Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC vs DC is DEAD!

IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR TOYGURU :

Who was the 6th Master in the 2 packs?

Can you tell us, or are you going to try to get him / her a spot somewhere as a monthly variant?
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Since I am INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED BY THIS, I'll be a brat: I've heard from several sources that the other pack was Filmation colors Hordak.

Ohhhhh well!!

Sad. Just sad.
    I'm glad, actually. A repaint of the extant MotUC-Hordak in blue would not be good enough, and if it didn't come out that way there's at least a chance they'll do it properly (new head, new armour, removable [Trap-Jaw] shoulders w/arm cannon, He-Man rather than KG loincloth, etc) later.

Last edited by Reboot; July 15, 2011 at 06:47pm.

The line has officially gotten smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    If they released them in MOTUC singles packs, they'd sell much better. I passed on mini comic Mer-Man because I couldn't justify $30 for him and no need for Aquaman.
    I agree. I think if Mattel wants us to support a line sold in stores they should have given us more of what we wanted to buy. I'll do $25 at the most in a single MOC figure in a retail environment if it's enough to warrant a difference from what's already been given, but $30 for a 2 pack that came with ONE accessory and a slight paint change or minor sculpt difference for the figure I actually want from the 2-pack is pushing it. The DC figures I bought were either custom fodder or trading material, almost a complete waste.
    Sorry for the run-on sentence.

I wish they would sell.them on matty..that would help our int frieds too

Heroic Warrior
    I think what happened is TRU is run by a bunch of horrible speculators... Wave 1 came out and they flew off the shelves, so TRU probably ordered more (I don't believe there was only one order of the first wave, but could be mistaken)... They thought they had something hot on their hands because of how fast the first ones flew off the shelves, so they not only ordered more, but they ordered high on Wave 2. The Wave 1 second order came in before the Wave 2 order, so they started putting them on the shelf... but all the people who really wanted them already had them, so Wave 1 gathered dust... then Wave 2 came in and TRU thought "maybe we can regenerate interest by throwing some of these out there", so they put Wave 2 out and it flew off the shelf. Well the line must be hot again, right? So let's start cramming the over-ordered, under-sold Wave 1 back on the shelves... and they sat gathering dust again. So they throw a few Wave 2 out here and there to make something move, but Wave 1 still isn't going anywhere... It's the same mentality that caused and killed the comic boom of the 90s.

Wouldn't surprise me if they save the Wave 3 stuff until every last Wave 1 leftover is out of their possession.

Personally, I am disappointed to see the line die... Aside from the completely unchanged She-Ra, I have enjoyed every MOTUC figure released in the packs, and was looking forward to possibly seeing mini-comic Trap Jaw & Teela.

Sadly, this is not surprising ... have been worried about the future of this line for some weeks given the non-appearance of Zodac and She-Ra 2 packs. When I saw the SDCC Faker/Bizarro pak I got my hopes up, but not to be ...

Agree that the lack of variation in DC figures would not have helped sales. I was lucky not to have Luthor, Aquaman or Hawkman so they were 100% win-win packs for me, but I'm sure most other DC fans already had those exact same figures.

If Filmation colours Hordak was scheduled, they should have advertised this with the She-Ra 2pak to highlight the links with the vintage toon ... and they should have selected a more popular version of Supergirl.

My hope now is that we actually do eventually see the Zodac and She-Ra packs make it to stores and that Mattel offer repaints/variants on Mattycollector outside of the subscriptions.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I still need/want He-Man Vs Superman.

I don't know if I'd blame pricing or even the character pairings...

As I gaze over the acres of Lex Vs Skelly 2-packs at my TRUs, I can't help but think that the problem was TRU ordering giant numbers of those instead waiting for the next wave to be released. Or maybe it's Matty's fault for not getting the next wave out fast enough. Either way...

On Facebook, Vinto-Man made the observation that Faker brings death in 2-Packs.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Good. I'm glad they are done. It's not sad at all. I'm sure international fans feel the same way as me.

Every time this comes up, I have the same response:

Release them individually via Matty as OPTIONAL(not sub included) quarterly repaints in limited quantity(they should know a good number by now).

Repaints are too easy for them NOT to do, especially when there are a handful of highly demanded repaints.

As for the lack of accessories either:

A. make more/new weapons, spice the figure up a tiny bit somehow and make it worth our while or...

B. price them cheaper than a regular tooled figure.

I'm still gonna pick up the ones I'm lacking, but I'm glad that will be the last of them. I don't want the DC crap to begin with, nor do I like paying the $30+ for a MOTU repaint lacking accessories.

If you read my post here, Toyguru/Mattel, please take it under consideration! Although I'm sure you're already on top of things.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Whoa

too soon.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Maybe MOTUC vs DC's survival is one of the announcements (at least the MOTUC parts). I KNOW they have to realize that the international fans would love to get those repaints and the fans didn't really want the DC figures or deal with resellers scooping up all the figures anyway.

Just change the SKU and sell the single figures on Matty as optional, non-sub figures.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Good. I'm glad they are done. It's not sad at all. I'm sure international fans feel the same way as me.

Release them individually via Matty as OPTIONAL(not sub included) quarterly repaints in limited quantity(they should know a good number by now).

100% agree CM, Simple repaints, like Red Beast, Blonde Teela, mini comic Trap Jaw should be no brainers, just make them optional incase people dont want just repaints. Not sure who wouldnt want those.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

could it be due to super high $$$

I have 4 TRU's in my area, and each of these is atleast $30.00, some are about $35.00. They should have made them about $22.00 and put more online.
    Just soem marketing ideas there...

So does this mean no battle armor Faker? I wonder if we'll get the battle armor in a future weapons pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post

Not that I wouldn't scoop-up individual variants in a heartbeat, but I'd still be sad even if Mattel made those, because part of the excitement for me was the whole crossover thing and the art. ha! Yeah, some of the pairings and the art weren't the best, but I wanted to see more of these. :/

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    So does this mean no battle armor Faker? I wonder if we'll get the battle armor in a future weapons pack?
    We're still getting him and probably the other two sets as well.
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 15, 2011 at 07:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    This stinks, I really like these 2 packs, idk why shelves weren't stocked better, I luckily found merman and stratos last Dec. I do hope that matty keeps it going like someone else here suggested. It would also be nice if they could send the shelf warmers across seas

Quote Originally Posted by necro-man View Post
    I have 4 TRU's in my area, and each of these is atleast $30.00, some are about $35.00. They should have made them about $22.00 and put more online.
    Just soem marketing ideas there...

its not super high if you are a fan of DCUC and MOTUC, $15 each is normal these days, and $22 is only $2 more than single release MOTUC.

The big issue is they tried to force 2 different groups together, if they would have just giving TRU single carded repaints, i think they would have done better. Like they did with the DCUC line

So, no:

-blonde tiara-wearing Teela
    -all red beast man
    -mini-comic colors Trap Jaw
    -mini-comic colors Tri-Klops
    -Filmation colors/armored MAA

etc

these were planned so poorly... I've talked about this before.

They went super cheap instead of putting figures together that would lure BOTH DCUC and MOTUC collectors. If Mattel had taken a slight loss on these, which I doubt could even happen, it would have been worth the investment in the two lines, and in mattycollector.

Embarassing.
    Don't blame Mattel...blame TRU. They are HORRIBLE at ordering new stock. They still have a few DC retro action series ONE figures from 2009 hanging in my TRU store. They refuse to clearance them and get new stock. Now it's 2011, and four waves later, DC retro action is cancelled too due to "poor sales". Waves 2,3,4 never showed up AT ALL at my TRU store. Pretty hard for customers to buy non-existent stock.

Anybody else still think MOTUC at retail is a good idea?
    If it ever goes retail it'll be dead within a year. I GUARANTEE IT.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Really not that surprised over this development, especially since TRUs seemed to have over-ordered the first wave, which didn't help at all.

Since I am INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED BY THIS, I'll be a brat: I've heard from several sources that the other pack was Filmation colors Hordak.
    Dammit. :/ Well, it wouldn't have been the same without the Hurricane Hordak arm anyway.

So, no:

-blonde tiara-wearing Teela
    -all red beast man
    -mini-comic colors Trap Jaw
    -mini-comic colors Tri-Klops
    -Filmation colors/armored MAA
    Out of all those, I'd have loved Trap-Jaw the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Why not send them overseas to test the European market ?
    I really hope they do that, there's probably more than enough to go around for those overseas that still want them.

OMG. I still want the Faker/Khan staction set!

What stinks is that my "local" TRU finally cleared out all the Luthor/Skelly packs, and actually had an Aquaman/Merman + 3 Hawkman/Stratos last time I checked it. (Really late compared to the rest of the country, par for the course, but they had them.)

I doubt it would make much of a difference, but I don't see why the GL/Zodac pack hasn't been released before now; having a movie tie-in might have moved a little more of the product than usual.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    If pulling the 2-packs secure the future of the online sales, so be it. As cool as the two packs were I'd much rather spend my money on new figures.
    I agree with your comment. To add my two cents, not only do I blame Mattel for not advertising this 2 pack line but also for not coming up with MOTU worthy packaging. I can probably spot a half burnt Wind Raider box in a pile of junk at a garage sale but I would walk by the 2 packs at TRU with out a second look. Now I know that the packaging had to promote both lines but come on.

Heroic Warrior
    So, no more MOTUC vs. DCUC. This is one bad news, and 5 so-called "huge" announcements to go (at SDCC). It leaves a bitter taste... but I guess there are lessons we can learn from this mess.

This failure shows us some important things :

1) Poor variants that are not well thought are not going to sell (outside a handful of geeks) - and if you thought Mattel had understood that from 200x, think again !

2) Ignoring the international fans is NOT a good idea at all

3) Big retailers are not able to distribute the products properly

Personally, out of the whole MOTUC vs. DCUC, I only liked the mini comic Mer-Man vs. Aquaman.

But I wonder... will we get good news at SDCC that might erase this sad news !?

Personally, I really hope we'll get all the MOTU/POP vintage figures released as soon as possible, because it's now clear that Mattel might "pull the plug" again, and very swiftly. We need our vintage favorites !
    Last edited by Prahvus; July 15, 2011 at 07:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post

Anybody else still think MOTUC at retail is a good idea?
    If it ever goes retail it'll be dead within a year. I GUARANTEE IT.
    if you want to see me cry, tell me that MOTUC is going retail lol

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    100% agree CM, Simple repaints, like Red Beast, Blonde Teela, mini comic Trap Jaw should be no brainers, just make them optional incase people dont want just repaints. Not sure who wouldnt want those.
    Definitely. Gotta make them optional just because I know more people would cry about having those included in the sub than not. Sure some people would want them in the sub so they don't have to mess with the crap site we have to order them from, but I think there's always gonna be something that we will have to face Matty's site to order.

Not that I wouldn't scoop-up individual variants in a heartbeat, but I'd still be sad even if Mattel made those, because part of the excitement for me was the whole crossover thing and the art. ha! Yeah, some of the pairings and the art weren't the best, but I wanted to see more of these. :/
    I can understand the appeal of the crossover "vs." concept. I was a huge fan of Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter vs X-Men and stuff like that. But there really isnt that many solid matchups...and would they even get them right? Almost everyone wanted She-Ra vs Wonder Woman and they put her with ****ing "Supergirl". Really?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!