Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Star Trek Discovery

  1. #1
    Grammer Flunky
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    wyckoff, nj
    Posts
    5,155

    Star Trek Discovery

    I am sure there isa thread, but my crappy search skills can't find it.

    Jasson issaic (whoever he is) is being an ass to star trek fans and making a deal of it on twitter..

    https://twitter.com/jasonsfolly/stat...83630025211904

    Hope this dumpster fire gets canned episode 3.

  2. #2
    No more OT Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,241
    Jason Isaacs played the main villain in The Patriot and was Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films. He's a pretty recognizable actor.

    I can barely make sense from the link you posted. My guess (using my deductive reasoning skills) is that Trekky fans began letting him/everyone know what was wrong with the show or why it won't be as good as something they like better and all heck broke loose?

  3. #3
    Grammer Flunky
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    wyckoff, nj
    Posts
    5,155
    as far as I can decipher back, it all seemed to start from this.

    http://epicstream.com/news/New-Star-...Hard-Trek-Fans

    apparently actors firing back at people isn't uncommon these days.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,803
    Looking at both these links, I am a little surprised. I am fine with them changing stuff and reinventing the franchise, but to say you don't care about the fans because you know they'll watch anyway is just so arrogant and unnecessary. I would expect a little more from any actor, but whatever...

    Another thing that worries me a little is that he says they are keeping continuity with uniforms and badges, but are reinventing storytelling. Uniforms and badges are superficial. I don't care about uniforms and badges. It's the basic concept that's important. At the end of the day it either is or isn't Star Trek. And if it isn't, then why are you even doing it? Do your own scifi show.

    Who knows, maybe the Orville will be the real new Star Trek show...

  5. #5
    Grammer Flunky
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    wyckoff, nj
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Who knows, maybe the Orville will be the real new Star Trek show...
    More hopefull for Orville.

    I think Star Trek is a lost cause at this point. especially with that idiot moonves telling people to 'sex it up'...ugh.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Another thing that worries me a little is that he says they are keeping continuity with uniforms and badges, but are reinventing storytelling. Uniforms and badges are superficial. I don't care about uniforms and badges. It's the basic concept that's important. At the end of the day it either is or isn't Star Trek. And if it isn't, then why are you even doing it? Do your own scifi show.

    Who knows, maybe the Orville will be the real new Star Trek show...
    And frankly that's where the issues lie. What is 'REAL' star trek? Who decides that and what standards do you use? For everyone it's completely different. I've had issues with just about every 'new' version that ever happened.

    Star Trek: The original and gold standard.

    Star Trek TNG: No kirk? No Spock??? They have the nerve to call this Star Trek!?! (years later I completely changed my tune and love this series.

    ST DS9: Ohhh so instead of a show about Space discovery and boldly going where no one has gone before... they'll sit on a space station and let adventure come to them. Crap! In later years I like this better, but still no TNG.

    ST: Voyager Ohhh... so no Starfleet... and No ENTERPRISE!?!?! In hindsight this was pretty close to a 'real Star Trek' show... but it still never hooked me. I think the doctor was the only one I ever really liked there.

    ST Enterprise:.... Prequels are lame when they just cover the same ground... however Scott Bakula is awesome so I was pretty responsive to this one. However sexying up the Vulcans seemed the height of stupidity.

    New Trek?? I loved the new movies and thought they captured a LOT of what the original series had going for it. Action! Adventure! Kirk was the cowboy captain giving aliens the double axehandle on nearly every planet he landed on... It got a bit redundant as it went on, but for a reboot I liked it a lot...

    So really,,, what does Discovery have to have/do to be a REAL Star Trek show. Each spin off has had it's own unique feel and universe to it. My biggest problems with it without seeing it... is 1) It's another prequel, and I'm not sure what universe it's actually connected to.... and 2) It's on that crappy CBS access that's a pay program for something I really don't want to pay for.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    And frankly that's where the issues lie. What is 'REAL' star trek? Who decides that and what standards do you use? For everyone it's completely different. I've had issues with just about every 'new' version that ever happened.
    Well, you could look for stuff that remained constant throughout time – Star Trek depicts a very optimistic image of the future. It's a future in which humanity has lived for centuries without war, poverty, inequality, discrimination. They don't use money any more, people are free to pursue their interests and spend time on personal development and higher goals instead of having jobs. They have a unifying philosophy (Prime Directive). Any conflict Star Trek had was external. The Federation worlds are always working together and in peace amongst themselves, and so are Starfleet officers. That's what makes Star Trek, and what any fan, regardless of what their favorite show is remembers about Star Trek. For the vast majority, that is the real Star Trek.

    I still hope the new show will preserve this. Because this is what is unique about Star Trek. Some comments behind those links are about the disillusionment with today's world, and I really hope this doesn't translate into a "dark and gritty" Star Trek. There's plenty of dark and gritty scifi shows.

  8. #8
    Grammer Flunky
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    wyckoff, nj
    Posts
    5,155
    revisited ds9 and voyager recently.

    Ds9 was good start to finish (minus boring bajorans). Voyager was iffy. better when it wasn't the seven of nine show saving the crew every week. but i guess that's what happens when the actress starts banging the producer and writer of the series as soon as she comes on board :/..


    but there was a CONSTANT look and feel to star trek for almost 30 years. change that, and change the submarine adventure style of hope, and it no longer becomes star trek. might as well be star wars or galaxy quest.


    I mean, the klingons have a 'sarcofagoues' (sp) ship. that's a drastic change from how they where before. they treat the dead like an empty vessel. after they rob the body of valuables, that's it. they give it no further thought. their whole culture seems changed, along with their look.

    and that's change just for change. ugh. worst offense.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    3,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Well, you could look for stuff that remained constant throughout time – Star Trek depicts a very optimistic image of the future. It's a future in which humanity has lived for centuries without war, poverty, inequality, discrimination. They don't use money any more, people are free to pursue their interests and spend time on personal development and higher goals instead of having jobs. They have a unifying philosophy (Prime Directive). Any conflict Star Trek had was external. The Federation worlds are always working together and in peace amongst themselves, and so are Starfleet officers. That's what makes Star Trek, and what any fan, regardless of what their favorite show is remembers about Star Trek. For the vast majority, that is the real Star Trek.

    I still hope the new show will preserve this. Because this is what is unique about Star Trek. Some comments behind those links are about the disillusionment with today's world, and I really hope this doesn't translate into a "dark and gritty" Star Trek. There's plenty of dark and gritty scifi shows.

    Honestly I see this a lot... but I don't buy it. Never have. If anything I see it as the opposite. No matter how far humanity may progress, there will always be conflict. Old-school problems may have disappeared, but they were just replaced with new ones. Humanity stopped being racist... unless there were Klingons involved... or Romulans... or Vulcans. Women had places of authority and power, but still wore the miniskirt uniforms and sexual harassment was still 'macho'. Money may be gone, but when dealing with Ferengi they still needed their gold plated McGuffin and really that was for the BEST... You can preach about a perfect utopian world... but those are pretty boring and the average viewer can't identify with humanity that has no flaws.

    There was always a structure in place where important people were ranked higher than lesser ones, (and heaven forbid if anyone EVER gets between Kirk and sitting in that big chair...) It may not be money based, but the captain is still the captain and Chief Medical officer is still the chief and if they give you an order you do it or you're in the brig.

    There was always a lot of talk about how far society has come and how peaceful they became.... and Spock would be in the background raising an ironic eyebrow at the immature race of emotional beings who were getting into fights everywhere they went.

    Which is a major core of Star Trek. ACTION!! ADVENTURE!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    revisited ds9 and voyager recently.

    Ds9 was good start to finish (minus boring bajorans). Voyager was iffy. better when it wasn't the seven of nine show saving the crew every week. but i guess that's what happens when the actress starts banging the producer and writer of the series as soon as she comes on board :/...
    I remember that it seems that even on ST shows I disliked, there was always two or maybe 3 characters that I really loved. 7 of 9 was cool in the beginning, The holo doctor was awesome. I loved Odo and Worf on DS9 along with doc bashir I think?



    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    but there was a CONSTANT look and feel to star trek for almost 30 years. change that, and change the submarine adventure style of hope, and it no longer becomes star trek. might as well be star wars or galaxy quest.
    I remember when Seaquest first aired and it just felt like Star Trek under water... Even the ship looked a little to 'enterprise' to me.... then they made voyager and it looked even more like Seaquest. Which I think is part of the problem. For the longest time, Star Trek was the only game in town. then there were a thousand copycats like Babylon five, battlestar galactica, farscape...
    Last edited by phantom1592; September 14, 2017 at 08:37pm.

  10. #10
    Grammer Flunky
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    wyckoff, nj
    Posts
    5,155
    review embargo in place. uh oh

    - - - Updated - - -

    this sounds terrible.

    ---edit---video probably more for tar swamp i guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •