Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Amiibo figurines: Is anyone collecting them?

Nintendo Amiibo figurines: Is anyone collecting them?

I've picked up some of the Nintendo Amiibos.
    I actually reviewed the Mario one a few weeks ago

So far I have:

Mario
    Donkey Kong
    Fox
    Samus Aran
    Little Mac

They're great collectibles though even
    if you don't have a Wii U, and love Nintendo characters.

Thankfully, as scarce as some characters are (Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager) They're nowhere near as
    bad as action figure lines have been. I don't know what the actual case ratios are, but the fact there aren't
    a lot of pegwarmer characters aside from Princess Toadstool seems to be a good sign. And even she isn't
    Smash Blade levels of overdone. She does sell, just slowly. I don't think I'll be a completionist with this one
    But I do think I'll periodically get the characters I really like. I hope if, and when a Mr. Game & Watch shows up
    it isn't an exclusive to a retailer, or crazy hard to find, as he's my main in Smash.

Anyway, does anybody have any thoughts on this line?
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Alot of retailers are not getting g them in.
    Nintendo is so short on them...
    Have employees from gamestop coming in to buy them from my store.
    Diddy Kong
    Pit
    Captain Falcon..
    A store is lucky to get 3 of those.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I don't have a WiiU so the DLC part of them is totally useless to me and while some of them look neat, the $13 and up price tag has kept me from getting any so far because it's $13 for a small figurine without any ability to use the game feature. I might get Megaman though, if they're not super hard to find.

Heroic Warrior
    I have 8 right now (Mario, Peach, Kirby, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Link, and Zelda) with 3 more on the way in the next day or two (Samus, Diddy Kong and Luigi), plus 3 on preorder for the February release (Toon Link, Sheik and Bowser). I'm hoping to get Fox and preorder King Dedede and Meta-Knight, as well as getting Target's exclusive Rosalina. They're pretty cool little figures and I like the fact they can be used with more than just one game. Curious to see how they'll interact with Mario Party 10 and the Kirby & Yoshi games.
    Last edited by mjharwood; December 30, 2014 at 11:34am.

My Mario is level 50, and DK is 40. I can't beat them anymore
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

There were a lot of character design flaws on some of the earlier releases (Samus with a cannon on each arm, the princess with no legs), and some of those are highly sought after by collectors. The prices for some of those on ebay are ridiculous!
    My post count just got bigger.

I am huge Skylander Fan but i have been giving Disney infinity a chance recently . I dunno if i will ever buy amiibo .

I think Princess Peach looks kinda cute .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

I received a Samus with the rest of my Christmas gifts (a Wii-u, and smash bros). Finally.

I think the price is ridiculous. I believe that for that price, you should be able to use them in co-op events and such. They serve little purpose, although I would have tried to track down a Samus eventually anyway just because I love Metroid. My amiibo is a dark Samus in the game. I may customize the toy with a new paint job, and buy another to have a regular Samus. Since all of the color pallets in smash are based on actual suits, I wouldn't mind having a collection of all the different colors. And of course I plan on buying Zero suit Samus if she is ever released.

PS Peach is an awesome fighter.

I haven't bought any yet but I plan on picking them up eventually.

I'm still trying to finish off the Disney and Marvel figures.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I have a Wii U, but I have picked up a few of these more for their collectibility rather than their game-use...

I have Mario, Yoshi, and Kirby. These three have awesome sculpts! I may get Peach and Pikachu as well...

And I most certainly will get Lil' Mac, Sonic, Mega Man, and Toon Link when they come out!

For some reason, I thought the detail would be a little better on most, but when I saw them in person I was a bit disappointed. And some of the positions are a little strange as well, like Luigi and Samus... to me they seem a little dull.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    For some reason, I thought the detail would be a little better on most, but when I saw them in person I was a bit disappointed. And some of the positions are a little strange as well, like Luigi and Samus... to me they seem a little dull.
    The details and paints on the prototypes they showed us were quite good. The final product ended up being of a much lower quality, almost a "fast food premium" level of molded detail and paints. Although I have seen a few happy meal toys which might qualify as being better than there, and the recent MLP promo was on par, which is why I think they're overpriced if you get no game use out of them. They're not very good as being desk ornaments, considering the cost.

I have Link because I collect Link figures/statues. I am considering getting Zelda because I have a few of her as well, and Samus, because Samus is awesome!
    Follow my exploits in writing!
    writermyke.wordpress.com
    facebook.com/writermyke

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    The details and paints on the prototypes they showed us were quite good. The final product ended up being of a much lower quality, almost a "fast food premium" level of molded detail and paints. Although I have seen a few happy meal toys which might qualify as being better than there, and the recent MLP promo was on par, which is why I think they're overpriced if you get no game use out of them. They're not very good as being desk ornaments, considering the cost.

I'm sorry but hyperbole much? Yes the prototypes were nicer, but these are still way better than Happy Meal toys. I was gifted a Diddy Kong, and Captain Falcon yesterday, and just like the Mario
    , Fox, Samus, and Donkey Kong, these have great sculpts. The paint apps are pretty good too. Better than some of the action figures coming out these days. I'm not saying they don't
    have flaws, (rarity of some characters that shouldn't be rare) but let's give credit where it's due.

I will grant you that $8 would be a nicer price point, but considering the cost of Skylanders, and Infinity being $18, and $15 in most stores, $13 is still undercutting them.
    Plus you aren't tied to ONE game if you do happen to have a Wii U. That said I think most would agree Nintendo could still make money in volume if they sold them for
    less than ten dollars. Of course that also means the scalpers would hoard even more Little Macs, and Marths.
    The Deviot

-?

Oh wow

How did you guys grab those figures after few retailers recall a lot of those figures?
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Oh wow

How did you guys grab those figures after few retailers recall a lot of those figures?
    It's not that they were recalled, it's Nintendo simply didn't make enough of each character to meet
    demand. A lot of stores discontinued Wii Fit Trainer, Marth, Villager etc. when their warehouses ran out,
    and Nintendo couldn't resupply them. Some of us lucked out by being in the right place at the right time.
    I found my Little Mac at TRU before he was supposed to be out because the store broke street date to fill the shelves.
    I lucked out because he was sitting in an action figure aisle where I assume someone changed their mind, and left it there.
    So I bought it. I'm sure others have similar stories when it comes to the harder to find characters.

Other characters are still no problem to find. Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu, Link, and Zelda are very common. Samus, and Fox
    seem to be less common now, but you can still get them at retail if you're willing to hunt.

Thing is unlike other toys there isn't public info on case ratios, or assortments or production numbers. So you don't know which toys are
    going to be rare until they stop appearing on peghooks. I found ONE Luigi in Gamestop today, but other people have said he's as common as Mario.
    Still, if you like a character, and see it, buy it. You never know. It could also turn out that a character in one part of the country is insanely rare, but in another part, is as
    common as bottled water. You just don't know.

There was a recent interview with Reggie Fils-Aime said they're looking into the supply problem. So hopefully, that means less super rare characters.

Some dedicated fans did try to research availability though, and have a webtool up http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/games/amiibo/
    The Deviot

-?

The case ratio is not like other lines.
    Stores are lucky to get 3 of the rare figures each. Perhaps bigger box stores may get 12.
    Even some big box retailers are not getting any at all.
    Their are gamestop stores that get 0 even with pre-orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    The case ratio is not like other lines.
    Stores are lucky to get 3 of the rare figures each. Perhaps bigger box stores may get 12.
    Even some big box retailers are not getting any at all.
    Their are gamestop stores that get 0 even with pre-orders.
    Since your store apparently gets them, how are they sent in? Mixed cases (ie: 10 toys per case 5 Luigi, 1 Little Mac, 1 Falcon, 1 Diddy, 2 Zelda)?
    Character cases (ie: entire case of Mario, entire case of Link), and stores just get more cases of commons than rare?
    Or do warehouses just break them up into totes, and you get whatever they happen to send based on store transaction records/product availability?

Just curious.
    The Deviot

-?

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I don't even have a Wii U yet but I've started collecting these now since I plan to get one eventually. So better to get them now before they vanish. I am kicking myself for not grabbing Marth and Wii Fit trainer when I had the chance. I figured the trainer at least would be a peg warmer (I want her but I figured not many others would) so I figured I'd get them later once I had the system. It never occurred to me they'd be short packed and discontinued.

Once I learned about that I resolved to get them ahead of time but even then with wave two I grabbed Zelda first and now can't find Little Mac or Captain Falcon anywhere. Diddy Kong vanished for a while but since reappeared at Target. Pit -a top want for me- I've never seen in stock anywhere.

So far I have:

Zelda
    Luigi
    Donkey Kong
    Yoshi
    Diddy Kong
    Samus
    Fox

Toys R Us has them on sale this week: buy one get one 40% off so I'm gonna pick up at least two more tomorrow.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Well its strange...
    I've gotten them direct from vendor and from our Distribution Center. From the DC they just come however. I am only replenished on the main stays Mario, Link, Samus, Zelda...
    For Little Mac, Pit, Diddy Kong they came 3 in a box of 4. Each came with a zelda. Zelda came 12 to one main box.
    The first wave was the same. You'd have a main case and then you get a small box with a filler and 3 of a rare.
    I've never seen them ship anything in this manner but...they are.

Also the "street date" is all over the place for these. They are not released on time. Sometimes earlier. It's such a pain that when we get them in I just set them out.

Ike, I'm pretty sure, is gonna be a rare one.

BTW. Nintendo will not be re-releasing the figures. But is doing some kind of character cards...I guess like the Infinity power disc's to supplement hard to get figures. At least that's what I heard...
    Last edited by Stratos*Major; January 1, 2015 at 10:10pm.

I can sort of understand the price as they're used for in-game unlockables and such. They could do like most companies and charge you the same prices for junk DLC that gives you nothing physical, like horse armor or hats(wasn't horse armor $10? And I never use horses in Oblivion anyway). The figurine is kind of a bonus. On the other hand, for those of us without the games or systems they lose that factor and are figurines. Clarify this for me though- do these use some onboard PCB chip, or is it just a printed scan code? That alone might factor in to making it worth it because if it's a scan code it still seems a bit overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I can sort of understand the price as they're used for in-game unlockables and such. They could do like most companies and charge you the same prices for junk DLC that gives you nothing physical, like horse armor or hats(wasn't horse armor $10? And I never use horses in Oblivion anyway). The figurine is kind of a bonus. On the other hand, for those of us without the games or systems they lose that factor and are figurines. Clarify this for me though- do these use some onboard PCB chip, or is it just a printed scan code? That alone might factor in to making it worth it because if it's a scan code it still seems a bit overpriced.
    It uses a Near Frequency Chipset to communicate with the Wii U gamepad, and has Flash memory (Think like a usb flash drive) to store game data in it's stand.
    The Deviot

-?

scan through an onboard chip.

You can see it here, on Metro.

Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

That's probably around $3-$4 of the price right there, even if the flash memory is probably very tiny.

I've got Samus, so far, but I'm not really impressed with what they do, yet. I doubt i'll use the functionality with Smash Bros, very much. I touched it to Hyrule Warriors and it gave a little "DING!" and a message that said I got ONE RUPEE. Wow man, thanks.

Still, I'll be getting Mega Man and Meta Knight when they come out, because they're childhood favorites and the little statues look cool. Plus: I'm kinda hoping Nintendo will think of better things to do with these, at some point.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I buy them cause they look cool, I have Fox, Link and Marth so far. Figure I will eventually use them game wise but right now its just neat to have Nintendo figures.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback