Thread: Metternia Bios

Hybrid View

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar

Metternia Bios

Foreword

For those of you who don't yet know, Metternia began in June 2002 as my crazy private project to update MOTU from what felt like a fairly random toyline/fairlytale creation into a coherent fantasy world. Back then I had to rely on my own memories, because I was unaware of any internet databases like He-man.org, so the original version was very much based on the minicomics as I remembered them, and my own personal canon. Later, when I saw the MYP cartoon, it heavily influenced many of my ideas and I ended changing and adding things to fit in better with them.

Recently I've done my best to work in some things from other canons such as Filmation and even MOTUC, but my intention has never been to create a simple amalgam of previous canons. Metternia will always be a separate entity of its own, an elseworld Eternia if you will. As a result you'll find decided divergences such as geography nowhere to be found on any extant map of Eternia, or details that downright contradict all other canons. You'll also notice I don't use the term Preternia anywhere, as in Metternia He-Ro lives in a time after the fall of the greatest civilization on Eternia, with more history behind it than there is between He-Ro and He-Man!

The bios are what I consider my "clear canon", where every detail is considered a reliable fact unless explicitly named as myth or legend, unlike in the Books of Aeonia, where myths and misinformation are rife and the connections to Metternian reality may be tangential. Besides character bios, there are also going to be some descriptions of groups such as the Horde Wraiths, Gear Men, God Creatures and possibly even the Fighting Foe Men (unless I sink that stuff inside a bio or two). I may even do some descriptions of locations, since if Eternia and Etheria can get bios in MOTUC...

I'm listing here the characters whose bios are in some stage of completeness or that I at least have definite bio ideas put together (those with less than 50% of the bio written appear gray in the list). Some parts of the bios have already been posted in the fan art thread, and I'll also add them here. Since I write them whenever inspiration strikes, I can't predict when a bio will be done, or if some other bio ends up getting written before ones listed here. If I end up posting all of these here, plus the others likely to follow, there's going to be such a lot of them that I have tp create links to them here in the first post.

Ancient Characters

Evilseed
    Faceless One
    Heera
    He-Ro/King Grayskull
    Koduk Alder
    Megator
    Moss Man
    Procrustus
    Nef-Horu
    Silverleaf
    Sheregor
    Tytus
    Vikor
    Zodac - the Cosmic Enforcer
    Zodak - the Mystic Enforcer

Evil Warriors

Beast Man
    Clawful
    Evil-Lyn
    Faker
    Goat Man
    Jitsu
    Mer-Man
    Skeletor
    Spikor
    Stinkor
    Trap Jaw
    Tri-Klops
    Webstor

Heroic Warriors

Buzz-Off
    Clawesome
    Fisto
    Man-At-Arms
    Man-E-Faces
    Orko
    Ram Man
    Roboto

The Horde

Grizzlor
    Hordak
    Horde Wraiths
    Leech
    Tusgore

Snake Men

King Hiss
    Kobra Khan
    High Priest Ssyrakh
    Snake Face

Other

Count Marzo
    Gear Men of Eternos
    Keldor
    Prahvus

Races, part I
    Races, part II
    Locations

[Disclaimer: as always with world building efforts, details in the bios are subject to change if the whole of the story demands it. I'm also often ready to change things if the reasons are good enough, so if something really rubs you the wrong way, please let me know and tell me why.]
    Last edited by Met-Hild; August 27, 2011 at 03:04pm. Reason: updates
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Getting things started with a Horde double feature:

Horde Wraiths
    Hordak's elite warlocks

Hordak knew that to go against the Council of Elders and its enfocers, he needed an army capable of defending against and using the most powerful magics. He already had the means to transform anyone's abilities far beyond natural limitations, and had no shortage of willing candidates, but having himself betrayed his old master, Hordak would not simply trust such power to anyone. There had to be a price to pay: anyone transformed into one of Hordak's elite warlocks would have to relinquish part of their free will. They would no longer be able to disagree with their lord and master, nor disobey any of his orders.

Even with such a severe cost for power, Hordak had no difficulty finding volunteers. The Council of Elders had imposed limits to the teaching of magic to other races and all but forbidden the teaching of warlock magics. Many were willing to ignore the true motivations behind the offer of great power or even fully embraced Hordak's true goals to begin with.

The hooded, glowing-eyed figures of Hordak's elite became the spearhead of the magical forces of his army. Proud of their great magical prowess they often chose to levitate rather than walking, setting themselves apart from anyone not instilled with such power. They soon became known as wraiths among Hordak's troops and enemies both.

Despite their absolute loyalty, not many wraiths found their way among Hordak's most trusted lieutenants. Perhaps as a result of this only a handful were with him when he became trapped in the time vortex in Despondos. Their number was deminished further, when Hordak had to leave most of them behind to keep open the portal needed to escape from Despondos. Finding himself and his army in a radically changed situation, Hordak never created more wraiths using the same method as on Eternia.

Cut off from their leader, the wraiths nonetheless kept fighting the war for Hordak, though splintered and without central direction. They were formidable opponents nonetheless, and the war stretched on for years even in the absence of Hordak. Time was not on the wraiths' side however. Even despite their inability to rebel, Hordak had implemented a contingency plan that slowly drained them of their augmented power in the absence of their master. Whether it was part of the plan or not, all of the surviving wraiths on Eternia took their life soon after the end of the war.

Tusgore
    Maladdon of the Primigus tribe

The Manmot warrior Maladdon was banished from his tribe after disobeying tribal laws and consequently killing a high-ranking elder in a fit of rage. Doomed to a life of a vagabond and shunned by the other Manmot tribes, Maladdon wandered south from the plains of Frigia where his people lived. He found his way to the Serpent Citadel where he heard a great warlock was hiring warriors that could prove their worth. Soon Maladdon was recruited into Hordak's growing army where he abandoned his tribal name, going by Tusgore from then on. He became notorious for his way of eschewing projectile and bladed weapons, choosing instead to slay his enemies with the force of his iron-knuckled fists and his mighty steel-tipped tusks.

Hordak himself was impressed by the fierce elephantine warrior, but was disappointed to find out most of the Manmots were too peaceful to befit his purposes. He was still certain they could be used as a breeding stock for fearsome warriors, if they could be manipulated to become more like Tusgore. Hordak appointed Tusgore to lead the northern legions to Frigia and conquer the Manmots for his uses. This proved to be a mistake, as Tusgore took the opportunity to terrible wreak revenge against his kind, burning down villages just for fun and slaughtering his entire native tribe. When Hordak found out Tusgore had ruined his plans with this insubordination, he punished the Manmot by trapping him in a glacier, magically frozen solid yet still fully aware of his situation.

Tusgore remained encased in ice for the length of the Second Great War, not knowing that the warlock had eventually been trapped in another dimension. During the following millenia he slowly drifted into a state of delirious stupor, which he was in when a group of Nephilian explorers found him and thawed him out, amazed to find the giant warrior alive, though catatonic. He was toured around Eternia as an unwitting part of a traveling show, until eventually Hordak managed to return to Eternia. Desperate for able warriors he sought Tusgore out, cured him of his madness and allowed him to join the Horde once again.

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Awesome!

Looking forward to more.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I got a crazy little idea today. Since finishing a bio sometimes takes me ages, I could write some short mini-bios to be added for the listed characters whose bios might take a while longer. Here are some samples:

Ancient Characters

He-Ro
    Ro Larr
    Trained by the mysterious Eldor in the ways of magic, He-Ro became the first champion of Grayskull, defending the castle against the Snake Men. He later became a king, until he moved the capital city from Grayskull to Eternos and relinquished his power to the Ruling Council. Remembered as King Grayskull in modern times.

Kodak Alder
    The Successor of Heera as the Sorceress of Grayskull. She trained Kodak Ungor and defended Grayskull against the evil of Karak Nul and the Foe Men.

Evil Warriors

Mer-Man
    Atergos ag Rakash
    The exiled son of the dethroned ruler of the Rakash undersea empire, the Foemor prince Mer-Man joined forces with Skeletor in return for help to regain his father's throne.

Clawful
    Khrzor Rhaklus
    Mer-Man's enslaved carcinian bodyguard who chose to serve Skeletor after he freed Clawful from the magic that had bound him to the Foemor prince since his birth.

Heroic Warriors

Zodac the Cosmic Enfocer
    Zur'ath Ustar
    An enforcer of the Council of Elders that was stationed in space and became cut off from Eternia during the Second Great War. He found a new purpose while meditating and dedicated his existance to upholding a balance between all extremes in the universe.

Buzz-Off
    Bazaphoros of Andreeno
    A young Andreenid of the leader caste that was sent as an ambassador to Eternos, where he took part in the Battle of Eternos against Keldor's forces. After his acts of bravery, Bazaphoros was allowed to join the Eternian Guard.

What do you think. Good idea? Stupid idea? Mostly harmless idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Awesome!

Looking forward to more.
    Thanks. I'll post Roboto's bio tomorrow. You can trust me on this, I never make promises anymore unless I expect to be able to keep them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    I got a crazy little idea today.
    More like a good idea! I vote that you keep this up & then keep posting the complete bios as you go. I think these short bios will also give a good idea of the overall story...

Trained by the mysterious Eldor in the ways of magic, He-Ro became the first champion of Grayskull, defending the castle against the Snake Men. He later became a king, until he moved the capital city from Grayskull to Eternos and relinquished his power to the Ruling Council. Remembered as King Grayskull in modern times.
    Making KG & HR the same is a good idea. Though I hope that "the Power" isn't merely KG's belief in himself!

Kodak Alder
    The Successor of Heera as the Sorceress of Grayskull. She trained Kodak Ungor and defended Grayskull against the evil of Karak Nul and the Foe Men.
    Short bios on groups & locations would also be good.

Mer-Man
    Atergos ag Rakash
    The exiled son of the dethroned ruler of the Rakash undersea empire, the Foemor prince Mer-Man joined forces with Skeletor in return for help to regain his father's throne.
    Excellent! Mermie has some depth!

Clawful
    Khrzor Rhaklus
    Mer-Man's enslaved carcinian bodyguard who chose to serve Skeletor after he freed Clawful from the magic that had bound him to the Foemor prince since his birth..
    Perfect! Nothing better than this kind of tension within the ranks! Mer-Man has never really been given much "royal" treatment, but this is a good way to demonstrate his (former) power.

Buzz-Off
    Bazaphoros of Andreeno
    A young Andreenid of the leader caste that was sent as an ambassador to Eternos, where he took part in the Battle of Eternos against Keldor's forces. After his acts of bravery, Bazaphoros was allowed to join the Eternian Guard.
    I like that Buzz-Off sounds like a corruption of his real name "Bazaphoros".

I'll post Roboto's bio tomorrow. You can trust me on this, I never make promises anymore unless I expect to be able to keep them!
    Cool - should be interesting!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Though I hope that "the Power" isn't merely KG's belief in himself!
    Well there's one thing you need not worry about!

Short bios on groups & locations would also be good.
    You're absolutely right! I should start with those, actually. There are a ton of novel locations mentioned in my bios that are in no way obvious from the names, though I have an exact idea of what they're like. And even groups like the Foe Men that aren't clearly defined in any canon so far.

Gear Men; Roboto

Gear Men of Eternos

After the Great Wars the people of Eternia grew wary of the advanced technology they saw as the reason for the downfall of the Ancients. While they preserved many of the technological marvels of the Age of the Ancients, the tekmasters banned many technologies including artificial minds and machines that could imitate human abilities. Man-shaped machines were only accepted if they were clearly devoid of any will or wits of their own.

When king He-Ro appointed the Ruling Council of Eternos, he gifted them ten mechanical men that would serve them tirelessly. To avoid angering the tekmasters' guild he had them made so that their chests and heads were transparent, revealing the simplistic inner workings of gears, cogs and crude electronics. Their ability to respond to commands accordingly was more due to magic than technology. As a result the tekmasters could maintain and repair the mechanical servants, dubbed Gear Men, but not build functioning copies of them.

Though Eternos had to survive many tribulations in the Time of Strife, many of the Gear Men survived in working order. However, by the time the young Man-At-Arms Duncan got to study them, only three were functioning perfectly. The others still remaining had been afflicted by the decaying of the magical spells bound in their mindstones. They could only be ordered to do simplistic repetitive tasks and were of little use for the Ruling Council.

+++

Roboto
    Robotic Unit 9041

Built by the Ancients to help the crew of the orbital space station Vesperus, robotic unit 9041 was inactive on the fateful day the Second Great War began. This saved its central processor when Hordak unleashed a massive energy pulse that incapacitated every satellite, ship and space station in the orbit of Eternia. However, with no-one to restart it, unit 9041 was doomed to remain offline longer than anyone had ever planned for, forgotten aboard the derelict hulk of Vesperus.

At some point during the Time of Strife the remains of Vesperus broke apart and drifted into the atmosphere. Charred pieces of it fell down on different parts of Eternia. Through luck, the module containing unit 9014 landed in the Searing Sands, where it lay buried until it was happened upon by Man-At-Arms Duncan of Eternos on a patrol mission. The wreck was excavated and inside Man-At-Arms found something he could only have dreamed of: the remains of a mechanical humanoid with what appeared to be an artificial brain.

For years before being appointed Man-At-Arms, Duncan had obsessed with improving robotics. It all began when he realized his own bionic leg could be vastly improved, and through hard work, reading and experimentation he had mastered the creation of artificial limbs and organs of different kinds, even surpassing the skills of the leading tek-surgeons in Eternos. After this he turned his attention to the gear men of Eternos Palace, simplistic human-shaped automatons used as the silent servants of the Ruling Council. Duncan realized that combining his knowledge of bionics with the gear men, he could create an artificial person physically superior to any human being. However his creation lacked one crucial ingredient: a mind.

Duncan went against the age-old tekmaster taboo of developing artificial brains, but had little success. Such information had been lost or destroyed from the ancient texts and even the Sorceress could not offer him any help. On his own Duncan could not come up with a machine mind that was smarter than a gnat, so eventually he gave up the effort. But now, many years later, he dug up his unfinished husk of a metal man to grant a new life to the robotic brain he had discovered.

To Man-At-Arms' amazement, combining the mostly intact processing unit with the body turned out much easier than he had expected, though much painstaking work had to be done to repair and replace the damaged parts of the ancient artificial brain. Upon finishing his work, he was shocked by the realization of what he was about to do. Was he committing an unforgivable crime by creating a powerful machine that could think and act for itself? Who knew if the robotic being would turn out to be benevolent or a remorseless killer?

Distraught, Man-At-Arms sought council with the Sorceress, explaining his dilemma. To his relief the Sorceress took the news calmly and explained that after the Great Wars this technology had been hidden or destroyed to prevent it from falling into evil hands and turned into an unstoppable force of destruction. She took Man-At-Arms deep into the vaults of Grayskull where she produced an ancient technical artifact. It was a heart chip, created to grant emotions and empathy to a robotic entities, to make them care for living beings and unwilling to harm anyone. Instructed by the Sorceress, Man-At-Arms installed the heart chip in the artificial man and finally dared to switch him on.

Due to damage to his memory cores, unit 9041 was unable to remember anything specific from his earlier existence in the time of the Ancients except for part of his name, which came out as a stuttered "Robot-o-o-o-o-o". This gained him the name Roboto, even though his self-repair algorithms later fixed the problem and he was able to state his full designation. Man-At-Arms and his daughter Teela treated him like a recovering patient as he learned to use his new body and the intricacies of the human world.

At first Roboto was greeted with astonishment and confusion by the people of Eternos, even fear and hostility from the tekmasters' guild, but the Sorceress was able to clear the matter by talking to the Ruling Council. Once Roboto knew his way around the city, Man-At-Arms was even granted a permission to let him join the Eternian Guard as he had wished, though the decision implied a position more of a weapon or a piece of equipment than a person.

Even when he was begrudgingly accepted by the common people, old prejudices persisted stubbornly. Roboto failed to fully win over most of the humans in the guard until a tragic incident proved his true mettle. During a desperate battle against a host of self-replicating robots Skeletor had pilfered from the Forest of Iron, Roboto chose to sacrifice himself to save the rest of the guardsmen. This selfless act in a situation where he could have easily saved himself and let the others perish finally convinced even the most suspicious minds of his good nature, though it seemed, too late.

But Man-At-Arms refused to give up on Roboto yet. He had brought hopelessly wounded guardsmen from the brink of death and back to fighting shape before, and though Roboto's body was broken beyond repair, at least the memory cores holding his personality were still intact. He went to Castle Grayskull to ask if the Sorceress could help him further, and was to his amazement met with not only the Sorceress but a hulking mechanical man standing in the darkness. The Sorceress explained that she was already aware of what had happened and wanted Duncan to use this ancient robotic warrior, defunct since the Second Great War, as a new body for Roboto.

After Man-At-Arms had succeeded in granting Roboto yet another new body, his return was greeted by the entire ranks of the Eternian Guard with a roaring applause. Roboto was granted medal of valor and promoted to the rank of sergeant. As his fellow guards allowed themselves to learn to know him better, Roboto became treated like a normal person rather than a metal monster. His selflessness, tactical prowess and eagerness to help earned him an honored place among the Eternian Guard.
    Last edited by Met-Hild; July 7, 2011 at 09:26am. Reason: fixed spelling