Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 052 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 052 Discussion!

Episode 052 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.
    Plus, the crew enjoys a special guest appearance by Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich!"

Over the course of the show the crew touches on topics such as
    Power-Con/ThunderCon guests,
    Mattel influence on the 4H,
    200x and MOTUC,
    Disco Skeletor,
    planning out the MOTUC release schedule,
    "Buy a 200x Day,"
    SDCC swag,
    a new movie Skeletor's voice
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    (none)

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    Zodac

Intro/Outro info:
    Song: Cruise Control
    Album: New World
    Band: Stations Stories
    Available to purchase on iTunes, Amazon, Napster, eMusic and Rhapsody!
    ***Please support these Artists! Many are fans of MOTU and POP, and some are fans here in our community.

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Georg Schwitters also know as THE_RAW on the forums. George is a freelance fine art and commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.myspace.com/georgschwitters

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 17 minutes, 17 seconds

Direct link for Episode 052

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Wow, thanks Val! Keep up that pace

Downloading now. 51 and 52.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TuShan View Post
    Wow, thanks Val! Keep up that pace

Downloading now. 51 and 52.

Me, too. Great thing. Keep up the good work!

Holy smokes! I just got done listening to 51!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

GOOBLE OVERLOAD! Here's hoping the yard cuts itself this weekend. Thanks.
    You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing. George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    GOOBLE OVERLOAD! Here's hoping the yard cuts itself this weekend. Thanks.
    It's never a Gooble Overload! I feared the Goobles were hunted to extinction! Keep the Goobles coming!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Man, my cardio is going to fly by this weekend!!!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

WHAT!? All I got is an extra reason to get EVEN LESS heads on figures...

-Whiplash's 200X head is the best thing that happened to that figure!!

-No one is asking for the super angled faces or the excessive detail, but the 200X outfit (or hairstyle) classicized...

-Somehow I fear that Young Adam will be Normal Adam, new vest, Bow Pants and Hordak Gloves.

-Vac Metal for Disco Skeletor and Havok staff or NOTHING!!

-Yay Songster!!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Damn man, now I gotta play catchup on Gooble for once!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Thanks for getting these posted before SDCC Val! Now I will have something to listen to on the cross-country trip to southern California Tuesday

Thank god Carnivus and Faceless One didn't come with furry shorts!

There is nothing wrong with Count Marzo's head. He remains one of the best figures in the entire line in my opinion. He looks like a Jack Kirby character to me.

I cringed when I heard Toyguru say that he would have put furry shorts on Chief Carnivus, Faceless One, and Marzo. The later figures in the vintage line all had unique parts.

Really?! I'm horrified at that reasoning. You're making the best toyline on the market today in my opinion, don't screw it up with self imposed limitations.

I bought two subscriptions for this year, and I was planning on at least two for next year. If I had seen furry shorts on Carnivus and Marzo instead of their awesome loin cloths, it would have only been one for next year.

And it's a good thing that Whiplash came with a 200x head. This is a line that is solely supported by the hardcore fans. We are not confused by alternate looks.

You are not selling this line at retail. Even if you were, you've stated that you'd probably take out alternate heads anyway, thus negating the confusion your bosses seem to feel they would cause some poor parent you think isn't bright enough to figure out a toy with a second head.

Mattel executives don't seem to hold parents in high esteem if they think poor ol' Whiplash and his two heads would cause parents to become dumbfounded in the toy aisles.

Well what the--wow! You realize you have to deliver these daily from now on, Right? We're spoiled now, and there's no going back!

Heroic Warrior
    thanks guys and muh-dam.

Disco Skeletor is awesome. The perfect figure for the subs.

Toyguru is a cool guy and I always love his interviews, but that reasoning for excluding 200X heads is terrible! Val hit the nail on the head way back in RGD 28 and that reasoning is still sound now.

She-Ra comes with two heads and is packaged by her far less known vintage toyline head. Does that sparkly mask create a unified look for one of the top five characters of the brand or a character who heads up her own brand? She would be merchandised and she has two looks! How does that look from a brand perspective? Does Mer-Man's two different heads or Teela's redhead or blonde hair colors give those characters one definitive look? What legal, logistical issues did Moss Man and Stinkor give Mattel because they have both classic heads and modern heads?

Every other head is alright to use from NA's space helmets to the very different cardback heads to POP toyline heads, but the 200X heads in particular are singled out? This is why 200X heads will continue to be an issue until something changes.

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    MGM, your passion is awesome and I'm a big fan of the 4H's 200x redesigns myself, but I still feel 200x is not really the point.

The biggest problem is that IMO Mattel's lack of direction on these points has creatively stagnated was could've been THE DEFINITIVE "Classic" MotU toy line and slowly reverted it to Commemorative Reissue Series Mk II.

And there's simply no escaping that more than a few fans have been steadily burned out on this trajectory, which yes IS a departure from what seemed to be a standard set by releases like Man-At-Arms, Moss Man, and Mer-Man.

From my perspective 200x has little or nothing to do with it.
    It's simply about wanting more than just the vintage toy redone and that's it.

Just as an example of how it doesn't have to be about 200x, look no further than the artwork stuff the Power and Honor Foundation has been showing for Whiplash, Grizzlor, and Leech. All three are PERFECT examples of alternate (and more threatening, vicious) looks that come 100% from the vintage designers, and all feature design elements that the 80's production restrictions wouldn't have allowed for proper translation.

Why not tap stuff like this for a more modernized, (AKA not just carbon copying the vintage figures we've all already bought at least once) mature, and truly collector friendly Classic MotU line?

Everyone can say there's no restrictions all they want, but the fact remains that when the insistence is made to make sure all non vintage figure elements are removable or left off altogether, the reality simply doesn't bear out the explanation attempts.

To me, it's clear that if the climate is such that most elements that weren't explicitly featured on the vintage figure will NOT be welcomed, then the 4H will never design/sculpt them to begin with.

And yes, the notion that Marzo was too far while Carnivus is scaled back is pretty laughable.

I just think Mattel should be treating this more like a prestige project.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    MGM, your passion is awesome and I'm a big fan of the 4H's 200x redesigns myself, but I still feel 200x is not really the point.

The biggest problem is that IMO Mattel's lack of direction on these points has creatively stagnated was could've been THE DEFINITIVE "Classic" MotU toy line and slowly reverted it to Commemorative Reissue Series Mk II.

And there's simply no escaping that more than a few fans have been steadily burned out on this trajectory, which yes IS a departure from what seemed to be a standard set by releases like Man-At-Arms, Moss Man, and Mer-Man.

From my perspective 200x has little or nothing to do with it.
    It's simply about wanting more than just the vintage toy redone and that's it.

Just as an example of how it doesn't have to be about 200x, look no further than the artwork stuff the Power and Honor Foundation has been showing for Whiplash, Grizzlor, and Leech. All three are PERFECT examples of alternate (and more threatening, vicious) looks that come 100% from the vintage designers, and all feature design elements that the 80's production restrictions wouldn't have allowed for proper translation.

Why not tap stuff like this for a more modernized, (AKA not just carbon copying the vintage figures we've all already bought at least once) mature, and truly collector friendly Classic MotU line?

Everyone can say there's no restrictions all they want, but the fact remains that when the insistence is made to make sure all non vintage figure elements are removable or left off altogether, the reality simply doesn't bear out the explanation attempts.

To me, it's clear that if the climate is such that most elements that weren't explicitly featured on the vintage figure will NOT be welcomed, then the 4H will never design/sculpt them to begin with.

And yes, the notion that Marzo was too far while Carnivus is scaled back is pretty laughable.

I just think Mattel should be treating this more like a prestige project.
    I think 200X is a part of your point and helps to keep the figures from being mostly vintage rehashes. But whereas you're talking about MOTUC making the best figures from all of it's sources, I'm talking about why 200X is singled out of the mix, specifically. The reasons for it's exclusion are pretty weak, considering all of the other heads that we get and none of those heads manage to screw up brand identities.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think 200X is a part of your point and helps to keep the figures from being mostly vintage rehashes. But whereas you're talking about MOTUC making the best figures from all of it's sources, I'm talking about why 200X is singled out of the mix, specifically.
    I hear your point, I do. But for whatever reason, no one at Mattel seems to have ANY kind of reasonable, real world perspective of 200x ("hyper anime detail" anyone?) so you're right, it is singled out.

However, if the 200x thing is THAT big of a deal (which, newsflash: it's not), then I was just pointing out how keeping MOTUC new and fresh is not solely dependent on 200x design elements. While I feel most are still strong and would bring great added value to MOTUC, by no means is that the only well to tap.

There are all sorts of ways to help keep MOTUC figures worth their $20 price tag beyond relying solely on amber-preserved nostalgia, and if we're ignoring 200x for the moment, then they'd be left with no opportunities for excuses about branding or logistics and would simply have to cop to cheapening out.

I have to agree - if it really were only about having one single head design to create one unique appearance for every character this should mean no alternate heads for Man-At-Arms, Teela, Mer-Man, She-Ra, Bow and so on. In that case I could follow the argument. But because this is not and will not be the case, the "no modern inspirations" policy remains arbitrary to fans like me.

But I would recommend to leave it at that for this discussion, we do not want to get on anyone's nerves by repeating ourselves. You have made the points clear - whether it's only 200X or all modernizations - and now let's better move on before this turns into one of those discussions.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Count Marzo's head.
    I dunno if that's an accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    He remains one of the best figures in the entire line in my opinion.
    Oh! Nevermind! I agree!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Nice to hear Scott again, he's almost becoming a regular.

I just have to say camping is awesome! I regularly go camping in the Peak District which is not far from me.

I hate to harp on about the 200x/modern heads but it would be nice if we could get them but done in a classicized style, the Whiplash head was a great head to include and that 200x Grizzlor face plate looked so sweet, I really wish we had got that.

I love the movie Skeletor design and voice, I really like that Emiliano used it in Homecoming comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Thank god Carnivus and Faceless One didn't come with furry shorts!
    Amen to that brother!
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Don't be ashamed about having collected little plastic animals, Danielle! That's what I used to do too when I was little. I had a pretty huge collection too, because to get one I didn't yet have I usually had to buy a bag full of ones I already had. Which incidentally is why I never got the one animal that I most wanted: the Indian tapir. I couldn't get my parents to buy a whole bag of animals just to get this single one. And that was the only time I ever saw a tapir anywhere.

I can't remember ever having had a water buffalo though. Several Cape Buffaloes certainly, but I can't even remember seeing a water buffalo toy. Not that I wouldn't have traded any of those animals for a MOTU figure of my own. Even the Indian tapir (I think.)

I always feel bad for Scott when he has to defend the Mattel policy on the 200X heads. I get the feeling it's a decision he doesn't fully agree with, but he can't say it out loud or explain the real reasons (LOGISTICS!) behind it without risking his job or at least the toyline. But I kinda understand what he means about using the furry loincloth for Carnivus and the Faceless One. I don't necessarily really agree in the case of Carnivus, but there is something about the Faceless One's outfit that feels a bit over-elaborate for the classics style. To use a bad analogy (because I can't think of a better right now) the Classics Faceless One should logically look equally different from the 200X Faceless One as Classics Hordak does from the 200X staction Hordak.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

great to hear scott again in this show! ...

on MOTUC:''for the most part, this line is about updating the classic line'' - and that's why i collect it!! ...

val - you get extra points for mentioning dolph lundgren in this episode!! ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; July 17, 2011 at 03:54pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    on MOTUC:''for the most part, this line is about updating the classic line'' - and that's why i collect it!! ...
    Me too! But here's the problem...

What's an "update"?

Is it nearly identical figures that go so far as to reproduce the same 80's limitations only with better paint and more articulation?

Or is it figures that improve upon their 80's designs and fix many of the limitations from the technology of the time to give us better figures?

We have different definitions of "update".

It's quite nice hearing Scott on the podcast. It humanizes him and, in my opinion, makes him far more likeable.

It helps give weight to the idea that reading a person's comments online doesn't give you a clear and complete picture of who they are, or what they are like.

Of course, there are things for which I, and others, have criticized Toyguru, but as I've always maintained, those things are seldom about him as a person.

Anyway, I like listening to him talk about the line!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.