Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 050 Discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    No, I mean Robo Eamon should be doing the fan art of the week or something.
    Even better.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    The comment about how the Power Sword is imbued with all the different "He-Man" through the ages. That makes me think of Transformers and The Autobot Matrix of Leadership. MOTUC doesn't need to borrow from other properties. Bad enough we're getting Green Lantern.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to protest.

That was an idea I had a WHILE ago.

Nothing in the bios suggested that they were going with this idea, and I posted aabout how I thought that would be really cool... each 'he-man' would use the sword, and his/her unique powers would affect the sword, and the sword would affect the user.

Then later we'd get Ice Armor He-man... perhaps a manifestation of Vikor's powers in the sword.

Too bad I can't get paid for ideas
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    The only thing from this episode that really jumped out at me enough to cause me to comment was the whole "Sword of Power takes traits from each holder" idea.

HORRIBLE!

This isn't TF, and it isn't the Matirx. It is a stand-alone source of power that was GUARDED by chosen protectors throughout the ages. NOT a siphon that took on their traits.

Don't we have enough "sampling" from other media *cough* Green Lantern *cough* without stealing from another?

Ugh.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    amen Brother!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
    Another grand episode guys!

Danielle, that weapons pack you had as as a kid was from a line called 'Dragons, Daggers, and Galaxies'. (Or something to that effect...) There were TWO sets made, one set cast in all gold/bronze, and one in gray/iron - we have both! I think they were made to go along with the Remco/MOTU guys. There are some VERY cool weapons in those packs for sure, that spiked baseball bat and Celtic hammer are WICKED!

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast
    Aren't these the weapons you were referring to?
    Thanks a million Regina and 80's Enthusiast!! That is EXACTLY what they are!

I had almost forgotten about the crazy spiked baseball bat and that weird bone hand rake!

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy
    Did you know there was a comic book series based on the revival series as well(I forget who published it)? Hermes Press just started reprinting the classic tie-ins
    Yep, I have all of the revival comics and a bunch of the vintage ones! The vintage DS comics are, overall, not great in that they are very inconsistent with continuity but they're still fun. Unfortunately, the one DS panel at SDCC is happening at the exact same time as the Org fan get-together. Since I really must party hardy, I'll have to miss the panel. It'll be a Hermes Press panel and Lara Parker aka Angelique and Kathryn Leigh Scott aka Maggie Evans/Josette will be there. I was shocked to hear there wasn't anything planned for the Burton/Depp film at SDCC though. You'd think there'd be something.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I was shocked to hear there wasn't anything planned for the Burton/Depp film at SDCC though. You'd think there'd be something.
    I think a lot of that has to do with they are knee deep in production now, from what I've read. Maybe they just don't want to interrupt the process too much. It seems like a glaring omission to me as well, though.

The only thing from this episode that really jumped out at me enough to cause me to comment was the whole "Sword of Power takes traits from each holder" idea.

HORRIBLE!

This isn't TF, and it isn't the Matirx. It is a stand-alone source of power that was GUARDED by chosen protectors throughout the ages. NOT a siphon that took on their traits.

Don't we have enough "sampling" from other media *cough* Green Lantern *cough* without stealing from another?

Ugh.

While I agree that there is far too much "borrowing" from other stories in the MOTUC canon right now, I don't think the sword being adaptive is a terrible idea.

It originally contained "the power if the universe." It them absorbed King Grayskull's powers. It then absorbed "the wisdom and knowledge of the Elders."

I just think it's cool that the color changes according to who is using/guarding it, and that each warrior adds something to it's power.

Then you have Adam/He-Man with advantages he might not have had. Are the original powers enough to give him Battle Armor or Ice Armor? Sure. But it is a cool way, in this canon, which is attempting to establish a consistent history of he-men, to honor those past guardsmen and women.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

HORRIBLE!
    I don't particularly "love" the idea myself, but IF we are going to have this "multiple He-Men" plotline (which I really don't care for in the first place), then it may as well work that way. Regardless of how similar it is to TF, it still seems a lot better than many of the ideas actually presented in the bios.

I kind of got the vibe from the podcast that this is how most everyone participating felt... not particularly thrilled with the multiple He-Men plotline, but that this is a decent way to go IF that has to be the plotline.

I also don't think it's much more lame than the idea (as present in the MYP cartoon) that King Grayskull climbed some mountains and went through a handful of other arbitrary and (from an "all powerful" standpoint) pedestrian trials, and this somehow proved the "power" that he has that was then somehow transferred to the sword for Adam to eventually use. I have a love/hate relationship with that episode.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Bayformers which catapulted Transformers into the national consciousness is not nostalgic.
    Bayformers is nostalgic for me. It makes me nostalgic for what I used to empty into my diapers 34 years ago.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Bayformers is nostalgic for me. It makes me nostalgic for what I used to empty into my diapers 34 years ago.
    Ouch. That's a lot of metal and explosions.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

It's nostalgic for me too. It makes me nostalgic for when blockbuster movies were actually good, fun, and even watchable rather than mega million dollar money making schemes.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Listened and enjoyed. Catching up on rgb from the beginning but had to take a break from older eps to hear #50. Good stuff and very cool of toy guru to pop in as well as the last four callers.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

MOTU was already a successful toyline, but Filmation made it MEGA successful.
    Transformers was already a successful toyline, but Bayformers made it MEGA successful.

With that comparison, now you see how the people who aren't so enamored with Filmation view that show when it comes to MOTU.
    I think this is an excellent comparison, personally. Honestly, the thing that turned me off from rgb in the beginning and why I am now playing catch up is that it so often comes across a a filmation lovefest. In the world of a kid, one to two years is easily long enough to set a continuity. My motu world was the original barbarian canon and in my opinion, filmation has been the series' worst reboot. He-man will never be Adam to me... I know I am in a very small minority on that one.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    While I agree that there is far too much "borrowing" from other stories in the MOTUC canon right now, I don't think the sword being adaptive is a terrible idea.

It originally contained "the power if the universe." It them absorbed King Grayskull's powers. It then absorbed "the wisdom and knowledge of the Elders."

I just think it's cool that the color changes according to who is using/guarding it, and that each warrior adds something to it's power.

Then you have Adam/He-Man with advantages he might not have had. Are the original powers enough to give him Battle Armor or Ice Armor? Sure. But it is a cool way, in this canon, which is attempting to establish a consistent history of he-men, to honor those past guardsmen and women.
    Didn't the sword of power also combine with the sword of the ancients (that kinda looked like the Thundercats sword) in the Masks of Power episode?

Reclusive Wizard logandelanoche's Avatar
    Nice loooooong (in a good way) episode! I'm always glad to hear Ms. Dreadful and though I still lament the absent Emiliano, getting to hear her more often is a great trade-off!

Speaking of Emiliano, I know he's not doing the podcast anymore, but is it possible to hear him as a guest, or perhaps with some pre-recorded snippets edited in? I'd love to hear him give backgrounds and history lessons for some of your discussion topics now and then. For instance, let's just say you're discussing the Megator figure. Before you folks get started, a little clip of Emiliano telling us about the origins of the character in the original cannon would be a great way to start the topic off and it would be not unlike the listener voicemails segments you already do. Just a suggestion. I know you all already have so much on your plates, I hate to be the jerk that asks for more, but I really do miss the historical expertise (among other things) that he'd bring to the table.

Also, I think I like the show better without the Fan Art (or as Eamon would say, Farn Art lol), Collectibles, or Web Spotlights that you used to do. Though enjoyable, they always felt sort of shoe-horned in, and broke up the pace and mood of the discussions/show.

Thanks again for this, and the previous 49 shows! They've been great and I appreciate the effort! Take Care and I'll see you (well, some of you) in San Diego!
    LSD <-----This is my cool signature

Quote Originally Posted by logandelanoche View Post
    I hate to be the jerk that asks for more
    ... what about being a poor, lovable orphan instead
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

[QUOTE=Penny Dreadful;2755660]Thanks a million Regina and 80's Enthusiast!! That is EXACTLY what they are!

I had almost forgotten about the crazy spiked baseball bat and that weird bone hand rake!

My Mom used to ask me if I wanted that all the time. I would say no, then she would insist, "but Jason, it comes with a back scratcher!" Ahhh Memories!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

My first time commenting on the podcast but I've been religiously listen to these since they started. It's just nice to hear other people talk extensively about He-Man, something I'll never hear among my friends since I'm the only one who was/still is a fan.

The whole fiasco with the passed down powers from past He-Men don't really bother me that much, but then you guys are comparing it to Transformers which honestly I've never been into even as a kid so I've no frame of reference . But it sounds like it could be a viable excuse for when/hopefully the video game gets made, to how he would attain new abilities or power ups as a video game mechanic. But we'll see.

Hearing about how Val tried to get Geoff Johns to write MOTU would have been interesting, but who do you think he would have written to get killed in the first issue the Horde shows up? But did Val attempt to get Joe Jusko for cover art? He also would have been perfect for doing MOTU, I tried to commission him to do Teela for me at a con but made the mistake going on Sunday . Now I'm really sad I won't make it to Power Con, I really would love to meet Earl Norem, and autograph my books and complete my own collection of sketchbook autographs.
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Listening now... about an hour into it... just wanted to say I think its really cool Scott called in, really neat.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I got kinda annoyed listening to Scott being harped on about Mattel letting Emiliano do art though... would it be cool? sure, but he seemed like he was trying to be polite and he kept getting prodded about it...
    Odds, Bobs, Hammer and Tongs!

Reclusive Wizard logandelanoche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    ... what about being a poor, lovable orphan instead
    Kill my parents, and I can be that. They've served their purpose...

I'll work on the lovable part
    LSD <-----This is my cool signature

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post

It's nostalgic for me too. It makes me nostalgic for when blockbuster movies were actually good, fun, and even watchable rather than mega million dollar money making schemes.
    "you kids get off my lawn!"

Sorry, it had to be done
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior Horde Trooper 84's Avatar
    Wow I feel so honoured to have my email read out on the podcast! and by none other that the sultry Penny!

next time she should read all the emails in that posh english accent!

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    But did Val attempt to get Joe Jusko for cover art?
    Nope. I didn't ask Joe Jusko. There was a reason, but I forgot what it was. It was something like not being able to get ahold of his contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Nope. I didn't ask Joe Jusko. There was a reason, but I forgot what it was. It was something like not being able to get ahold of his contact info.
    What about S. Clay Wilson? I totally suggested him to you when you asked which artists we wanted to see for the covers.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    "you kids get off my lawn!"

Sorry, it had to be done
    Yep.

In the official canon, Count Marzo is trapped in the body of an old man.

In the official real life, Count Marzo's is now trapped with the mind of an old man. I blame the combination of nostalgia as well as nearly everything new sucking hard....or is that nostalgia?! AHHHHH!#@!RFG
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

There's not an episode for weeks, I go on holiday for a week and like four are released and I didn't have Internet access to download them :hmolol: Would have been great to listen to you guys while chillin on the beach.

Just listened to this one, that intro music is really sweet, the best yet on RGD I think, I will definitely be checking out Autumn Diver!

Was great to hear from Scott, but was surprised to hear him say some people think Emilliano has a 200x lable! If Emilliano is 200x then surly by that rationing the 4HM are! Emilliano can and has done amazing classic/vintage style artwork!

Speaking of Emilliano, I hope he come back as a guest for The Faceless One's bio discussion as it has taken a lot from the comics so I know Emilliano would be able to give some great insights.

I'd be open to Mosquitor wings but really want the blood tanks and little arms (like Buzz-Off and Webstor).

The NA figure I'm most looking forward to is Darius, he was a main character in the UK comics and I was always disappointed he wasn't in the cartoon and his figure show on the back of the toy boxes was never released.

Here is Emilliano's 200x Sweet Bee design you taked about. I think it would have been perfect for 200x but its not the Sweet Bee I'd want in Classics.

IMO the movie should definitely look at MYP as one of it sources as well as the comics and Filmation, now classics real names please but I think it could use a mix of location and CG, or even locations enhanced with CG.

Claw Attack Stratos was IMO one of few really good repaints in the 200x line! I loved the big claw weapon and the helmet, though the sliver visored helmet on the prototype in the pics below was much better ther the clear one that ended up on the figure, I was really gutted about that at the time. If we got a Stratos rerelease I'd love him to come with that claw, helmet and the Staff of Avion.

We don't have Movie Phone in the UK so Movie Phone Val just reminded me of that Seinfeld episode

Last edited by 13977; July 17, 2011 at 08:16am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26