Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some figures at this point in the line... Good, but not GREAT?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Some figures at this point in the line... Good, but not GREAT?

There seems to be a lot of discussion lately about how the line currently feels (including from myself), with some people maybe feeling the line has lost a bit of it's sheen and appeal.

Part of the thing that has struck me, is that we've had a few characters that seemed like could / should / would be great. And in fairness, they were okay; but a few, I've kinda got and was like "....meh".

One example for me is Battleground ("Bikini") Teela. Maybe blashphemous to some. Don't get me wrong, a nice figure in itself, but from all of those old vintage comic designs we'd gaze over (in a purely "I'd like that as a figure" way, you understand!) that looked so wonderful, I've gotta say, I was maybe hoping for a little more from the final figure. It was kinda okay but "by the numbers" and for me lacked what could have made it really special.

And a few others (personally for me, maybe Bow and even Grizzlor - good but not as amazing as I had hoped; in fact many of this year's releases) have also left me feeling this. The upcoming Man-E-Faces is the first figure in quite a while that I expect to completely love.

Early in the line, things seemed to be really "spot on", even within the limitations of the line's designs. But at the moment, it kinda feels a bit "run of the mill", more interested in churning out the next "big monthly figure" instead of putting that extra care and shine in that was once there.

(Don't get me wrong, I still like the line and will continue collecting it, but I can't help but feel the bar has slipped a bit over the last 12 months or so).

Anyone else feeling this? Or am I just getting grumpy in my old age?! Interested to hear what everyone else think.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Hello,
    well i do like the line as a whole and, i have to say, even figures i'd rather not have (but i'd get anyways because of the subscription, like all horde members and pop ladies) are rather cool looking, and well devised.
    No, i'd say motuc figures are rather brilliant, actually, all of them.

i don´t think the line is slipping at all. we had ´very average´ figures at the start of the line too (of course everyone and his goat has a different opinion about which the not-so-perfect figures were). as time goes on it gets harder to amaze us as we've seen a lot of stuff already of the same standard. so... i don't think the line is going down-hill, i just think it is hard to amaze us as we've already been a bit spoilt with great figures.

personally, i think BGTeela was a bit boring... but i mean, that's what she was at the end of the day (totally happy for those that wanted her and i got one of her too, she's just not my favourite). on the other hand i LOVE roboto, buzz off and clawful - three figures that draw a lot of criticism from a reasonable number of fans.

Heroic Warrior
    It always depends on personal preferences...

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I sorta agree....Nothings 'wowed' me since Syke's face sculpt reveal!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Just wait until SDCC and you SHOULD be wowed, i have every year when i see the releases. Yeah not every single figure is super awesome but it would be hard to say that nothing wows anyone. Im sure there will be some really good figures released.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds like you may just be getting burned out a little. It happens to all of us. That and old-age-grumpiness. I remedy the burn-out by diverting my attentions between (too) many hobbies, including other toylines.

And we all have figures/characters we prefer over others. But for the ones you named you're dissappointed with, you didn't explain what aspects of them let you down. What exactly inhibits your admittance of the awesomeness of BGT or the perfection of Grizzlor?

I felt that way this year with Syclone and Catra. I liked both figures, but they did not wow me... maybe cuz I was never really connected to those characters in a meaningful way. I loved BA Skeletor and Panthor tho. Now that Summer is here, I think these are the best figures in a good long while. June's figures are awesome... LOVE the Faceless one, put SHe-Ra's head on BG Teela and have her next to Vikor and I really dig that... never too connected to She-Ra so I like this barbarian SHe-Ra figure much better. Can't wait for Clawful, Man-E, Megator and Leech and new Hordak. So to me, the SUmmer figures make the whole 2011 sub worthwhile.
    My least favorite figures are Zodac, Marzo and original Stratos (I really like DC pack Stratos and I def want DC pack Zodac) So I think for most there have been some figures that just don't impress, but the majority of these guys are simply unreal in their execution. Really excited for SDCC!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Probably would be a non issue if these were half the cost and available in stores, but since they are premium prices people expect each one have the wow factor.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    Sounds like you may just be getting burned out a little. It happens to all of us. That and old-age-grumpiness. I remedy the burn-out by diverting my attentions between (too) many hobbies, including other toylines.

And we all have figures/characters we prefer over others. But for the ones you named you're dissappointed with, you didn't explain what aspects of them let you down. What exactly inhibits your admittance of the awesomeness of BGT or the perfection of Grizzlor?
    Ha, I think you may well be right Or maybe we've just been spoiled for choice so far. I mean, the thing I was saying is that they're not bad figures, not bad at all, but just kinda felt like they coulda had that extra something to make them a classic.

As I posted (like a broken record lol) when BG Teela was revealed, I liked her, but it just kinda reeked of "which parts can we reuse easily" (which in a way is what the line has always had I guess). The head really let me down, it really didn't capture the feel of that blonde ponytailed warrior of old (always felt there shoulda been a variant head), and whereas I kinda hoped this would be one from prime display, it ended up just kinda being "another one for the collection".

Bow again was... I dunno, "run of the mill", nothing about him really stood out. But in fairness, early on we had the likes of Zodac... now there's one dull figure! Maybe I've just had too much of a good thing
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    As I posted (like a broken record lol) when BG Teela was revealed, I liked her, but it just kinda reeked of "which parts can we reuse easily" (which in a way is what the line has always had I guess).
    I'm in total agreement with you, Spacedust. I'm all for more female action figures, but with BG Teela, I kept uttering "meh" under my breath. Oddly enough, I ended up giving her to my niece who thought she looked awesome and wanted her next to her She-Ra and Catra. Different strokes, I guess.

I noticed that a lot of the figures as of late have been lacking that 'kick' if you will. That somewhat indescribable 'kick' can be anything from that little extra detailing or extra shading...something that really sets it apart and makes each figure individual and/or gives it the illusion that, although many of these parts have been used time and again, this figure is still unique.

Of course, as much as I've tried to let it go, things like the backwards shoulders and soft plastic swords are hard to forget and make me wonder how many more blunders am I going to have to pay for. I'm seriously considering dropping my subscription and just taking my chances with the WSOD on a month by month basis.
    "You don't wanna beat me or screw me!? What kind of marriage is this? Bring a book." -- Jerri Blank to her pretend husband Ronnie Leggett, from "Strangers With Candy"

Heroic Warrior
    Do you think that the reuse of parts might contribute to the fact that some (not me) feel that sometimes the line does not consistently wow them?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I think the line has lost a bit of steam and it's hard not to with how fast it started. They covered the original 8-back characters in no time because they originally planned on the line only consisting of a few 2-packs. The fast sellouts drew a lot of speculator interest in the line for the first couple years and now they are making plenty for everyone.

As a MOTU fan I am still very excited about new characters being made in this line that never had figures before. There's plenty of mini comic, 200X, and vintage characters that I am looking forward to. Just to name a few:

Eldor
    Evil Seed
    Lodar
    200X Sorceress

And can you imagine if they announce Filmation rights at SDCC? That will definitely refresh interest in the line with a whole new list of possibilities. Not to mention the new vehicle that will probably blow us all away.

I'm pretty easy to please. The figures have looked fantastic so far, and have continued to be so when I get 'em in hand. Battle Ground Teela especially, since I really look forward to those brand new concepts that haven't seen toy form before. I do find myself picking up some of the earlier ones most often (He-Man, Trap-Jaw, Mer-Man) but that doesn't mean I don't like the current ones. Faceless One is really fun to play with, and I just know that he would have taken on a new persona if I had him when I was a kid (he's ripe for reworking; he looks awesome, but bascially does nothing. That just wouldn't do in my old little-kid-world).

So in the long run I haven't run into any figures that have caused this line to lose it's luster. I'm still enjoying myself.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow...it's like some of us swapped places. I think I was where Spacedust is now at the beginning of the line for a few years. While the figures were great, the character selection was so heavily vintage that some fans doubted that other eras would show up in the line. Nowadays, I feel much better about the character selection in the line. Long lost characters, different versions of characters, non-80's figures and new tricks and accessories to spice up old characters!

Is it fair to say that the fans who weren't so thrilled with the line at the beginning are much happier now, versus the fans who were happier at the beginning, but now aren't as excited?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I was feeling a little burned out...but The Faceless One turned it around. I was never disappointed with any of them...but nothing "Wow'd" me. The Faceless One IMO was incredible...and looks awesome up on the shelf.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Honestly, I have been happier with the line lately. The paint aps do seem less layered lately which can make the figure "pop" less, but the character choice and most of the 4h decisions this year have pleased me. I do have a few nitpicks, but I am much happier at this point in 2011 than I was in 2010.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

As I have wrote before, it really ebbs and flows with me. I love Vintage and 200X, (I know crazy, right?), and the last few releases have not wowed me so much. The cheapening out on the heads, and the overall lack of creativity on some figures like Sy-Klone have contributed to this. Vikor and Bow are freaking fantastic, and better than I expected. I am not even a PoP fan, and I was shocked at how great Bow turned out. The upcoming releases are stellar also with Leech, Clawful, and Man-E-Faces.

Some of my mild malaise, and I can see the OP's point begins with issues with soft weapons, no extra heads, poorly conceived/executed designs like backward shoulders, and I am not exactly thrilled to buy another She-Ra just so she can ride Swifty, and she supposedly won't even be Filmation (tiara) accurate to boot. Overall, I think the line is fine though. Some releases are just going to be better than others. There is so much to look forward to.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    That and old-age-grumpiness.
    Hey, nothing wrong with being grumpy and old.

As far as the line goes, there are some figures that make my jaw drop like Bow or He-Ro, and others that don't. Zodac wasn't exactly a thriller for me, but I definitely wanted him. I haven't seen anything I'd call a bad figure (quality control issues aside). For me, the mix of eras and inclusion of figures we've never seen in plastic before keeps the line from stagnating. Besides, the property is so rife with diverse stuff, it would be kind of hard for it to get too boring.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Until now I am still very happy with the line. I was a bit hesitating when the line started late 2008, but that was more because it was again another restart after the 200X era. But almost all the figures still wow me. Offcourse I have my favorites and less favorites. 2011 top figures to me are Bow, Vikor, Catra, Faceless One, Clawfull, Leech & Panthor. The others released are also very nice figures. I do think a there's a bit of overuse of Skeletor's boots. I hope they make an alternative for those. For the rest the parts sharing is good.

I love this line. I have two subs currently and will be buying at least two subs for next year. That being said, this year has seemed a little less exciting in some regards.

I think it's been a little too vintage and less innovative for me recently. I love my vintage figures, and I like the reuse of parts with this line. I do think with recent figures it's gone a step too far. I'm so tired of seeing the Skeletor shins reused. I like the little touches some of the earlier figures got, whether it was alternate heads, cardback, or 200x influence.

I think a lot of it started last year with Roboto. I love the figure, but I prefer the 200x version slightly.

Grizzlor should have had a 200x head since he had all the pieces for a 200x figure. I'm saying that and I didn't like the 200x Grizzlor. I think his vintage design was superior.

Keldor should have come with his 200x swords. I'm still ****** about that.

Buzz-Off is straight vintage. Nothing new there. We knew what the figure was going to look like before we ever got it. The best part of Buzz-Off was his 200x ax and the little added legs.

I hate his head, he really needed a 200x head. Same for Clawful. Straight muppet.

King Hsss was plagued by QC issues and the most pathetic design in the entire line for the snake torso. Eric Treadway completely disappointed and let this King Hsss fan down. I can't say enough how bad he screwed up the snake torso on that figure. It's so pathetic looking. That took what should have been one of the crown jewels of this line and made it simply mediocre. I still like that figure, but it's only because of my great love for the character.

I don't care at all about Vikor. He's a nice figure, but that's it. No connection and the more detail heavy design on him in the sculpting and paint apps make him stand out from the rest of the figures somewhat.

Bow was a great design, but the loose armor and poorly designed arrow (it's too short for his bow) kind of hurt that figure for me.

I don't understand why the Faceless one has an actual face. He should look like DC's the Question or the Blank from **** Tracy. I love the character and the figure is still one of my favorite ones of the year though. The glowing Havoc staff alone makes that figure worth the purchase, but why is it that really light purple?

Bikini Teela is the same as Vikor. No nostalgia for me. I like the figure but I don't like the reduced articulation. She's also not Teela. Teela is a red head. So Bikini Teela is just another character for me.

Hurricane Hordak has that insipid dial on his back that just stares at you and laughs.

It's just been a mixed bag the last 10 months or so. Not bad, but mixed. I'm still incredibly happy with the line overall, about 85% satisfied, but it's been lacking a little lately. The vintage characters have become mostly predictable and that's disappointing.

We know exactly what we're getting with Fisto and Jitsu. Which is fine, but I'd like a larger 200x hand to go with each character. Some more options like that would be exciting for me. Even though I think I prefer the vintage hands. I like the options.

In addition to a "modern" head, why didn't Clawful come with an alternate pincer of some kind, instead of that stupid shield? That would have made that figure much more exciting.

We were promised 200x variants of characters, and we have yet to see that happen. I want a real Evil Lyn figure. I'd happily replace the garish vintage Randor with a 200x one, and I definitely want a 200x King Hsss done in classics style.

And Leech is coming up, he's my all time favorite motu character after Skeletor and He-Man. From what I've seen, I'm about 95% happy with him. He will easily be my favorite figure of the entire line.

--------------

Other than Leech, Battle Armor Skeletor (who ended up being a masterpiece), and Panthor, I haven't been "wowed" lately.

Still happy with the line. It's easily my favorite toyline along with the original line, and the 80s TMNT line.

I think we're getting closer to figures that require more new parts--Rattlor, Squeeze, Mantenna, Dragstor, Snout Spout, etc. So I think I'll be getting much more excited here soon.

I really llike this line, I may subscribe in 2012 instead of being the casual cherry-picker I am now. SDCC 2011 will influence that, as it will for many of us.

I think good vs. great really lies in the eye of the beholder. We all have likes and dislikes. I dislike Gygor's rage face, but that is what makes him great to others. What can I say, I can't win 'em all

I do see improvements in the line as a whole and hope to see characters and features from all the IP's continually incorporated into the Classics line.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I feel it a bit. I guess part of it is because the line has been going a few years now but big factors for me are also the bad QC with King Hiss shoulders as well as other things such as my Panthor coming with two front right legs. A problem matty doesn't care about.
    Also Clawful and Leech heads designs do not appeal to me.
    I think a few more extra heads would make all the difference in making figures so much more impressive to more people and maintain more of a wow factor for everyone.
    More NA would be good too.
    Last edited by Rodster6; July 12, 2011 at 04:44pm.

I know what you mean, Spacedust. Earlier on in the line they were mixing and matching the syles a bit to create really cool figures. We were getting extra 200x styled heads and weapons, as well as other extras that allowed us to get the versions of the characters we wanted, and it was pretty exciting. Now that it seems to be more and more "just-take-the-version-originally-designed-for-5-year-olds-and-put-it-in-this-scale", some of that exceitement has worn off. The figures are really starting to feel more and more the same. Now I realize that's how it was back when we were kids, to save on costs, but this line seemed like it was, and certainly should be, about more than just recreating what we had when we were kids. If that's all I wanted, I wouldn't be collecting these figures in the first place, I'd be on ebay buying the vintage. This line should be about making the figures we *wish* we could have had. It should be about taking the good and improving on the bad. It should be about giving us 200x or Filmation heads when they are radically different so we can have the MOTU that WE want. It should be about that little bit of extra detailing that really makes the figures pop. We aren't children anymore, and this isn't a child's line. It's about taking what we loved when we were kids and improving it into something we can also appreciate as adults. Mattel needs to get back to that.
    Good Trades with: MOTU_Maniac, bmoore, Riddle of Steel, sandrockgundam04, Brian Ozone, and blue monkey.

Burned out?? Never. As long as Mattel will continue making good to great MOTU figures. I'm really happy & jolly w/ everything (except NA figs.-fortuneately only 1 so far). I'm not even close to being done eating w/ this line.

Figures that might be just o.k would be....
    BG Teela(like most of bio), Optik of course, that's it.