Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 050 Discussion!

I'm saving this one for next week's plane ride to San Diego. It will make it go much faster

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'm also keeping my hopes alive for Emil mailer box illustrations! There's nothing wrong with hope, right?
    Definitely! Even if Toyguru has to "stay in his lane", he could at least point out to his team at Matty that Emiliano is not just the 200X guy. His work on the Filmation DVDs and his recent take on the Mer-Man vs Aquaman box art should prove that he is more than capable of delivering whatever style of art they're looking for. Come on Mattel, just give him a chance!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    He takes the good, he takes the bad, he takes them both and there you have
    Scott Neitlich's life, Scott Neitlich's life!
    You should record that song and then open a future episode of RGD with it.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    So why didn´t Val get Frazetta to draw a cover? Val you didn´t complete the answer
    I would assume this cover wouldve been the best
    I love how Eamons screams Neitlich again and again.Hilarious!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We had a pretty barbaric MOTU canon before Mattel changed it up and Filmation showed those changes to everyone through it's cartoon. THAT'S Geewun for MOTU, if we are talking about original canons.

Filmation which catapulted MOTU into the national consciousness is nostalgic. Bayformers which catapulted Transformers into the national consciousness is not nostalgic. That's the only difference between them. They both do the same things.

Both are mass market versions of those canons which "fix" what was the original versions for the mass consumers. Barbarian He-Man is suddenly just as bad as mass shifting Transformers.
    I kinda don't know where to begin with this. Let's see...

1) Four autocontradictory packed-in "minicomics" hardly constitute a "canon".
    1b) If you're going to insist they do, your TF comparison is Beast Wars, not G1 - there were pack-in comics with the first couple of BW toys, and bios with the next few, which set BW on modern Earth as a direct continuation of G1 down to Optimus Primal being G1 Optimus Prime and BW-Megatron being G1-Megatron. The cartoon proceeded to rewrite all this to make them their own guys, and set it on prehistoric Earth through the magic of time-travel (there were still references to the G1 cartoon *and* comics, however, to the point that Starscream & Ravage appeared as characters, and G1 Prime & Megatron became significant plot elements later on).

2) The Sunbow cartoon wasn't the original TF canon. There were on-pack bios if you want to be pedantic, and the Marvel Comics (roughly equivalent to the MotU DC series - except, that is, in length - the US series ran for 80 issues with a later 12 issue continuation as G2, and the UK series ran for 332 issues incorporating both the US G1 stories and original/UK-only stories) also predates the cartoon, which took the bible written by Marvel and freely diverged from it (the Dinobots being a notable example of this).

3) I think you underestimate the popularity of the G1 cartoon at the time (and, hell, even the comics got TV adverts at first). Obviously, the "Bayformer" movies gave the TF brand a giant kick up the backside, but that was a couple of decades later after the dust had settled from that (and the later spikes from BW & Armada).

4) Filmation were just the apogee of a process which was already happening thanks to DC - again, a similarity with the Marvel Transformers there in that they took the DC canon and made further changes in the same vein.

Ultimately, you HUGELY over-estimate the coherence and importance of a few pack-in comics in comparing them to the G1 Transformers cartoon. If there's something that is to G1 Transformers as the early minicomic MotU is to Filmation MotU, it's Diaclone and the other lines (a mix of piloted mecha and ~1:1 role play toys) that Hasbro took moulds from and gave to the likes of Jim Shooter, Denny O'Neil and Bob Budiansky to create a story and characters that became G1 Transformers.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I kinda don't know where to begin with this. Let's see...

1) Four autocontradictory packed-in "minicomics" hardly constitute a "canon".

1b) If you're going to insist they do, your TF comparison is Beast Wars, not G1 - there were pack-in comics with the first couple of BW toys, and bios with the next few, which set BW on modern Earth as a direct continuation of G1 down to Optimus Primal being G1 Optimus Prime and BW-Megatron being G1-Megatron. The cartoon proceeded to rewrite all this to make them their own guys, and set it on prehistoric Earth through the magic of time-travel (there were still references to the G1 cartoon *and* comics, however, to the point that Starscream & Ravage appeared as characters, and G1 Prime & Megatron became significant plot elements later on).

2) The Sunbow cartoon wasn't the original TF canon. There were on-pack bios if you want to be pedantic, and the Marvel Comics (roughly equivalent to the MotU DC series - except, that is, in length - the US series ran for 80 issues with a later 12 issue continuation as G2, and the UK series ran for 332 issues incorporating both the US G1 stories and original/UK-only stories) also predates the cartoon, which took the bible written by Marvel and freely diverged from it (the Dinobots being a notable example of this).

3) I think you underestimate the popularity of the G1 cartoon at the time (and, hell, even the comics got TV adverts at first). Obviously, the "Bayformer" movies gave the TF brand a giant kick up the backside, but that was a couple of decades later after the dust had settled from that (and the later spikes from BW & Armada).

4) Filmation were just the apogee of a process which was already happening thanks to DC - again, a similarity with the Marvel Transformers there in that they took the DC canon and made further changes in the same vein.

Ultimately, you HUGELY over-estimate the coherence and importance of a few pack-in comics in comparing them to the G1 Transformers cartoon. If there's something that is to G1 Transformers as the early minicomic MotU is to Filmation MotU, it's Diaclone and the other lines (a mix of piloted mecha and ~1:1 role play toys) that Hasbro took moulds from and gave to the likes of Jim Shooter, Denny O'Neil and Bob Budiansky to create a story and characters that became G1 Transformers.
    ALL of the media released at the time reflected the same canon, not only the 11 Pre-Filmation minis. There's the stories in the coloring books, the 4 Golden books and the Point Dread record book. NO Adam, Orko and Cringer, we have a blonde Teela, an Elderly Randor and Zoar is his own character, not the Sorceress.

In 1982 to mid 1983, that was MOTU.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

CONGRATULATIONS for No. 50 guys! ...

listening now ...

on the subject of the new movie (re: question by dtowells) ... the new movie should, in my opinion, mix CGI with real-time location shooting (why not? the technology is there, so we should use it) ... as long as they don't try and copy LOTR too much (in my view, uninteresting movies - boring) ... i hope they don't just copy thor either, otherwise they might as well just do a film about vikor ... the key, in my view, is getting the mix right; they will never beat the '87 movie for the way it makes you feel (in my view, but that's because i love the '87 movie) but if they do it right, it will be awesome! ... i hope it stays true to the MOTU story/folk-lore - the worst thing possible they can do is make it a cheese-fest full of the tongue-in-cheek, modernised jokes you see in transformers and x-men (i like the style used in x-men, but not for MOTU) ... stay vintage and stay original ... obviously some humour is essential - but it needs to be done right and it needs to be classy ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; July 13, 2011 at 12:20pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I'm about halfway through and was wondering...

Is anyone else as mortified to hear their own voice as I am????
    Yes, but I blame it on my cell phone.

ALL of the media released at the time reflected the same canon, not only the 11 Pre-Filmation minis. There's the stories in the coloring books, the 4 Golden books and the Point Dread record book. NO Adam, Orko and Cringer, we have a blonde Teela, an Elderly Randor and Zoar is his own character, not the Sorceress.

In 1982 to mid 1983, that was MOTU.
    Uh... DC's MotU #1 came out on the 9th of September 1982* (cover-dated Dec '82). DC Comics Presents #47 came out yet earlier on the 8th of April 1982*, (cover-dated Jul '82). Involving Adam, a talking Cringer, Marlena the human astronaut and a Zoar whose appearance meant Adam had to run to see the Sorceress.

Were they exactly the same as Filmation? No, it was a similar case to Marvel & Sunbow Transformers (save that Marvel TF had more longevity than DC MotU). Filmation tweaked designs (Cringer got his beard, Sorceress got a unique design rather than being a copy of Teela, Randor & Marlena became middle-aged rather than elderly, etc) and made their own additions (Orko came in) - but they were cut from the same cloth, and so the the basis of the Filmation take on things was in publication all the way back in early 1982. Claiming He-Man was a barbarian in the major take as late in 1983 is so much balderdash - Prince Adam, half-human prince of Eternia, was the default by the second half of 1982.

*Dates from: http://www.dcindexes.com/

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Uh... DC's MotU #1 came out on the 9th of September 1982* (cover-dated Dec '82). DC Comics Presents #47 came out yet earlier on the 8th of April 1982*, (cover-dated Jul '82). Involving Adam, a talking Cringer, Marlena the human astronaut and a Zoar whose appearance meant Adam had to run to see the Sorceress.

Were they exactly the same as Filmation? No, it was a similar case to Marvel & Sunbow Transformers (save that Marvel TF had more longevity than DC MotU). Filmation tweaked designs (Cringer got his beard, Sorceress got a unique design rather than being a copy of Teela, Randor & Marlena became middle-aged rather than elderly, etc) and made their own additions (Orko came in) - but they were cut from the same cloth, and so the the basis of the Filmation take on things was in publication all the way back in early 1982. Claiming He-Man was a barbarian in the major take as late in 1983 is so much balderdash - Prince Adam, half-human prince of Eternia, was the default by the second half of 1982.

Are you saying the original mini-comics are like "Bayformers" then? I think that will make MGM's head explode!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I'm about halfway through and was wondering...

Is anyone else as mortified to hear their own voice as I am????
    Nobody likes the sound of their own voice on a recording. Even Homer Simpson...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Are you saying the original mini-comics are like "Bayformers" then? I think that will make MGM's head explode!
    Funny as that would be, I think I'll spare MGM's head and say no

As I said before, the TF equivalent of the original mini-comics... well, BW has a direct counterpart, but for G1 TF, it would be something like Diaclone [For instance, the original Grimlock toy actually has a cockpit for the human who piloted the T-Rex mecha in Diaclone].

It isn't balderdash. I know the DC Comics stuff overlaps both the Pre-Filmation and Filmation Eras, but the Pre-Filmation media was still coming out as far as mid-1983 with The Talon Fighter, Ram Man, Man-E-Faces, Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Just listened to the podcast, and in reference to Dark Shadows, I loved the 90's revival myself. Barbara Steele as Dr. Julia Hoffman was AWESOME! I was crushed when it was cancelled (which many attritbute it's failure to the Gulf War coverage that often pre-empted the episodes).

I'm looking forward to seeing what Burton and Depp do with the the movie. I just hope they don't make it too hokey.
    I loved the 90's revival, and it was so cool to see Barbara Steele in it! I was really disappointed when it got cancelled as it never really had a chance. The second season would have supposedly been really cool with Michael T. Weiss returning to the series, this time as the werewolf Chris Jennings and Adrian Paul returning to the series, this time as the evil ghost of Quentin Collins.

However, even with its "live on tape" flaws, the original classic series will always be the best to me. There was something very ethereal and otherworldly about about it. Jonathan Frid just IS Barnabas and the creepy, interweaving storylines they did in that show were fantastic fun to watch.

I'm also cautiously looking forward to the Burton/Depp film. I'm banking on the fact that both of them are huge fans of the classic series and will stay true to its spooky, gothic tone. Johnny Depp always struck me more as a Quentin, but it'll be interesting to see his take on Barnabas. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann
    I agree. Too bad it came out on a day where the entertainment world is mourning the loss of Sherwood Schwartz, the creator of Brady Bunch

The comment about how the Power Sword is imbued with all the different "He-Man" through the ages. That makes me think of Transformers and The Autobot Matrix of Leadership. MOTUC doesn't need to borrow from other properties. Bad enough we're getting Green Lantern.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I loved the 90's revival, and it was so cool to see Barbara Steele in it! I was really disappointed when it got cancelled as it never really had a chance. The second season would have supposedly been really cool with Michael T. Weiss returning to the series, this time as the werewolf Chris Jennings and Adrian Paul returning to the series, this time as the evil ghost of Quentin Collins.

However, even with its "live on tape" flaws, the original classic series will always be the best to me. There was something very ethereal and otherworldly about about it. Jonathan Frid just IS Barnabas and the creepy, interweaving storylines they did in that show were fantastic fun to watch.

I'm also cautiously looking forward to the Burton/Depp film. I'm banking on the fact that both of them are huge fans of the classic series and will stay true to its spooky, gothic tone. Johnny Depp always struck me more as a Quentin, but it'll be interesting to see his take on Barnabas. We shall see.

I'd heard Adrian Paul was to be Quentin, but I had no idea Michael T. Weiss would have been back as Chris Jennings! I thought for sure he'd have been Jeff Clark. I like the twist of Chris better.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Thanks for 50 fabulous episodes!

I love the listener email/voice mail episodes, they spawn such amazing discussions.

Scott’s appearance was a welcome surprise, I simply don’t understand it when I see negativity toward TG, he may not be perfect but I can’t imagine a better advocate @ Mattel for the fans of MOTU.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar

Micheal T. Weiss was going to come back? That's interesting. And odd, considering that Joe just died in the first season. It makes you wonder why they didn't just cast him as Chris Jennings in the first place.

In terms of ghosts, I thought for sure we would see Rev. Trask come back as ghost if there was a second season. Considering how he died, I thought for sure he would've come back to seek vengeance on Barnabas.

wow, that was one very entertaining, not to mention delightfully lengthy episode !!!

Hopefully Mattel reconsiders hiring Emiliano, I'd love to see him draw a series of MOTUC art cards
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Danielle – Starshine is totally right

Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Another grand episode guys!

Danielle, that weapons pack you had as as a kid was from a line called 'Dragons, Daggers, and Galaxies'. (Or something to that effect...) There were TWO sets made, one set cast in all gold/bronze, and one in gray/iron - we have both! I think they were made to go along with the Remco/MOTU guys. There are some VERY cool weapons in those packs for sure, that spiked baseball bat and Celtic hammer are WICKED!
    Aren't these the weapons you were referring to?

"Dragons, Knights & Daggers" and "Robots, Lasers, and Galaxies" by Imperial - I got the same stuff from a little (over priced) Mom and Pop Toy Store when I was a kid.

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/r/rob...otslasers.html
    http://actionfiguresca.proboards.com...ay&thread=8908
    http://actionfiguresca.proboards.com...int&thread=253
    http://gijoetoysnfigures.com/24150

It isn't balderdash. I know the DC Comics stuff overlaps both the Pre-Filmation and Filmation Eras,...
    That's not what you said. You were drawing a direct comparison between the Sunbow "G1" Transformers cartoon vs. "Bayformers" and "Barbarian He-Man" vs. Filmation He-Man, while ignoring the fact that Prince Adam goes back at least a full year in publication than you credited (Since you claimed that "ALL of the media released [in 1982 to mid 1983] reflected the same canon, not only the 11 Pre-Filmation minis." Which we've now established is not true.)

A couple of other points:
    1) The Transformers cartoon was based on a story bible put together by Marvel Comics, which had been the basis for Marvel's own comic series which came first. Ergo, the TFG1 cartoon wasn't the original TF fiction, but served to popularise TFs to a massive degree. You're comparing this to a few short toy pack-in comics - the first of which was a picturebook rather than an actual comic! - which no-one who hadn't already bought the toy would see.

2) The "Bayformers" movie came along almost a quarter of a century later after more than ten post-G1 cartoons (BW, BM, RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron and five untranslated Japanese series - Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, BW2 and BWNeo), during which time the Transformers brand had waxed and waned between outright death (post-G2, pre-BW) and big spikes (BW, RiD, possibly Armada) and was a live-action PG-13 movie, followed by a couple more two years apart. The Filmation cartoon came along less than eighteen months after the initial brand wave, and was a weekday cartoon aimed at children. Hardly the same thing.

3) "Mass-shifting Transformers" was an artefact of the original Transformers toys coming from different lines rather than something planned - they picked the Microchange gun to be the lead bad guy and the Diaclone lorry to the lead good guy simply on the basis that they were big toys which were about the same size as each other in robot mode, and while they'd never entirely dumped it, they had scaled its use down hugely in the intervening years - the Beast Warriors were entirely scaled for their robot modes in the cartoon, leading to giant rats and mini T-Rexes, and Megatron & Soundwave have never had "small" alt modes in a mainline since their originals (Megatrons have been T-Rexes, Dragons, tanks, helicopters, a Batmobile and a giant hand, while Cybertron Soundwave was a stealth bomber and Animated Soundwave a small car).

That's not what you said. You were drawing a direct comparison between the Sunbow "G1" Transformers cartoon vs. "Bayformers" and "Barbarian He-Man" vs. Filmation He-Man, while ignoring the fact that Prince Adam goes back at least a full year in publication than you credited (Since you claimed that "ALL of the media released [in 1982 to mid 1983] reflected the same canon, not only the 11 Pre-Filmation minis." Which we've now established is not true.)
    Okay, not all of it, but that's semantics, 'Boot. I wasn't 100% accurate, but you know what I mean. In 1982, we had books, mini-comics, coloring books and other media, with more that came around in 1983, that followed the Barbarian He-Man storyline.

A couple of other points:
    1) The Transformers cartoon was based on a story bible put together by Marvel Comics, which had been the basis for Marvel's own comic series which came first. Ergo, the TFG1 cartoon wasn't the original TF fiction, but served to popularise TFs to a massive degree. You're comparing this to a few short toy pack-in comics - the first of which was a picturebook rather than an actual comic! - which no-one who hadn't already bought the toy would see.
    Practically all the media released when the line started was based around Barbarian He-Man. That was more than the first four Alcala mini-comics.

2) The "Bayformers" movie came along almost a quarter of a century later after more than ten post-G1 cartoons (BW, BM, RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron and five untranslated Japanese series - Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, BW2 and BWNeo), during which time the Transformers brand had waxed and waned between outright death (post-G2, pre-BW) and big spikes (BW, RiD, possibly Armada) and was a live-action PG-13 movie, followed by a couple more two years apart. The Filmation cartoon came along less than eighteen months after the initial brand wave, and was a weekday cartoon aimed at children. Hardly the same thing.
    Transformers might have a bigger history, but Bayformers reached more audiences than the cartoons did.

The similarity is that both brands received a huge boost from a new canon that reaches more people than ever. For Transformers, which was already successful, it was Bayformers that has made Transformers more successful than ever For MOTU, it was already successful until the Filmation cartoon made it even bigger. That is where they are similar.

3) "Mass-shifting Transformers" was an artefact of the original Transformers toys coming from different lines rather than something planned - they picked the Microchange gun to be the lead bad guy and the Diaclone lorry to the lead good guy simply on the basis that they were big toys which were about the same size as each other in robot mode, and while they'd never entirely dumped it, they had scaled its use down hugely in the intervening years - the Beast Warriors were entirely scaled for their robot modes in the cartoon, leading to giant rats and mini T-Rexes, and Megatron & Soundwave have never had "small" alt modes in a mainline since their originals (Megatrons have been T-Rexes, Dragons, tanks, helicopters, a Batmobile and a giant hand, while Cybertron Soundwave was a stealth bomber and Animated Soundwave a small car).
    Since the Transformers depicted in the movies aren't role-playing items anymore and don't mass shift into 30' robots, that was why I made the comparison with Barbarian He-Man.

hiya Penny

Did you know there was a comic book series based on the revival series as well(I forget who published it)? Hermes Press just started reprinting the classic tie-ins

Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    If you haven't noticed, "Robo Eamon" is/was a regular feature on many of the episodes already! All Val needs to do now is to add the track "domo arigato mr roboto" by Styx in the backgrounds whenever Eamon gets hit by the Techno-virus!
    No, I mean Robo Eamon should be doing the fan art of the week or something.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Micheal T. Weiss was going to come back? That's interesting. And odd, considering that Joe just died in the first season. It makes you wonder why they didn't just cast him as Chris Jennings in the first place.

In terms of ghosts, I thought for sure we would see Rev. Trask come back as ghost if there was a second season. Considering how he died, I thought for sure he would've come back to seek vengeance on Barnabas.
    Not sure if you saw the original series, but, right after Vicky returned to the present, she met a man who looked identical to Peter, named Jeff Clark. He however looked nothing like Joe Haskell, who was cousins to twins Chris and Tom Jennings, who turned out to be Collins descendants from the other side of the family. Part of the charm was that even when a character died, the actor got to stay either as a reincarnation, or co-incarnation.

And we no doubt would have seen more of Trask. His ghost, as well as the descendants always plagued the Collins family.
    I love an all inclusive canon!