Thread: Original Star Wars 1977 -1983 Trilogy Movie question.

Original Star Wars 1977 -1983 Trilogy Movie question.

I did a search and did not find what i was looking for other than about action figures.

Question.. i wanna own all three original films WITHOUT the added CGI scenes. what was or were the latest yr(s) when these films were released without the added scenes? i wanna get the best remastered version if it makes a difference at all.

thanks
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I believe in 2008 the original, original trilogy came out as extra discs in DVD sets that also had the special editions. I believe they were non anamorphic transfers of the laserdisc versions, so they weren't really remastered. The sets are out of print now, so they might be pricey.

here is an article:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Origi..._trilogy_(DVD)

Not sure if it's been proven or debunked yet, but there's a rumour that Disney is going to release the originals on Blu-ray.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    That was debunked, fox still owns the rights to the original trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I believe in 2008 the original, original trilogy came out as extra discs in DVD sets that also had the special editions. I believe they were non anamorphic transfers of the laserdisc versions, so they weren't really remastered. The sets are out of print now, so they might be pricey.

here is an article:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Origi..._trilogy_(DVD)
    This^^^ I have the sets and the transfer was not very good but it's there. The laserdisc are the closest and then there are the old VHS.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Not sure if it's been proven or debunked yet, but there's a rumour that Disney is going to release the originals on Blu-ray.
    Yup, that's been going around for a few days.

Here is one article about it:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16...gy-to-be-rele/

Plenty of others can be found by doing a google news search for Star Wars Blu-Ray.

No official press release has gone out, and while it could be false, I think there's likely a lot of truth to it. With Disney owning Lucasfilm, George Lucas is no longer there to stop the release. And they are gearing up for next December's release of Star Wars episode VII, which has the original principal cast/characters from the original trilogy returning. It would be the perfect time to release it.

I've seem some people making ill-informed arguments about why it is "probably not" going to happen, mainly because 20th Century Fox still has the distribution rights for the 6 existing films through 2020, and that Disney would not bother prepping such a release while Fox still has those rights.

While it is true that Fox has the distribution rights, Lucasfilm would still be making money off of home media sales as well. I'm sure that there is some kind of splitting of the profits between Fox and Lucasfilm. I highly doubt that Lucasfilm (while under the control of George Lucas) wouldn't have made any money off of the sale of the previous Blu-Ray release from about 3 years ago. Obviously they would get a cut. And the same would hold true with Disney owning Lucasfilm now.

And like I said, next year would be a ripe time to release them. There will be so much hype around seeing Luke, Leia, and Han played by the same actors in a brand new movie that it would be the absolue best time to cash in on the opportunity.

But as for Carlo's original question about existing releases...

In 2004, the Star Wars Trilogy was released on DVD in the then-most-updated edition. The original versions were not included.

Two years later, in 2006, they released the movies individually in two-disc sets. The first disc for each movie was the exact same version from that 2004 set. The second disc in each set was the original version of each movie. This is what those releases look like:

Two years later, in 2008, they released a six disc original trilogy set in digipack style packaging. The six discs are the exact same ones from the individual releases from 2006, so you get the updated versions of the movies plus the original versions as well. This is what that set looks like:

But like Firefly said, for the original versions, they were just Laserdisc masters "dumped" onto DVDs. They are not anamorphic... meaning they are not "enhanced" for HDTVs.

Anamorphic DVDs automatically are formatted so that if you watch them on your HDTV, they properly fill up the screen.

A non-anamorphic DVD is not formatted that way. Instead is like watching a 4:3 "fullscreen" (by old TV stanards) image with black bars added to the top and bottom. When watching this on an HDTV, depending on your settings, you will most likely get a window-box effect in which the 16:9 TV adds black bars to the sides to accomodate the 4:3 image, but then since part of that 4:3 image is the widescreen black bars, you have them on the top and bottom as well. You can use your TV's zoom features to zoom in on the image and properly adjust it, but the quality is much worse than a proper anamorphic DVD (let alone a Blu-Ray).

The one interesting thing about this DVD release, however, is that it is the first and only time (so far) that the original Star Wars movie has been released without the "Episode IV: A New Hope" notation in the opening crawl, as it was when it originally came out in theaters. That was on every previous home media release. While these were made from laserdisc masters, that was the one adjustment they made to them.

Since these have been out of print for a while now (since I think at least a few month prior to the previous Blu-Ray release, if not more), they have gone up in price on the secondary market.

I have also heard some people argue that watching the actual laserdisc releases on a laserdisc player actually looks better than these DVDs. I guess it has something to do with the half-assed manner in which these were dumped onto the DVDs. Plus I think there were a few laserdisc releases, so some might be better than others. But the quality on today's TVs still wouldn't be great, and unless you already own a laserdisc player, it would be a lot of hassle to get a player and the discs. Not to mention that with laserdisc, the entire movie does not fit on a single side of one disc, so there's usually some disc flipping/changing involved just to watch a whole movie.

But you might also be able to get the laser discs for a more reasonable price than the aforementioned DVD sets.

In all honesty, if I were you, Carlo, I would just wait a bit to see if anything materializes from these rumors of the original films being prepped for a Blu-Ray release. But it's up to you how to proceed.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Even if the distribution rights were held solely by Disney, they would still need 20th Century Fox's permission to use their opening fanfare (which is part of the original score).

Which is why it makes more sense to release it now, before Fox loses the rights to the OT. At least this way they'll get a cut of the profits. Once Disney gains full control of the distribution rights, the opening pre-crawl for EP I-VI will probably be changed to remove the Fox logo/fanfare. So this may be the final opportunity to get a true theatrical cut of Star Wars out there, with the Fox fanfare intact.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Even if the distribution rights were held solely by Disney, they would still need 20th Century Fox's permission to use their opening fanfare (which is part of the original score).

Which is why it makes more sense to release it now, before Fox loses the rights to the OT. At least this way they'll get a cut of the profits. Once Disney gains full control of the distribution rights, the opening pre-crawl for EP I-VI will probably be changed to remove the Fox logo/fanfare. So this may be the final opportunity to get a true theatrical cut of Star Wars out there, with the Fox fanfare intact.
    For 5 of the movies...

20th Century Fox owns the worldwide theatrical, nontheatrical, and home video distribution rights for all six Star Wars films until 2020. But Fox owns "A New Hope" in perpetuity.

2nd Star To The Right, And Straight On 'Till Morning
    Disney just needs to buy Fox. Then they would get X-Men, Fantastic Four, and full Star Wars distribution rights.

(No, I am not expecting Disney to buy Fox.)

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    For 5 of the movies...

20th Century Fox owns the worldwide theatrical, nontheatrical, and home video distribution rights for all six Star Wars films until 2020. But Fox owns "A New Hope" in perpetuity.
    I keep hearing conflicting reports about this being true. Some say that they still own it. But I've heard others say that as part of the deal for the rights to distribute the prequels, Fox agreed to give ownership of ANH to Lucasfilm.

When the prequels were coming out, Lucasfilm was not required to distribute them through Fox, despite Fox having been the distributor on the original three. I actually remember hearing about that back when Episode 1 was first coming out. So, I could see that potentially being true. I'm not saying that it definitely is true, but the logic holds up.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Hopefully, Disney can make a deal with Fox that is satisfactory to both parties. I'd love to see the OOT on blu-ray.

Heroic Warrior
    Yea the original non-CGI versions have been out on DVD for a few years, as posted. So I don't know why people are saying that the LDs are the best way. That was true up until 2006. non anamorphic DVDs still trump the laserdiscs.

Here's another article on the blu ray releases: http://dorksideoftheforce.com/2014/0...lu-ray-rumors/

That being said, while I loath some of the changes made, I do think some of them were for the better.

The Wampa scenes in ESB, changing to imperial text in ROTJ (as opposed to English), some effects clean ups and updates, among other thing.

Wish we would get a "perfect" release.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Can't imagine why THAT would be a roadblock. Fox likes money too... The only thing stopping them from money on the original cut was Lucas... if They CAN release it now... I see no reason they WOULDN'T....

Honestly, There were some things I really liked. As a rule I have NO problem with them cleaning up the special effects. I remember the VHS set before '97 where they went through and remastered and fixed some of the overlap in the snowspeeders... Making the explosions and lightning crisper... that was cool.

Special edition? I liked them opening up cloud city... I liked the extra storm troopers during Han's 'suicide' run... Honestly, I just really liked the special edition of Star Wars and ESB when it came out in theaters. RotJ was weaksauce... but it was awesome as....

Everything I've heard about SINCE then?? replacing yodas, switching ghost Anakin, blinking ewoks... Garbage all around. If I could get awesome copies of just what I mentioned above... I'd be happy. But there are so many editions now, I'm not sure where to look...

Worst case scenario? I'd rather have a release of the originals then a copy of the latest ones...

Quote Originally Posted by lucas View Post
    Disney just needs to buy Fox. Then they would get X-Men, Fantastic Four, and full Star Wars distribution rights.

(No, I am not expecting Disney to buy Fox.)
    Y'know... words can not express how much I LOVE that idea...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Can't imagine why THAT would be a roadblock. Fox likes money too... The only thing stopping them from money on the original cut was Lucas... if They CAN release it now... I see no reason they WOULDN'T....

Honestly, There were some things I really liked. As a rule I have NO problem with them cleaning up the special effects. I remember the VHS set before '97 where they went through and remastered and fixed some of the overlap in the snowspeeders... Making the explosions and lightning crisper... that was cool.

Special edition? I liked them opening up cloud city... I liked the extra storm troopers during Han's 'suicide' run... Honestly, I just really liked the special edition of Star Wars and ESB when it came out in theaters. RotJ was weaksauce... but it was awesome as....

Everything I've heard about SINCE then?? replacing yodas, switching ghost Anakin, blinking ewoks... Garbage all around. If I could get awesome copies of just what I mentioned above... I'd be happy. But there are so many editions now, I'm not sure where to look...
    Don't forget dubbing Boba Fett, making Vader say "noooooooooo", Han doesn't shoot first, to name some things.

Even little things like in ESB when R2 is spit out originally Luke goes "you're lucky you don't taste so good" why the hell was that changed to "you're lucky you got out"

Many clean ups, corrections, and extras I actually like better. But so many changes were just unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    The THX editions. Those were the best. Just basic clean-up like removing the matting boxes around Tie Fighters.