -silver-helmeted Tony Guerrero toy prototype (no official name but fans have suggested "Guerrer-Or" or "Megaton Man")
    -interchangeable gear toy prototypes (aka "Vykron")
    -chest-belt concept sketch (aka "Torak")

Are there any others I've missed? Details/pics would be appreciated if so.
    Last edited by theassassin; April 21, 2015 at 01:46pm.

Heroic Warrior
    It came much later, but I seem to recall (I think it was in the Tomarts article or in the Power and Honor book) something about a proposed H.E.-M.A.N. relaunch between the original line and New Adventures that would have harkened a bit to the Vykron idea and had a more military style to it.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Karg, Andros, Monstroid, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Too many.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

This is my favorite He-Man concept, and also the closest to the standard He-Man:

a8894928.gif
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    This is my favorite He-Man concept, and also the closest to the standard He-Man:

a8894928.gif
    where did that come from? s'cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    It came much later, but I seem to recall (I think it was in the Tomarts article or in the Power and Honor book) something about a proposed H.E.-M.A.N. relaunch between the original line and New Adventures that would have harkened a bit to the Vykron idea and had a more military style to it.
    I think H.E/M.A.N. (who I really like) came from the development process that resulted in New Adventures of He-Man? The whole 'redesign He-Man into a new genre' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    where did that come from? s'cool.
    It was drawn by Mark Taylor, who designed most of the first 8-10 MOTU figures as well as Castle Grayskull (Ted Mayer assisted with the sculpt, and also designed the Battle Ram/Wind Raider and other figures that came out later). This is He-Man as he looked very soon before the toys came out. The story goes that at the last minute someone said to get rid of the helmet.

Those boots (including the knife) show up in the first mini comics, but the boots were simplified in the production figure. The style of his belt was was the same in the concept Beast Man drawings, and that belt also shows up in the first mini comic, worn by Beast Man.
    By the ancients!!!

Why do I find it kind of humorous that it points out his teeth are white?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post

a8894928.gif
    I would love to have this figure, with the knife in his boot and helmeted head.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Lodar, Hunga the Harpy, Sharella, Snake Goddess & Hawke

FILMATION ruined my He-Man!

I don't want "Rejected" AKA Concept He-Mans anymore ! Just give me the classic coloured, filmation He-Man that we all know !
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    GOD IS THERE !!!! Because He Has Given My Filmation Variants ANNNNNNNNNND MY Filmation Skeletor !!!

The tony guerro character actually had a name according to the power and honor book, and his name was Megaton, you could check it out on page 11

Court Magician
    Thanks for the replies so far. Interesting to hear that the Tony G. prototype was dubbed "Megaton", I was not aware of this.

I wouldn't count the H.E.M.A.N. soldier concept in my list personally as I'm just looking at the history of the original line before the character was properly established but thanks for the suggestion.

Never seen that sketch before, Lich Leech, thanks! Is there a widespread name for this version of the character or just a standard way to refer to it (e.g. "the orange helmet he-man" or something)

Anyone else got any more concept/early versions of He-man that have not yet been mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenskull View Post
    I would love to have this figure, with the knife in his boot and helmeted head.
    Very much this! I need that boot-knife in my life.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Quote Originally Posted by theassassin View Post

Never seen that sketch before, Lich Leech, thanks! Is there a widespread name for this version of the character or just a standard way to refer to it (e.g. "the orange helmet he-man" or something)
    He doesn't have a particular name that I know of. It would be hard to retcon him as a new character too, since he looks pretty much like He-Man with a helmet.
    By the ancients!!!

Heroic Warrior
    See I find these sort of things interesting
    Helmeted Headed He-Man had the name Megaton? Interesting, He-Man was changed at the last minute to be helmetless (allegedly)? Interesting. These facts all in the same place? handy.

No the tony guerreo heman was called megaton not the helmeted heman

the-beastmaster-original.jpg

I'm still waiting for Mattycollector to make Kodo and Podo.....
    WHERE IS THE TRANSPARENCY?

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

3 Club Eternia, 3 Club 200X, 2 Collectors' Choice. 1 Beast Man. 1 Camo Khan. 1 Granymyr

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Too many.
    At least in Classics!!!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    The tony guerro character actually had a name according to the power and honor book, and his name was Megaton, you could check it out on page 11
    Just looked this up and in the power and honor book it does indeed says Roger Sweet originally named the developing He-man character "Megaton Man" (taken from a document dated November 3rd, 1980). However the pictures on that page are sketches of Vikor - the Tony Guerrero prototype isn't shown till a few pages later.

So may I ask how did you come to the conclusion that the Guerrero helmeted prototype would take this name? The name "Megaton Man" doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the text on the Guerrero prototype pages. Obviously it is ONE of the early He-Man names, but I just wondered why you have attributed it specifically to the Guerrero prototype. Not trying to be disrespectful, just curious.

I just went back to the notes that I took from the pooh book and reread that page and you are indeed right, so I apologize for the misinformation. When the the book first came out, the Guerrero variant was the only one with out a name and megaton was the only name not used and it existed as a historic reference, therefore I assigned it to him, and forgot I did that thinking that the document referred to guerreos heman. It had been a couple since I actually read the book just remembering some details of what I had read and some threads I had started. Again sorry for the misinformation , I stand corrected, although moving forward I still think that megaton is a good way of using a historically heman name and applying it to the only prototype still without a proper name.
    Quote Originally Posted by theassassin View Post
    Just looked this up and in the power and honor book it does indeed says Roger Sweet originally named the developing He-man character "Megaton Man" (taken from a document dated November 3rd, 1980). However the pictures on that page are sketches of Vikor - the Tony Guerrero prototype isn't shown till a few pages later.

So may I ask how did you come to the conclusion that the Guerrero helmeted prototype would take this name? The name "Megaton Man" doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the text on the Guerrero prototype pages. Obviously it is ONE of the early He-Man names, but I just wondered why you have attributed it specifically to the Guerrero prototype. Not trying to be disrespectful, just curious.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    I just went back to the notes that I took from the pooh book and reread that page and you are indeed right, so I apologize for the misinformation. When the the book first came out, the Guerrero variant was the only one with out a name and megaton was the only name not used and it existed as a historic reference, therefore I assigned it to him, and forgot I did that thinking that the document referred to guerreos heman. It had been a couple since I actually read the book just remembering some details of what I had read and some threads I had started. Again sorry for the misinformation , I stand corrected, although moving forward I still think that megaton is a good way of using a historically heman name and applying it to the only prototype still without a proper name.
    Thanks for the clarification, and yes I agree if Mattel ever made the Tony Guerrero helmeted character, Megaton Man would be a good choice for the name.

According to wikipedia, in addition to "Megaton Man", other names considered for He-man were "Mighty Man", "Strong Man" and "Big Man". Though I have no idea if there is a reliable source for that information anywhere. "Megaton Man" is the only one I can personally find evidence for.
    Last edited by theassassin; April 21, 2015 at 01:49pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The only problem with the name Megaton Man now is that there has since been a long-running unrelated independent comic character with that name.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Karg, Andros, Monstroid, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    The only problem with the name Megaton Man now is that there has since been a long-running unrelated independent comic character with that name.
    Oh right lol. Guess Mattel would have to use something else then. Guerrer-Or might be cool. Personally I'd love to see MOTUC versions of both the silver helmeted character and Torak

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I seen that a custom head of Guerrer-Or has been available to purchase.
    think I will buy & make a custom for myself.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor