Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No preorder on Snake Mountain? Has something change since CG?

No preorder on Snake Mountain? Has something change since CG?

It's been bothering me for some time now, in a good way mind you, but we all remember how the CG came to be: with the pre-sale to gauge interest, with all the Fans helping out to get the needed minimum no. of orders before the CG was even confirmed. And all of this with just the blueprints and then the foam model presented by Scott.

Then we all remember the drama that unfolded when we've been informed about making the CG smaller then initially proposed, that ticked a lot of fans followed by the jaw bridge being moved down to make more space for the figure when it's open (BTW personally I really wish with this change we didn't loose the green vine that was originally sculpted with 1st shorter bridge and was dropped with the 2nd). In result a lot of fans canceled their orders and back then the CG was considered effectively a flop.

Now, fast forward a few years and we've been completely surprised not by just some plans but by an actual prototype sculpt of the Snake Mountain! Now, don't get me wrong, just like a lot of you, I too was hoping we might get a SM someday, but I can't help but wonder, what changed? Is Mattel really so sure SM will sell they don't even do the presale at all this time around? The preparation of the sculpt alone is a very expensive process so they clearly already made a decision to develop it (Hooray!) but I'm really curious, what changed? Since until the last sale when the CG seems to have finally sold out, we were told the amount of time and resources, resources that are already very limited, that took for the CG to put out, made the chances of releasing the SM a very slim at best.. Yet here we are ;-) What do you all think?
    Creative web design studio from London - Handcrafted pixels since 2004

First off, I might've gotten the wrong impression, but you should be aware that Snake Mountain is not yet a "go" in any way. The existence of a prototype is more than we got with CG, but that's still a far cry from actual production. As for "no presale" - has this already been confirmed? In that case I must've missed that announcement...

As to "what has changed": Firstly - and I guess most importantly - CG set a precedence for a big playset. They saw it could be sold, which was still a big uncertainty when the first brought it up. Secondly, the "Classics" line has been mostly finished ("Collector's Choice" not withstanding), very likely allowing more "creative power" as well as time being dedicated to such a project, including the prototype. Also, it allows more production slots and -time to be assigned to "non figures" (something that many folks seem to forget whenever "production numbers" are brought up - there's more to that than simply adding another "0" at the end of the order). Also, new leadership on many levels at Mattel.

I'm actually quite intrigued to see where it'll all go for me - allthough (or maybe because) I have zero interest in purchasing one.
    Every thread about every MotUC-reveal, ever...

The Sword of Spector - forged in the scorching flames of nerdrage and tempered by the woeful tears of the butthurt

I think they just haven't done the pre-sale for Snake Mountain yet. I highly doubt they are going to just produce this thing without guaranteeing some kind of minimum order is fulfilled. My bet is that they will reveal more at New York Toy Fair in February and then put the pre-sale up at that point. I believe it was said at SDCC that this time the pre-order may include some kind of initial non-refundable deposit to prevent some of the cancellations that happened with Castle Grayskull late in the game.

With the Collector's Choice in July/August and Classics 2.0 in October, they probably wanted to space out the pre-orders a bit so that it wasn't so much all at once. Trying to pre-sell it right now would probably be a bad idea. I don't think it's just going to happen without a pre-sale though.
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Quakke, Lizzor, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Hawke, Artilla, Hoove, Kayo, ABC Giants

They said at SDCC that we would know more about Snake Mountain at Toy Fair and that's in February 2016. I think they wanted to get Collectors Choice and the New Animated Filmation He-Man subs out of the way first. They already stated at SDCC that Snake Mountain will require a Presale or some sort of Kickstarter. So expect details at New York toy fair on this.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I believe it was said at SDCC that this time the pre-order may include some kind of initial non-refundable deposit to prevent some of the cancellations that happened with Castle Grayskull late in the game.
    That was truly a raw deal for Mattel and any fan who did in fact agree to order one simply to see the Castle go through only to cancel later should be shame faced. This go round Mattel is well within their rights to require a deposit. Obviously once burned and I'm glad that they've learned fandom can be tricksey.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by robaczek View Post
    It's been bothering me for some time now, in a good way mind you, but we all remember how the CG came to be: with the pre-sale to gauge interest, with all the Fans helping out to get the needed minimum no. of orders before the CG was even confirmed. And all of this with just the blueprints and then the foam model presented by Scott.

Then we all remember the drama that unfolded when we've been informed about making the CG smaller then initially proposed, that ticked a lot of fans followed by the jaw bridge being moved down to make more space for the figure when it's open (BTW personally I really wish with this change we didn't loose the green vine that was originally sculpted with 1st shorter bridge and was dropped with the 2nd). In result a lot of fans canceled their orders and back then the CG was considered effectively a flop.

Now, fast forward a few years and we've been completely surprised not by just some plans but by an actual prototype sculpt of the Snake Mountain! Now, don't get me wrong, just like a lot of you, I too was hoping we might get a SM someday, but I can't help but wonder, what changed? Is Mattel really so sure SM will sell they don't even do the presale at all this time around? The preparation of the sculpt alone is a very expensive process so they clearly already made a decision to develop it (Hooray!) but I'm really curious, what changed? Since until the last sale when the CG seems to have finally sold out, we were told the amount of time and resources, resources that are already very limited, that took for the CG to put out, made the chances of releasing the SM a very slim at best.. Yet here we are ;-) What do you all think?
    If I recall correctly the prototype was not complete at the time it was revealed (though I think we got some pics showing a more finished prototype recently) and preorders or orders would not happen until mid to late 2016 anyway no? I know once we see the prototype that we get antsy but, "all good things-" I get the impression there is still a lot of logistical work to be done on the set.

I was wondering if the Grayskull mark down was intended to free up real estate for the new SM set.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; December 10, 2015 at 10:25am.

I know a lot of people love what they've shown but part of me hopes they take it back to the drawing board. I think it's simply dreadful.

I think they learned a lot of things from doing Castle Grayskull, so this time, it's a different process. One difference is that they probably are pretty confident that fans will support it, so they want to get it as close to final as possible so fans don't feel like "bait and switch." Also, they'll probably require a deposit on pre-order this time to prevent to lessen the sting of cancellations or no shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    That was truly a raw deal for Mattel and any fan who did in fact agree to order one simply to see the Castle go through only to cancel later should be shame faced. This go round Mattel is well within their rights to require a deposit. Obviously once burned and I'm glad that they've learned fandom can be tricksey.
    The pre-order cancellation was offered by Mattel because they underdelivered and increased the price. The pre-order was set at $200 for a bigger castle. They then shrunk it and increased the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post
    The pre-order cancellation was offered by Mattel because they underdelivered and increased the price. The pre-order was set at $200 for a bigger castle. They then shrunk it and increased the price.
    Your half correct. The castle did shrink after the pre-order but the price for those that ordered did not go up. The initial price was $250.00 from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Your half correct. The castle did shrink after the pre-order but the price for those that ordered did not go up. The initial price was $250.00 from the start.

This is correct the preorder price was indeed $250 as I was one that preordered. It was NEVER less than $250 for preorder, Yes it was smaller than the original B-Sheet said it would be but Mattel also underestimated the cost for the size.

With Snake Mountain it seems they learned from Grayskull showed us something big Not just a B-Sheet and told us it would need to be shrunk some and I believe they are only planning to shrink the taller end with the snake. I just hope they don't shrink it much.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

The Castle shrunk after pre-orders were placed. Mattel should be ashamed for baiting and switching. Anyone who canceled or who simply failed to complete the sale was in the right.

As for Snake Mountain, it is interesting that we are now a year out and there has been no pre-order. Either there won't be one, or it will be a much shorter period of time than the Castle had.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    The Castle shrunk after pre-orders were placed. Mattel should be ashamed for baiting and switching. Anyone who canceled or who simply failed to complete the sale was in the right.

As for Snake Mountain, it is interesting that we are now a year out and there has been no pre-order. Either there won't be one, or it will be a much shorter period of time than the Castle had.
    The Preorder for snake Mountain will be in 2016, most likely we will have news on this at New York ToyFair in February and will probably be delivered in 2017 since it will take them time to manufacture it after the Preorder meets it's goal.

How about everyone just relaxes and doesn't worry about it? They offer it when they offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    How about everyone just relaxes and doesn't worry about it? They offer it when they offer it.
    Exactly ^^^^^^^

I like the sound of that.

When is Eternia coming out?

Elder Councilman
    And lest we forget, we don't know if and what the scrambling may be behind the scenes with the strong belief that SLC jumped ship a short time ago.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I wouldn't call it a "bait and switch."

If Mattel had charged CCs and shipped these out before we found out about the size change, then yes I would agree but Mattel didn't do that. They notified buyers and let people cancel if they wanted to. There was nothing shady done and nothing to be ashamed of.

Heroic Warrior
    If memory serves the pre order for CG didn't start until at least March or some time last year. I know they did that to gage interest. Heck the Eco-1 didn't get its number and we all know what happened there. I will say that fan interest is strong with Snake Mountain. Skelletor and is crew need to have their crash pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    My bad but it was $200 at one point when they were pitching it. But yeah, $250 when pre-orders opened.

- - - Updated - - -

My main concern is the jacked up shipping now. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

If Mattel had charged CCs and shipped these out before we found out about the size change, then yes I would agree but Mattel didn't do that. They notified buyers and let people cancel if they wanted to. There was nothing shady done and nothing to be ashamed of.
    Fair, true, and well reasoned.

For my experience this thing, the Castle, is huge with many people not even being able to display it. I certainly have had nothing but absolute love for this as is, rather than still be bitter somehow of a slightly larger size or possible expectations.

It is the crown of the collection and any problems with it I may have had (that hole in the floor, lack of a second orb for that holder, jail cell walls being attached very well, no small weapons rack) I either have fixed (I built a custom grate to cover the hole and it looks boss, built a custom small rack) gotten over (jail cell, paint scratch right on the blue gem on the throne) or can fix in the future (second orb)

I look forward to a possible Snake Mountain since it is and always has been clearly the second "holy grail" for this line, and the fact that it could come is only further proof of the dedication to this line by passionate creators, and our luck to be a part of the fandom.

Here's to more info as it occurs. We are hungry for more, but it will be worth the wait if we are lucky enough to have it made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

Massively changing it AFTER taking orders is hardly transparent.

I happen to love the Classics Castle. It has a few issues, but its a beautiful piece. However, I find it amazing how much they changed it after getting the orders.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Widget
    Are there any new bits of info on SM floating around? Haven't seen much around the matty website.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbeast View Post
    Are there any new bits of info on SM floating around? Haven't seen much around the matty website.
    They said at SDCC we would know more on it at NYTF in February 2016