Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The official MOTUC Fangman Thread

Heroic Warrior
    The question is, what sells better? A cartoon accurate Fang Man or a Fang Man which a more serious design?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    The Classics were ment to give us the most Iconic Look and not a new interpretation.
    I think for a lot of fans, MOTUC Fisto is the most iconic version.

Also i donīt think that more alterations and overdetailing does mean that the sculpts are more serious. If something is serious or not is very subjective. A figure could be also seriously goofy
    I admit Fang Man is a little goofy, but thats what he should be. Donīt make something of him he isnīt. Goofy looks were always part of MotU, thats part of the fun i guess
    "Goofy looks" were the result of many things, including lack of sophistication in tooling, translation from sculpture to final product materials, lack of budget for detailed paint ops, modifications to be kid safe, and so on. But I don't think the original MotU designers ever intended the figures to look goofy . . . it simply couldn't be helped.

The characters are already inherently goofy enough without embellishing it on purpose IMO.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I think for a lot of fans, MOTUC Fisto is the most iconic version.

I donīt want to be the smart ass but:
    iconic

i·con·ic
    [ahy-kon-ik] Show IPA
    adjective
    of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.
    Art. (of statues, portraits, etc.) executed according to a convention or tradition.

How can Fistos Classics Version be the most iconic, when its a new version? Ok maybe now after its some months old. But i would still claim that his toy and Minicomic appearance are more iconic.
    Whatever, you prefer new imagined design elements and i prefer them to be rooted in source material and since the style of each figure distinguishes from figure to figure in Classics(wichever Horsemen made it),sometimes you will be lucky , sometimes i. Most of the times the majority

Soooo... how many times does Skeletor travel back to Preternia? And if he can use the Wheel of Infinbity why doesn't he travel back to the first Ultimate Battleground and make his first time travel plot work? And what good would it do him in MOTUC canon to stop the building of Castle Grayskull, anyhow? I mean, if the Castle isn't built the power just wouldn't be transferred into the orb and stay inside the Sword of He. Or the orb would be transferred to a different place. Nothing gained for him. Heck, in MOTUC canon the power isn't even IN CG but the abyss below...

I think it's really bad to implant Filmation storylines into the MOTUC canon that do not really work with the events from the new canon...

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Wow people are upset about Fisto's head sculpt? I never cease to be amazed.

Clawful: Looks completely stupid like his vintage design = people mad.

Fisto: Apparently doesn't look stupid enough = people mad.

Boggles my mind. I get people being ticked about the 200X sword holder space, but the face sculpt looks like Fisto to me, just a updated version of a 1980's sculpt using more innovative materials/talent available today.

To each their own...but....just wow.

I'm sure Fang Man will look just fine. Infact Veebs posted a picture of him with the other Evil Warriors and I thought he fits in well enough.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    "Goofy looks" were the result of many things, including lack of sophistication in tooling, translation from sculpture to final product materials, lack of budget for detailed paint ops, modifications to be kid safe, and so on. But I don't think the original MotU designers ever intended the figures to look goofy . . . it simply couldn't be helped.

The characters are already inherently goofy enough without embellishing it on purpose IMO.
    I have also stated multiple times but it never seems to sink in to those that think sub par 80's toy manufacturing was done purposely. Matty is not handcuffed by the limitations of 80's technology, yet there are those that want the exact same vintage head sculpts on more articulated bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Wow people are upset about Fisto's head sculpt? I never cease to be amazed.

Clawful: Looks completely stupid like his vintage design = people mad.

Fisto: Apparently doesn't look stupid enough = people mad.

Boggles my mind. I get people being ticked about the 200X sword holder space, but the face sculpt looks like Fisto to me, just a updated version of a 1980's sculpt using more innovative materials/talent available today.

To each their own...but....just wow.

I'm sure Fang Man will look just fine. Infact Veebs posted a picture of him with the other Evil Warriors and I thought he fits in well enough.

Agreed! If it was possible for Fisto's head sculpt to look as good as his Classics version, it would have been done so back in the good old 80's. It is a VERY small minority that can complain about Classics Fisto. I too am not a fan of the large 200X sword holster on his back but otherwise, he is everything the vintage AND MYP versions were, and more. For damn near $40 bucks, I appreciate the added details. Classics Fisto is NOT a new interpretation of the character, just a more enhanced version.

That said, I wish Classics Fang Man looked a little more menacing. Much like Clawful, he is just too cartoony looking but I definitely look forward to owning the Sword of the Ancients!!!
    Last edited by MasterCollector; January 28, 2013 at 11:51pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    The question is, what sells better? A cartoon accurate Fang Man or a Fang Man which a more serious design?
    We'll see won't we, I'll be willing to bet he sells just fine. He's much more detailed than Randor, and while his head is a bit toonish, I think it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Motucollector View Post
    We'll see won't we, I'll be willing to bet he sells just fine. He's much more detailed than Randor, and while his head is a bit toonish, I think it's perfect.
    That still wouldn't answer his question. If Fang Man sells out quickly, great. Does that prove he wouldn't sell out faster had he been less "toonish" in the face? No. It is a question, we will never have the answer to, but an interesting one to ponder.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    That still wouldn't answer his question. If Fang Man sells out quickly, great. Does that prove he wouldn't sell out faster had he been less "toonish" in the face? No. It is a question, we will never have the answer to, but an interesting one to ponder.
    I really don't think that would even matter, if he sells fast, it would kind of make the question pointless I would think. It's likely he'd sell just as fast either way, it seems only the handful of Era & Filmation haters don't like him at all, and others seem to like him just fine, or can at least deal with him.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Classics Fisto is NOT a new interpretation of the character, just a more enhanced version.
    Thats in the eye of the beholder and no fact. For me, his changed shape of the head and changed mustache are new interpretations as they are not based on any source , therefore new. That were design decisions who had nothing to do with better technical capabilities.
    In my opinion The Most Iconic Look is not achieved with him, like it was with Mer-Man and Man-at-Arms( which are perfect for me)for example.(I should mention again that im really nitpicky here on Fisto, cause he was my favorite vintage character )

That said, I wish Classics Fang Man looked a little more menacing. Much like Clawful, he is just too cartoony looking but I definitely look forward to owning the Sword of the Ancients!!!
    Clawful and Fang Man are also perfect in my opinion. Because all the so called goofy elements are essential parts of their Iconic Looks. Making them more "serious"( questionable adjective), may have made them different characters as they were. I admit a second 200X head for Clawfull wouldīve been appropriate, as its debatable nowadays which of his looks are more Iconic(Vintage or 200X).
    Last edited by JimPansen; January 29, 2013 at 03:57am.

Heroic Warrior
    Hello! Maybe I missed it somewhere, but has any info been released regarding the sword he comes with? I don't recall him having this sword in the cartoon, and I've seen it referred to as the "Sword of Ancients". Anyone have any info?
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I really don't think that would even matter, if he sells fast, it would kind of make the question pointless I would think. It's likely he'd sell just as fast either way, it seems only the handful of Era & Filmation haters don't like him at all, and others seem to like him just fine, or can at least deal with him.
    This was my fear with them doing Filmation characters, that they would look like they just jumped out of the cartoon (which Fang Man does) and not get the "Classics" make over. When stood beside Skeletor, BeastMan, TrapJaw, etc, he just looks like are cartoon and doesn't really fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    Hello! Maybe I missed it somewhere, but has any info been released regarding the sword he comes with? I don't recall him having this sword in the cartoon, and I've seen it referred to as the "Sword of Ancients". Anyone have any info?
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

This was my fear with them doing Filmation characters, that they would look like they just jumped out of the cartoon (which Fang Man does) and not get the "Classics" make over. When stood beside Skeletor, BeastMan, TrapJaw, etc, he just looks like are cartoon and doesn't really fit in.
    It's a sword that was hidden in Snake Mt. And Skeletor was trying to find it, but in the end He-Man found it, and it was destined to merge with the Power Sword. It's just a Filmation Accessory that Fang Man is coming with.

And as far as Fang Man goes, I find his looks to be decent enough, he'll fit in with the others just fine. Sure he's Filmation, but he was Classicized, just as much as Keldor, Buzz Off & Clawful were.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Thats in the eye of the beholder and no fact. For me, his changed shape of the head and changed mustache are new interpretations as they are not based on any source , therefore new. That were design decisions who had nothing to do with better technical capabilities.
    In my opinion The Most Iconic Look is not achieved with him, like it was with Mer-Man and Man-at-Arms( which are perfect for me)for example.(I should mention again that im really nitpicky here on Fisto, cause he was my favorite vintage character )

Clawful and Fang Man are also perfect in my opinion. Because all the so called goofy elements are essential parts of their Iconic Looks. Making them more "serious"( questionable adjective), may have made them different characters as they were. I admit a second 200X head for Clawfull wouldīve been appropriate, as its debatable nowadays which of his looks are more Iconic(Vintage or 200X).
    And as far as Fisto goes, I don't see anything iconic about the Classics version, I hate the figure from the back, and he looks decent from the sides, but I hate seeing that huge ass holder for a sword I could care less about. And to be honest, I never cared about Fisto, still really don't, I just thought he was a decent looking figure, so I bought him, but far from one of my top favorites. His head is borderline as far as style goes for me, the sunken areas around his eyes look off, and the head is a tad tinier than it should have been. Jitsu, is the same with the size, but the styling is more "stylized" than Fisto's, but still along the same lines.

So I agree with you, it's in the eye of the beholder. To me, Fisto is not a top favorite, I actually prefer Catra, Frosta, Mekaneck and 7 other figures to be better than he is.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

I have also stated multiple times but it never seems to sink in to those that think sub par 80's toy manufacturing was done purposely. Matty is not handcuffed by the limitations of 80's technology, yet there are those that want the exact same vintage head sculpts on more articulated bodies.
    Very true.

From what I've heard/read from interviews with the original design team, the final figures were frequently a series of step-downs and disappointments, from the loss of detail, or Teela not able to be so busty, or whatever. Those guys were really aiming high, and it's a testament to how good they were that enough of the magic still made it through to the "neutered" versions we got at retail.

Which, to be honest, is a little like MOTUC when we compare our figures to the much greater potential shown via the 4H prototypes. True, MOTUC comes much closer than a lot of other big company lines, but with the litany of QC and design issues, it's not like MOTUC is vastly superior to vintage in that regard. But again, a bit of apples and oranges as vintage was aimed directly at kids, and MOTUC is aimed directly at adults.

If it was possible for Fisto's head sculpt to look as good as his Classics version, it would have been done so back in the good old 80's.
    Exactly right. There are all kinds of comments on record lamenting the lack of advancement in action figure production when compared to today.

It is a VERY small minority that can complain about Classics Fisto.
    And as if on cue:

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    And to be honest, I never cared about Fisto, still really don't, I just thought he was a decent looking figure, so I bought him, but far from one of my top favorites.

Very true.

From what I've heard/read from interviews with the original design team, the final figures were frequently a series of step-downs and disappointments, from the loss of detail, or Teela not able to be so busty, or whatever. Those guys were really aiming high, and it's a testament to how good they were that enough of the magic still made it through to the "neutered" versions we got at retail.
    As a kid, I was disappointed that that the toys often fell short of what the card back art depicted. I knew we were getting "neutered" toys based on that alone. Had Classics Fisto had a smaller holster on his back for his vintage sword and a full flesh colored torso like the original figure, he would have been perfect, much like Classics Merman.

And as if on cue:
    It's the small things in life.

And as if on cue:
    And, your point? I don't care for Fisto as a character. And that is your concern how exactly?

Had Classics Fisto had a smaller holster on his back for his vintage sword and a full flesh colored torso like the original figure, he would have been perfect, much like Classics Merman.
    This is exactly why I don't have the same regard for Fisto everyone else seems to have, in my eyes, he's far from the perfect figure. Again Mattel design screwed up what could have been a great figure to me, instead I feel how I feel about him.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 30, 2013 at 12:37am.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

As a kid, I was disappointed that that the toys often fell short of what the card back art depicted. I knew we were getting "neutered" toys based on that alone. Had Classics Fisto had a smaller holster on his back for his vintage sword and a full flesh colored torso like the original figure, he would have been perfect, much like Classics Merman.
    Ah, but Mer-Man can't hold both weapons at once, so EPIC FAILLLL!!1!!!1 for trying to be cardback accurate.

Of course I'm kidding, but point is you can get bogged down in nitpicking any figure from this line for one reason or another. But I don't feel like I'm nitpicking at all with my critiques of the overly-cartoony qualities of too many MOTUC figures.

I just want a set of figures that looks cool and shares the same tone and feel when displayed together, and it's a bummer to have to pass on figures entirely, or customize and otherwise heavily modify them for them to fit in.

But more than that, I want the 4H to pull off the gloves and show us what they're truly capable of much more often than they get to when trying to base their figure versions so heavily on a simple cartoon design.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think one thing we can't forget is that MOTUC has it's own identity. It's not the vintage line verbatim. It's not 200X or Filmation.

EVERY era gets translated over to Classics, even the vintage designs. There is extra detail, color changes or new innovations. I think people look at the vintage stylings and influence and forget about the little changes that some iconic characters have gone through. Moss Man has bracelets now. Fisto has brown hair. MAA has green fur.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I like him and will be picking him up.

I already have a Fang Man earmarked for me from someone's extra sub. I can't wait to get him! I LOVE the accessories! Pixel Dan's review really sold me on this fig!
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think one thing we can't forget is that MOTUC has it's own identity. It's not the vintage line verbatim. It's not 200X or Filmation.

EVERY era gets translated over to Classics, even the vintage designs. There is extra detail, color changes or new innovations. I think people look at the vintage stylings and influence and forget about the little changes that some iconic characters have gone through. Moss Man has bracelets now. Fisto has brown hair. MAA has green fur.
    NOOOOOO! Fisto was a redhead!
    (the Classics Prototyp had a more redish brown hair by the way)

Court Magician
    What I find amusing is that if Fang Man were too realistic, we'd be reading complaints that the figure didn't resemble the Filmation character enough. Where do you draw the line from a design standpoint? Having a review sample of this figure in-hand, I believe the 4H found a perfect balance because in reality, Fang Man is a semi-goofy character. I think what people will appreciate when they receive their Fang Man figure--and will ultimately put this realistic vs cartoon style debate to rest--will be the amazing engineering behind the figure. The 4H got some incredible mileage out of the buck body with the extended neck and head combination, and the sculpt in the shirt to give the illusion of protruding dorsal spines.

Quote Originally Posted by richalot View Post
    What I find amusing is that if Fang Man were too realistic, we'd be reading complaints that the figure didn't resemble the Filmation character enough. Where do you draw the line from a design standpoint? Having a review sample of this figure in-hand, I believe the 4H found a perfect balance because in reality, Fang Man is a semi-goofy character. I think what people will appreciate when they receive their Fang Man figure--and will ultimately put this realistic vs cartoon style debate to rest--will be the amazing engineering behind the figure. The 4H got some incredible mileage out of the buck body with the extended neck and head combination, and the sculpt in the shirt to give the illusion of protruding dorsal spines.
    200X is never 200X enough for some, Filmation is too Filmation, POP doesn't belong....who cares, it's Classics, and it's only a small handful out of everyone who is complaining figure by figure if it's something they don't like or want in Classics.

Some people want the line their way or they'll complain for every figure that comes out unless it's what they want.

Fang Man is just fine, sure he's a little goofy, but look at Buzz Off, Clawful & Mer-Man's second head. But I forgot, they're Vintage looks, so it's perfectly fine. Same for Marzo & Carnivus, 200X so it's OK. But God forbid a Filmation character look like a Filmation character. Exactly how they should look, or what's the point.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

I quite like the ecollectic looks of the classics.

I'm getting Fangman because i've always wanted one since watching The Time Corridor as a kid so i'm more than happy the way he looks and wouldn't change a thing. I hope the character can live on into another tv series (if we ever get one).

Heroic Warrior
    I'm making sure to overlook everyone who posts in this thread and just say, I am very much looking forward to Fang Man.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Though Fangy was never a most demanded figure for me, I find the approach taken is what I hope we will see in future Filmation figures. The design is dead on, as there is no mistaking who this is, and he is faithfully translated. But the details of the sculpt, the spines down the back, even the way the regular buck was given a hunched look here all bring it up to MOTUC levels of figure quality. This is exactly what I would hope to see with a Kittrina or a Sea Hawk figure.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman