Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 300

Thread: The official MOTUC Fangman Thread

  1. #251
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I can absolutely appreciate elements from all across the different incarnations of MotU. And to be fair, the Filmation show was only intended for kids, so I can't knock it for being so. But to hold it with such reverence that it skews and alters our perception, even as adults, is something I will never understand.

    It's like being a DC fan and demanding Robin always have short-shorts with bare legs, yellow cape, and parted hair with a cheesy grin, or "That's not the real Robin!" At some point you need to recognize something was the way it was for the time and audience it was created for, but it's also OK for things to evolve with the style and taste of current culture.
    Easy....just as those that accept pre-Filmation as MOTU law....Filmation is law to those of us that love it....it's what we grew up on, it's what we know....how hard is that to comprehend?

    It's no different than me thinking why Mini Comic fans can get out of the stone age of ink and paper and deal with a TV show that reached far more people than flipping pages ever did. And my "culture" is just fine with accepting He-Man in his Filmation story....

    Hello, MOTU fans had an update....it didn't work, it was called 200X....Classics is working as is, even after almost failing it's still here and longer I might add than a contemporary update that was attempted and fizzled out with variants, and was left with nothing but basically statues after. Seems the current culture aside from a few in the minority category are just fine with Classics encompassing Filmation characters....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  2. #252
    Heroic Warrior King Criss79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    494
    I think most fans like a figure that brings nostalgia and it looks like Fang man jumped out of the cartoon.If I was a fan of filmation I'd be stoked.

  3. #253
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Despondos
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Incidentally, Stratos tastes like chicken.
    Why would an overgrown Monkey wearing feathers and a jet pack taste like chicken??

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Best line I've read on this site in WEEKS...

    But do you wax him instead of plucking?
    Pluck what? He's a monkey people, not a bird!


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Why would Skeletor try to stop Grayskull from being built? Considering he wants to capture its power, this makes no sense.
    That's a good point. Not like CG itself it anything other than a castle; it's the power orb he wants, and that would just get hidden somewhere else.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    i hate the tunic. every other figure (except for FAILmation randor) is wearing armor but this guy is wearing a doublet that doesn't fit him. it is too cartoony & it looks terrible. he could have been cool.

    i hate this stubborn adherence to FAILmation design.
    I have to agree that he looks too "cartoony" and too Filmation and not in the Classics style like other figs are. That seems to be a theme lately as the dragon's head on Dragon Blaster Skeletor was horribly cartoony. I mean it looks exactly like he does in the cartoon, but to me it just doesn't jibe with the look of most other Evil Warriros. Maybe he's just too bright? Maybe a bit of a darker wash or some scales would help? Just not digging him. No sweat for me tho as my Fangman will be promptly listed on eBay.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor73 View Post
    "Fang Man used the Dragosaurs of the past to assist the Evil Lord of Destruction in his evil plans when Skeletor used the Wheel of Infinity to go back in time and stop Castle Grayskull from being built" = worst run on sentence ever! Doesn't anyone proof these bios on a corporate level? Sheesh.
    I generally don't defend Matty, but gramaticaly there is nothing wrong with it, it's not a "run on sentence".

  4. #254
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Easy....just as those that accept pre-Filmation as MOTU law....Filmation is law to those of us that love it....it's what we grew up on, it's what we know....how hard is that to comprehend?

    It's no different than me thinking why Mini Comic fans can get out of the stone age of ink and paper and deal with a TV show that reached far more people than flipping pages ever did. And my "culture" is just fine with accepting He-Man in his Filmation story....

    Hello, MOTU fans had an update....it didn't work, it was called 200X....Classics is working as is, even after almost failing it's still here and longer I might add than a contemporary update that was attempted and fizzled out with variants, and was left with nothing but basically statues after. Seems the current culture aside from a few in the minority category are just fine with Classics encompassing Filmation characters....
    The unsuccessful aspects of 200x didn't work for the exact same reason Filmation doesn't work for TONS of adults today: it was aimed at kids.

    It's completely apples and oranges to compare the 200x line to MOTUC when MOTUC is aimed squarely at an adult audience (or haven't you noticed you have to be 18+ to order from Matty?) with no retailers or networks or advertisers to answer to.

    But 200x isn't even the issue, so I don't see how your bashing of it here is very pertinent.

  5. #255
    Evil Master of Dreams skeletor73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post



    I generally don't defend Matty, but gramaticaly there is nothing wrong with it, it's not a "run on sentence".
    Correction -

    I generally don't defend Matty, but grammatically there is nothing wrong with it. It's not a "run-on sentence".
    Last edited by skeletor73; January 19, 2013 at 01:23am.

  6. #256
    Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Classics are not MotU 200X. No offense but after all those years, shouldnīt some fans finally accept this?
    I think you're somewhat confused. I don't take any offense because I never said anything about Classics being 200X, nor would I want it to be. By that same logic, this isn't Filmation Classics either, so having a Looney Tunes looking blue Iguana doesn't quite fit this line either.

    Just as MYP characters are simplified from the "Hyper Anime Detail" look when they are put into the "Classicizer Machine" so too should the overly simplistic Filmation designs be given a more detailed less cartoony look to fit into Classics.

    Again, I like the Classics Jitsu and Fisto sculpts because they are not overly simplistic Filmation designs and they are not overly complex MYP designs. Too much of either doesn't fit into this line.


    And for those out there that are are fine with Classics having literal Filmation designs in this line but not literal MYP designs, I would say quit using double standards. The rule should be the same for Filmation and MYP.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; January 21, 2013 at 10:07pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

  7. #257
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116
    Did i talk directly to you? I donīt know but i dont see literal Filmation designs in this line. But Fistos and Jitsus heads i consider overly detailed/altered and not perfect fitting. But i admit the rule should be indeed the same for all incarnations of different media.

  8. #258
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Did i talk directly to you? I donīt know but i dont see literal Filmation designs in this line. But Fistos and Jitsus heads i consider overly detailed/altered and not perfect fitting. But i admit the rule should be indeed the same for all incarnations of different media.
    I do consider the Fisto and Jitsu heads as much more stylized than the others, less than Marzo, but still up there, and Jitsu more than Fisto. But I don't see the literal non detailed translation from cartoon into figure either. Randor could have been better through more articulation, but he's no less detailed than Adam, Adora, Marlena, She-Ra 1.0 or Catra, what a few bumps on his belt are missing?

    Fang Man while yes, more detailed than Randor is an excellent example of Filmation into Classics. I think the tongue could be a little weird at times, but it is what it is, at least you can take it out if you wanted to pop it out of socket, and I would have preferred actual fins under his shirt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    The unsuccessful aspects of 200x didn't work for the exact same reason Filmation doesn't work for TONS of adults today: it was aimed at kids.

    It's completely apples and oranges to compare the 200x line to MOTUC when MOTUC is aimed squarely at an adult audience (or haven't you noticed you have to be 18+ to order from Matty?) with no retailers or networks or advertisers to answer to.

    But 200x isn't even the issue, so I don't see how your bashing of it here is very pertinent.
    First off I love how you know TONS of adults don't like Filmation today. Secondly, a lot of Adults that love Filmation, watch it with their kids today, and their kids love it, my son wants to watch it all the time, and I am more than happy to share it with him.

    And while it may say Adult collector on the package, the line is far from an 18+ adult only line, regardless who it's aimed at. And let's be honest, the 200X sculpts were not solely aimed at kids, when anyone who cared about or knew of MOTU was in their 20's to 30's in 2002, the cartoon, yes, the toys....no, not entirely. However the Vintage toys were, but only once Filmation came to be is when the wider audience came into MOTU, and making it a more kid friendly line. Mattel knew exactly who they were marketing the line to, adults and kids.

    Just as you don't see the need or the reverence of Filmation for adults, I don't see the need or reverence of 200X in Classics, since 200X had a line that didn't last, Filmation has never had a representation in the MOTU world as figures until MOTUC. 200X already had a shot with it's story and it's styled figures, Filmation deserves that same chance, like it or not....so my supposed bashing and inclusion of 200X, is very pertinent.

    Also, the point being about 200X was, they tried your contemporary update ("At some point you need to recognize something was the way it was for the time and audience it was created for, but it's also OK for things to evolve with the style and taste of current culture.") did not work it was 200X, it failed....it is not bashing, it actually happened, it's not my opinion, the line tanked. MOTUC is still here 4+ years later, the line is not fizzling out with a hundred variants of He-Man instead of new figures, and to top it all off, Filmation is finally being included, as intended, no need for an update, only the same detailing the rest of the line has gotten, and so far they have.

    And after the 200X line was over, eventually it was decided to go back to that Vintage era....so my talk of comparing 200X to Classics is very much valid when you consider I was referring to your original comments about an update....they did it, didn't work, now we have Classics, and Filmation. There are plenty of adults that still like it, and many watch it with their kids....while you claim you can't understand the reverence the adults still have for it.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  9. #259
    Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Did i talk directly to you? I donīt know but i dont see literal Filmation designs in this line. But Fistos and Jitsus heads i consider overly detailed/altered and not perfect fitting. But i admit the rule should be indeed the same for all incarnations of different media.
    Had you not quoted my entire post, I probably wouldn't have thought you were talking to directly to me. That said, my post wasn't intended to be rude.

    As for not seeing a literal Filmation design, look no further than the Looney Tunes faced Fang Man. In Pixel Dan's review, he mentions that Fang Man "stands out" and I agree. He is by far, the most cartoon looking character to date. Fang Man is no less relevant than an MYP character like Dekker, who also had only one appearance, but I would have prefered his head sculpt were a little more menacing like Draego-Man. As is, he doesn't quite fit in with the possible exception of Muppet faced Clawful.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

  10. #260
    Hero of Fabulous Secrets
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Toluca Lake California
    Posts
    741
    OK... total nerd moment.

    Since the line began, every March we've received a Green character - 2009- Merman, 2010 Moss Man, 2011 King Hiss, 2012 Kobra Khan. this is the first year that our March character isn't green.


  11. #261
    #1 Extendar Fan! JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,686


    That's quite sad in a way. If only Octavia would have been released here!

  12. #262
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    So Procrustus should've been in "Mini Comic Style" as opposed to the "MOTUC Style" he was made in?

    That doesn't make any sense, and here's why: we're talking specifically about a toyline here, and especially a toyline that, from its outset claimed one major goal was to create a line that had one cohesive style, that sent each character through the same filters to help ensure the same look and feel for everyone.

    This is why, we were told, that vintage action features, 200x design elements, and PoP rooted hair/glitter, and other elements had to be eliminated. That no matter what the source, these were all going to look like they came from the same line.

    So by all of those measures, MOTUC hasn't been nearly as successful as it could've been, and it's thanks in large part IMO to the Filmation influence which has been able to unnaturally survive other design elements which could've been more beneficial to a modern, adult collector line aiming to stand the test of time.

    Fang Man should look nothing like "cartoon-accurate", and everything like "MOTUC-accurate".
    I definitely see where you're coming from. Fang Man, without a doubt, leans heavily toward the Filmation look.

    When compared to sculpts like Draego and Rattlor, Fang Man does look less detailed, however, I am a die-hard fan of everything Filmation (for better or for worse) so it is extremely difficult for me to picture Fang Man any other way than this.

    Maybe his original design was so good that the 4H didn't even need to change it?
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

  13. #263
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Had you not quoted my entire post, I probably wouldn't have thought you were talking to directly to me. That said, my post wasn't intended to be rude.
    Sorry dude that was a misunderstanding

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    As for not seeing a literal Filmation design, look no further than the Looney Tunes faced Fang Man. In Pixel Dan's review, he mentions that Fang Man "stands out" and I agree. He is by far, the most cartoon looking character to date. Fang Man is no less relevant than an MYP character like Dekker, who also had only one appearance, but I would have prefered his head sculpt were a little more menacing like Draego-Man. As is, he doesn't quite fit in with the possible exception of Muppet faced Clawful.
    Hey i love Clawful. In the end its a matter of taste. The nostalgia is just more important for me then serious/realistic looks.

  14. #264
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,091
    I love Filmation accurate characters that look like they leapt off the screen and on to my shelf and I love Fang Man! He's perfect and I hope he sets a benchmark for future Filmation releases.

  15. #265
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Just as you don't see the need or the reverence of Filmation for adults, I don't see the need or reverence of 200X in Classics, since 200X had a line that didn't last, Filmation has never had a representation in the MOTU world as figures until MOTUC. 200X already had a shot with it's story and it's styled figures, Filmation deserves that same chance, like it or not....so my supposed bashing and inclusion of 200X, is very pertinent.

    Also, the point being about 200X was, they tried your contemporary update ("At some point you need to recognize something was the way it was for the time and audience it was created for, but it's also OK for things to evolve with the style and taste of current culture.") did not work it was 200X, it failed....it is not bashing, it actually happened, it's not my opinion, the line tanked. MOTUC is still here 4+ years later, the line is not fizzling out with a hundred variants of He-Man instead of new figures, and to top it all off, Filmation is finally being included, as intended, no need for an update, only the same detailing the rest of the line has gotten, and so far they have.

    And after the 200X line was over, eventually it was decided to go back to that Vintage era....so my talk of comparing 200X to Classics is very much valid when you consider I was referring to your original comments about an update....they did it, didn't work, now we have Classics, and Filmation. There are plenty of adults that still like it, and many watch it with their kids....while you claim you can't understand the reverence the adults still have for it.
    You don't really seem to have the best command of the facts regarding the 200x era, but that aside, I'm not sure how you equate my desire for a more mature, contemporary update with 200x. Mostly what I've been looking for with MOTUC is an extension of a lot of what we've already got: MAA's weapons rack on his back, Scare Glow's Grayskull reliquary, Fisto's head sculpt, the overall look and feel of characters like Teela, Battle Cat, Vikor. Pretty much all of what is universally liked (diehard MotU fan or not) by toy collectors is what the line should be at its core, not just as a special treat.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    I would have prefered his head sculpt were a little more menacing like Draego-Man. As is, he doesn't quite fit in with the possible exception of Muppet faced Clawful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I definitely see where you're coming from. Fang Man, without a doubt, leans heavily toward the Filmation look.

    When compared to sculpts like Draego and Rattlor, Fang Man does look less detailed, however, I am a die-hard fan of everything Filmation (for better or for worse) so it is extremely difficult for me to picture Fang Man any other way than this.

    Maybe his original design was so good that the 4H didn't even need to change it?
    Remember though guys, these are the same Horsemen that must have felt beholden in some way to make toony versions of the Snake Men back in 200x, to the result of a poor reception I should add.

    I just think they want to give the existing fans of these characters what they want to see. Or at least what they think they want to see. (I generally agree with the notion that "People don't know what they want until you show it to them.") The 4H remember every time there's been backlash over a figure that wasn't too this, or enough this, and with someone like Fang Man I just think they wanted to deliver a Filmation-accurate figure for those fans.

    And while I can see that from a certain POV (and they're to be considered supremely generous as such!), I just wish the 4H had been a little more . . . selfish, I guess with this line. They should remember that not everything in MotU is sacrosanct to all MotU fans, or potential MotU fans, of which there are untold numbers. They should be a little (a LOT) less humble, and recognize that they themselves are the creators of new standards when it comes to a lot of MotU. 99% of the time they have their finger dead-on the right pulse when it comes to understanding what makes a character cool IMO, and what makes for a cool action figure. It's usually only when they stray from that 'inner voice' and try to accommodate some nebulous expectations that they start to lose me.

    But Ornclown, I do applaud your objectivity.
    And I hope it's clear I intend no personal disrespect to Filmation fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Hey i love Clawful. In the end its a matter of taste. The nostalgia is just more important for me then serious/realistic looks.
    Of course it's a matter of taste as to whether one likes each figure or not, but what I'm suggesting is that above (and entirely aside from) my dislike of the figure is that it objectively does not fit in well with the generally established tone (the "visual continuity" so to speak) of the line, especially early on.

    And at the end of the day, the most popular, well-received releases in this line have been on the basis of just a cool, well-executed action figure. Not saying nostalgia doesn't play a role, but without the masterful work the 4H have done, you're left with a well-meaning but overall lackluster (and underselling) line like Thundercats Classics. Nostalgia alone cannot carry hardly anything in the toy world anymore, because there just aren't that many of us left out there buying figures!

  16. #266
    Heroic Warrior EagleOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    923
    Just wanted to say that I Love this figure. The debate for me is to buy 2 or 3.
    And I'm glad the tongue is "removeable". I will be plucking it out and displaying it without the tongue. I've never been a fan of tongues shooting out of my action figures, which is why I hardly ever like a Venom figure. Though the tongue will make for some comic gold by some of the comedic photographers on here.

  17. #267
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Of course it's a matter of taste as to whether one likes each figure or not, but what I'm suggesting is that above (and entirely aside from) my dislike of the figure is that it objectively does not fit in well with the generally established tone (the "visual continuity" so to speak) of the line, especially early on.
    For me the likes like Fisto, Jitsu and soon Clamp Champ etc. are not quite fitting in well with the rest. Man-At-Arms is the best example, for what i think is the way to go for in this line( and thats how the line started back then). An awesome update of the vintage figure.
    Its true to the source and updated with modern sculpting/fabrication options , without altering him too much(making him a new interpretation).
    Fisto and Jitsu for example are nearly complete new interpretations( new cranial shape, altered mustache, missing teeth, altered hair style,etc.).
    But i guess those details are not noticeable or important for the average collector( im not talking about you here ;-)).
    Fang Man is perfect for me, as he catches his original looks, with updating him with more details( not overwrinkled like Clamp Champ e.g. ,who looks like an old man now).

  18. #268
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    For me the likes like Fisto, Jitsu and soon Clamp Champ etc. are not quite fitting in well with the rest. Man-At-Arms is the best example, for what i think is the way to go for in this line( and thats how the line started back then). An awesome update of the vintage figure.
    Then how do you reconcile Fisto being almost universally considered one of the best MOTUC figures of the entire line?

    If he really stood out that much, I don't really think he would've received so much praise.

  19. #269
    Heroic Warrior Seamatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Redmond WA
    Posts
    139
    I don't know if anyone has posted it in the thread yet, but his little cattle prod thinggy looks like it's from the "She Demon of Phantos" episode. The guards... or whatever they are are using them to push the slaves around.

    This figure is very nice and I can't wait to get him on my shelf.

  20. #270
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    I am soooooo excited about this guy, I totally cant wait. He looks AMAZING!!!

    Getting Filmation characters... how incredibly cool is that!!!!

    LONG LIVE MOTUC!!!

  21. #271
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    But Ornclown, I do applaud your objectivity.
    And I hope it's clear I intend no personal disrespect to Filmation fans.
    Thanks LZM! I'll take that as a complement!

    I certainly felt no disrespect, and I always try to see things from a different perspective. Everyone's opinions matter and I love learning something new everyday. You make very valid points, and it's discussions such as these that keep the entire MOTU world interesting and fun!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

  22. #272
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Then how do you reconcile Fisto being almost universally considered one of the best MOTUC figures of the entire line?

    If he really stood out that much, I don't really think he would've received so much praise.
    I guess the most collectors do not bother about a consistent look. At first i liked him a lot too, but after having him for a while i become aware that heīs a nearly complete new interpretation.

  23. #273
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    I guess the most collectors do not bother about a consistent look. At first i liked him a lot too, but after having him for a while i become aware that heīs a nearly complete new interpretation.
    I say to each their own. And while he's considered the best figure to many, he's not to everyone. I see many flaws to him that make other figures better, sure he looks awesome from the front, but look at him from any other angle, and that is where I find his problems.

    I hate that they gave that stupid huge ass sword precedence over the Vintage sword as far as designing the armor, I don't care if the fans never got it after being promised it in 200X or not. The flat silver abs were really unnecessary, and look really bad from the holes in the armor back. not to mention, when his armor is off, and from time to time it would be cool to display some figures without their armor if anyone so chose to, but him, it looks stupid. And as I mentioned before, the fact he has a huge ass basket looking thing on his back, annoys me. I'm glad 200X fans got their sword, but they didn't have to design the armor around it.

    But sure, from the front he looks good, that is how he is displayed, but personally I find Mekaneck a much better visually appealing figure. And since Fisto's head bears little resemblance to the Vintage head, much like Jitsu in the fact that they are smaller than other Human MOTUC heads, they are also well more styled towards a 200X look like Carnivus & Marzo, not quite as far as Marzo though. I like Fisto, I think the style was not so heavy on him, but I have no desire to own Jitsu, I don't like the head, plus I never owned the Vintage figure, but usually that doesn't matter when buying MOTUC.

    But as far as Fang Man goes, yes he's more styled towards the cartoon, but to me, that doesn't matter, I love Filmation, but even I say, he could have been a tad less goofy looking. But he's no more off MOTUC center than Fisto or Jitsu, or Marzo.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  24. #274
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Thanks LZM! I'll take that as a complement!
    That's how it was intended, so take away!


    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    I guess the most collectors do not bother about a consistent look. At first i liked him a lot too, but after having him for a while i become aware that heīs a nearly complete new interpretation.
    What I would argue is that while Fisto might be more of a divergence from his vintage likeness, that might be why people like it. It's one of the few figures we haven't "seen coming a mile away". We're talking about characters that many of us have already bought at least twice, so regardless of ties to nostalgia, I think we all still want something we haven't already got before. This is why unreleased characters are almost always more desirable than variants, and from my experience, why the figures that go above and beyond to give us something we haven't already seen are the ones most universally embraced, provided they still look and feel like MotU.

    The thing is, if you're an über-diehard vintage fan, you're going to know every miniscule detail of every vintage figure even better than the original sculptor ever did. But by and large, most people only have a general "sketch" of the character that each figure needs to meet in order to qualify as that character. And yes, by the über-diehard standard, there were liberties taken with Fisto's head sculpt. But it's still undeniably Fisto. There's nothing non-Fisto-ish about him, it's just an updated, more warrior-like interpretation with less goofy proportions. (The vintage one, while one of my all-time favorite figures, has comically large eyebrows, lips, and a mustache/beard that looks like prosthetics from the set of The Hobbit.)

    While back I made this craptacular Photoshop to demonstrate the difference.



    I mean, would this Fisto have really been better received? I doubt it.

    I would argue that if ALL of the characters had been updated in the same "serious, realistic" manner, then there would be no comments anywhere about Fisto or Jitsu standing out.

  25. #275
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    That's how it was intended, so take away!




    What I would argue is that while Fisto might be more of a divergence from his vintage likeness, that might be why people like it. It's one of the few figures we haven't "seen coming a mile away". We're talking about characters that many of us have already bought at least twice, so regardless of ties to nostalgia, I think we all still want something we haven't already got before. This is why unreleased characters are almost always more desirable than variants, and from my experience, why the figures that go above and beyond to give us something we haven't already seen are the ones most universally embraced, provided they still look and feel like MotU.

    The thing is, if you're an über-diehard vintage fan, you're going to know every miniscule detail of every vintage figure even better than the original sculptor ever did. But by and large, most people only have a general "sketch" of the character that each figure needs to meet in order to qualify as that character. And yes, by the über-diehard standard, there were liberties taken with Fisto's head sculpt. But it's still undeniably Fisto. There's nothing non-Fisto-ish about him, it's just an updated, more warrior-like interpretation with less goofy proportions. (The vintage one, while one of my all-time favorite figures, has comically large eyebrows, lips, and a mustache/beard that looks like prosthetics from the set of The Hobbit.)

    While back I made this craptacular Photoshop to demonstrate the difference.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ntagefisto.jpg

    I mean, would this Fisto have really been better received? I doubt it.

    I would argue that if ALL of the characters had been updated in the same "serious, realistic" manner, then there would be no comments anywhere about Fisto or Jitsu standing out.
    That example has not really turned out well,sorry ;-) Look at Man-At-Arms for a perfect transition from vintage to Classic.There you got things you hadnīt seen before in figure form, but they are also based on source material(vintage cardback). For Fisto you had the Vintage Figure and you couldīve used the Alcala Minicomics to slip in something new, not seen before in figure form. The Classics were ment to give us the most Iconic Look and not a new interpretation. Whatever, this Thread isnīt about Fisto,sorry(im so nitpicky about him, cause he always was my favorite charcter).

    Also i donīt think that more alterations and overdetailing does mean that the sculpts are more serious. If something is serious or not is very subjective. A figure could be also seriously goofy
    I admit Fang Man is a little goofy, but thats what he should be. Donīt make something of him he isnīt. Goofy looks were always part of MotU, thats part of the fun i guess

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •