Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarification on Classic Media's 2012 licensing program and the MOTUC line

Heroic Warrior

Clarification on Classic Media's 2012 licensing program and the MOTUC line

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...207#7401035207

Hey He-Fans,

I've seen a lot of posts jumping to some conclusions regarding Classic Media's announcement about a licensing program in 2012. In an attempt to manage expectations, their specific 30th anniversary MOTU licensing program is not related to any of the announcements or changes we have for the MOTUC line. Classic Media retains full rights to the vintage animated show, which is why they are the ones licensing it out the classic show for 2012.

Yes, we are working with them on the style guide to include some Classics branding elements (fonts, colors etc...) as well and to keep it "on brand" but this does not alter or change any fundamental right issues regarding the classic animated series.

I hope this helps clarify!

TG
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

So, we can kill hope of Filmation figures, eh?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    So, we can kill hope of Filmation figures, eh?
    I don't think it kills the hope. Mattel doesn't have to buy the Filmation shows in order to be able to do Filmation characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I don't think it kills the hope. Mattel doesn't have to buy the Filmation shows in order to be able to do Filmation characters.
    I hope you are right.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Either they are making the statement so people aren't disappointed when no Filmation characters are announced or they are trying to preserve the surprise. I hope it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I hope you are right.
    This statement keeps me going.

But hey, when opportunity knocks we're not saying no.

Heroic Warrior
    I also think, they don't need the rights. Just license it....

And why don't TG clearly say: "No, we still can't do Filmation figures..." :-)

Based on that, I don't think the Filmation figures are coming any time soon. If they were, they probably would just not say much of anything in regards to the fan hype online. I think this is ToyGuru's way of deflating expectations so there's not a poop-storm of anger come SDCC reveals and there is no Shadow Weaver, Shokoti, or Lizard Man to ring in the 30th anniversary of MOTU.

Ehhh........TG also denied that Orko and Adam were the SDCC exclusives last year when a website had posted that info earlier than they wanted. I wouldn't give up hope on Filmation characters just yet.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Either they are making the statement so people aren't disappointed when no Filmation characters are announced or they are trying to preserve the surprise. I hope it's the latter.
    I hope it's the latter too. Technically "their specific 30th anniversary MOTU licensing program is not related to any of the announcements or changes we have for the MOTUC line" is something we already knew. The licensing statement was never directly related to MOTUC, just something that gave us hope. Since I doubt a DVD disributer is making their own t-shirts, keychains, etc, I'm sure they're licensing these out to others. No reason why Mattel can't be one of the licensees. If nothing else, Classic Media and Mattel's working relationship should at least make eventual rights easier to come by.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Guys I really do think that Toyguru is trying to tell us now NOT to expect Filmation rights as he knows that speculations has gone way through the roof.

I don't think they have them (it would just be our luck)- which is why he keeps reiterating that the plans for MOTUC and the Classic Media style guide are separate projects.

I think the below quote says it all really...

"Yes, we are working with them on the style guide to include some Classics branding elements (fonts, colors etc...) as well and to keep it "on brand" but this does not alter or change any fundamental right issues regarding the classic animated series"

What I don't get is - originally the announcements were "4 Huge announcements for the MOTU Property" - not just MOTUC - Now all of a sudden its solely focused on MOTUC - and the plans by Classic Media are totally separate and not a joint venture from Mattel (!)

I wish we weren't told to expect these announcements - they should have just left it as a total surprise.

He says Mattel doesn't own the rights to the animated show but doesn't say anything about not licensing them.

Another thing I was thinking is, regardless of whether or not Filmation rights figures in MOTUC ever come to fruition, there's still at least 100 action figures and toys that they CAN make just using classic MOTU, PoP, NA, and MYP characters between now and 2017. It's still an exciting line without Shadow Weaver and co. Though their presence would make it even MORE exciting (and expensive, heh).

Keep in mind that Classic Media can't "reinvent" MOTU without Mattel's permission. The fact that they claim to be doing just that in the licensing magazine implies there's some agreement in place. What else would Mattel get in return for that?

If he was trying to tell us that Filmation figures weren't happening soon, why not say "Filmation figures aren't happening soon"?

He has been very direct in the past, so why try so hard to go around the actual issue here in all of his latest statements.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    He says Mattel doesn't own the rights to the animated show but doesn't say anything about not licensing them.
    This...I 100% agree...

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    If he was trying to tell us that Filmation figures weren't happening soon, why not say "Filmation figures aren't happening soon"?

He has been very direct in the past, so why try so hard to go around the actual issue here in all of his latest statements.
    Exactly.

And if I'm wrong on my assumptions, then I'll come back to this thread when SDCC rolls around and take eggs in my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    We have a winner, just wait till SDCC is my frame of mind. ANYTHING Scott says between now and then is just to throw you guys off IMHO...just like last year with Orko
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

as time passes are more confusing these huge announcements.
    they could be all that we speculated for now or they could not be any of those things.
    we don't have any idea what this will be.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; June 25, 2011 at 03:14pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    The licensing statement was never directly related to MOTUC, just something that gave us hope. Since I doubt a DVD disributer is making their own t-shirts, keychains, etc, I'm sure they're licensing these out to others. No reason why Mattel can't be one of the licensees. If nothing else, Classic Media and Mattel's working relationship should at least make eventual rights easier to come by.
    Classic Media has to know how popular MOUTC is and that Shadow Weaver is the most requested figure. What if Classic Media licensed Mattel to make them a Shadow Weaver figure. They could sell it through their website, maybe with a DVD pack or something. She could be a joint exclusive like Mo-Lar.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post

Hype.

Toyguru is using the fan's own hype for the Filmation Rights to fuel interest for the 5 announcements. If he outright denied that Filmation characters can now be made in MOTUC, it would kill much of the anticipation for that reveal. If the 5 announcements don't involve those rights, he's got himself covered.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hype.

Toyguru is using the fan's own hype for the Filmation Rights to fuel interest for the 5 announcements. If he outright denied that Filmation characters can now be made in MOTUC, it would kill much of the anticipation for that reveal. If the 5 announcements don't involve those rights, he's got himself covered.
    That's true, but he could just as easily be trying to throw us off...which is why his words should be taken with a grain of salt.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...207#7401035207

Hey He-Fans,

I've seen a lot of posts jumping to some conclusions regarding Classic Media's announcement about a licensing program in 2012. In an attempt to manage expectations, their specific 30th anniversary MOTU licensing program is not related to any of the announcements or changes we have for the MOTUC line. Classic Media retains full rights to the vintage animated show, which is why they are the ones licensing it out the classic show for 2012.

Yes, we are working with them on the style guide to include some Classics branding elements (fonts, colors etc...) as well and to keep it "on brand" but this does not alter or change any fundamental right issues regarding the classic animated series.

I hope this helps clarify!

TG
    Absolutely, clear as mud!

I wonder how long it took him to phrase that statement so as to both be true and not give away the fact that we are going to see Filmation characters at SDCC?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Everything I ever say should be taken with a grain of salt. Things change too often in the toy industry from set plans. Sometimes even I can't keep up!

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Everything I ever say should be taken with a grain of salt....

oh yeah?? just playin
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael