Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.61!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.61!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 61 questions!

This round of questions were selected by Staff Of Ka.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

-------------------

1. Mr Roboto:
    What criteria do you use or follow to determine who the Club Eternia subscription figure will be?

In the past (with Wun-Dar and Preternia He-Man) we tried to pick characters that were not essential but would be rewarding to completionsists and die hard fans. For 2012 for the 30th we are doing something a bit more special.

2. Buesefus:
    Teela, Goddess, Evil-Lyn and Adora all had ankle articulation that allowed a wide range of movement. She-Ra and Catra use a different style that limits the movement more. What was the reason for the change in ankle joints in the female characters, and what type of ankle articulation can we expect on future females?

The type of articulation given to each characters is not standardized. There are no “rules” but rather each character is reviewed by the Horsemen and Mattel design and given articulation that works for that character and with the sculpt.

3. The Fallen:
    Some of us have, at one time, been in a rut as a fan of this property for what ever reason. Does being the Brand Manager, Bio Writer, Forum Poster and Fanboy Mediator affect you as an actual fan of the MOTU property?

From Toyguru:

“If anything it makes me tread very carefully as a caretaker of the property. I feel a huge amount of responsibility to the fans. Everyone here agrees that the fans “own” the property and it is up to Mattel and Classic Media to treat it right. As the brand manager (and a fan) I am always trying to ensure we do right by the line and make it the best it can be. While it is a dream job in some respects, it is also tough in the sense that so many people pay so close attention to every detail and we do all we can to make the right moves.”

4. Tallstar:
    Do toy line versions of characters such as Frosta, Glimmer, Castaspella, Queen Angella, Entrapta etc. have a real chance of being made in this line?

They certainly could. That is one reason we created the “quarterly variant” slots. It permitted a road map to deliver variants of characters while still delivering 12 all new characters in the main monthly slots.

5. Darkspecter:
    Toyguru said Queen Marlena's body has new parts (possibly internal), but he said he would have to check with the design team to find out for certain which parts are new on her female buck. Can you ask design which parts are new (if any)?

From Toyguru:

“I checked again with design and I was incorrect on this. The new body parts are with Battle Ground Teela and She-Ra 2.0. Marlena only introduced the new snap together outfit concept.”

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 63!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 15.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 16.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 17.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 18.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 19.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 20.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 21.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 22.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 23.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 24.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 25.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 26.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 27.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 28.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 29.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 30.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 31.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 32.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 33.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 34.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 35.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 36.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 37.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 38.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 39.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 40.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 41.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 42.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 43.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 44.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 45.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 46.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 47.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 48.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 49.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 50.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 51.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 52.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 53.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 54.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 55.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 56.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 57.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 58.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 59.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 60.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 61 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    1. Mr Roboto:
    What criteria do you use or follow to determine who the Club Eternia subscription figure will be?

In the past (with Wun-Dar and Preternia He-Man) we tried to pick characters that were not essential but would be rewarding to completionsists and die hard fans. For 2012 for the 30th we are doing something a bit more special.
    That sounds to me like, "next year we'll make you feel really sorry for not committing to the subscription."
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    3. The Fallen:
    Some of us have, at one time, been in a rut as a fan of this property for what ever reason. Does being the Brand Manager, Bio Writer, Forum Poster and Fanboy Mediator affect you as an actual fan of the MOTU property?

From Toyguru:

“If anything it makes me tread very carefully as a caretaker of the property. I feel a huge amount of responsibility to the fans. Everyone here agrees that the fans “own” the property and it is up to Mattel and Classic Media to treat it right. As the brand manager (and a fan) I am always trying to ensure we do right by the line and make it the best it can be. While it is a dream job in some respects, it is also tough in the sense that so many people pay so close attention to every detail and we do all we can to make the right moves.”
    Hmmmmmm.....

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Toyguru and Co. are saying all the right things in this set of Q & A's. It feels mighty good to be partial owner of MOTU/POP/NA/2002...

What do you guys think the "special" sub exclusive will be?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hmmmmmm.....
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 2, 2011 at 10:33pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This makes me worry that the bonus figure will be a must have next year. I can't fit an all-in subscription into my budget, especially if they up it again by adding a yearly vehicle. Maybe the bonus will be a vehicle.

Better not be Spikor or the Sorceress.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    4. Tallstar:
    Do toy line versions of characters such as Frosta, Glimmer, Castaspella, Queen Angella, Entrapta etc. have a real chance of being made in this line?

They certainly could. That is one reason we created the “quarterly variant” slots. It permitted a road map to deliver variants of characters while still delivering 12 all new characters in the main monthly slots.
    Oh my God...I think I just died a bit inside. So, initially they were to be solely based on the toys, then it was "up to the Four Horsemen" to determine, then they had to have the toy colours no matter which version we got, now it sounds like it will only be Filmation...but we might get some detailed versions based on the toys sometime...maybe. We friggin better or I'm going to go on a rampage!

I am happy that the one answer basically says we will be getting Filmation characters though. Partnership spoilers!
    5. Darkspecter:
    Toyguru said Queen Marlena's body has new parts (possibly internal), but he said he would have to check with the design team to find out for certain which parts are new on her female buck. Can you ask design which parts are new (if any)?

From Toyguru:

“I checked again with design and I was incorrect on this. The new body parts are with Battle Ground Teela and She-Ra 2.0. Marlena only introduced the new snap together outfit concept.”
    Well...I'm very happy to finally get the final answer on this. It's been driving me crazy! I didn't care who was right and who was wrong, I just wanted to know what was going on with regards to new parts! Thank you for the answer, TG.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I also think the ankle articulation answer was odd. Don't all the standard size male figures all have the same articulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Oh my God...I think I just died a bit inside. So, initially they were to be solely based on the toys, then it was "up to the Four Horsemen" to determine, then they had to have the toy colours no matter which version we got, now it sounds like it will only be Filmation...but we might get some detailed versions based on the toys sometime...maybe. We friggin better or I'm going to go on a rampage!
    The interview with Eric on Roast Gooble pretty much prepared me for this, but I'm trying to look on the bright side... There's at least HOPE for toy line versions in the variant slots. And you better believe the hardcore POP fans are gonna speak-up if too much time passes without getting any of those gals as A-List variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The interview with Eric on Roast Gooble pretty much prepared me for this, but I'm trying to look on the bright side... There's at least HOPE for toy line versions in the variant slots. And you better believe the hardcore POP fans are gonna speak-up if too much time passes without getting any of those gals as A-List variants.
    Hopefully She-Ra 2.0 blows the socks off everyone and we start getting those toy versions! She's our only shining beacon of hope!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    We've already seen variants of he-man, skelly, hordak and teela; I think evil lyn is the next one, plus she-ra 2.0 could be toy based or come with snap on dresses...that leaves catra as the last major vintage character (who had multiple toys) who has yet to see a variant. I think that's who realistically has any chance of getting a toy variant. I just don't see any of the other pop girls getting 2 versions if they go filmation first. I hope I'm wrong.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    I just don't see any of the other pop girls getting 2 versions if they go filmation first. I hope I'm wrong.
    That's why I've been saying since 2008 to do the PoP toy versions first! I mean, what about Queen Angella? Her toy and the cartoon version could be different characters! They're not even close. Pants! I want PANTS!

Hopefully She-Ra 2.0 blows the socks off everyone and we start getting those toy versions! She's our only shining beacon of hope!
    That and our complaints.

One thing that scares me about Mattel getting Filmation access is the possibility they'll go for cartoon-based versions of the Star Sisters.

That and our complaints.

One thing that scares me about Mattel getting Filmation access is the possibility they'll go for cartoon-based versions of the Star Sisters.
    I know! I'm so scared. The toy prototypes are gorgeous and the cartoon versions are just a pure nightmare.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    yay! Im really glad we got some good answers! Picking the questions was fun.....But nerve wracking!

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    That's why I've been saying since 2008 to do the PoP toy versions first!
    You're probably not saying it loud enough!
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

We've already seen variants of he-man, skelly, hordak and teela; I think evil lyn is the next one, plus she-ra 2.0 could be toy based or come with snap on dresses...that leaves catra as the last major vintage character (who had multiple toys) who has yet to see a variant. I think that's who realistically has any chance of getting a toy variant. I just don't see any of the other pop girls getting 2 versions if they go filmation first. I hope I'm wrong.
    LOL! Vintage variants, 200X variants, NA variants, POP variants and Filmation variants? Soon they'll have to increase the number of variants past quarterly...

We only have 24 slots for variants, if the line is planned up until 2017.

Crossing off :
    1. Thunder Punch He-Man
    2. Flying Fist He-Man
    3. NA He-Man
    4. Ice Armor He-Man
    5. Snake Armor He-Man
    6. 200X He-Man
    7. Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    8. Terror Claws Skeletor
    9. NA Skeletor
    10. Disks of Doom Skeletor
    11. Battle Blade Skeletor
    12. 200X Evil-Lyn
    13. 200X Adam
    14. Captain Randor
    15. 200X Sorceress
    16. Bubble Power She-Ra
    17. Starburst She-Ra
    18. Scratchin Sound Catra
    19. Shower Power Catra

We have five more slots. Add in the Laser He-Man and Skeletor variants and we'll have 3 more. Buzzsaw Hordak will reduce the list down to two more left.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 3, 2011 at 02:50am.

The POP figures, in some cases could have boots and gauntets that were a merging of the toy and cartoon designs, and then they could come with 2 heads and/or 2 outfits (if they use the snap on outfits as they are with Queen Marlena).

For a character like Angella, that might be difficult, if only because of the wing tooling (though, I am sure they will use repurposed DCUC wings and swear up and down they aren't from the same line, so as to avoid the wrath of DC).

With somone like Frosta, that would be easy... but somewhat unnecessary.

Glimmer is a good example of a figure that might benefit from the snap on outfits: 2 heads (one cartoon, one toy) and 2 outfits (one cartoon, one toy) plus her staff. That's reasonable because her body requires no new tooling. They could use BG Teela's buck, or Female Buck 1.0.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

plus she-ra 2.0 could be toy based or come with snap on dresses...
    Judging based on all the hints that Toyguru's given us over the last several months, I'm seriously thinking there's a good chance that She-Ra 2.0 will come with two snap-on outfits, so we can have both style guide and toy looks. We already know we're getting the toy sword, as well as a new headdress and cape (the hints strongly imply they're toy-based too), so it would be a crying shame if they didn't go "all the way" for a second time! I would be annoyed-as-hell! The style guide outfit seems likely too, because, after folks asked about it a bazillion times, I remember one of the responses in WTFWTK said that fans would be happy with what they see.

LOL! Vintage variants, 200X variants, NA variants, POP variants and Filmation variants? Soon they'll have to increase the number of variants past quarterly...
    They're gonna have to do something, imo. There's already sooooo many characters that we need to get to. I know folks will probably hate this idea, but the POP variants could be outside of the subscription, like She-Ra 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The POP figures, in some cases could have boots and gauntets that were a merging of the toy and cartoon designs, and then they could come with 2 heads and/or 2 outfits (if they use the snap on outfits as they are with Queen Marlena).

For a character like Angella, that might be difficult, if only because of the wing tooling (though, I am sure they will use repurposed DCUC wings and swear up and down they aren't from the same line, so as to avoid the wrath of DC).

With somone like Frosta, that would be easy... but somewhat unnecessary.

Glimmer is a good example of a figure that might benefit from the snap on outfits: 2 heads (one cartoon, one toy) and 2 outfits (one cartoon, one toy) plus her staff. That's reasonable because her body requires no new tooling. They could use BG Teela's buck, or Female Buck 1.0.
    This is exactly what I want. Toy boots and bracelets, two outfits (and heads, if applicable). Then, everyone is happy and I get two of every PoP figure!

Glimmer is hard because of the silver tights and blue tights. She's a tricky one. Same with Queen Angella (different coloured wings and possibly boots? I'm tired as hell...so my mind isn't quite right. ).

Judging based on all the hints that Toyguru's given us over the last several months, I'm seriously thinking there's a good chance that She-Ra 2.0 will come with two snap-on outfits, so we can have both style guide and toy looks. We already know we're getting the toy sword, as well as a new headdress and cape (the hints strongly imply they're toy-based too), so it would be a crying shame if they didn't go "all the way" for a second time! I would be annoyed-as-hell! The style guide outfit seems likely too, because, after folks asked about it a bazillion times, I remember one of the responses in WTFWTK said that fans would be happy with what they see
    Agreed. I think it's Marlena-style two outfits. Soooooo excited!

They're gonna have to do something, imo. There's already sooooo many characters that we need to get to. I know folks will probably hate this idea, but the POP variants could be outside of the subscription, like She-Ra 2.0
    I prefer two-outfits for all future PoP, but if they can't/won't do this, I would be okay with that idea.

hmmm, i thought the sub-exclusive might be something non-figure related. how do you do a classics figure that ties in with the 30th anniversary? unless it is he-man with whatever 30th logo they come out with on his armor? or he-man in a special box? or a sticker.

Heroic Warrior
    I just saw Pixel Dan's review of Man-E-Faces and i agree with him that the secret accesory is a three faced exra head.After all they did say we would be getting a figure with three heads .

Wait till SDCC, just wait till SDCC. I am sure She-Ra 2.0 will be worth waiting for

Otherwise I fear certain people running the line may go into hiding from the wrath of POP fans

But seriously just wait for the reveal of She-Ra 2.0

I am also glad Scott told us about Marlena, it was confusing as hell
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    What do you guys think the "special" sub exclusive will be?
    Filmation-Skeletor

We only have 24 slots for variants, if the line is planned up until 2017.

Crossing off :
    1. Thunder Punch He-Man
    2. Flying Fist He-Man
    3. NA He-Man
    4. Ice Armor He-Man
    5. Snake Armor He-Man
    6. 200X He-Man
    7. Dragon Blaster Skeletor
    8. Terror Claws Skeletor
    9. NA Skeletor
    10. Disks of Doom Skeletor
    11. Battle Blade Skeletor
    12. 200X Evil-Lyn
    13. 200X Adam
    14. Captain Randor
    15. 200X Sorceress
    16. Bubble Power She-Ra
    17. Starburst She-Ra
    18. Scratchin Sound Catra
    19. Shower Power Catra

We have five more slots. Add in the Laser He-Man and Skeletor variants and we'll have 3 more. Buzzsaw Hordak will reduce the list down to two more left.
    Buzzsaw Hordak is pointless, unless they attach the name to a different (Filmation-Hordak?) version. Also, they never promised every vintage variant by the end of 2017, and I'm sure that at least one of the NA Skeletors, and at least one of your 200X He-Men will have to wait. Probably one each of the toy She-Ra/Catra variants too.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

For a character like Angella, that might be difficult, if only because of the wing tooling... Glimmer is a good example of a figure that might benefit from the snap on outfits: 2 heads (one cartoon, one toy) and 2 outfits (one cartoon, one toy) plus her staff. That's reasonable because her body requires no new tooling. They could use BG Teela's buck, or Female Buck 1.0.
    And the fact that the base figure (legs) are different colours (flesh/blue and silver/blue, respectively).

Quote Originally Posted by KingRondor View Post
    I just saw Pixel Dan's review of Man-E-Faces and i agree with him that the secret accesory is a three faced exra head.After all they did say we would be getting a figure with three heads .
    Two three-faced heads =/= three heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    And the fact that the base figure (legs) are different colours (flesh/blue and silver/blue, respectively).
    And there you are "correcting" me lol

Do you really think I don't know this?

They can make her legs a silver-blue color (an amalgamation of the two styles. That's what I was trying to infer in the other statement. The boots and gauntlets are purplish in both cases.

Jeez... I mean, really. As if I wouldn't know that kind of detail about a POP figure!! Ha!
    Last edited by bcrduke; July 3, 2011 at 11:27am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Buzzsaw Hordak is pointless, unless they attach the name to a different (Filmation-Hordak?) version. Also, they never promised every vintage variant by the end of 2017, and I'm sure that at least one of the NA Skeletors, and at least one of your 200X He-Men will have to wait. Probably one each of the toy She-Ra/Catra variants too.
    I agree about the Buzzsaw Hordak being pointless, but even with my list of names, we still have slots left. If MOTUC is planned out to another year, then it'll be 9 more slots left to fill.

I think we might see some more "test figures" this year that aren't part of Club Eternia, ala She-Ra 2.0.