Thread: When the classics line first arrived...

Widget

When the classics line first arrived...

As much as I think everyone absolutely loves the motuc line, I'm curious what the general opinion of you knowledgable fans was when it was first introduced?

I've mostly been collecting lines of other brands by other companies, original and commemorative, in recent years, and I now hit myself in the head for missing when motuc began. So can you fill me in a little?

What was the common opinions of the size and look of the figures when the first figures arrived, and how well did it balance between the looks of the 80's Mattel line and Filmation series? Was there alot of discussion about things like that? What was generally preferred, the Filmation or Mattel look? What figures have been most debated, and about what?

Also, I'd love to see any links to personal reviewsites or blogs for motuc figures.

Thanks

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    At the onset, there was a lot of butthurt (myself included) that the 4 Horsemen were abandoning the 200X look for something more retro. Finally seeing King Grayskull, but getting this neutered, "classic" version of a character who was never a "classic" action figure was unnerving to some.

Then there was the notion of shared tooling. A big draw for the 200X fans was the fact that each character got a sculpt that reflected their body type, and the design of their vintage armor was worked into the entire figure. The Classics mandate was that every human would have the same furry boots, the same gauntlets, and the same body build. Again, it felt like a step backwards.

Finally, there was Scott Neitlich's infamous "Widest Distribution Ever" claim in 2007, which turned out to be doubletalk for "we can't get these into stores, so we're creating a website that can ship worldwide." - Matty caused most of the problems with a buggy website, crazy International shipping fees, and a the need to log on during work hours once a month to (frequently) miss out on the new figure because of the aforementioned buggy website.

That said, there was a *lot* of positive buzz about the line. Most of the fans who stuck with it over the 8 years were looking for exactly what was being offered. "Chunky" figures that pushed all the right nostalgia buttons. The rest of us either were won over by the character selection, or just simple OCD (personally I intended to only collect the original 8-back figures, but I broke as soon as they announced the Goddess at SDCC 2009).

I think most everyone hated He-Man's head sculpt, either immediately or over time. With so much else that was dead-on 80's nostalgia, the male lead's portrait just wasn't rockin'. The replacement head we got in the final year seems to have fixed that problem dead-bang, tho.
    Last edited by Straight Edge; Today at 05:35pm.
    Red Beast needs your support!

Please consider Red Beast, the MUST HAVE concept figure, when making your Wish Lists for Super 7!

For me, it was a dream come true. The 200x line was pretty cool, but this was full-on retro in style, but with updated articulation. No more squat looking, pudgy fingered figures with wide faces.

Instant sell outs, problems with the MATTY website, and distribution problems were often a nuisance, but the figures themselves were just great.
    Odd Man Out

Straight Edge answered this much better than I could have.

The early reviews are surprisingly mixed. After my disgust at not even finding Evil-Lyn in stores, I gave up on the 200x line and Classics didn't draw me in at all . . . until 2013 when I saw a Shadow Weaver on eBay (I had forgotten about the line honestly). Since then, it's become basically all I collect (other than occasional comic book figures or statues).

Over all the line is amazing in terms of figures, but less amazing in terms of how it was distributed and sold.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

I was collecting something else at the time (G. I. Joe 25th Anniversary) and kept getting disappointed by so many flawed design choices and re-released under-sized vintage vehicles when it was supposed to be a retro line with improved articulation and detail.

Knee-deep in that line, but, again, often disappointed, I saw the Classics He-Man pop up on line in November 2008.

I was underwhelmed and not impressed. I thought the head was very flawed. Didn't like it.

But I later saw how spot-on and amazing Skeletor, Zodac, Faker, Stratos, and especially Mer-Man, looked. So despite the He-Man head being off (which was later corrected in the Oo-Larr release), I dove in for the vintage figures.

Eventually, seeing how every vintage character was almost nailed by the Horsemen, I dropped out of the G. I. Joe line. This has been and still is the only line I have and display, though it's only whittled down to all the pieces released in the vintage line (and it's still huge!). I'm now hoping we at least get a Classics Stridor to go along with Classics Night Stalker.
    Last edited by RockinHard; Today at 06:17pm.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Road Ripper 3) Dragon Walker 4) Land Shark

'WunDar' Bread Enthusiast Afterlife07's Avatar
    Can't speak for the general public, but when I saw this in I believe 2007...:

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/189_full.jpg

...I knew my wallet was going to be much emptier in the coming years. I think I was sitting with a friend when I saw the reveal and I literally jumped out of my seat in excitement (to be young and carefree again, haha).

I loved the line from the day I opened my SDCC King Grayskull's packaging with it's lighting and sounds effects, but it wasn't until Webstor in 2009 that the line really had me speechless (still in my top 3 so far). Mattycollector was a nightmare until the subs were offered, but honestly they were worth it to me, troubles and all.

I still want that He-Man we saw in 2007 with the silver bracers, paler skin, and lighter shades though!

I, honestly, thought it was going to be a failure and went about my business collecting Star Wars and GI Joe. When Skeletor was to be released I bit. He sold me on the line and vision that Mattel / 4H had. I did the "spend half my day refreshing to be lucky enough to give my money away so I can buy your product" until Zodac. A shipping issue on DR's part forced to call and follow-up on my order. The way that the DR rep spoke to me from the get go is still to this day some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Zodac would also be the last figure I bought from Mattel directly.

I found myself an eBay reseller I felt I could trust and up until I forgot about Roton (I'm a small business owner and last Christmas was chaotic) I ordered everything through that third party seller.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, the biggest thing that Classics really kicked off in full fury were the era wars. Roughly half the fans were rabid fans of the 200x look and style and wanted that to continue at all costs and anything that was 'reused' or 'vintage' was utter crap and lazy... and the other half (myself included) were over the wall about this new line being EXACTLY what we wanted it to be and any push to have it be more 200x needed immediate pushback to let Matty know we wanted it vintage.

It got pretty ugly at times.

Personally, I always felt the figures were a little TOO big. Considering how hard it was to get playsets and vehicles and stuff made for this line, I wish they had gone with the more vintage size just to reuse the various castles and Spydor's and things we'll never see now. Similar to the way GIJOE was really close in size to their vintage and could just rerelease vintage vehicles...

I only planned on getting the 8-12 back tops, with really He-man and Skeletor the only MUST haves... but ended up getting a LOT more after the Subs became mandatory...

Quote Originally Posted by Afterlife07 View Post

...I knew my wallet was going to be much emptier in the coming years. I think I was sitting with a friend when I saw the reveal and I literally jumped out of my seat in excitement (to be young and carefree again, haha).

I loved the line from the day I opened my SDCC King Grayskull's packaging with it's lighting and sounds effects, but it wasn't until Webstor in 2009 that the line really had me speechless (still in my top 3 so far). Mattycollector was a nightmare until the subs were offered, but honestly they were worth it to me, troubles and all.

I still want that He-Man we saw in 2007 with the silver bracers, paler skin, and lighter shades though!
    I saw that same picture, and was knocked over. I was gone from the He-Man scene for about 8 months and was ready to quit collecting.

My only gripe back then is that they were not the same size as the 1980's line. I just wanted to replace some of my main characters, and get He-Ro. But now I'm glad they are the size they are. This is by far the best action figure line ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what I thought back then:
    http://he-man.us/MOTUC.html

Widget
    Interesting info to dig into, I feel I'm catching up here on what the line means to fans that were there from the start. Thanks for the replies everyone!

I can recognize much of the joy and trouble you describe, from other lines I've collected. I really get the distribution and shipping fee trouble. But I guess all of it was maxed out with Motuc, since it's such a large community of fans.

Nice to hear how some of you were won over by certain figures. I've seen so many cool figures in this line which I never even knew existed, that drew me in. And it's nice to see that we all don't think alike, because some of my favorites seem obtainable still.

Something that would had hurt me straight in the heart if I was a faithful completist of motuc from the start though, would had been those exclusive figures that were not available for all. I think there were atleast one of those, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Afterlife07 View Post

Well said!

Also, I believe the original plan was to make only about 6 characters.

Things changed.
    Odd Man Out

I was slightly disappointed that we weren't getting super-articulated versions of the 2002 designs-- basically what the 4H wanted to do in that line to begin with-- without the figures being marred by levers sticking out of their backs. Still, I've loved MOTU in its various forms from the very beginning, so I was on the hook from the moment SDCC King Grayskull was released. After suffering numerous problems at the hands of Digital River, like a lot of other customers, I loved the line enough to stick with it. I lost my job around the time Keldor was released, and had to stop buying them for quite awhile. (I had to sell my King Grayskull during that time to help pay the bills... I still regret doing that, but I didn't have much choice at the time.) I'm still gradually plugging the holes in my collection.

Looking back at the figures that were released in the interim, it seems as if the line got away from what it was at the beginning for a while, with many figures releasing as straight vintage updates with little or no 2002-era aspects mixed in. That is to the detriment of those figures, in my opinion. The "no 2002 heads" edict that followed Whiplash's release was utter nonsense, and very short-sighted. (That was relaxed later, thankfully, though it meant paying for a set of heads that should have been included with their respective figures in the first place.) The greatest figures in the line are the ones that achieved a good balance of the two eras, such as Trap Jaw, Man-at-Arms, and Hordak. Compared to the likes of them, figures that turned out to be purely resculpted vintage designs are boring. The vintage figures already exist, and if I'm shelling out $30+ for a figure of that character, I want something new in the mix, not a straight rehash.

Anyway, I kinda went on a tangent there. When the line first kicked off, I loved it, and it's gone on to surpass my wildest expectations. Figures I had wanted since I was a kid (such as Procrustus and the Goddess) were finally produced, along with amazing concept figures that immediately became some of my favorite figures ever made(Demo Man and Vikor). If I have one big regret about the line, it's that we never got a 2002-style Skeletor. We got a Snake Armor He-Man and 2002 King Hiss in the Classics style, but it looks like I'll never get a super-articulated version of that incredible 2002 Skeletor design. So, yeah, kinda went on another tangent there, sorry. I'm just in that sort of mood tonight, I reckon.

I was super excited when I saw it back in 2007. The result of that initial tease is nothing I ever could have imagined would happen. I was somewhat sad the 200x stactions were ending, but the Classics line more than made up for it.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Lizorr, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Artilla, Hoove, Kayo, ABC Giants