Page 42 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 4220

Thread: What's your latest non MOTU toy/item score?

Well he's finally arrived (precisley when he meant to, I guess). A Joe sized Gandalf! Pretty good one too; probably one of the best looking guys in the line. Too bad they couldn't find a way to make his legs useful, but oh well; he's still got a great range in his arms, which is perfect.

Also got Gollum and no-neck Bilbo. Both are cool, but...ugh, I wish someone would speak up against making leg pegs that go up into the body instead of into the side. Gollum is limited in articulation, and honestly that would be fine, if not for his wonky hips. They're the standard vertical pegs, so if you want his legs to go forward, they also have to turn, so he can't really do ANY good crawling poses. You'll have to prop him up on rocks 'n such. He can sits nice, my precious, but otherwise he just looks like he's ready for some mad B-ball.

Broke down and got one of those Star Wars figures with the light up sabers. I'm actually pretty impressed! He's still got cut hips and knee joints, and even his non-glow arm has an elbow joint! I figured he would have been more static. On top of that, his proportions are actually good looking, with only his saber being a big sausage. Dunno why he looks better than the other two; Obi and Qui-Gon look a little wide in the chest, but Vader looks perfect.

Saw this guy for the first time and loved him. I like when they give the cassette tapes some love in more than just tape form. He's bright, fun, easy to transform, and I love how the weapons blend in with his arms. Even the chest sorta has that cassette tape look! Very cool figure.

And uh, finally...I got this out of a quarter machine. Hehe. Ugly little sucker, but I love it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Sif

Hey all!

Last week I scored the rare Sif figure from the Thor 3.75" movie line -- at retail!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Got home and had a surprise waiting for me in the mail. I opened up the box BBTS sent me expecting one thing and got something else. It was MP Sideswipe! My first impression was "Man, the box he comes in is really small!". I was used to the huge boxes of the seekers, Megatron, Optimus Prime and Grimlock. Then my next impression was "He doesn't seem to have much heft to him!" Even though he has some die-cast metal on him, his smaller size doesn't seem to make the die-cast metal seem like it's there. I know that he is in G1 scale with the rest of the MP releases and his smaller size allows him to fit inside Optimus' trailer in vehicle mode but he is really dwarfed by the other Transformers. Not that I don't like him. In fact I think he's great! Sideswipe was my second favorite Autobot car after Mirage (even though I never owned either as a kid). He is a welcome addition to my MP collection and can't wait for the Reprolabel crew to come out with their G1-inspired sticker sheet for him. I can't wait for Soundwave and his cassettes!

Also, even though I've seen some pictures of Sideswipe with chrome "piledriver" attachments, mine came with the black plastic flat versions like in the second picture above. Plus I was expecting his gun to be chrome but it actually is painted silver. I would have loved a chrome one like the G1 version. Oh well. A minor gripe that doesn't detract from the awesomeness of Sideswipe.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; November 6, 2012 at 12:53pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Nice score, Benny! I like having them do a smaller scale for these (ahahaha, "scale" in Transformers) because it means more room and cheaper 'bots! He looks solid!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Also, even though I've seen some pictures of Sideswipe with chrome "piledriver" attachments, mine came with the black plastic flat versions like in the second picture above.
    The pointed piledrives are an exclusive for those who ordered 'Swipe from Japanese Amazon.com.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    The pointed piledrives are an exclusive for those who ordered 'Swipe from Japanese Amazon.com.
    Ahh...that makes sense, Sandy. I probably could have figured that out myself if I read Japanese. Damn! Now I got to hunt down those chrome accessories!

Edit: I noticed that my G1 Sideswipe comes with a white gun, not a chrome one. I guess I was confusing him with Jazz, Prowl and Smokescreen. Still, I wouldn't mind Sideswipe with a chrome gun.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; November 6, 2012 at 12:55pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

New Sun Man fig.

Just got this Olmec rulers of the sun figure. I'd like to add Pighead to my collection but ive been outbid a few times. Pretty amazing shape considering the age
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Hey Alexx what's the articulation like on that gandalf? You mention his legs don't move, but what about the rest?

Hey Alexx what's the articulation like on that gandalf? You mention his legs don't move, but what about the rest?
    - Head twists, but the beard and hair obviously get in the way
    - Shoulders with outward movement
    - Standard elbows with a nice 90 degree range
    - twist wrists
    - twist waist
    - and actually the legs have knee and hip joints, but they're useless due to the stiff robe.

All around pretty nice! I mean, I'd like the legs to do things, but they would need a cloth robe for that. Otherwise the arms do everything I had hoped they would, and the 90 degree range on the elbows is nice, 'cause usually robe covered arms are more restricted.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Marvel Select: Black Cat - mainly cuz of the cool Spider-Man fig behind the window
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    - Head twists, but the beard and hair obviously get in the way
    - Shoulders with outward movement
    - Standard elbows with a nice 90 degree range
    - twist wrists
    - twist waist
    - and actually the legs have knee and hip joints, but they're useless due to the stiff robe.

All around pretty nice! I mean, I'd like the legs to do things, but they would need a cloth robe for that. Otherwise the arms do everything I had hoped they would, and the 90 degree range on the elbows is nice, 'cause usually robe covered arms are more restricted.
    I don't understand why they do stiff plastic clothing and hair when softer materials work so well, honestly. Do you have the recent MU She-Hulk? Her hair is a soft plastic piece which gives her head great movement range. And then you get that 2-pack Gambit with the totally stiff, immobile coat thing...

I don't understand why they do stiff plastic clothing and hair when softer materials work so well, honestly. Do you have the recent MU She-Hulk? Her hair is a soft plastic piece which gives her head great movement range. And then you get that 2-pack Gambit with the totally stiff, immobile coat thing...
    Yeah I'm not sure how they decide these things. With Gandalf I think it's a little more complicated because a softer plastic would risk tearing with how much covers the legs. Nothing short of cloth would help there. Totally agree with Gambit's coat though; way too stiff. If I'm not mistaken, it might have to do with the other items in the mold, like with Catra's gummy sword. It had to be in the same mold as the whip, and the whip had to be bendy, so the sword went along with it. Perhaps the stiffer plastic used for his staff had something to do with the coat? Hard to say, since She-Hulk's hair is a stand-alone peice. Perhaps it's because she didn't have any accessories, so her hair counted as one and could get it's own mold? One way or another I know it comes down to what shares what with which mold.

I just got the Mad Monster Party action figures in: Fang, the Baron and the Count.

Now, sculpt-wise these things are awesome! They are spot on like their movie counterparts. And they were alot bigger than I thought they'd be. They come with some cool accessories too. However, they are severely lacking in articulation and both the Count and Fang suffer from not being able to hold/display their accessories (Fang comes with a torch which isn't pictured). They come with stands as well but since the stands don't come with any pegs, they really don't help in the displaying of the figures (which are kind of tricky to stand up due to their unwieldy proportions). I still love them and can't wait for more releases (especially Francesca) but I hope they improve a bit in the future (if they have any more).

On the comic front I got Uncanny X-Men #79 which reprints the story from Uncanny X-Men #31. In this issue, the X-Men battle an Iron Man copycat in the form of Cobalt Man. Unfortunately, due to a bad design choice, the inventor decides to use cobalt which breaks down and becomes radioactive after 2 hours of use. I wonder who approved the use of that metal?

With the addition of this issue, I now have every Uncanny X-Men comic from #70 to #260.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; November 8, 2012 at 07:00pm.

Well today I got 3 comics first is Flash Gordon: Mercy War #1. Only a 6 part series fairly cheap, so why not?

2nd is an excellently colored Deadpool #1 by our own Mr. Staples.

And finally Before Watchmen: Moloch #1

Apparently it was a day of No. 1's
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Sweet score there mahuti.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Those Mad Monster figures are gorgeous. I love them! If I happened across those at a local comic shop, I'd be very, very tempted.

The other night I picked up the Lego trecycling truck for my modular city. Really nice little model!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Found this at a local comic shop for $8. I was a bit surprised to see eBay prices at $40 and up for one given most of the old 90s Toy Biz Marvel stuff doesn't command great prices. I was almost tempted to sell it for a profit but nah, it rekindled my love of those old Toy Biz Marvel toys. BAF A[ocalypse might be more poseable and detailed but this has an alternate weapon arm.

I was afraid the arm peg would break but it didn't. Though I had to run the left knee under the hot faucet for 2 minutes to unstick the paint and free up movement.

Great find. This is one I wanted to get. The big Toy Biz are a lot more expensive than the standard figures. I'm not in any hurry
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I love that Apocalypse! I only have the regular sized one, but he works the same way. Nice sculpt and fun arm accessories.

a Muppet of a man...
    Went to the Coast City Comic Con in Portland today, had a lot of fun, but the toy score of the day was this little beauty. The pulpit on the front was a little broken, but with some super-glue (and a momentary finger-glued-to-thumb moment) it's almost as good as new. And only $8!

The Picarmy must play with the new guys.

That's Jean-Luc Picard riding a great white shark. Don't act like you're not jealous.

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    The Picarmy is the greatest thing I've seen in years!! Those guys are having so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ShowerPowerFrosta View Post
    The Picarmy is the greatest thing I've seen in years!! Those guys are having so much fun!
    This. Definitely this!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I had to place an Amazon order for some things I needed, so I went ahead and tossed in Bratzillaz Cloetta Spelletta. Not sure if I'll go completist on these as I've not been 100% thrilled by the quality but I guess it's better than "yet another doll of a character you already own" MH collecting... and it'll be a while yet before Scaris and Dance Class hit any real saturation.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I picked up the Fall of Cybertron Blast-Off yesterday on a whim. While I'm still not crazy about how light-weight the TFs have become, he's actually a pretty neat figure; both the robot and shuttle modes. I will likely end up getting the other Combaticons - I always had a soft spot for them since I had them when I was a kid.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I'm into these Dark of the moon figures. It's a small set and they are cheap at Ross, LOL.

"The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I can't top the awesomeness of the latest Picarmy adventure, but I do have some things to report.

The Hobbit figures are starting to trickle into stores here, and the prices actually aren't that bad. I'm seriously considering getting Gandalf and Legolas at the very least. I did a rough comparison in the store and they seem to fit with the larger-end figures from the Marvel lines rather than the smaller ones for Star Wars. I'll see what happens. Also that warg rider beast pack looks great!

A week or so ago our local TRU's had a 25% off everything day. Normally this doesn't mean much, since their selection is very poor in terms of toylines I'm interested in. After dredging the pegs for any new Star Wars vintage figures and being disappointed, I ended up glancing at the Marvel movie figures. As it turned out, all Spider-Man products were already 30% off, and then the one-day sale applied to that as well. So I picked these two up:

Ultimate Scorpion is not the version of the character I would have wanted (this Scorpion is a clone of Peter Parker... something which sounds familiar...) but the figure looks so neat I couldn't resist him at that price. Unfortunately while his sculpt is great, his articulation isn't. His stiff legs especially prevent you from balancing him well with that giant missile-shooting tail of his.

This was the last figure I wanted from the "generic" Spider-Man toyline (which is now over) apart from the Shocker, which I've never seen at retail here except in an insanely overpriced multipack with a vehicle.

Amazing Spider-Man Green Goblin is one of those figures I'd never have given full price for. While I commend Hasbro's attempt to get some comic-book based figures into almost any line (looking at you Thor), the Spider-Man and Avengers lines has a very schziophrenic attitude towards articulation. Swivel hips? What is this, 1996? Apparently the Spider-Man line is the one Hasbro believes little kids will go for the most, because these guys have by far the worst articulation.

Which is a shame, because this Goblin looks awesome sculpt-wise! That face is a perfect gleeful Goblin face, and his body is well-proportioned with nice details everywhere. Furthermore he comes with a really cool glider!

I will confess though, I cheated a bit. I nabbed the pumpkin grenade and man-purse from the old MU Green Goblin (seen on the left here). Sadly, even with a theoretically better articulation scheme, the old MU one is actually less poseable than the new one! I switched their gliders in this pic so you could see the difference.

In summary, neither of these are really that good, but if you see them for a low price I recommend nabbing them just for display. I'm still waiting for a "perfect" Green Goblin (and we already had three attempts in this scale) but this guy is my current placeholder.

Finally, I caught wind that Hasbro will have two new 4" lines next year to compensate for the movie toylines trickling off. Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble will be based on the cartoons, which could mean bad news for sculpting style (if they're too low-detailed they won't match well with existing toys), but we shall have to wait and see.

Sandman out.