Thread: Video Conversion Question

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Video Conversion Question

Hey all,

I've got home movies someone sent me on a DVD, and I would love to be able to edit them save a version of what I'd like.

The thing is, when I insert the DVD, it's not just one handy-dandy video file I can open with Windows Movie Maker and edit. It's split up into various "IFO", "BUP", and "VOB" files; and the VOB files are the only actual video-looking files.

When I choose to open the VOB files with Windows Movie Maker, it will open them, but only between 40 seconds to 1:30 or so each---and these are files that are like 75 minutes each.

Does anyone have any advice on how to take a "homemade" DVD and get it where I can access the entire video files, and edit them? Then I can upload them to YouTube and share with other family.

Maybe even converting the files to a different file type if I need to, if I can. I just don't understand some technology; why can't a homemade DVD just show once nice convenient video file that's editable when you pop it into a PC? lol

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; June 19, 2018 at 10:42am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

To me converting videos would sound complicated, Mer-Man's Minion.
    You know why? Because I am no expert in this!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    Hi Mer-Man's Minion, you could try the following:

1. Download and install two programs - MakeMKV - https://www.makemkv.com/, and Handbrake - https://handbrake.fr/

2. Run MakeMKV to extract the DVD video and audio files as a single "MKV" file. This is essentially an uncompressed video file that can be opened in programs such as VLC.
    3. Run Handbrake and then crunch the MKV file into something like MP4. You should then be able to edit / upload it.
    4. If you need options to cut out sections of the MP4, you could try a program like OpenShot (but note I have not used OpenShot myself).

All the programs I've mentioned are legal freeware.

All the best!

Thank you Iluvart, I appreciate the feedback

I tried one way last night I found while Googling around for help, but it didn't work (it seemed way too easy and simple to work, and unfortunately that was the case, lol).

Thank you also for your step-by-step advice; since I don't have experience in ripping/editing "foreign" DVD files with software out there, I really appreciate it!
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Thank you Iluvart, I appreciate the feedback

I tried one way last night I found while Googling around for help, but it didn't work (it seemed way too easy and simple to work, and unfortunately that was the case, lol).

Thank you also for your step-by-step advice; since I don't have experience in ripping/editing "foreign" DVD files with software out there, I really appreciate it!
    It's not a problem, you're welcome!

I forgot to add that if you are using MakeMKV to extract the video and audio from a disc, typically it will present to you a breakdown of all the available audio (i.e. languages) as well as subtitles.

However, it may not always be clear what's what.

For example, a disc may typically have English, but also English for Hard of Hearing, and/or English Commentary.

In MakeMKV, these three options are usually all presented as "English Surround Sound", "English True Surround Sound", etc. Yet this is not clear which track is the one you want. So unfortunately there would be some annoying trial and error involved (from what I could see so far, there is no sure way to discern which track is what).

The same goes with subtitles, it may present "English" for subtitles, and also "English" (via another checkbox) as "Descriptive English".

You would just need to tick the checkboxes that you think will give you what you want, and see how it goes.

Once you have the MKV file though, it's fairly quick to compress it via Handbrake (which, to add subtitles, just go to the Subtitles tab, and click "Add New Track").

For more info, you could have a look at these articles:

http://www.techfleece.com/2012/03/05...using-makemkv/
    https://www.engagemedia.org/help/vid...brake-tutorial

Thank you so much again Iluvart!

I did manage to convert 1 of the home movie files on the disc into an editable/uploadable file, and I didn't even have to bother with any language/audio stuff. :-)

The other file though somehow unfortunately got corrupted, and so it would not convert that one; my burner wouldn't even burn another copy of it to try; it can't complete the process because of the corruption. When playing the disc in a DVD player, it gets stuck at a certain part and skips ahead some very slowly while still sticking at other places along the way, until it gets past the "bad part", and then it plays "normal" again. It's a shame this file couldn't just convert it even keeping the sticking parts in that one section, but oh well. I just recorded what I wanted from it using my digital camera's video recorder while playing it on my PC, and grabbed what I wanted from that file that way, lol.

But yes the other file was a breeze! Thank you so much for introducing me to these tools!