Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should old figures be sold at the new, higher price points?

Should old figures be sold at the new, higher price points?

Come January, they will be charging charging $27 for $20 figures. That's kind of ridiculous. I thought it was bad when they started selling old figures for $22, but at $27 it's unbelievable. I can understand the price increase for new figures, but the old ones didn't cost them $27 to make. Figures should be sold at their original prices imo: 2013 - $27. 2012 - $22. Everything prior - $20.
    What say you?

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    It would be nice, but Mattel is a business, and I don't see them doing this.

Heroic Warrior
    They already sell older figures at a higher price. Heman, skeletor, shera, ect.. They were all originally $20 and now sell for $22. I imagine you could get the old ones cheap anyway on Black Friday or the mystery box sales they have and if they screw up another figures forearms we'll get free figures.

No, $22- $27 for old ass figures made prior to any increase is asinine....plain and simple, those figures did not come from increased costs....they are old stock, some, way old stock.... nothing is right about it, especially with them *****ing they want old stock cleared out....

And $27 for Rot Spout especially is totally unrealistic....he should be sold at a discount because of the basic ethics, they know he's defective.

How can anyone with good conscience sell a defective figure at a $7 mark-up instead of a mark down? A figure that rotted even when left MOSC?

The $27 is ******** anyway for these things being the retail price for non subscribers....With all the problems especially. $25 is my absolute cap for
    Matty retail, I will spend a bit more at BBTS to get the last 4 figures for my collection just to not deal with Matty myself once my sub is up in 2014.

Paying more to guarantee I get perfect or at least acceptable to my criteria figures without a BS return policy, and a crap ass CS base will be well worth it.
    At least in 2014 I won't have to guarantee Mattel $500+ for a year of figures I don't want all of....I can spend $100 at BBTS and get only what I want,
    and combine shipping for 6 months if I so choose to.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 21, 2012 at 02:42pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    No, they shouldn't. But, this is Mattel and they keep screwing their customers. That is why I'm glad I'm done with this line once my Granamyr arrives (unless I can get some of the newer figures I want at a really cheap price [around $20, which isn't really cheap]).
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Ae they going to increase the cost of the year-round available & inventory sell-off figures to $27? If so, could you please post a link because I'd like to see exactly everything that announcement said & the context it was said in.

Thanks!
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I agree, this is crazy!!!!

I had the same argument with my gas station, they raised the price but still had the old gas in the ground. Why was I being charged more when the gas they bought was at a lower price? The guy told me that they have to charge the replacement cost to get new gas.

About 2 years later the price of gas went down everywhere, but his was still high so I asked him again about his price why was it still higher and this time he said, "Well I have to show a profit for the gas I already bought." Bottom line, he (and most likely Mattel) will charge the highest price they can get away with and will find someway to justify it.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Should old figures be sold at the new, higher price points? What say you?
    I say yes!

(I just wanted to be the only one that said "yes".)
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

If figure X didn't sell out at $20. I don't know what makes them think that it will sell at $27...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    Ae they going to increase the cost of the year-round available & inventory sell-off figures to $27? If so, could you please post a link because I'd like to see exactly everything that announcement said & the context it was said in.

Thanks!
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...077#2041043077

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...077#6641035077

"You have been given ample notification!"
    Last edited by Kowl; December 21, 2012 at 03:16pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

If the price increase leads to more money in their pockets, they should.

If the price increase leads to fewer customers and less money in their pockets, they shouldn't.

Matty's got bills to pay. We never signed a contract that said Snout Spout would always be $22. More MOTUC profits should translate to more MOTUC resources.

if they strat selling older figures for a higher price point....they are likely only going to hurt themselves. At $27 per figure PLUS shipping, you can kiss any new collectors good bye. I thought $22 was way to high for an action figure...

Thanks!

I have trouble seeing the Evergreen basic figures valued at $27.00 but that could be because I already have them and would not pay $27.00 to have a duplicate. However, someone who doesn't have them may see more value in them than I do.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    If the price increase leads to more money in their pockets, they should.

If the price increase leads to fewer customers and less money in their pockets, they shouldn't.

Matty's got bills to pay. We never signed a contract that said Snout Spout would always be $22. More MOTUC profits should translate to more MOTUC resources.
    The price increase on the old figures also helps them offset the loss on storage costs that they have been paying for unsold stock at DR.
    Kowl, the know it owl!

From a business point, I totally get & understand it, BUT... Flipshot & Snout Spout didn't sell at $15 with lower shipping, who's gonna buy them at +$13 & 50% more shipping? Amazon has them consistently at $28 & below with free 2 day shipping for Prime members & free 5 day shipping for non members. I actually got my Flipshot for $16 shipped a few weeks ago.

Hopefull that high dollar figures will make everything come out in the wash. If I save X amount on say Whiplash, I may spend that on Carnivus & not feel as violated.

Sigh, I remember when it was just about the toys & having fun. As a kid money, price increases, character selection & design choices didn't matter. Just good guys vs. bad guys & awesome adventures. I miss those days.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I think this is capitalism, we can not argue with that. But IMO they could have a price of 23 or 25 for the old figures and 27 for the new ones, that would be more fair. Obviously by rising the price they could be compensating other costs, but we don't know for sure.

Not if Mattel knows they’re defective (Snout Spout). Totally unethical.

The correct price is whatever people are willing to pay. You can't overcharge for a luxury item.

Heroic Warrior
    Just don't buy them, let mattel sit on that old stock until next yrs black friday. The only old figures i'd pay 27 dollars for, is Teela and maybe scare glow.

they should sell them cheaper if they already have them. but if they are having to produce more at the newer higher cost of materials they should till be a bit less due to not having to make new sculpts or anything beyond pulling out the old molds. But when the new prices came the old ones matched that so I figure snout will pop up at nearly 30 Thankfully I don't want him. I almost think they are aiming at secondary market prices. If a Teela came in at $27 I would be jazzed, same with Sorceress and many others. thankfully I know a couple guys who have subs this time around and if any real good ones pop up I will beg and plead
    But yeah..the old price would be preferred..but matty loves to roll around in new money so the more the merrier I figure
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

At the higher price, they can sell 'em, I won't buy 'em.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I foresee Ebay prices becoming more competitive for older figures now. As most have said, unless it's a Teela, Scareglow, or Fisto I will not be buying reissued figures from Matty anymore on regular sale days.

The thing that blows my mind is MOTUC: Icarius™ - Is this left over inventory or did they really put him into a second run?

No disrespect to the New Adventures fans, but this character is already going for about $16.00 on eBay. I don't see how they plan to move him at $27.00

Heroic Warrior
    Should old figures be sold at the new, higher price points? What say you?
    I say "Definitely not !". In a normal world, this kind of unethical decision would be opposed and banned. In this ultraliberal world based on GREED, it's alas something that can happen, but that doesn't mean it's not shameful and disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Minor View Post
    The thing that blows my mind is MOTUC: Icarius™ - Is this left over inventory or did they really put him into a second run?

No disrespect to the New Adventures fans, but this character is already going for about $16.00 on eBay. I don't see how they plan to move him at $27.00
    It is all leftover inventory... The only figures that Mattel ever went back into a real second production on were He-Man, Skeletor, Beast Man, Mer Man, Stratos, Battle Cat, Hordak, Man At Arms and Faker....

Starting with Adora, they just made one large production quantity and packaged them into a regular package and a "the original" burst package. It was all a marketing program to create artificial demand and also increase sales to MOC package variations completists. It's a trick that Hasbro has been doing for years with Star Wars.
    Kowl, the know it owl!