Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Iron Fist Series

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar

Netflix Iron Fist Series

Another good one can't wait until March 17, 2017!

I'm so excited for this series, it can't come fast enough.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Heroic Warrior
    Marvel has been knocking out of the park with that.

Can't wait for Punisher next
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

And it ****** me off that certain people wanted Iron Fist to be Asian...Huh??

No he was who he was when he was created I don't care about the "PC" character crap that you have to change someone to make them happy...Good for you Marvel! stay the course...

Looks really cool! March is a long wait though.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

An Asian Iron Fist would've been fun. As long as the stories are good and the characters are true to form, I'm more than okay with some cosmetic changes. Singer's X-Men movies are a good example of what you can deviate from and still do it justice. Still, with a character who isn't so well known, like Iron Fist, I can understand them wanting him to look the same across the different media.

I'm excited for Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu! He's supposed to be a supporting cast member. I've been a big fan of that character for years.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post

I'm excited for Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu! He's supposed to be a supporting cast member. I've been a big fan of that character for years.
    Me too but I was watching that idiot Kevin Smith talk about Luke Cage and him and the other guy were "disappointed" that they didn't use an Asian to play Iron Fist....But if you do that doesn't that type cast saying that Asians are only good for martial arts roles???

Key Shang-Chi as Asian because that's who he was I have a feeling we might see Steel Serpent & White Tiger...now that would kick ass....
    Last edited by Megalodon; October 14, 2016 at 06:17pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd love to see Netflix/Marvel studios do Howard next
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Nice to see Madame Gao appear at 0:22, she was good in Daredevil (was she ever in the comics?)

Havent read much Power man & Iron Fist but I liked them when they appeared in "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes"

My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

Woof.

So far this one is hard to sit through.

Finn Jones appears to be horribly miscast, the fight scenes are really poor and even more choppy, and the whole thing is, so far, a huge drag.

How do you make a boring show about Iron Fist?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Woof.

So far this one is hard to sit through.

Finn Jones appears to be horribly miscast, the fight scenes are really poor and even more choppy, and the whole thing is, so far, a huge drag.

How do you make a boring show about Iron Fist?
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

This show is, by far, the worst of the Marvel Netflix series.

Way too many stupid things happening that are meant to advance the plot, but really just leave the viewer asking, "why did that just happen?"

And I agree on Finn Jones being miscast... he brings absolutely no solidarity to the role of Iron Fist, and comes off as almost bored during the course of the show...

It's sad when a show that is supposed to be about martial arts actually falls miserably short to the fight-choreography in every other Marvel show on Netflix... I would suggest to fans that they stick with Ed Brubaker's Iron Fist run in the Marvel comics. Where Danny participates in a Martial Arts tournament in another dimension... very awesome and full of wit, humor and action (kinda like this show should have been.)
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Hmm, I really liked it. I burned through the whole season in three days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

This show is, by far, the worst of the Marvel Netflix series.

Way too many stupid things happening that are meant to advance the plot, but really just leave the viewer asking, "why did that just happen?"

And I agree on Finn Jones being miscast... he brings absolutely no solidarity to the role of Iron Fist, and comes off as almost bored during the course of the show...

It's sad when a show that is supposed to be about martial arts actually falls miserably short to the fight-choreography in every other Marvel show on Netflix... I would suggest to fans that they stick with Ed Brubaker's Iron Fist run in the Marvel comics. Where Danny participates in a Martial Arts tournament in another dimension... very awesome and full of wit, humor and action (kinda like this show should have been.)
    Its amazing how bad it is. Poor choreography, and bad editing to try to "fix" it. Supposedly this show was rushed into production - and if so, it shows.

I think it also hurts that all the shows so far have been so similar in tone, that its feeling like diminishing returns. I think each show/season has gotten a bit worse than the last (with Cage's biggest failing being that it probably should've had half as as many episodes...), but this is the first one that I've actively disliked.

And I've been a big Iron Fist fan since the 70s (and I agree, the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja run is probably one of the 3-5 best books Marvel has put out in the last decade+).

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Hmm, I really liked it. I burned through the whole season in three days.
    Yeah, I loved it too. I wasn't bored in the least. Now I'm excited for Defenders!
    If anyone has a Queen Marlena cardback for sale, please let me know. Thanks!!!!

My trade feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212100

I wasn't bored by it and I made it through the whole season in one weekend, but it did frustrate me.

The Meachums were too unlikable to be protagonists and too bland to be villains, but they took up a lot of the show. Wenham particularly was very underwhelming (though the writing may be to blame more than him).

I didn't really get what Danny wanted when he left Kun'Lune. Did he actually hate being stuck there (the monks DID whip him I mean, I saw very little Heaven in the parts of it we glimpsed)? Did he want to avenge his parents whom he sensed but didn't realize had been betrayed (despite that he was supposed to have given up his identity to become the Iron Fist)? Did he want to reconnect with his almost-family the Meachums (who were total JERKS to him even in his memories)? Did he want to honor his father by taking back the company that bore his name (despite that he claimed the people left to run it were as good as family)? Or did he just want his money back (ultimately his most credible motivation IMO)? I felt like the answer was a little of everything, but none of the contradictions were addressed for me.

I realize they couldn't afford to do a lot with K'un-Lune but by the end I felt we should have seen his whole origin play out because it was vastly more interesting than what was shown. I mean, if they didn't just because it would have made the stuff in New York look lame, maybe that's a clue something needed to be fixed? If they couldn't afford to render K'un-Lune on a TV budget (I've seen other shows like BBC's Atlantis manage impressive fantasy sets on TV) then they probably shouldn't have bothered with the show at all and just had Danny show up in Defenders.

The pacing was very slow at the start and conversations repetitive throughout. Some characters felt forced to act a certain way. When the big twist comes about Colleen, it felt like they had just changed her story and didn't bother to go back and edit earlier episodes to make it fit. Joy and Davos have plenty of reason to hate the Hand, yet they seem to be joining them at the end? Also, how dangerous is the Hand if its factions are fighting each other as apparently happens here? Even Claire made some head scratching choices like flying to China to fight ninjas. What possessed her to try that?! I half expect her to say "We should also get help from this blind lawyer I know, but he's out of town for a few months so we'll have to ask him for help with the Hand in the next series (wink to the audience)." They also never satisfyingly explained if we should be rooting for the monks of K'un-Lune or if they're as corrupt as the Hand. I for one wasn't convinced they were good guys at all, and I feel I should have felt that way because Danny did. Instead I felt like Danny was a dolt believing their propaganda (although the Hand was clearly no better).

I liked seeing Madame Gao again, but she sounded like an evil fortune cookie-reader more than ever. I liked seeing Claire again even though her presence felt forced several times. I didn't hate Finn Jones as Danny, but it was hard to judge if it was his acting or the bad dialogue to blame. I do think they could have made Danny half Caucasian and half Asian (particularly after one of Gao's mysterious revelations about his parents), and resolved the "white savior" syndrome and at the same increased his sense of not belonging fully to either of the two worlds he was straddling. But what's done is done. I hope he shaves and puts on the mask in the future anyway.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 21, 2017 at 04:32pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I wasn't bored by it and I made it through the whole season in one weekend, but it did frustrate me.

The Meachums were too unlikable to be protagonists and too bland to be villains, but they took up a lot of the show. Wenham particularly was very underwhelming (though the writing may be to blame more than him).

I didn't really get what Danny wanted when he left Kun'Lune. Did he actually hate being stuck there (the monks DID whip him I mean, I saw very little Heaven in the parts of it we glimpsed)? Did he want to avenge his parents whom he sensed but didn't realize had been betrayed (despite that he was supposed to have given up his identity to become the Iron Fist)? Did he want to reconnect with his almost-family the Meachums (who were total JERKS to him even in his memories)? Did he want to honor his father by taking back the company that bore his name (despite that he claimed the people left to run it were as good as family)? Or did he just want his money back (ultimately his most credible motivation IMO)? I felt like the answer was a little of everything, but none of the contradictions were addressed for me.

I realize they couldn't afford to do a lot with K'un-Lune but by the end I felt we should have seen his whole origin play out because it was vastly more interesting than what was shown. I mean, if they didn't just because it would have made the stuff in New York look lame, maybe that's a clue something needed to be fixed? If they couldn't afford to render K'un-Lune on a TV budget (I've seen other shows like BBC's Atlantis manage impressive fantasy sets on TV) then they probably shouldn't have bothered with the show at all and just had Danny show up in Defenders.

The pacing was very slow at the start and conversations repetitive throughout. Some characters felt forced to act a certain way. When the big twist comes about Colleen, it felt like they had just changed her story and didn't bother to go back and edit earlier episodes to make it fit. Joy and Davos have plenty of reason to hate the Hand, yet they seem to be joining them at the end? Also, how dangerous is the Hand if its factions are fighting each other as apparently happens here? Even Claire made some head scratching choices like flying to China to fight ninjas. What possessed her to try that?! I half expect her to say "We should also get help from this blind lawyer I know, but he's out of town for a few months so we'll have to ask him for help with the Hand in the next series (wink to the audience)." They also never satisfyingly explained if we should be rooting for the monks of K'un-Lune or if they're as corrupt as the Hand. I for one wasn't convinced they were good guys at all, and I feel I should have felt that way because Danny did. Instead I felt like Danny was a dolt believing their propaganda (although the Hand was clearly no better).

I liked seeing Madame Gao again, but she sounded like an evil fortune cookie-reader more than ever. I liked seeing Claire again even though her presence felt forced several times. I didn't hate Finn Jones as Danny, but it was hard to judge if it was his acting or the bad dialogue to blame. I do think they could have made Danny half Caucasian and half Asian (particularly after one of Gao's mysterious revelations about his parents), and resolved the "white savior" syndrome and at the same increased his sense of not belonging fully to either of the two worlds he was straddling. But what's done is done. I hope he shaves and puts on the mask in the future anyway.

These are all great things to point out. The scripts varied wildly, both in quality and how they characterized the Meachums, Danny, and pretty much everyone else. Danny was profoundly unlikeable as a protagonist, and I agree he had serious motivation problems. I think the show lacked visual or tonal style or uniqueness - Luke Cage, for example, had a lot of plot and pacing issues but it was so one-of-a-kind you just had to go along with it. I can definitely see this series being rushed. I know Marvel had a lot of trouble finding the right approach for it, especially given those central tropes were commonplace in the '70s but more than a little uncomfortable now.

Finn Jones wasn't great but I don't even blame him for this. (It's being reported now that they only had about 15 minutes to choreograph each fight scene before they started filming.) This was all the showrunner's fault, in my opinion. I wish they would've handed it all over to the RZA, who directed the best episode of the series by far!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Its amazing how bad it is. Poor choreography, and bad editing to try to "fix" it. Supposedly this show was rushed into production - and if so, it shows.

I think it also hurts that all the shows so far have been so similar in tone, that its feeling like diminishing returns. I think each show/season has gotten a bit worse than the last (with Cage's biggest failing being that it probably should've had half as as many episodes...), but this is the first one that I've actively disliked.

And I've been a big Iron Fist fan since the 70s (and I agree, the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja run is probably one of the 3-5 best books Marvel has put out in the last decade+).
    Yeah, I just can't help but laugh at the disparity between this show and the other Netflix series... I kept getting flashes of Walker Texas Ranger when watching Iron Fist (boom! Claire comes charging in with her SUV and hops out just in time to throw Colleen her lost katana so she can ... knock her opponent ...unconscious? ...really?!?) LOL :/

And I think it was episode 8 where Danny faces a drunken master (who has an Australian accent and very poor makeup effects) that is a pitiful and pale imitation of Yuen Woo-ping / Jackie Chan's Drunken Master choreography. (Speaking of which, why did Madame Gau and her cronies speak English to each other while IN China?)

Of all the Marvel / Netflix series, this was the one that I felt had the most potential, and personally, was most excited for. The studio definitely should have made some better decisions and left this one in the oven longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Yeah, I loved it too. I wasn't bored in the least. Now I'm excited for Defenders!
    I'm the opposite. Now I fear for the Defenders. Is it going to have the fight sequences and gore of Daredevil? The suspense of Jessica Jones? The action and humor of Luke Cage? OR, is going to have the PG-rated, scatter-brained writing of this snore-fest called Iron Fist??
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I couldn't sit through the first episode and just quit after around 30 minutes. The writing was so bad it just made me angry. He disappeared when he was 15. How did he expect to just show up, looking like a homeless person, with no shoes on and expect to just walk into a corporation and talk to the senior management? Why would people just believe him? And why not make your case? Why not immediately tell them something only you could know to prove who you are? And when you finally do that why say to the guy who was a total bully to you when you were kids? Why not her instead, she was much nicer and obviously more inclined to help? After having the flashback on the rooftop with that board game, why not tell her that story when he met her downstairs in front of the house? That would make her believe him. And I don't care if he was away, he grew up in New York (till he was 15) - he knew you can't just break into a house, or stalk people, or abduct them in their car and expect that it would lead to them trusting you. All of what I saw in that first half of the first episode just made absolutely no sense. So I just couldn't keep watching, I didn't even get to those fight scenes you guys are talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I couldn't sit through the first episode and just quit after around 30 minutes. The writing was so bad it just made me angry. He disappeared when he was 15. How did he expect to just show up, looking like a homeless person, with no shoes on and expect to just walk into a corporation and talk to the senior management? Why would people just believe him? And why not make your case? Why not immediately tell them something only you could know to prove who you are? And when you finally do that why say to the guy who was a total bully to you when you were kids? Why not her instead, she was much nicer and obviously more inclined to help? After having the flashback on the rooftop with that board game, why not tell her that story when he met her downstairs in front of the house? That would make her believe him. And I don't care if he was away, he grew up in New York (till he was 15) - he knew you can't just break into a house, or stalk people, or abduct them in their car and expect that it would lead to them trusting you. All of what I saw in that first half of the first episode just made absolutely no sense. So I just couldn't keep watching, I didn't even get to those fight scenes you guys are talking about...
    I believe he was 10, not 15

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I believe he was 10, not 15
    You probably know better as I don't really know much about the canon. But that makes it even worse- if he was ten at the time of disappearance, how did he expect people to just recognize him as a grown man?! If this happened to me, I'd go to police first. Or come up with some plan to establish my identity before I start startling people at their workplace. I'd at least expect that they would be shocked and would need to process this. Come in easy and give them time. I mean seriously. Even it happened now, if I just went away for a decade, and then came back, I wouldn't expect people to just be like, oh, hello, there you are, welcome back, nothing has changed and you can just pick up where you left off, nobody has any questions whatsoever...

We've seen this story so many times, it's not exactly original, and I don't think it was ever handled so badly. Usually the returning superhero is somewhat aware that their return would disrupt his family just as their departure did.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I liked Iron Fist. Loved Gao, the Drunken Master and the Tai Chi warrior woman.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

It actually gets better as it goes, but it never actually gets good.

Rosario Dawson elevates the show whenever she's on it (even if she often doesn't have much to work with).

And Colleen Wing is much better than Danny. I really wish they'd have skipped Iron Fist for now and done a Daughters of the Dragon series instead...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    That was a sticking point...why not tell them all stuff that only they would know to confirm his identity from the start?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    I gave up on this show about halfway through the first episode, it was so bad. I have since looked up some of the fight scenes on youtube and to be brutally blunt... THIS IS NOT IRON FIST.

Iron Fist is one of the best martial artists in the marvel universe but this guy gets hit by low level thugs...a lot. Seriously he is only average when it comes to martial arts and he is the "Iron Fist" ?

What a load of BS.

I have seen 3 episodes already and I think it is very similar to Arrow. Besides the thought lost and dead rich kid that comes back to the city trained and changed, the overall soap-operistic overall plot, which I don't find suitable for a fighting vigilante but more in synch with a more romantic hero as Flash can be.

I could not watch Jessica Jones and could not stand enough to finish Luke Cage, but I think I was expecting Daredevil quality level (which I think it is the best IMHO). I don't know who IF showrunner is, but it must be someone who at least has a good idea for reinterpretation of the work of Roy Thomas, Gil Kane and mostly Matt Fraction & Ed Brubaker.

On the other hand, I don't like the way that Disney/Netflix handled MCU/Marvel TV interaction. As it seems to be confirmed already, MCU characters shall never interact with Marvel TV characters besides the already worn usage of Nick Fury & Maria Hill in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    I would have loved to see Daredevil/Spider-Man, King Pin/Spider-Man, Cap. America/Punisher or whatever crossover possibilities may be presented. Having everything in the same sandbox just for the sake of a glorified cameo of the Avengers building or the mention of "The Incident" makes the shared universe worthless. I would prefer DC approach in that case.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread