Thread: opinions needed regarding collecting MOTUC

Court Magician

opinions needed regarding collecting MOTUC

Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post this idea or message, but I'm hoping to get opinions and feedback.

I love collecting the line and have been now for about 5-6 years, I don't collect the line as an investment, simply because I love the original cartoon and Mattel toyline. Here's my thought will my collection in the future be worth anything? Or will it be just a pile of plastic that I give away to a Charity or my family will have to discard when I'm in my eighties. Will there be an interested buyer? Another 80 year old looking to find missing pieces to add to his/her collection or will there be a new generation of Heman toy collectors?

Don't get me wrong, I love collecting and I love Masters of the universe toys, but I see people trying to sell collections for $26,000 and higher, so I wonder who is buying those collections. I also collect the vintage and classics lines because I watched and played with them as a child so I have a greater connection.

But my children don't, after numerous attempts to play with them and Heman, they have no interest. There is also no cartoon line pushing the collecting engine forward, like TMNT or Transformers. So who will buy my collection when I'm 80? I see vintage toys selling everywhere and the range from $1 complete figures to $100 complete figures (flea market vendors) I realize there are factors (rarity, condition etc..)

Please feel free to comment or add your thought, comments and opinions. I real would like to see where this discussion can go or really answer the question what is the future of toy collecting - Heman style

thanks everyone

Heroic Warrior
    As someone who had to sell the line a few years ago, but recently got back in, the more popular characters seem to hold their value fine, and some even went up.

Some of the less popular characters (POP and NA in my experience, sorry fans!) are cheaper and often below original cost + shipping, but they're also not worthless (i.e. might go for $15 now instead of original $23).

Complete collections are always a tough sell, because it's a lot to spend at once, and many collectors will already have some of those pieces and don't want dupes.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

A lot of this will depend on how long Masters of the Universe persists as a property in which folks are interested. Most of the current collectors are folks that got into Masters in the 80s, and are now adults with disposable incomes. Our best bet for ensuring that there's someone to whom to "hand on" what we love is sharing our love of this story and these figures and what they meant to us and what they still mean to us.

My children play almost exclusively with vintage (80s and 200x) he-man figures in the bathtub, and love listening to theme song, etc., and I have a number of he-man and she-ra stuff "put back" to give to them as they get older... and hopefully I'll be making fans of them, and so *someone* will want my statues, prints, books, and figures and it will continue to bring them joy and remind them of good times.

...without Mattel doing a reboot, this, in my estimation, is how MotU collecting has a "future" other than just contributing a lot of non-biodegrables to landfills in about 50 years

(Then again, 50 years is a long time... maybe we're thinking about things too far out. Does it make you happy now, and will it in 5 or 10 years? That's probably enough )

MOTU is already a niche property with a relatively small fan base compared to something with widespread media presence like Star Wars. I can only assume that what little interest there currently is in MOTU will only dwindle in the coming years as - unlike Star Wars - there are no new generations embracing it and keeping it fresh. It only exists today as a bit of a stale nostalgia property to a very narrow demographic of mostly males in their late 30s/early 40s. And let's be honest - the movie is NEVER going to happen (and if it does, it will likely be awful) and Mattel has made it pretty obvious that they no longer see the property as a viable one. This doesn't bode well for MOTU's mainstream longevity.

I would guess that we'll start to see secondary market prices drop dramatically in the coming years as the sheen of nostalgia fades and aging collectors more concerned with retirement and hip replacements begin dumping their collections on a market bereft of a younger generation to pick up the reins. As unbelievable as it seems now, trust me - you won't be able to GIVE away a carded MOTUC Shadow Weaver in the future.

That being said, I would advise anyone collecting MOTU toys as such:

If you're collecting as an investment, give some serious thought to selling off sooner than later while there's still a market for this stuff. I don't see young collectors with disposable income caring about MOTU twenty years from now. In fact, I'm not sure if there will be ANY young action figure collectors twenty years from now. This entire hobby seems to be (mostly) specific to the aforementioned demographic of 35-45 year-old men.

If you're collecting for passion, none of this matters. You will derive pleasure from your collection regardless of whether it's worth anything or not, so ENJOY IT. I know I do!
    Last edited by Battle Ham; March 27, 2017 at 02:13pm.
    HEY, SUPER 7! I'M PUTTING MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS! LET'S KICKSTART SNAKE MOUNTAIN!

Court Magician
    great thoughts so far everyone, I do enjoy collecting and it brings me much pleasure. I hope when I'm much older I see one of those very affordably price Shadow Weavers.

Masters for the most part is very generational, you had to grow up at a certain time to want to collect it,. yes there are older and younger fans, but as you get older the interest will wane with the public. I don't see masters having multigenerational appeal like Batman whose been consistently popular for nearly 80 years. Masters is very much an 80s property and will probably stay that way. so I don't foresee many items getting to high dollar mounts , if anything the will lower in years to come
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by hordak88 View Post
    Will my collection in the future be worth anything? Or will it be just a pile of plastic that I give away to a Charity or my family will have to discard when I'm in my eighties. Will there be an interested buyer? Another 80 year old looking to find missing pieces to add to his/her collection or will there be a new generation of Heman toy collectors? So who will buy my collection when I'm 80?
    Basically sell now or leave it in your will that you want to be buried with your collection...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I pretty much agree with everyone else; however, unlike most, I did have a brief chance to share my nostalgic love for MOTU with my youngest nephew while he was pretty young. We played the game on my mom's (his maw maw's) iPad for a while, and I got him the "The Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" dvd that he use to enjoy watching. That being said, he is only 10 now and has already lost interest. Still, I plan to keep collecting and hope to one day pass the collection on to him; not because I think he would want to play with it, but simply as a reminder of time spent with an uncle who loves him (and who he has, consequently, had wrapped around his finger since the day he was born.)

Quote Originally Posted by hordak88 View Post
    Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post this idea or message, but I'm hoping to get opinions and feedback.

I love collecting the line and have been now for about 5-6 years, I don't collect the line as an investment, simply because I love the original cartoon and Mattel toyline. Here's my thought will my collection in the future be worth anything? Or will it be just a pile of plastic that I give away to a Charity or my family will have to discard when I'm in my eighties. Will there be an interested buyer? Another 80 year old looking to find missing pieces to add to his/her collection or will there be a new generation of Heman toy collectors?

Don't get me wrong, I love collecting and I love Masters of the universe toys, but I see people trying to sell collections for $26,000 and higher, so I wonder who is buying those collections. I also collect the vintage and classics lines because I watched and played with them as a child so I have a greater connection.

But my children don't, after numerous attempts to play with them and Heman, they have no interest. There is also no cartoon line pushing the collecting engine forward, like TMNT or Transformers. So who will buy my collection when I'm 80? I see vintage toys selling everywhere and the range from $1 complete figures to $100 complete figures (flea market vendors) I realize there are factors (rarity, condition etc..)

Please feel free to comment or add your thought, comments and opinions. I real would like to see where this discussion can go or really answer the question what is the future of toy collecting - Heman style

thanks everyone
    Well....why are you worrying about this now? Unless, of course, you are 79 and plan on clocking out when you hit 80 next year. Nothing in life is a guarantee and none of us know what's to come further down the road. If you enjoy collecting them now, in the present, don't worry about it. If you feel the collection has become cumbersome and no one you know is interested in inheriting the collection, then sell them. I suggest you just enjoy them for yourself while they are around.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_highful View Post
    I pretty much agree with everyone else; however, unlike most, I did have a brief chance to share my nostalgic love for MOTU with my youngest nephew while he was pretty young. We played the game on my mom's (his maw maw's) iPad for a while, and I got him the "The Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" dvd that he use to enjoy watching. That being said, he is only 10 now and has already lost interest. Still, I plan to keep collecting and hope to one day pass the collection on to him; not because I think he would want to play with it, but simply as a reminder of time spent with an uncle who loves him (and who he has, consequently, had wrapped around his finger since the day he was born.)
    Pretty much same reasons here. Me starting to collect in the first place for myself but I do know that my niece and nephew played with those and can have it the day I'm gone (even though they are very likely to have grown-up children themselves at that point). I just love the nostalgia part and displaying it in the house.

Yeah, I don't see these things being worth a whole lot 40 years from now.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdude

My personal advice would be to just enjoy your collection, and not worry about what's going to happen to it.

Predicting what is going to be 'valuable' is a different ballgame nowadays. Now, people buying multiples of things and keeping them in mint condition is commonplace. Oh, you have an excellent copy of AVENGERS #1? So what? So do 500,000 other people, and many of them have 10 of them. You have a mint condition DR. DOOM on the bubble card? OK, but you can find 600 of them on eBay. It's a different world where collecting is much more of an Everyman thing.

Again, I say just enjoy your collection, and don't worry about years from now.

Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 28, 2017 at 06:26pm.
    Odd Man Out

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Now, people buying multiples of things and keeping them in mint condition is commonplace. Oh, you have an excellent copy of AVENGERS # 1? So what? So do 500,000 other people, and many of them have 10 of them.
    Do you mean Avengers #1 from 1963? Because I don't think 500,000 people have them or 10 copies. I mean, I only have 1 and it's not mint condition...maybe very good/good condition.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Do you mean Avengers #1 from 1963?
    Haha! No....that particular issue is a very different story. I meant a #1 issue from all the endless restarts in the past dozen years.

There are definitely decades old toys and comics that have value to some collectors, but in recent years, 'geek' culture has exploded, it's all about buying and hoarding. Many guys are going to be disappointed when they find out their kids 'college fund' is very common and easy to find.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 28, 2017 at 02:41pm.
    Odd Man Out

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Great topic!

I think it all depends simply on supply and demand. Will there be more people wanting MOTUC than those available in the future? I think a lot of things would have to go right for this to become possible, including:

-brand longevity
    -no newer or better MOTU toylines
    -inability to replicate MOTUC style cheaply through 3D printing of the future
    -desire for a toyline (MOTUC) that pays homage to the original toyline/s (MOTU, POP, NA, 200x)
    -the desire for the character selection in MOTUC
    -long term quality of the plastic (can MOTUC hold up physically for decades?)

Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Yeah, I don't see these things being worth a whole lot 40 years from now.
    Who knows if the plastic will even last that long, unfortunately.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Featuring bios, powers, weaknesses, stats, pictures and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I expect the collections to drop in value over the next few years, as people move on to the next big thing. In the long run? You have no idea how much the 3D printers of the 2030s will change life as we know it.....
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

As I collect them for myself as a fan I expect to keep them until I literally die or if life eventually wears me down to the point where I just cannot own them anymore. It could happen, life is long after all.

So in my head it will be LONG past mattering what happens to this amazing huge MOTUC collection (or any of my collections for that matter).

Just to hash it out though, I see I either sell it while there is someone still alive who that has any reason to care about this probably by then long forgotten line (or maybe it will be fondly purchased due to some unforseen later media that firmly entrenches it into our collective psyche like Star Wars, but I'm not expecting that) or I die and they just get donated to somewhere like goodwill or something so kids can just play with them.

So be it, I bought them because to me they are art and I love them and seeing them and the act of collecting them gives me joy. I can envision a scenario where I would want to sell them but even then I would not expect to make even close to the amount of money I put into it back. If I wanted to sell them that would imply I somehow lost all care for them (which is hard to see but it could happen) so at which point any money made would be a profit since I never intended to "invest" in this. It is a done deal. I spent the money, I got my enjoyment, transaction complete.

I've thought about that more as I get older of course and it does make me sad to think this is all garbage that for now I love and has meaning in the wider world. I look at my beloved CDs and DVDs (and to a lesser extent my small VHS collection) and I think about when I walk through the second hand store and see albums I DIED to want to buy as a younger person but could never afford as much as I wanted, but now, though I still want those albums, cannot bring myself to buy them for 1 tenth their original price, or less. I think about my friends that were DJs and had cases and cases of CDs and how much they "lost" in that investment.

But then I go back to the idea that it is not an investment. They were used for the intended purpose for which they were made and eventually they were made obsolete and did not serve the purpose they needed anymore.

My figures stand there and look awesome. That's all they are ment to do. IF they are no longer awesome they are "worthless" and anything I get would be extra.

If someone wanted money, they better sell them now. After Star Wars basically created the childs toy collector market because they were so rare we are an aging generation of obsessive collectors and I imagine we'll be drowning in this stuff as people start to age out or kick off. If there is a reason anyone younger would still care about these guys (unlike Star Wars I do not assume MOTU will be) maybe we'll get lucky and do ok, or even great here and there, but I already see shows where people have enormous GI Joe collections and desparately try to sell them off as a set but realistically have to peice things out here and there until they have to basically bulk load get rid of the lesser stuff.

I'm going on about this a little long but it really does sorta scare me when I think about what is going to happen to this, the most amazing toyline ever, when I am quite old. I've been to old peoples houses with dusty untouched for decades nick nacks that are tossed out if not donated to charity when the time comes.

On a lighter note that is why I sorta hope I'll get to a point where the gold looses it's luster and when I sell 'em, I'll just be super excited for the ammount of money "outta nowhere" it'll feel like unloading things I do not need anymore. I'd just like to think someone is really happy to have them when that time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    As unbelievable as it seems now, trust me - you won't be able to GIVE away a carded MOTUC Shadow Weaver in the future.
    I am old enough to know this absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    If you're collecting for passion, none of this matters. You will derive pleasure from your collection regardless of whether it's worth anything or not, so ENJOY IT. I know I do!
    Yep.

Court Magician
    Great comments BaronTerror! I have never thought about the VHS comment before. I had a VHS collection, hundreds of movies that I usually only watched once and then it sat on my shelf. As time went on I bought less VHS and moved into DVD again shelf after shelf in the living room. I never thought of that collection as an investment, never once thought I could make some money when I sell these. I just loved collecting and having this massive video library. One day I was having a garage sale and thought I don't watch these anymore, and just like that I made $20 and sold 120 movies in one shot, a fraction of what I paid, but I was thrilled - I think I bought a 1lb hamburger combo from a local eatery, that boasts they are the home of the "pugger burger"

I guess my point is simple - I enjoy collecting heman and if and when the time happens that me and the collection part company, it won't really matter what I get for it (if anything) it already served it's purpose. It brought me pleasure and maybe it goes to another person that will get similar pleasure.

I love this line, and I collect it for that fact only! As others have said here, I don't see the value going up anytime soon. It would have to take a great movie/show to do that, and start a new generation loving MOTU. I share them with my kids, and they enjoy them as well. They will have to deal with my collections (vintage, NA, 200X, and Classics) after I'm gone. I don't plan to sell them. I have tried to set that spark of love for MOTU into them, but it hasn't burned like it did for me. They actually like the 200X version more than any other part of the line. 200X is the version they grew up with, so they identify with it more. They still break out the cartoons every so often.
    My two cents...
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12