Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before you start another "The Official MOTUC -insert name- thread", please read...

Before you start another "The Official MOTUC -insert name- thread", please read...

I was all for these threads when they started out.
    But, now it seems to be more about a race to start a thread for every character under the sun.

I'm pretty confident that some of these characters have a very slim chance of seeing the light of day for a very long time, if at all.
    Heck, we haven't even gotten through some of the core vintage characters yet!

So let's drop it into first gear for a while. There's no reason to rush to make a thread for every character you can think of just to do it. Most of these threads quickly fall off the map because few people care... no offense.

If there's a reason to start up a new one for a character that's pretty popular? Or if conversation has started to lull and fresh meat is needed? Let's do it then.

Thanks!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Most of these threads quickly fall off the map because few people care... no offense.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm much more excited for the visually cool-looking characters we have never had before instead of Ram-Man #6 (at least #6...probably more). I know people will throw things at me for saying that, but that's how I feel. I'm really enjoying getting new or never before made characters, it's so thrilling!

The Gorgon giant looks so cool, and we don't have a female Medusa concept in MOTU. I would much rather have her than the rest of the main MOTU characters we have already seen over and over again...repainted in every colour in the box, including orange and gold!

Also, Mattel is supposedly spreading out the "main characters," so we might not see them until 2017. Are we supposed to wait until then to say "yes, I would like a Gwildor"?
    Last edited by Darkspecter; June 24, 2011 at 01:53am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I say give it some time. In the future when the line can really benefit from these threads, then you can spark up the fires.

Let's show support to get Spikor, Jitsu, Fisto, Shadow Weaver (well, if we can ever get her), and all the other demanded ones out there.
    After that, threads for the more unnoted characters won't fall into obscurity so quickly and instead will be needed.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I say give it some time. In the future when the line can really benefit from these threads, then you can spark up the fires.

Let's show support to get Spikor, Jitsu, Fisto, Shadow Weaver (well, if we can ever get her), and all the other demanded ones out there.
    After that, threads for the more unnoted characters won't fall into obscurity so quickly and instead will be needed.

Yes, thank you, Val!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

i want all the Vintage, POP, New adventures and 200x characters as well as about 30 from Filmation/Jetlag/Movie/Golden Books when we can get them. I love looking at this forum and chatting in it but lately is all the same type of thread and its getting a little repetitive.

Nothing against all those who started the threads but they were certainly getting ridiculous. Almost Star Wars ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Nothing against all those who started the threads but they were certainly getting ridiculous. Almost Star Wars ridiculous
    ...is that dude carrying an ice cream maker?

It looks like it.

This is what happen when fans aren't reigned in. Be thankful we got the Green Goddess and not something so much worse

I guess I'll be one of the few who doesn't find this a positive thing. With Mattel evenly mixing the characters out throughout the years with A, B, C and D-listers (and concept characters), I fail to see how only being able to talk about the "main MOTU guys" will really help anything.

Obviously Mattel knows people want Jistu, Ram-Man, Fisto and especially Shadow Weaver. Those topics have really been done to death since 2008.

If they know who we all like from the lower-tiered strings, we would be more likely to get them instead of something like Hand-Some (guy who two giant hands) or Stick-Man. We're still going to get the A-listers everyone wants, but if we don't talk about the lesser popular characters (i.e. everyone not Shadow Weaver or Ram-Man), we might never see them (like...Illumina, for example who is virtually a complete unknown, but has a nice bit of support). So...I don't know what to think.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; June 24, 2011 at 02:23am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Darkspecter:

Like I said, just give it time. Right now we don't need one or two new threads every day to support characters that are in some cases virtually unknown.

With so many actual toy characters still left from vintage MOTU, plus POP and NA, we have a ways to go before fans are going to be clamoring for someone like "mini-comic one panel cameo guy"

If the 4H and Mattel splice in an obscure character, my guess is they already know who that's gonna be for the next few years.

Heck, if you REALLY want to hit the nail on the head, then here's a challenge for you.
    Take a look at all the existing sculpted pieces (I really wish someone would make a visual flowchart of this. I'd do it if I had time). Then look at some of the obscure characters. See which of them can be made out of those existing parts with the addition of maybe one new tool (like a head). Starting a support thread for an obscure character that they can easily splice in is the way to do it. But even then, let's please be more choosy with these so they actually matter when posted. Seed 'em in a little at a time.

The package may say "Willrow Hood," but he'll always be known to me as his unofficial name, "Ice Cream Maker Guy." Seriously. And yes, I gladly bought him. No regrets, he's hilarious.

Actually, using this guy as an example makes more sense than I thought!

Don't get me wrong, I love Ice Cream Maker Guy, even though pausing the film will only get you a blurry glimpse of him. I like that he represents fan determination and Hasbro rolling with the tongue-in-cheek demand for the most obscure figure possible.

What I don't love about Ice Cream Maker Guy is that it was sad to see the fears associated with obscure or non-action oriented characters come to life as his figure did not sell well at all. Mostly, it's really strange that I've got a miniature plastic Ice Cream Maker while there still has yet to be an Emperor figure that fans agree is better than the 1983 version. He's a pretty major character.

It seemed like there was some sort of MOTUC metaphor there, but it's late so it slipped out of my fingers. I've learned quite a bit about MOTU lore in the "Official" threads, so that's really cool and I hope Mattel was taking notes when some of the cooler looking characters were mentioned.

I have to say that I don't think figures like Fisto, Spikor, Jitsu, or Shadow Weaver need these threads. Those are super-popular characters that everyone (well almost everyone) wants.

Some of these threads have lead to pretty cool discussions, the sharing of obscure images of characters, and bonding for members who share a passion for a figure.

I do realize that lately (as in the past 2 weeks) there have been MANY MANY new ones so what Val is saying isn't lost on me.

However, a thread campaigning for Sweet Bee, for example, might not be a bad thing.

I think some of the POP and NA figures are going to have a hard time now IF the Filmation characters are brought into the line, AND Mattel doesn't do a few multi-packs of those characters to catch up.

Back when Catra's Wrath, on the Matty Forums, started a thread asking members there which hypothetical Filmation 3packs they would want, I thought, "Hmm, I hope this is actually TG and co. guaging interest, because 3packs would be a brilliant way to fast-track some of these characters into the line, without banishing Flogg, Sweet Bee, and Gwildor to the end of the decade.

I don't know... I just think the censoring of conversation that is fun and innocent can be tricky... because people might start to feel too constrained.

It seemed that the campaign threads were started by relatively new members who may not have known how those threads typically work, or how often they typically show up. In the past they would pop up if a rumor started to spread about the possibility of a figure being released, or if there were a group of fans who really had a passion for a character like Eldor, for example.

It's no big deal to me either way, but I figured the recent energy behind these new campaign threads would probably wane soon
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I don't know... I just think the censoring of conversation that is fun and innocent can be tricky... because people might start to feel too constrained.
    Censorship? People aren't being told to never talk about these characters. So, let's not trot out the censorship bit.

It really has gotten out of control. It's time to slow it down.

It's no big deal to me either way, but I figured the recent energy behind these new campaign threads would probably wane soon
    You would think. Sometimes these things need a bit of the gas siphoned off. There will be another pump a few miles down the road.

Thank you.

Four of those "Official" threads are currently sitting without any replies in them. Obvioulsy, they have become the forums current fad but in truth they are rather tedious.

Having one every now and then is fine but in the week there has been about 15 individual threads started for these obscure characters

The first page of the forum already has 25 of these thread, either new or bumped.

I like the official threads (insanely popular character, or who the heck is that kind of character). You get to talk about character history, what you want to see in the bio, post pictures of them from all incarnations, how you would like to see them design-wise in MOTUC, etc. It sure beats the thousands of "change this on X character" threads that stem from NOT talking about what you'd like to see beforehand. The 4H said they read the forums, so if they see 75% of people saying something like "we would like to see Fisto come with two swords: 80's Tri-Klops repaint and his 200X sword" (for example), they might make sure he gets those two swords, you know?

Also, even though a lot of Official threads have popped up the last couple days for some reason, they do keep the forums less cluttered. If you look at a bunch of the different thread topics (like the Fisto's sword one), they could be put into the official threads FOR those characters. So...maybe 5 threads, is actually the one thread. That's just how I see it. Lots of interesting discussions, in my opinion. Well organized too!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; June 24, 2011 at 03:08am.

Val can correct me if I am wrong but I think the point of this thread is to just hold off on the new "Official" threads for now and re-introduce them slowly.

Do you want Mattel to show everything they have on offer for the life of MOTUC in one hit? Sure it will spark discussion in the short term but by the time 2017 rolls around the shine would have certainly been taken off of the figures.

The "Official" threads should have been started with one or two characters and when the discussion fizzled either try and get it started again or move on to the next couple of figures. This allows for better focus on these obscure figures and could actually generate interest instead of having them all thrown out there and no one talking in them.

Just my opinion.

OOOHHH, NOOOOOO!!
    Just when I was about to start the "Official Man-Turned-on-his-Back-in-the-Corner-of-the-Screen-while-He-Man-is-Passing-by" thread..
    DAMN!

Thanks Val

There will be another pump a few miles down the road.
    oh ho ho ho... yes... I know

oh lawwwwd!! it's gonna get KA-RAZY!!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Val can correct me if I am wrong but I think the point of this thread is to just hold off on the new "Official" threads for now and re-introduce them slowly.
    Yep. It's about easing off the gas pedal.

Yea I think the ball dropped with Tug-O-War. I would really just prefer if the 4HM focused on the core char cause there is always room for that extra little bit of detail on each char. I choose quality over quantity.

I was all for these threads when they started out.
    But, now it seems to be more about a race to start a thread for every character under the sun.

I'm pretty confident that some of these characters have a very slim chance of seeing the light of day for a very long time, if at all.
    Heck, we haven't even gotten through some of the core vintage characters yet!

So let's drop it into first gear for a while. There's no reason to rush to make a thread for every character you can think of just to do it. Most of these threads quickly fall off the map because few people care... no offense.

If there's a reason to start up a new one for a character that's pretty popular? Or if conversation has started to lull and fresh meat is needed? Let's do it then.

Thanks!
    I will echo some of the others and say thank you.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Holy crap, that's a lot of "Official" want threads pretty much all at once!
    I guess I better not start my 'guy in the background with red hat (second to the left) of the Eternian Marketplace official thread' just yet.

....but it's a Rebel Alliance ice cream maker. Essential to anyone's collection!

Whilst I do find these threads annoying isn't this the way to bring these characters to TG and the 4H's attention? TG is always saying "if we see that xxx has the support etc etc" (mind you this would work more in favour to more obscure characters cos obviously the "A"-listers are already on their radar)
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar