Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 052 Discussion!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Great podcast overall.

But I do have to agree with those stating that more things like the 200X Whiplash head should happen in this line.

In the podcast, Scott talks about the approach of taking 200X characters (i.e. The Faceless One, Carnivus, and the 200X version of Marzo) and translating them into the line. Additionally he speaks about how characters like King Randor, Queen Marlena, and the Sorceress could warrant 2nd figures in ths line based on their 200X appearance since their outfits were very different.

In my opinion, there are at least a few characters whose overall 200X redeisgns to their faces and bodies are just as drastic of a change as the looks of the Sorceress, Randor, etc. Whiplash does come to mind as being one such case. If anything, I would have preferred a full separate 200X-inspired figure than just a head, but I'm glad to have the head over nothing. An even more drastic example is Buzz-Off. His whole head and body design are almost completely different than his 80s counterpart.

I can understand not making a "200X" Skeletor, Mer-Man, or Trap-Jaw because those characters were largely based on the same rough designs in 200X and just really updated with a lot of detail. But Buzz-Off, for example, was almost a complete redesign. And I think a "Classics" version of him would be nice to see. The approach to translating him into this line should be similar to taking the likes of Carnivus, the Faceless One, and Marzo, and translating them into this line. It's possible to take a character like Buzz-Off, scale back the "hyper anime detail", and come up with what a vintage figure would have theoretically looked like had they used that basic design for Buzz-Off in the 80s. The same goes for any charcter who could reasonably warrant at least a 2nd 200X-inspired head, even if we don't get a full 2nd figure.

Overall I am happy with classics, but there are a handful of characters that had (IMO) drastically different deisgns in 200X that I feel would warrant those versions being represented in this line.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    Don't be ashamed about having collected little plastic animals, Danielle! That's what I used to do too when I was little. I had a pretty huge collection too, because to get one I didn't yet have I usually had to buy a bag full of ones I already had.
    Yay! I'm not alone! I still have a bag of plastic animals somewhere in my parents' attic. I'd do the same thing you did. If there was one animal in the bag I didn't have, I'd sometimes get the whole bag just for that one animal.

I never saw the tapir! I would have wanted that so bad! Two that I had which I never saw again were a little pair of skunks! I think I still have them in the ol' animal bag.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I never saw the tapir! I would have wanted that so bad! Two that I had which I never saw again were a little pair of skunks! I think I still have them in the ol' animal bag.
    Oh, I remember having at least two skunks! Maybe they weren't that rare on this side of the Atlantic. But the tapir was like the Holy Grail. I even started to doubt if I had really seen it or if it was just a dream I misremembered as being true, but it did exist. I eventually saw one again, years after I had stopped collecting.

I just found a big box of full of my plastic animals last year in the outbuilding, and I haven't properly checked which ones are still there. I gave some of the bigger ones for my nephew and niece to play with, but I'm saving some of the better looking ones for when they're a bit older.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I'm glad Scott came on to talk toys with us. I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with the answer regarding alternate heads with 200x elements, but frankly it's a tiresome subject and I'm done with trying to argue the point. If Mattel doesn't want the extra money that they can get from folks who are completists and would buy two of that figure for display, their loss.

That said, I loved the discussion on Zodac. I like the mystery of the character for sure. I like the clashing elements of the character...his feet and fins indicate he's an evil character..but is he? Personally, I always thought of him as a bit of a gun for hire. Whoever could pay his price could count him as part of their team. That though, makes him highly unpredictable. I tend to like that better than the "Green Lantern"-esque Cosmic Enforcer take, or a Metron type character. I guess I just don't get the whole maintaining neutrality bit myself. To me his wild card aspect is much more interesting when he is serving himself rather than some greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    [...]To use a bad analogy (because I can't think of a better right now) the Classics Faceless One should logically look equally different from the 200X Faceless One as Classics Hordak does from the 200X staction Hordak.
    Well, it's the same example of come up with to describe how I don't think Classics Faceless One's design actually fits in with Classics, so I'm going to say it's a good analogy.

And in other news...

EPISODE 052
    Runtime: 1 hour, 17 minutes, 17 seconds
    There are no Collectibles, Fan Sites, nor Fan Arts of the Week for this episode.

Your hosts: Val Staples A.K.A. JVS3; Danielle Gelehrter, A.K.A. Penny Dreadful; "Pixel Dan" Eardley; and Eamon O'Donoghue.
    Special Guest: Scott Neitlich, A.K.A. Toyguru.
    Discussion: Zodac figure.
    Intro and outro song: "Cruise Control" on New World by Stations Stories, featuring Rise of the Snake Men colorist Tony Washington! Check them out on iTunes, Amazon, Napster, eMusic , and Rhapsody!

Items of Note:
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley