Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Grayskull He-Man Has The "Improved Ankles" from product photos :(

Club Grayskull He-Man Has The "Improved Ankles" from product photos :(

Thanks to PaTrIcKfOgArTy, We now know that at least the He-man figure from this line has one of the worst design/engineering/aesthetic visually unpleasing issues yet to grace a modern MOTU figure. He basically has shoe trees for feet.

Patrick's Production figure:

Shoe Trees:

The real question now, will be how many figures will be tainted with this marionette nightmare, since many of the figures will likely use the same feet and pivot piece(Namely Skelteor and Beastman)-and what they are going to do about it. Will they retool the pieces and send out replacement parts once they have the new molds? Oh right, I forgot. Digital River.

BONUS: If you look at the top of the boots you can see the cuff is too small and a shadow from the top of the edge of the calf glares over the boot.

This is such a disaster!!!!!! So ugly!!! Even Mantenna's feet looks better and he has the same type of ankle design.
    Please like my cool MOTU Universe FaceBook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/browse/admi...14947855236095

I was planning to pick up some of these filmation figures but it looks like an easy pass now.

I bought x2 Club Grayskull for renditions of the 4H prototypes & based on the articulation that has been present for all MOTUC figures so far. There was NO mention of Mattel experimenting with a new ankle articulation, because if they did I wouldn't have subbed....definitely not x2....as I have so little faith in the Mattycollector team Transparency! ....(or whatever the New weekly Team is currently calling themselves.)

I NEVER expected a Vintage MOTU Accessory + a Filmation He-Man = what we'll be receiving....I never expected STILT STALKER He-Man of Filmation!
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    only looks bad from the side view though from the front you barely notice it
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Wow, that looks awful. What was wrong with the old ankle articulation?

Are you going to be at worms-eye-view with a macro lens staring at the ankles all the time? Probably not. Look at Patrick's other photos. It's almost unnoticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Are you going to be at worms-eye-view with a macro lens staring at the ankles all the time? Probably not. Look at Patrick's other photos. It's almost unnoticeable.
    Some of us ARE a bit more discerning. (80% so far according to the poll I posted) Not only do the ankles look terrible, but it also makes him taller than other classics figures. It is a shame since MOST of him came out so well, especially the head.

There are still other issues though.

Reused generally panned Filmation sword.
    Forearms very small with the bracers hindering articulation
    Boots themselves being too small to hold his calves

But the most egregious thing, are the ankles. Whether or not I stick my face in his feet doesn't matter. I know they are there, and it is made even worse since he will be in the front of any display (can't hide him in the back) -he's He-man.
    Last edited by darkmoon766; February 12, 2016 at 12:15pm.

I feel more and more that the entire filmation line is a waste of resources! Great packaging tho��
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

Quote Originally Posted by torbjorge View Post
    I feel more and more that the entire filmation line is a waste of resources! Great packaging tho��
    Not really, it gives people a chance to get some of the more rare expensive main characters (He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Trap-Jaw). I would be happy with only a few more Filmation figs and just be done with it. Just enough to get:

Shadow Weaver
    Fisto
    The Sorceress
    Teela
    Hordak

^With the exception of Hordak, this is what most people have a hard time finding at a reasonable price.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by torbjorge View Post
    I'll disagree. It's not a waste of resources when some of us have wanted these cartoon figures for 30 years and are finally getting them. And I hope we get a lot more like man at arms, merman triklops whiplash teela sorceress fisto hordak shadow weaver she Ra grizzlor leech mantenna Ram man roboto prince Adam kobra khan entrapta. A lot of these would also help people who missed out on the motuc figures a chance to pick them up at twenty dollars as well as correcting issues from the motuc version like sorceress wings and roboto cracked torso

Plus they now have tooled the necessary parts to create most of these characters with just a new head and armor needed. And a few like weaver or adam or entrapta straight repaints
    Last edited by degra; February 12, 2016 at 12:39pm.

please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.

Well not quite that close up but yes, I do like to admire the figures from top to bottom and at all angles. Otherwise they might as well just sculpt and paint the front of the figure to save costs as who will see the back when it's stood on the shelf anyway?

I saw that last night, but didn't comment as it was late.

It is a bit of a disappointment. From the comments in one of the other threads it looked more likely that we'd be getting the ankles that were on the leaked figures on ebay, so I was quietly optimistic. Now they're starting to reach customers and we're seeing they do have these ankles, I'm not so very happy.

Part of me kinda regrets getting my sub reinstated last night. But the other part of me, the bigger part, is still going, "Yippie, finally, real He-Man!" So, I'm still willing to overlook the ankles even though I'm not fond of them. Would have preferred the ones on the leaked figures though.
    Filmation style means Filmation stye!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
    only looks bad from the side view though from the front you barely notice it
    So I get a figure I can only display from the front? Most of my figures are facing off, so at least one foot is almost always in a side view.

After all this time and so many instances, getting a little tired of having to settle for or overlook Mattel's design blunders that other manufacturers seem to have left behind years ago (it's the exact same design Toy Biz used over a decade ago on some figures, a design that Hasbro wisely decided to abandon). When do we get the official word from Mattel telling us "These are your ankles!"?

I was so excited for this line, and once again Mattel found a way to pour some cold water on it...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I've seen a lot of posts saying "it's not bad from most angles" or "its only a 20 dollar figure." Man we've become so conditioned to Matty abuse we accept passable.and call 20 plus shipping cheap. At 30 bucks he ought to have normal feet. It's not like normal feet cost more. In fact this mess probablly added cost. It makes even less sense to me because the animated design is simplified. Why add this in? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    I'll disagree. It's not a waste of resources when some of us have wanted these cartoon figures for 30 years and are finally getting them. And I hope we get a lot more like man at arms, merman triklops whiplash teela sorceress fisto hordak shadow weaver she Ra grizzlor leech mantenna Ram man roboto prince Adam kobra khan entrapta. A lot of these would also help people who missed out on the motuc figures a chance to pick them up at twenty dollars as well as correcting issues from the motuc version like sorceress wings and roboto cracked torso

Plus they now have tooled the necessary parts to create most of these characters with just a new head and armor needed. And a few like weaver or adam or entrapta straight repaints
    Technically I just paid $35 to have this shipped to me. when you think about it I have to pay $15 3/4 of the actual figure just to get it...and I get this?
    Last edited by MikeC; February 12, 2016 at 02:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    I've seen a lot of posts saying "it's not bad from most angles" or "its only a 20 dollar figure." Man we've become so conditioned to Matty abuse we accept passable.and call 20 plus shipping cheap. At 30 bucks he ought to have normal feet. It's not like normal feet cost more. In fact this mess probablly added cost. It makes even less sense to me because the animated design is simplified. Why add this in? Ugh.
    EXACTLY! Especially the few extreme Matty apologists (Not the majority of Matty/MOTU optimists) & a few people who were super stoked for Filmation MOTU figures hating classics details. They display almost a need to downplay the issue....& get this.....try to SHAME the majority of posters who do not find Mattel's Newest BLUNDER (Anklegate) one bit acceptable!

Almost like if we complain about a figure of a Toy line they really love, we need to be told we are being overly dramatic & just being overly critical or "over reacting".

Now I'm exaggerating below, but it's almost like I keep hearing variations of this:

Apologist A.): "O.M.G....what are you guys like totally O.C.D. & Fixated on a figures ankles? It's only going on a shelf & you shouldn't even notice it.

Apologist B.) "If the New Ankles bother you....that seems to be more of a problem with you, then the ankles.

Apologist C.) I've waited 30 years 4 months 2 weeks 5 hrs & 13.5 mins for theses Filmation Figures & they look GREAT.... anyways they are only S20.00!!! .... Oh it's $20 + S/H + Tax ....oh that's almost $40??? Well it's only like $40.00 then. Oh wait you double subbed? Well I'm happy to get them regardless. I will be back in a few months outraged when one of the figures I'm really dying for gets BOTCHED (ex. Evil-Lyn).

Apologist D.) I would rather have a figure that's really articulated & can be put in great dynamic poses....even if that means in reality He-Man w/ those ankles would not be able to stop a rowdy drunken Widget from urinating on Castle Grayskull's Jawbride, let alone stop The Combined forces of Skeletor, Beastman, Trap-Jaw, Clawful, & Evil-Lyn from taking Grayskull.

Actually Club Grayskull's EVIL SEED will probably have the strongest ankles in the "2.0" Universe.... meanwhile Man-At-Arms will pull out the machine that helped Rotar for He-Man. Oh now I see, it's all leading up to the Next variants...Energy Zoids He-Man vs Skeletor....to use the Rotar & Twistoid tooling again!

Now I want to say, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with people who like the ankles, or who don't care much about how the ankles turned out. I'm glad they do not bother you... BUT... The VAST MAJORITY of people DON'T FIND them the LEAST BIT ACCEPTABLE at all.....so why try to keep telling US WHY it SHOULDN'T Bother Us?????

#StockholmSyndrome
    Last edited by invisibleboy; February 12, 2016 at 04:10pm.
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe that's what the stone block is for?

To stand in front of the figure and block the view of the ankles?

seems legit. Some great posing availible here I'd wager. I wont be able to try it out until I buy Skeletor months from now but I'll see in person then. No problem for me.

Give me a break. The ankles are terrible. There are zero reasons for them to be this bad. I'm a hardcore collector of many different figure lines and this is as bad a job as I've seen with ankle articulation.

Congratulations on not giving a damn, don't expect the rest of us to follow suit. Most of us care a lot about this hobby.
    Hey Matty, Snake Mountain rocks! Please make it!!!

I feel that there needed to be something done about the old style ankles, but am not really convinced this was the solution. The figures have slowly lost leg articulation over the years. compare the original Skeletor to the figures in the 200X sub such as Evilseed for example.

I would have thought Mattel could have come up with a more aesthetically pleasing solution that this though. The Marvel Legend figures have a better and nicer looking sculpt and range for my mind.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by invisibleboy View Post
    EXACTLY! Especially the few extreme Matty apologists (Not the majority of Matty/MOTU optimists) & a few people who were super stoked for Filmation MOTU figures hating classics details. They display almost a need to downplay the issue....& get this.....try to SHAME the majority of posters who do not find Mattel's Newest BLUNDER (Anklegate) one bit acceptable!

Almost like if we complain about a figure of a Toy line they really love, we need to be told we are being overly dramatic & just being overly critical or "over reacting".

Now I'm exaggerating below, but it's almost like I keep hearing variations of this:

Apologist A.): "O.M.G....what are you guys like totally O.C.D. & Fixated on a figures ankles? It's only going on a shelf & you shouldn't even notice it.

Apologist B.) "If the New Ankles bother you....that seems to be more of a problem with you, then the ankles.

Apologist C.) I've waited 30 years 4 months 2 weeks 5 hrs & 13.5 mins for theses Filmation Figures & they look GREAT.... anyways they are only S20.00!!! .... Oh it's $20 + S/H + Tax ....oh that's almost $40??? Well it's only like $40.00 then. Oh wait you double subbed? Well I'm happy to get them regardless. I will be back in a few months outraged when one of the figures I'm really dying for gets BOTCHED (ex. Evil-Lyn).

Apologist D.) I would rather have a figure that's really articulated & can be put in great dynamic poses....even if that means in reality He-Man w/ those ankles would not be able to stop a rowdy drunken Widget from urinating on Castle Grayskull's Jawbride, let alone stop The Combined forces of Skeletor, Beastman, Trap-Jaw, Clawful, & Evil-Lyn from taking Grayskull.

Actually Club Grayskull's EVIL SEED will probably have the strongest ankles in the "2.0" Universe.... meanwhile Man-At-Arms will pull out the machine that helped Rotar for He-Man. Oh now I see, it's all leading up to the Next variants...Energy Zoids He-Man vs Skeletor....to use the Rotar & Twistoid tooling again!

Now I want to say, I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with people who like the ankles, or who don't care much about how the ankles turned out. I'm glad they do not bother you... BUT... The VAST MAJORITY of people DON'T FIND them the LEAST BIT ACCEPTABLE at all.....so why try to keep telling US WHY it SHOULDN'T Bother Us?????

#StockholmSyndrome
    I'm not into dudes, but if I were, I'd totally be smitten right now.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I'm not into dudes, but if I were, I'd totally be smitten right now.
    And if "I" were into dudes, I'd be just as disgusted by both your & invisibleboy's posts as I am now.

I'd still let you buy me dinner though.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    "Whether or not I stick my face in his feet doesn't matter. I know they are there..."
    And, this quote^^^^ ladies & gents sums up exactly why I think every criticism of this awesome new He-Man figure is 99% unwarranted. I mean.... Really?

Add to that that this figure is a MIRACLE in design, posing better than every MOTUC figure (as well as EVERY other 6 inch and 7 inch scale figure/figure line in my vast collection), and the idea that Matty is actually retooling the ankle because of these complaints scares the heck outta me.

If I get the retooled Club Grayskull figures and they don't pose as well as this He-Man does, it'll be painful posting among you (to use darkmoon's words) 80% poll-proven "discerning" MOTU figure collectors.

Time will tell.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post
    And if "I" were into dudes, I'd be just as disgusted by both your & invisibleboy's posts as I am now.

Disgusted that I dare have an opinion?

Well, aren't you a ray of freaking sunshine???
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Webstor's Ghost View Post

I'd still let you buy me dinner though.

And, this quote^^^^ ladies & gents sums up exactly why I think every criticism of this awesome new He-Man figure is 99% unwarranted. I mean.... Really?

Add to that that this figure is a MIRACLE in design, posing better than every MOTUC figure (as well as EVERY other 6 inch and 7 inch scale figure/figure line in my vast collection), and the idea that Matty is actually retooling the ankle because of these complaints scares the heck outta me.

If I get the retooled Club Grayskull figures and they don't pose as well as this He-Man does, it'll be painful posting among you (to use darkmoon's words) 80% poll-proven "discerning" MOTU figure collectors.

Time will tell.
    Excusing the inept work here as a"miracle in design" is ludicrous. I have Marvel Legends figures who can pose their feet in almost any position humanly possible and some humans can't do that don't have a huge gaping space where an ankle should be. Yes, the ankle can apparently make an almost 90 degree angle with the leg laterally, which would snap any human ankle in multiple places unless it belonged to Reed Richards (a sideways tilt of the ankle of anything beyond around 9-10 degrees would actually induce injury, and most folks apparently can't even do that). I don't need my figures to assume stances so extreme even He-Man would be howling in pain. All fans were asking for was a return to the kind of ankle articulation we already had in the line, which already was more than an actual human would have.

I'm sure Mattel could design an elbow that bends all the way back at 90 degrees, or a knee that bends forward the same, but collectors would have no more use for that than they do this, because the figure would look ludicrous posed like that. Check out the splits picture in the other thread to see how ridiculous it actually is.

The only real solution here is to fix the error (and there's no other word that fits) and give us the corrected boots packed in with future figures. Instead of a Build a Figure part, cal it a Re-Build a Figure piece.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman