Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not-so-super-bowl

Master of New Adventures!

Not-so-super-bowl

Is it just me or was this Super Bowl ho-hum?

I'm happy for Peyton Manning, who's come a long way since Kim and my Nebraska Cornhuskers beat up on him in the Orange Bowl a thousand years ago when he QBed for the Tennessee Volunteers. And it's a fabulous way to finish a pretty amazing career, coming back from a devastating neck injury, playing back-up QB and ending up the only player to ever QB to a Super Bowl win with two different franchises.

But it wasn't Manning's game. It was the D's. Kudos to them, but a defensive game is never quite as exciting as a powerful, high-scoring offensive one imo.

Still, that wasn't the worst part. What was up with the commercials? I know I've always looked forward to the Super Bowl commercials and in years past and I think a lot of others have as well. For many the Super Bowl commercials have taken on a whimsical pop culture highly-anticipated appeal of their own, kind of like the SNL opening monologues. But Willem Dafoe in drag? Bears chasing a car and then coquettishly chatting about one being vegan but enjoying a cheat day? Note to copywriters: No one says 'cheat day' anymore. Or how about Jeff Goldbloom putting everyone to sleep as he plays the theme music to a television series that was popular before most in the coveted 18-to-35 weren't even born and ultimately making us feel sorry for him because he didn't have the good sense to pack it in after The Fly? And a bunch of other forgettable $5 million thirty-second yawners? You get one chance to pull young viewers away from Netflix and Hulu and this is all you've got?! This is your best?!

What ever happened to the creative advertising geniuses that spawned concepts like the Miller Lite catfight -- Google 'Miller Lite catfight' to see what I mean because I'm worried if I post a link here I could get nailed with a violation from the mods -- or the gal catching the Doritos chip hurled through the air with her teeth? Or Paris Hilton washing a car and slowly eating a Carl's. Jr. burger? And just to show I don't have a one-track mind, how about that incredible Macintosh commercial parodying 1984 waaaaay back in 1984?

I guess there's not much talent left in advertising, with the best probably having migrated to tech start-ups in the Silcon Valley eons ago.

And so, the College/NFL football season goes out with a whimper rather than a bang. Even Peyton said in the post-game interview that he was "going to drink a lot of Bud Lite tonight." Miller Lite, Peyton. Miller Lite! That way at least you'd have a shot at getting into the middle of a catfight.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 8, 2016 at 12:31am.

I may be biased, but I loved the game.

I was worried leading up to the game. I mean, Carolina's offense could hardly be stopped all year. Sure, the Broncos defense was #1, but it's hard to stop a monster.

Looking back, the Broncos defense had to play perfectly, and they pretty much did. It showed. Cam Newton being held without a touchdown for the only time all year?

I think it won't be long until the Panthers get back to (and probably win) the Super Bowl. They're young and came in cocky. They'll mature into a powerhouse as long as they stay away from injuries, and don't have many personnel changes.

Let's be honest, dorrmann. The commercials could have all been for Alpo, Geritol and Meow Mix, the commentators, the refs, the teams on both sides and everyone in the stands could have lapsed into comas for the entire game and if Denver's kicker woke up with three seconds left to play and managed to chip a field goal for the win you'd be just as excited about the game.

I was pulling for you all night. I'm happy for you, buddy. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I may be biased, but I loved the game.

I was worried leading up to the game. I mean, Carolina's offense could hardly be stopped all year. Sure, the Broncos defense was #1, but it's hard to stop a monster.

Looking back, the Broncos defense had to play perfectly, and they pretty much did. It showed. Cam Newton being held without a touchdown for the only time all year?

I think it won't be long until the Panthers get back to (and probably win) the Super Bowl. They're young and came in cocky. They'll mature into a powerhouse as long as they stay away from injuries, and don't have many personnel changes.

Unless you are a fan of one of the teams playing, the Super Bowl is all about the pre-game hype and commercials. The game itself, more often than not, is a let down and the half time shows are hit and miss.

I'll respectfully disagree, KC. At least for me, even if I don't have a horse in the race as long as it's a great -- or at least good -- game I enjoy the pureness of the sport of football. Now it's true I have a place in my heart for Peyton because I live in Indiana and he's still an icon here, and also -- conversely -- because my seven-year old loves Carolina. But even if I'm watching a game in which I have no attraction to either team, I just almost always enjoy the sport and the spectacle and the athleticism of it. It's why I can watch college football all day and night on any given Saturday regardless of who's playing and although I'm not huge pro football fan I did enjoy the playoff season and I thought there were some great games there aside from my Chiefs and I enjoyed them even if I didn't have a team to pull for. They were exciting, in marked contrast, imo, to tonight's yawner.

I was disappointed by the lack of excitement in the game, the lack of big plays, the lack of huge returns or spectacular passes or catches or juking broken field runs. Granted the Denver defense was excellent, but it's just not for me. Give me heavy action and a gunfight at the OK Corral. I think an understandably downbeat Cam Newton said it best: "There wasn't nothing special that they did. We dropped balls. We turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than we did."

I do confess, however, that I've always enjoyed the Super Bowl commercials...at least until this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Unless you are a fan of one of the teams playing, the Super Bowl is all about the pre-game hype and commercials. The game itself, more often than not, is a let down and the half time shows are hit and miss.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 8, 2016 at 02:38am.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    I am a lifelong Broncos fan, so I too am quite biased, and this was one of the best games I've ever seen my team play! Sure, the offense was definitely sub-par, but the way the Denver defense shut down and absolutely dismantled Carolina's game plan was incredible to witness. Wade Phillips put together one of - if not the best defenses in Super Bowl history... and Mighty Miller, without a doubt, deserved the MVP.

To hold the number one offense, and their season MVP QB, to 10 points is almost unheard of. I have no doubt that Cam Newton will return to the big stage some day, but right now this has become a picture book ending for Peyton Manning - a quarterback who took us to the Super Bowl 2 yrs ago with his devastating offense, yet this time he had the help of the league's number one defense to see him through... ah! That was awesome!

As for the commercials, and especially the lousy half time show, I completely agree. They were all quite forgettable, and in some cases, very creepy.

Congratulations to the Denver Broncos! A hard-won victory after a grinding season has made you the World Champions!!!!
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'll respectfully disagree, KC. At least for me, even if I don't have a horse in the race as long as it's a great -- or at least good -- game I enjoy the pureness of the sport of football. Now it's true I have a place in my heart for Peyton because I live in Indiana and he's still an icon here, and also -- conversely -- because my seven-year old loves Carolina. But even if I'm watching a game in which I have no attraction to either team, I just almost always enjoy the sport and the spectacle and the athleticism of it. It's why I can watch college football all day and night on any given Saturday regardless of who's playing and although I'm not huge pro football fan I did enjoy the playoff season and I thought there were some great games there aside from my Chiefs and I enjoyed them even if I didn't have a team to pull for. They were exciting, in marked contrast, imo, to tonight's yawner.

I was disappointed by the lack of excitement in the game, the lack of big plays, the lack of huge returns or spectacular passes or catches or juking broken field runs. Granted the Denver defense was excellent, but it's just not for me. Give me heavy action and a gunfight at the OK Corral. I think an understandably downbeat Cam Newton said it best: "There wasn't nothing special that they did. We dropped balls. We turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than we did."

I do confess, however, that I've always enjoyed the Super Bowl commercials...at least until this year.
    I do like a good football game but I find the game rarely lives up to the hype. Usually it is a one sided blow-out where the game is pretty much over in the third quarter. Maybe if there was only a week in between the conference finals and the Super Bowl it wouldn't be so bad for me. After 2 weeks of utter nonsense stories it's like just play the friggin' game already. I am not sure when the transformation took place, but it just seems to be about everything but the game now. The game has become a sideshow to everything else. And then when the game is a snoozer (like last night), we are left with a feeling of "that's it? That's how the season ends?".

Another of the drawbacks is that up here in Canada we have to watch the commercials the next day or hopefully someone loads them on the internet and we can see them that way. All the best ones do not get broadcast...for some reason...on our stations. Even if we are tuned into a US channel we still do not get them. That is suppose to change for next year so maybe that will help pique my interest. Probley not. The only thing that would make me be interested would be for the Bears to be there...and for that they will need a new quarterback.

Absolutely agree about congrats to a brilliant defensive display by the Broncos. They deserve all the accolades.

It's really just a subjective thing on my part. For me, I like to see lots points being scored. Probably comes from my days as a bachelor.

Either way, our entire family now goes into a six-month dormancy/mourning period until college football kicks off in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I am a lifelong Broncos fan, so I too am quite biased, and this was one of the best games I've ever seen my team play! Sure, the offense was definitely sub-par, but the way the Denver defense shut down and absolutely dismantled Carolina's game plan was incredible to witness. Wade Phillips put together one of - if not the best defenses in Super Bowl history... and Mighty Miller, without a doubt, deserved the MVP.

To hold the number one offense, and their season MVP QB, to 10 points is almost unheard of. I have no doubt that Cam Newton will return to the big stage some day, but right now this has become a picture book ending for Peyton Manning - a quarterback who took us to the Super Bowl 2 yrs ago with his devastating offense, yet this time he had the help of the league's number one defense to see him through... ah! That was awesome!

As for the commercials, and especially the lousy half time show, I completely agree. They were all quite forgettable, and in some cases, very creepy.

Congratulations to the Denver Broncos! A hard-won victory after a grinding season has made you the World Champions!!!!

I'm a Cowboys fan through thick and thin, but I was rooting for D-Ware, Wade Phillips, and Special Teams Coach Joe DeCamillis who were all formerly associated with Dallas. All three are class acts, so I was quite happy to see them finally reach the pinnacle of success .

Eli didn't look too thrilled, though . I'm sure he really is happy for Peyton, but that camera shot when everyone else in the Manning family is celebrating......

I picked up on that with Eli, too, Shecky. I could be wrong but I've got a hunch there's a bit of sibling rivalry between the brothers and now that they each have two Super Bowl rings it means Eli is charged with a mission to go out and get Number Three so he can pull ahead of Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    I'm a Cowboys fan through thick and thin, but I was rooting for D-Ware, Wade Phillips, and Special Teams Coach Joe DeCamillis who were all formerly associated with Dallas. All three are class acts, so I was quite happy to see them finally reach the pinnacle of success .

Eli didn't look too thrilled, though . I'm sure he really is happy for Peyton, but that camera shot when everyone else in the Manning family is celebrating......

Considering the Giants are in the NFC East with Dallas, I sure hope not .

Even then, Eli has nothing to worry about, really . He's undefeated in Super Bowls whereas Peyton lost 2, made two insane throws that arguably won the championship on both occasions (to David Tyree in SB 42 and the other to someone whose name escapes me at the moment in SB 46).

Please...don't get me started on the Giants. One of my great joys this season was how many games they lost/blew in the closing minutes.

Heroic Warrior

I thought.....

did you care about the Super Bowl?

The Official 2013 - 2014 College Football Thread
    Okay, so the Stupor Bowl is over and who won? The Peacocks? The Raccoons? The Hedgehogs?

Who cares? These guys couldn't even keep the lights on for the whole game!

So let's get back to what's really important -- college football! And what better time to have our annal kick off (get it?) than on National Signing Day?

For this Nebraska fan, only one guy matters: Johnny Stanton. To see the long version of why, check out this article. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...or-cornhuskers

The short story is we've only got one more year of Taylor Martinez and depening on one's point of view that's either a good thing or a badthing. One thing there's no argument about is that getting a 6'2", 225 lbs. quarterback with HS stats that'll wow just about anyone and who's ready to step into Martinez' shoes is a pretty good thing.

Another thing that's for sure is that this is going to be one heckuva interesting season. Can Notre Dame put together another seson like they had last year...especially when so many of their wins could have gone either way? Is Penn State going to fight their way back? And just who is this Urban Meyer guy and why am I supposed to be worried about him?

Seriously, I think it's going to be a great season, filled with drama, intrigue and hopefully no more players having texting hook-ups with girlfriends who turn out to be guy-fans : http://www.eurweb.com/2013/02/mantis...love-with-him/

Let the madness begin!!!

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post

I'm with you Shecky and since I am a Browns fan as well as well as a Cowboys fan it was cool to see TJ Ward get a ring as well..And the Ant Man/Hulk commercial was pretty good...

Well said, midor. Kim and I live for college football. No question but that we're true to our Huskers, as the song says, "through all kinds of weather..." But we're happy with any college game. Blessed am I to have a wife who loves college football and thanks to her I'm a Nebraska convert, with all the joy, heartbreak and loyalty that entails.

On the other hand the Super Bowl is the last real football game -- either college or pro -- for the season, so I indulge in it. Too, I've got a seven-year old that is a rabid fan of any kind of football.

Still, my heart belongs to college football. Thanks for reminding me.

GO BIG RED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    did you care about the Super Bowl?

The Official 2013 - 2014 College Football Thread
    Okay, so the Stupor Bowl is over and who won? The Peacocks? The Raccoons? The Hedgehogs?

Who cares? These guys couldn't even keep the lights on for the whole game!

So let's get back to what's really important -- college football! And what better time to have our annal kick off (get it?) than on National Signing Day?

For this Nebraska fan, only one guy matters: Johnny Stanton. To see the long version of why, check out this article. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...or-cornhuskers

The short story is we've only got one more year of Taylor Martinez and depening on one's point of view that's either a good thing or a badthing. One thing there's no argument about is that getting a 6'2", 225 lbs. quarterback with HS stats that'll wow just about anyone and who's ready to step into Martinez' shoes is a pretty good thing.

Another thing that's for sure is that this is going to be one heckuva interesting season. Can Notre Dame put together another seson like they had last year...especially when so many of their wins could have gone either way? Is Penn State going to fight their way back? And just who is this Urban Meyer guy and why am I supposed to be worried about him?

Seriously, I think it's going to be a great season, filled with drama, intrigue and hopefully no more players having texting hook-ups with girlfriends who turn out to be guy-fans : http://www.eurweb.com/2013/02/mantis...love-with-him/

Let the madness begin!!!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 8, 2016 at 09:39pm.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Well, it was definitely a not-so-Super-Bowl for Cam Newton...

Can the breakdown of the offensive powerhouse known as the Carolina Panthers be blamed solely on Newton? Of course not. But his body language near the end of the game and, more importantly, during the short-lived post game presser left a lot to be desired. Falling down and pouting is not the attitude the league MVP should have taken (no matter what Tom Brady says). Arguing with the linesman and smacking the turf is a less than stellar reaction to a legal sack... and cutting your press conference short and storming out of the room should never be the last thing a QB does in a season as good as his was. It was classless.

I know he is young. I know he just lost the most important game of his career (so far). And, yes, the questions asked during the post-game were suicide-inducing. Still, be that as it may, the Denver Broncos have gone to the big game eight times in fifty years and walked away with just three Lombardi Trophies... so there is something to say about holding your chin up and giving the best possible press conference after a loss - no matter how much it hurts. By doing this, you assure your fans that you will be back. You tell your teammates that you still want to be a part of the team. And you make all of your naysayers think twice. Plus, it shows you still have some class.

---
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I don't believe it was "classless". I believe, given circumstances few took enough time to gather before jumping to conclusions, it was understandable.

In fairness to Cam Newton -- and I was cheering for the Broncos throughout, in large measure because of former Indiana QB Peyton Manning but also because I knew moderator dorrmann would go into an inconsolable depression if the Broncos lost -- it should be noted that the press conference was conducted with just a few suspended blankets dividing the Broncos from the Panthers, who were being interviewed at the same time. During Newton's interview Broncos' Chris Harris was being interviewed on the other side of those blankets. Understandably elated about the victory -- but unaware Newton was on the other side of the blankets -- Harris went on and on in a loud and justifiably celebratory voice about how the Bronco's shut down Cam and the Panthers. This occurred at the precise moment Newton was being interviewed and could be heard by all the reporters.

I get that players are supposed to be tough, but losing the Super Bowl after a stellar season is a bitter pill to swallow to begin with. Hearing it replayed and celebrated -- even if inflicting additional pain and grief was unintentional -- by a member of the opposing team that is talking directly about your own sub-par performance must have made it almost unbearable.

I believe that is the reason Newton left the interview and I can empathize with that. In law this is called "extenuating circumstances", which is defined as "facts surrounding the commission of a crime that work to mitigate or lessen it." It's true Newton committed a 'crime' by walking out, but I do believe the 'extenuating circumstances' mitigated and lessened the severity of it. So let's put ourselves in his place for a moment and afterwards think about maybe cutting him some slack.

It should also be said that Peyton Manning told reporters that Cam Newton congratulated him and wished him the best for the future.

For my part I wish Cam Newton well. I know he'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Well, it was definitely a not-so-Super-Bowl for Cam Newton...

Can the breakdown of the offensive powerhouse known as the Carolina Panthers be blamed solely on Newton? Of course not. But his body language near the end of the game and, more importantly, during the short-lived post game presser left a lot to be desired. Falling down and pouting is not the attitude the league MVP should have taken (no matter what Tom Brady says). Arguing with the linesman and smacking the turf is a less than stellar reaction to a legal sack... and cutting your press conference short and storming out of the room should never be the last thing a QB does in a season as good as his was. It was classless.

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/...ticleLarge.jpg

I know he is young. I know he just lost the most important game of his career (so far). And, yes, the questions asked during the post-game were suicide-inducing. Still, be that as it may, the Denver Broncos have gone to the big game eight times in fifty years and walked away with just three Lombardi Trophies... so there is something to say about holding your chin up and giving the best possible press conference after a loss - no matter how much it hurts. By doing this, you assure your fans that you will be back. You tell your teammates that you still want to be a part of the team. And you make all of your naysayers think twice. Plus, it shows you still have some class.

---
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 9, 2016 at 12:32pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Isn't anyone happy for Peyton Manning? Didn't you want him to win another Super Bowl?

Absolutely! I'm delighted for him. Peyton is a class act and seems to be a team player and great guy. It's a wonderful way for one of football's greatest QBs to end his career. I hope he retires, thus avoiding injury at his advanced -- for the sport -- age, and goes on to become a successful football commentator so we enjoy his company for decades to come. Heaven knows he could get elected to Congress in either Colorado or Indiana, but who needs that?

Quote Originally Posted by teela-n View Post
    Isn't anyone happy for Peyton Manning? Didn't you want him to win another Super Bowl?

Heroic Warrior
    Why wasn't Eli happy for his brother?

Because now they both have the same number of Super Bowl rings and it means he has to go out and bust his butt to get another and one-up his brother.

Heroic Warrior
    I did not know family was so competitive. Isn't family supposed to be one team, one for all and all for one? Isn't Eli's behavior dysfunctional?

Yes, not in this case and not in this case. Not when Archie Manning is your dad and you're competing for his attention growing up.

I usually don't watch the Super Bowl unless I'm going to be at a friend or relative's, and they're going to have it on.

1.) My team usually doesn't make it, and I stop watching once their season is over.

2.) The half time shows usually feel phoned in, or are so bad they're insufferable. I think I've seen a handful of good ones.

But if you found it boring I know one guy will disagree with you. The geriatric man who destroyed his son's $700 HDTV
    when Carolina failed to break Denver's defense in the final 3 minutes, and ultimately lost.

I'd post it, but the language makes it rather NSFW, and child unfriendly.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

The Super Bowl was boring. But the family and I had a blast at Super Bowl city.