Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 132 Discussion

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 132 Discussion

Episode 132 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Nate Baertsch, Rob Base and Daniel Benedict are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    personal websites,
    Fall of Grayskull,
    Alan Oppenheimer,
    behind the scenes stories,
    shooting time & editing,
    Evil-Lyn,
    melting face,
    Teela,
    flatulence,
    challenges in completing the film,
    editing software and camera,
    green screen VS a set,
    characters wanted in the film,
    casting,
    music/score,
    camera limitations and cinematography,
    criticism,
    sword of power,
    actors working with a green screen,
    source material for inspiration,
    future of a He-Man film,
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on January 12, 2016
    Runtime: 0 hour, 58 minutes, 51 seconds

Direct link for Episode 132

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Nice just over an hour
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

I can't believe how frequently the episodes are coming out now! I'm actually an episode BEHIND!! I'm so excited!! =D
    Check out my blog, Toy Review Daily: A New Toy Review, 366 Days a Year! http://www.toyreviewdaily.com

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Love it! Thanks, all, for putting your time into these. So good to have them back.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

I just watched the movie, so it will be nice to listen to a discussion about it. Thanks!

Great episode, so awesome to hear the details about how the movie came together. And did I hear correctly? There's a music video spoof featuring Castle Grayskull Man? This MUST BE RELEASED!

So, these podcasts are great to have, but they don't taste like Gooble anymore. Val, you are great, but even Axl Rose could not keep Guns and Roses afloat very well by himself. Is it possible any of the more original vintage Gooble crew will at least make occasional appearances if not larger stints in appearing?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    So, these podcasts are great to have, but they don't taste like Gooble anymore. Val, you are great, but even Axel Rose could not keep Guns and Roses afloat very well by himself. Is it possible any of the more original vintage Gooble crew will at least make occasional appearances if not larger stints in appearing?
    I'll respectfully disagree only because it isn't the people on the cast but how you perceive the show. Over the years RGD has had so many different hosts and it's always stayed true to itself.

If you don't like any of us for any reason that is more than cool but The show is always good ( to me anyway) thanks for listening. Also hope that we can change your mind!
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    So, these podcasts are great to have, but they don't taste like Gooble anymore. Val, you are great, but even Axl Rose could not keep Guns and Roses afloat very well by himself. Is it possible any of the more original vintage Gooble crew will at least make occasional appearances if not larger stints in appearing?
    Very few podcasts with talkshow formats keep the same hosts from season to season. It just takes getting used to the new ideas and opinions. RGD at its core is about celebrating all things He-Man and She-Ra, the hosts may change, but that's the basic foundation.

Personally, I hope they add at least one more female perspective to the mix. He-Man/MOTU is one of the few properties I find in which the female portion of the fanbase is as excited as the male portions.

I really enjoyed how Shadow Weaver was pulled off. It's nice to see a live action canon where one can see a CGM or Shadow Weaver and not just the standard three A-listers from each faction.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Great episode everyone!

Was very intriguing to listen to Daniel talk about the process and thoughts behind the fan film.
    Would be curious to see some of the storyboard-art for it too!

Already made my opinion clear during Grayskull-Con to Daniel, and I'm just happy that MOTU even has
    fan-films (from two makers!) under its belt.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Personally, I hope they add at least one more female perspective to the mix. He-Man/MOTU is one of the few properties I find in which the female portion of the fanbase is as excited as the male portions.
    Aside from Transformers and Star Wars....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lentzquest View Post
    I really enjoyed how Shadow Weaver was pulled off. It's nice to see a live action canon where one can see a CGM or Shadow Weaver and not just the standard three A-listers from each faction.
    Amen. I'm glad that Battleground Teela showed up too.

While the majority of fans are used to Teela being a redhead, it's always nice to see support for her original blonde Pre-Filmation incarnation. Blonde Bikini Teela isn't as popular as redhaired Teela, but she does have her fanbase.

I appreciated that Daniel used the versions that he preferred. I'm sure if I publicized a non-official MOTU comic or something, I would use the versions of characters that I preferred (ie, Teela would be blonde, Ram Man would be in cardback colors, Sy-Klone would be the 200X version, etc.)

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

great show ...

I just watched the FOG movie on you tube ... I absolutely LOVED the intro voice-over shots - really reminiscent of the '87 movie!!! (not sure if that was intentional or not, but it worked for me!!!!) ...

and I'm personally loving the new RGD roster - I like how the show has evolved over the years, and rob, nate and daniel are AWESOME co-hosts ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Really enjoyed the FOG movie, it's quite an accomplishment. Of course, there are (mostly budget related) issues, but it's definitely a must watch! The costumes were definitely amazing as everyone said, and really elevated the movie. I really liked the special effects as well. The green screen stuff didn't work out too bad, actually, it gave the movie a stylistic feel that made it easier to suspend disbelief. Of course, practical sets or location shooting would probably look better, but it was the right choice considering the budget and time table.

I think Shadow Weaver was the most successful on screen. I really liked the special effects, the costume, and the foreign language voiceover (what language was that? Was it made up for the movie?). There was something weird going on with her mouth underneath the veil that was very unsettling, but cool. The only tweak I would have made is that there's a couple shots where I didn't like how the material reflected the light.

Skeletor I thought was great as well. His performance was definitely the best, really fit the character well. The voiceover was pretty much perfect. The costume looked great too, although the nose was a bit distracting. It looked better in the initial shots when it was cloaked in shadow, or when you viewed it head on, the illusion held up a bit more. I think that maybe from a technical perspective, limiting the lighting and the angles you shot Skeletor with would have helped remedy that.

The surprise character was great, and I think he looked really awesome on screen. I liked the upping of the scale. Is it the same actor that plays He-Man? It's really cool to see ideas from the toyline in real life form, I hope he gets at least a cameo in a Hollywood movie.

The power sword being a unique design is totally cool, I think it's good to do your own thing with the character, especially when everything else is so faithful.

I'm a fan or horror movies and gore, but I must say I was a little surprised with the gruesomeness of this movie. Not that I disagree with it, just that it has a certain 'finality' that we haven't really seen before in other He-Man media. I really really liked the callback to Indiana Jones with the Evil Lyn effect, and the Tri Klops demise really made me chuckle. When it comes to the "killing blows" on Sorceress and Skeletor I think they were slightly too drawn out, I think just having them be very sudden and quick would have had a bit more impact.

I really liked the after credits scene, but I was kind of expecting/hoping for Skeletor to pop up ala the 87 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Very few podcasts with talkshow formats keep the same hosts from season to season. It just takes getting used to the new ideas and opinions. RGD at its core is about celebrating all things He-Man and She-Ra, the hosts may change, but that's the basic foundation.

I agree, it's great to hear some new perspectives. He-Man attracts a very diverse fanbase, and it's great to hear from everyone. I think it would be cool if maybe some of the more vocal fans on the forum maybe were brought on for guest appearances. I nominate MegaGearMax .
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; January 20, 2016 at 11:27am.

I was all set to listen to this, and then my son dropped my cell phone into the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I was all set to listen to this, and then my son dropped my cell phone into the toilet

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post

Gah!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Great episode. It was very interesting hearing about the BTS that went into making the fan film!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Gah!
    The good news: it's dried out and working now.

The bad new: now I have to use the toilet phone

As an Apple fanboy, I would like to point out that Adobe Premiere (and After Effects) are available on a Mac.
    -Jon

Just released EPISODE 60 - Ten Year Anniversary of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I hope to see you at Power-Con 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    As an Apple fanboy, I would like to point out that Adobe Premiere (and After Effects) are available on a Mac.
    Yeah we know but still love my PC
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

The gap between Mac and PC has closed a lot in the past few years (especially since Apple started using Intel CPUs), so really, it's more of a matter of preference/familiarity with the OS. I've used both, they both have their strengths.

Cool episode. Interesting behind the scenes stuff. You can tell a lot of love went into this project.

I can't get the sound to work to listen to the last 3 podcasts. Not sure how to fix. Tried on the iTunes app and store and it's just buzzing
    Feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Formerly known as facelessone101. Now fisto power

Email facelessone@he-fans.org

Quote Originally Posted by fisto power View Post
    I can't get the sound to work to listen to the last 3 podcasts. Not sure how to fix. Tried on the iTunes app and store and it's just buzzing
    Are you listening via a tablet/phone or from PC?
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective