Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 051 Discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yeah, you're right.
    It couldn't have simply been us joking around with the humorous generalizations this very community has created over the past couple of years to help ease tension.

KEYBOARD WARRIOR!!! Love it.
    To be honest, I do sometimes feel a little bit singled-out whenever you guys mention stuff about "keyboard warriors" and "sexism", mainly because I'm probably the person that some folks would strongly associate with the discussions that gave rise to those catchphrases/words.

I kind of have somewhat of an "icky" feeling whenever I hear that stuff, due to the fact that those same jokes were happening in the middle of me trying to discuss topics that were important to me, thus making the focus more about the jokes than the subjects at hand, and then I'm pretty sure those cracks were repeated between then and this podcast.

Maybe you guys and gals won't understand because you're not really "at the heart of" these discussions on Roast Gooble, so far as being the ones to originate a topic that didn't go so well and/or that turned into something humorous.

I guess I'm not really opposed to joking around once or twice about the same type of things, so long as all of you can handle being on the "receiving" end once in awhile as well, but I've found that's usually not the case. I mean, there were totally some joke-worthy moments that emerged over several months out the whole MVC vs Mattel debacle, but I dare not say anything because some folks couldn't even handle a little comparison that I made. Suddenly the mood changed and the sentiment was: "This is a serious topic that needs to be dropped. Don't go there." type of thing.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Now I want a MOTUC Skeleton Warrior or two too!

I've already got one of those Revoltech Skeleton Swordsmen, which is a super-articulated version of the Harryhousen skeleton warriors from Jason and the Argonauts, and though it's thoroughly awesome, it's too small to be posed with MOTUCs. I'ts more in the 5" scale actually, as seen in the pic below:

I'm sure the 4 Horsemen could pull off something like it too, though the huge amount of tooling required might prevent it in the MOTUC line. Maybe if they did a big warrior skeleton in their Gothitropolis toyline and made it just close enough to pass for Skeletor's skeleton warrior...
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Tallstar:

We really can't control it if a person chooses to feel they are the subject matter. But I wish you or anyone else that takes it personally wouldn't do that. There are needless arguments that happen on the forum between users for that very reason.

The only way I see someone taking it personally is if they are guilty of something.

Take the sexism thing... truth be told, whoever made those comments deserves to feel bad about it. A person can't fire a gun at the 4H then put their hands up in the air and act innocent when the 4H turn around to see who took the shot.

That aside, I suppose you could make a humorous generalization about us using humorous generalizations to make light of those who were generalizing other fans in the first place. But damn, how deep does this rabbit hole go?

The only way I see someone taking it personally is if they are guilty of something.

Take the sexism thing... truth be told, whoever made those comments deserves to feel bad about it. A person can't fire a gun at the 4H then put their hands up in the air and act innocent when the 4H turn around to see who took the shot.
    Well, I've already publicly taken responsibility for being one of the folks who used the word, even though there wasn't any malicious intent behind it.

I mean, as I explained a couple times, I originally used the word "favoritism" to describe what I was feeling in a past thread, but that didn't go so well either, because some folks thought I was dancing around using the "sexism" word. hehe

So really, if I felt strongly about this particular issue and wanted to see changes, how was I supposed to state my case without some folks drawing the same conclusion? But anyhow, the 4H are fine with me, according to Cornboy. I already talked to him about this.

Moreover, when the team behind MOTUC are asked how they feel about getting word of negative comments, it's almost as if folks are speaking about everyone else, but in fairness some of the Roast Gooblers have done stuff along the same lines, just not in connection with the Four Horsemen.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    I'm probably partially to blame.

I like to use all the generalizations around here and turn them into catch phrases and throw the ol ™ after them.

It happens when you are a self proclaimed Vintage Purist™ as well as a Matty® Apologist™. Also spending lots of time in the chatroom joking around about it doesn't help as well.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

You sexist, keyboard warrior, Matty Apologists!!!!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I'm probably partially to blame.

I like to use all the generalizations around here and turn them into catch phrases and throw the ol ™ after them.

It happens when you are a self proclaimed Vintage Purist™ as well as a Matty® Apologist™. Also spending lots of time in the chatroom joking around about it doesn't help as well.
    Once in awhile it's all good; by no means do I lack a sense of humor, but (and this isn't really anything that's specific to you, sir. ), often times, it's gotten to the point where I can't discuss the topics I find important, without seeing a string of sarcastic replies, or some kind of attempts to minimize what I'm trying to say through humor.

As I said earlier, I guess it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same jokes over and over again, and if some of the people on the show could take a joke too, regarding topics they were personally invested in, but my experience has been that the MVC/Mattel ordeal is off-limits.

I mean, remember the very public "back and forth" that took place in one of the prior Roast Gooble threads? I don't think it would have gone over very well if I tried to make catch-phrases out of some of the stuff that was said there, made sarcastic remarks, tossed-out humorous gifs etc., and then repeatedly brought up said remarks in other places over many months. It just seems a little bit unfair that nothing *I* say is off-limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It just seems a little bit unfair that nothing *I* say is off-limits.
    As much as I like you, you aren't the subject of our jokes on the podcast. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    In my canon, you're all keyboard warriors who are blinded by nostalgia. Still, you gotta admit it's horny though.

Honestly, none of what we were saying was directed at anyone. We were just goofing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo
    LOL! You are like the catchphrase classicizer machine™ dear Count!

BTW - Not that it matters, but I was slightly off on my dates. Pretty sure I joined the mailing list in late '96 not in '97. I found an email to jtqsorceress in which I reference the list and the email is dated Nov. '96. I think I left the list in early '99 (which is when I left my job in Boston and was mostly without internet).

Penny Dreadful ®

I personally just find something to offend me. Especially when I don't get what I when I want it. And if I still dont' get what I want when I want it, I'm going to call names. Yeah, see if it doesn't work!!!

P.S. Go RGD, GO! Penny, you rock, and Val, when you speak, I feel sexually satisifed, you stud muffin. Pixel Dan is cool, and Eamon, well, I don't even dare compliment him, even if he is funny at times (so I guess I just did compliment him).

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    and Val, when you speak, I feel sexually satisifed, you stud muffin.
    You're starting to scare me.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    In my canon, you're all keyboard warriors who are blinded by nostalgia. Still, you gotta admit it's horny though.
    Little known fact, Penny D. It was our very own Count Marzo who sitting next to you on the bus that fateful day!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

As much as I like you, you aren't the subject of our jokes on the podcast. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    I think this is kind of missing my point.

While the jokes may not be about me directly, what I was trying to say is that they bring the focus back to not-so-fun times on the boards (for me personally), and sort of encourage this stuff to happen in future threads.

I'm sure it's fun for you guys and gals, but I really think it would be a different story if the humor was derived from a MVC/Mattel discussion, mainly because some of you were personally invested in that, and it reminds of bad times. That can't happen though, because the topic is treated as a highly serious matter that's off-limits, so catch-phrases etc. can't come into existence and then be repeated. That's what I mean.

I'm not feeling guilty as you suggested earlier. In general I really enjoy Roast Gooble, but I'm feeling like I can't make a joke in return. And occasionally some of you come down on other people for something that you guys have done as well.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Little known fact, Penny D. It was our very own Count Marzo who sitting next to you on the bus that fateful day!

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin."

when it's horny.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I think this is kind of missing my point.

While the jokes may not be about me directly, what I was trying to say is that they bring the focus back to not-so-fun times on the boards (for me personally), and sort of encourage this stuff to happen in future threads.

I'm sure it's fun for you guys and gals, but I really think it would be a different story if the humor was derived from a MVC/Mattel discussion, mainly because some of you were personally invested in that, and it reminds of bad times. That can't happen though, because the topic is treated as a highly serious matter that's off-limits, so catch-phrases etc. can't come into existence and then be repeated. That's what I mean.

I'm not feeling guilty as you suggested earlier. In general I really enjoy Roast Gooble, but I'm feeling like I can't make a joke in return. And occasionally some of you come down on other people for something that you guys have done as well.
    You have to consider that joking about MV/Mattel would be about key individuals directly, where these jokes on the podcast aren't supposed to be about you directly. It's not the same.

But I feel where you are coming from about it serving as a memory trigger. And my apologies. It'll go away over time. Just like the MV/Mattel stuff faded over time, this will too. Another thing to consider is this is a back log of episodes. So conversation is relevant to the discussion when recorded. So some of it is older.

You're starting to scare me.
    You know who has my heart on these forums . . .

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Uh oh! The Battle Cat's out of the bag now.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    You have to consider that joking about MV/Mattel would be about key individuals directly, where these jokes on the podcast aren't supposed to be about you directly. It's not the same.

But I feel where you are coming from about it serving as a memory trigger. And my apologies. It'll go away over time. Just like the MV/Mattel stuff faded over time, this will too. Another thing to consider is this is a back log of episodes. So conversation is relevant to the discussion when recorded. So some of it is older.
    Precisely! Sorry if anyone got offended. We were just being goofballs.

I guess I would ask that you guys and gals have a little bit more forethought in the future.

You have to understand that, for me in particular, it's somewhat difficult to listen to certain segments of Roast Gooble, such as the discussions in previous episodes (and on the boards directly) that pertain to posting etiquette...

You know, respecting your fellow board members, how to phrase posts so as not to create an argument and all that other fun stuff.

Well, I can't take any of that seriously. How can I when comments like 'stupid member ideas' are allowed to stand on these boards, just because my name isn't being mentioned? (With or without my name, it's not being respectful)

So, getting back to the point... if I were to make any jokes about the MVC/Mattel scenario, it would seem I'm in-line with the established rules if I leave names out of my post.

Just something to think about.

I guess I would ask that you guys and gals have a little bit more forethought in the future.

You have to understand that, for me in particular, it's somewhat difficult to listen to certain segments of Roast Gooble, such as the discussions in previous episodes (and on the boards directly) that pertain to posting etiquette...

You know, respecting your fellow board members, how to phrase posts so as not to create an argument and all that other fun stuff.

Well, I can't take any of that seriously. How can I when comments like 'stupid member ideas' are allowed to stand on these boards, just because my name isn't being mentioned? (With or without my name, it's not being respectful)

So, getting back to the point... if I were to make any jokes about the MVC/Mattel scenario, it would seem I'm in-line with the established rules if I leave names out of my post.

Just something to think about.

Once again, the MV/Mattel thing is not the same. Leaving out names won't change who that involves. But our jokes on the show are vague generalizations. They don't apply to any one person, nor do they reference any one event. Maybe you can pinpoint such an event, but I am confident in saying neither we or the vast majority of fans could do that.

So on the flipside, I ask that you try not to apply our general comments directly to yourself. I'll try to keep your request in mind. But it's practically impossible for us to measure every word because have to fear there is someone out there who is going to find offense.

We can't live our lives like that, and I really don't think you should either.
    I really recommend doing your best to let it go. Otherwise, the more you beat the drum, the more people will hear the tune. Then people will associate you with those terms, whether they are a joke or not! And none of us want that.

Once again, the MV/Mattel thing is not the same. Leaving out names won't change who that involves. But our jokes on the show are vague generalizations.

I'll try to keep your request in mind. But it's practically impossible for us to measure every word because have to fear there is someone out there who is going to find offense.
    Again, I'm just telling you guys how those comments in particular make me feel when I hear them, and explaining some of the side-effects I'm encountering on the forums because of them.

I don't know what else to say.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    To change the tune for a second (and not to take away from Tallstar, because I do understand what he's saying in a way.), I absolutely agree with the skeleton warriors making sense regardless of era. Skeletor is a sorceror and his reanimation of the dead works well regardless of the era. And the Emiliano design in the comic would be freaking awesome as an army builder - not using the muscly buck.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post
    To change the tune for a second (and not to take away from Tallstar, because I do understand what he's saying in a way.)
    Thanks, man. It's totally fine.

I dunno. It's just that certain qualities are expected out of me when these rude/sarcastic comments come my way, that no other person on the show has to live up to.

I'm expected to be this strong person who never takes anything personally, but it's a different story when the shoe is on the other foot.

I mean, seriously. People have free reign to say whatever they want to me. And it's not as if anyone is stepping in to say: "hey, that was kinda harsh." But yet, I have to be mindful of who I'm mentioning...in a joke.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    Concussion Blast!

I just wanted to say it...

I was on the mailing list way back in the fall of '97... you gotta admit it's horny though.

EPISODE 051
    Runtime: 1 hour, 48 minutes, 21 seconds
    There are no Collectibles, Fan Sites, nor Fan Arts of the Week for this episode.

Your hosts: Val Staples A.K.A. JVS3; Danielle Gelehrter, A.K.A. Penny Dreadful; "Pixel Dan" Eardley; and Eamon O'Donoghue.
    Discussion: Clawful, The Faceless One, Megator, and Man-E-Faces bios.
    Intro and outro song: "Breakout" on The Hunger by Savage House, featuring forum member Chris Faccone!

Items of Note:
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley