Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The official MOTUC Fangman Thread

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    I completely disagree.
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Yeah, he has to be cartoonish because he's from the cartoon

But also because he is a MOTU figure / character!

They are ALL a bit cartoonish. That's what makes them cool.

Cartoony = cool.

Good. That's settled.

But in all seriousness jzachery is right.
    Fang Man does look good in person - he looks pretty ferocious, which is great. The figure is sculpted well and the accessories are cool.
    Absolutely, and just like Randor before him, I will buy multiples of Fang Man because he is so true to the Filmation show!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    For toy collectors at large, there's a noticeable difference between the figures that feature a more sophisticated mature look (Draego, Fisto, Teela) and those which are more on the cartoony side (Clawful, Fang Man, Leech). It's an obvious, immediately noticeable disparity.

If you're a huge fan of the way Filmation looks, obviously you won't have a problem with it.

But MotU's true roots are NOT in cartoons, but in a toy line. That's just a simple fact.
    But Fang Man's roots are in the cartoon. Created for the episode in which he appears, and not the toyline...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Kinda disappointed by Fang Man.

Between this and Filmation Randor, doesn't give me much confidence that the Filmation figures will be that cool.

Here's more of what I was hoping for in Fang Man as delivered by the 4H as part of an adult collector line:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...es/fangman.jpg
    I see nothing wrong with what we are getting, to me he's better than Clawful & Whiplash....although I am getting tired of seeing Skeletor's shins everywhere. Him, Snakeface....They both should have gotten the Khan shins.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Its a minor gripe, but he does look a little weird against some of the more realistic sculpts. My whole issue with how to display this entire line has been with varied appearance of the sculpts---some are hyper-real (Fisto) and detailed, while others are hyper-cartoony, (Clawful) and most register somewhere inbetween, Hordak, Skeletor, etc... They all look good for what they are depicting, its just the difference between the detailing and style that makes it hard to display Fang-Man next to Vikor.
    I display mine as they are released, side by side on narrow shelves, and they look just fine like that. It shows a wide variety of style, and also shows how things have somewhat evolved since 2008.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    But Fang Man's roots are in the cartoon. Created for the episode in which he appears, and not the toyline...
    So Procrustus should've been in "Mini Comic Style" as opposed to the "MOTUC Style" he was made in?

That doesn't make any sense, and here's why: we're talking specifically about a toyline here, and especially a toyline that, from its outset claimed one major goal was to create a line that had one cohesive style, that sent each character through the same filters to help ensure the same look and feel for everyone.

This is why, we were told, that vintage action features, 200x design elements, and PoP rooted hair/glitter, and other elements had to be eliminated. That no matter what the source, these were all going to look like they came from the same line.

So by all of those measures, MOTUC hasn't been nearly as successful as it could've been, and it's thanks in large part IMO to the Filmation influence which has been able to unnaturally survive other design elements which could've been more beneficial to a modern, adult collector line aiming to stand the test of time.

Fang Man should look nothing like "cartoon-accurate", and everything like "MOTUC-accurate".

Evil Master of Laceration mikescab's Avatar
    Wow, talk about splitting hairs you guys! JK
    I think Fang Man looks great!
    Mike Scabs

Heroic Warrior
    I love Fang Man's look, but I do have to agree that there is some serious differences in the way the head-sculpts of Fisto, Jitsu, Draego-Man and Clamp Champ have turned out versus Mer-Man, Clawful, Buzz Off and even He-Man. There should be a more standardized middle ground look.

Heroic Warrior
    Can someone tell me exactly what on this figure is in "cartoon" style versus Classics style? I keep looking for it, and I can't find it. The arms and legs use pre-existing parts from other Classics figures; they are in the Classics style. The tunic looks like someone took the the cartoon for influence and then made updates to match the sculpting available in today's toys/figures (in fact, some who claim he's too cartoony have stated they like the detail on the tunic); I assume that counts as Classics style. His head looks like what we should expect an update from vintage to Classics to look like, with the addition of articulated tongue and jaw; looks like Classics style to me.

I saw someone post a pic of what they would have hoped he looked like, and the only differences were he had big/more teeth, less wrinkles on his neck and smaller fins. Really? Less detail and lots of teeth "Classics"?

I know he never had a figure in the 80s, but I think that if he had the figure we are getting now looks like what I would imagine a Classicized update to look like. He is influenced by the cartoon, but he is not literally the cartoon brought to life. Eternos Palace Randor looks like he stepped out of an animation cel from the old cartoon, no added lines or details. Fang Man looks like someone stylized and refined the cartoon model before he stepped out of the cel.

By the way, I love how the side shots show the back of the tunic in profile and you can see the "hump" caused by it fitting over one of his protruding fins. Such a cool little detail.

This year totally rocks!!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    For toy collectors at large, there's a noticeable difference between the figures that feature a more sophisticated mature look (Draego, Fisto, Teela) and those which are more on the cartoony side (Clawful, Fang Man, Leech). It's an obvious, immediately noticeable disparity.

But MotU's true roots are NOT in cartoons, but in a toy line. That's just a simple fact.
    But Clawful and Leech are based directly ON the vintage toyline versions. Put Fang Man next to either of those guys and I guarantee he'll fit in just fine with them.

As the Grumpy Old Dragon pointed out, MOTU has always had a diversity of styles, from the more realistic to the more cartoony. This was the case even within the vintage toyline itself.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Can someone tell me exactly what on this figure is in "cartoon" style versus Classics style? I keep looking for it, and I can't find it. The arms and legs use pre-existing parts from other Classics figures; they are in the Classics style. The tunic looks like someone took the the cartoon for influence and then made updates to match the sculpting available in today's toys/figures (in fact, some who claim he's too cartoony have stated they like the detail on the tunic); I assume that counts as Classics style. His head looks like what we should expect an update from vintage to Classics to look like, with the addition of articulated tongue and jaw; looks like Classics style to me.

I saw someone post a pic of what they would have hoped he looked like, and the only differences were he had big/more teeth, less wrinkles on his neck and smaller fins. Really? Less detail and lots of teeth "Classics"?

I know he never had a figure in the 80s, but I think that if he had the figure we are getting now looks like what I would imagine a Classicized update to look like. He is influenced by the cartoon, but he is not literally the cartoon brought to life. Eternos Palace Randor looks like he stepped out of an animation cel from the old cartoon, no added lines or details. Fang Man looks like someone stylized and refined the cartoon model before he stepped out of the cel.

By the way, I love how the side shots show the back of the tunic in profile and you can see the "hump" caused by it fitting over one of his protruding fins. Such a cool little detail.

This year totally rocks!!
    Some people pick things apart too much, that's the problem.

I think Fang Man will fit just fine anywhere, he has the looks of any other Vintage figure updated, if that character had a Vintage figure in the first place. I display my figures in a single file side by side arrangement, in order of release....so in my collection, he'll fit with little effort, and look just fine among the others. I have no care for the character really, even though I love Filmation, but he does kind of look cool, and the Filmation Accessories....do help.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    As the Grumpy Old Dragon pointed out, MOTU has always had a diversity of styles, from the more realistic to the more cartoony. This was the case even within the vintage toyline itself.
    Agreed. That's what makes MOTU/POP special, I think. The sometimes wacky diversity. When we were kids, the imagination glossed over the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    although I am getting tired of seeing Skeletor's shins everywhere.
    Actually, It is a newly tooled & updated Skeletor shins with hidden peg holes. I am so glad they did that !! I do see you are "bored" with this, but hey, atleast he is not coming with those dreadful "Duck Feet" !!

Not sure what others think about MOTUC Fang Man, but to me, he Is AWESOME ! Period !!
    I Can't Wait For MOTU 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Actually, It is a newly tooled & updated Skeletor shins with hidden peg holes. I am so glad they did that !! I do see you are "bored" with this, but hey, atleast he is not coming with those dreadful "Duck Feet" !!

Not sure what others think about MOTUC Fang Man, but to me, he Is AWESOME ! Period !!
    I didn't notice they were updated shins....hmm

As for those feet, Snakeface is though...., and Snakeface should have gotten the Khan shins I think....

But honestly, I didn't have to have a Fang Face figure, I love Filmation but he does look cool, and the fact he comes with Filmation accessories is what really makes me want to keep him once I get him.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    As for those feet, Snakeface is though...., and Snakeface should have gotten the Khan shins I think....
    You are 100% right about Snake Face !!
    I Can't Wait For MOTU 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Procrustus should've been in "Mini Comic Style" as opposed to the "MOTUC Style" he was made in?

That doesn't make any sense, and here's why: we're talking specifically about a toyline here, and especially a toyline that, from its outset claimed one major goal was to create a line that had one cohesive style, that sent each character through the same filters to help ensure the same look and feel for everyone.

This is why, we were told, that vintage action features, 200x design elements, and PoP rooted hair/glitter, and other elements had to be eliminated. That no matter what the source, these were all going to look like they came from the same line.

So by all of those measures, MOTUC hasn't been nearly as successful as it could've been, and it's thanks in large part IMO to the Filmation influence which has been able to unnaturally survive other design elements which could've been more beneficial to a modern, adult collector line aiming to stand the test of time.

Fang Man should look nothing like "cartoon-accurate", and everything like "MOTUC-accurate".
    While I think I'm ok with Fang Man, I definitely agree with what you're saying in regards to the rather sporadic application of the "Classics Machine" and how figures are interpreted.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I've just never been a fan of cartoony elements whatsoever when it comes to MotU, and once you've seen the potential in more "serious" (but not serious with a capital S) less-goofy interpretation of the property (shown to us by vintage box art, the Horsemen, fan art, and heck, even the 1987 movie to an extent) it's hard to come back from. It's really hard to have seen the visionary Staction Leech and then try to accept MOTUC Leech as "just as cool".

And Fang Man for me was definitely one of those characters with a LOT of potential to have a "new life" so to speak as interpreted by the 4H for MOTUC--which at its best (IMO) is an adult collector line enjoyed by action figure collectors universally, whether they ever liked MotU or not. But instead, he's pretty much very Filmation-accurate in tone, with just some detail added here and there. No revelation I was hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash it as "worst figure ever" or anything, just using it to express my disappointment as to the general lack of cohesion in the line due most egregiously to the cartoony elements that have been increasingly prevalent.

Box Art and Bio Up. He looks incredible:

Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I've just never been a fan of cartoony elements whatsoever when it comes to MotU, and once you've seen the potential in more "serious" (but not serious with a capital S) less-goofy interpretation of the property (shown to us by vintage box art, the Horsemen, fan art, and heck, even the 1987 movie to an extent) it's hard to come back from. It's really hard to have seen the visionary Staction Leech and then try to accept MOTUC Leech as "just as cool".

And Fang Man for me was definitely one of those characters with a LOT of potential to have a "new life" so to speak as interpreted by the 4H for MOTUC--which at its best (IMO) is an adult collector line enjoyed by action figure collectors universally, whether they ever liked MotU or not. But instead, he's pretty much very Filmation-accurate in tone, with just some detail added here and there. No revelation I was hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash it as "worst figure ever" or anything, just using it to express my disappointment as to the general lack of cohesion in the line due most egregiously to the cartoony elements that have been increasingly prevalent.
    I have seen the movie....didn't like it, I read the comics....was never a comics fan then, still not now. Even after seeing all of that, I still prefer what got me into MOTU and the story I prefer....Filmation. And I don't like the 200X toy line....MOTUC is a much better line in my opinion....so i have no problem accepting the figures in this line for what they are, Vintage updates and new characters added that would appear as if they had Vintage toys, even though they didn't, and Fang Man looks just like what a Vintage updated Classics figure would look like.

I mean for me personally Fang Man is not an essential character at all, but I think he looks good, the Filmation accessories put him over the top for me as far as having to keep when I get him.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

He looks awesome. And I think the bio is good too.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

I'm REALLY looking forward to this guy! He looks like he's turned out really nice!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

He looks amazing!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I'm thinking that I may display him with the Snake Men. My Evil Warriors shelf is pretty packed as is, plus he doesn't really feel like one of Skeletor's crew to me.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

So is he the Beastman of dragons?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    For the people who need the bios written out...

Fang Man - Evil Fanged Minion of Skeletor

Evolved from the ancient Dragosaur species, Fang Man spent his youth in the Valley of Dragons. Skeletor recruited Fang Man after discovering his ability to control the fire-breathing dragons to do his bidding. Fang Man used the Dragosaurs of the past to assist the Evil Lord of Destruction in his evil plans when Skeletor used the Wheel of Infinity to go back in time and stop Castle Grayskull from being built. Eventually, defeated by He-Man, Skeletor abandoned Fang Man in the past where he resides with his ancestors on Dragosaur Isle, waiting for the return of his master. Fang Man has piercing teeth and uses his mind-control ability to manipulate fire-breathing species.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Figure: great
    Accessories: great
    Bio: ok

What bothers me, they did not say a single word about the sword of the ancients. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to get Fang-Man soon.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Heroic Warrior
    The one thing I'm not a fan of is the way the orange area on his tunic will look "disjointed" if you twist him at the waist, and where the tunic doesn't quite meet the belt in the pic. I understand the split at the belt is necessary for articulation, but it makes me wish they had that strip ending above the belt and made the top a mm or two longer... That waist cut in clothing is also my least favorite aspect of Dekker's figure. In my opinion, that disconnect in a line down the body breaks the look of the character.

Other than that minor gripe, I think he looks great and I can't wait to add him to the ranks!!

Oh good! They shoved that thick disc in his hand...nice to have his hand all warped open when I get 'em. *sigh*

Otherwise, he looks cool! I especially love that sword!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.