Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC vs DC is DEAD!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    (Also, Toyman never came out because there wasn't enough demand for the other 3packs...but supposedly he was ready.)
    ***words I'm not allowed to say on this forum!!!!*** (I think that says it all ).

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    And Toyguru strikes again with "Support the stuff in stores" to save the line stuff.

He's done this with JLU, and it's getting tired.

Since I am INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED BY THIS, I'll be a brat: I've heard from several sources that the other pack was Filmation colors Hordak.

Ohhhhh well!!

Sad. Just sad.
    Oh, Brian...my heart...crushed.

So, no:

-blonde tiara-wearing Teela
    -all red beast man
    -mini-comic colors Trap Jaw
    -mini-comic colors Tri-Klops
    -Filmation colors/armored MAA

etc

these were planned so poorly... I've talked about this before.

They went super cheap instead of putting figures together that would lure BOTH DCUC and MOTUC collectors. If Mattel had taken a slight loss on these, which I doubt could even happen, it would have been worth the investment in the two lines, and in mattycollector.

Embarassing.
    I agree, they could have done more. I read DC people BEGGING them to do "Super Powers" repaints of the DC characters in these packs. That would be SO smart. No new parts, just slap on some brighter paint and call it a day. Mini-comic variant MOTUC figure and then there would be TWO large groups of customers/fans sword fighting it out to GET these packs! If kept the comic reprints instead of the incredibly lame "mini-posters", that also would have increased the value.

I don't know about you guys, but DCUC is $20 a figure where I live and MOTUC is $30 after shipping...which is $50. These two packs (if they ever WERE in my store) are $35. That's a substantial savings. The Movie Masters Green Lantern singles are $20 and the two-packs are $40, I think (possibly $35...but I'm pretty sure they were $40). That's outrageous!

The MOTUC ones were such a better deal. If only more thought were put into these two-packs. I know Matty will shout Logistics and budget, blah, blah, blah...but they have to realize rule #1 of business: you have to SPEND money to MAKE money. Not "buy this thing I released 5 times before...but in a NEW package!" I don't think DCUC fans will go for that.

He was tooled and made (samples were sold on ebay via a Chinese seller).

Scott/Toyguru has been telling the JLU collectors over on AFI and via Matty's forums that they had better support the S.T.R.I.P.E. sale or the 7-pack that was planned to finish the League, as well as the 3packs that included Toyman, Scott Alan GL, Jay Garrick Flash, etc. would never see the light of day.

I think it's a bluff... I think those figures were produced because the samples showed up on ebay.

BUT, that's beside the point. JLU stuff should have been sold on mattycollector and these 2-packs could have been planned better and sold there as well.

Including TRU should only be for when there is a movie or a mega-hit TV show. They went for the retail thing way too soon.
    Grrr. I WANT S.T.R.I.P.E. but I still haven't ordered him because that's an additional $9 in shipping because you can't add anything to ship with the MOTUC subscription. I think if they allowed this option, they would get more sales. They have to be missing out on SO many sales! I can't imagine I'm the only one who would get more figures from other lines here and there if you didn't have to pay shipping twice! Punishing the people supporting the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    I would rather purchase MOTUC repaints thru Matty. It'd be much easier than dealing with TRU. I hope Mattel considers doing this now that the TRU deal is done.
    MOTUC vs MOTUC on Matty, both repaints, fewer accessories and only costing $30 would be pure WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    On Facebook, Vinto-Man made the observation that Faker brings death in 2-Packs. lol
    Ouch...that hurts. He's always an exclusive too. What the hell is up with that?! Poor Faker is cursed with the ending two-packs urban legend...and the Snakemen with the ending the LINE!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

MOTUC vs MOTUC on Matty, both repaints, fewer accessories and only costing $30 would be pure WIN!

Oh I really really like this Idea, I can see Red Beastman vs Blonde Teela now
    the ignore list is my new best friend

No one can't say I didn't see this one coming...and just when FAKER was about to hit...The second wave killed it. They are peg warming every shelf in South Florida..who was the GENIOUS who thought we needed another stratos/mer-man??

Fixed Stratos and mini comics Mer-Man were highly requested on here.

indeed, if there's any of the repaints I'd want it's the blue Mer-Man
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR TOYGURU :

Who was the 6th Master in the 2 packs?

Can you tell us, or are you going to try to get him / her a spot somewhere as a monthly variant?
    I did ask Toy Guru, but he couldn't tell me. He tagged a "right now" on there, so we may be able to find out in the future.

It's probably for the best since we'd be that much more disappointed if it were something cool like BA Faker or Blue Mer-Man.
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; July 15, 2011 at 09:25pm.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Sign me up! Are you listening, Matty?

Mattel/TRU, don't send these to us International collectors now. You had your chance.

Retail is dead. If MOTUC is making money by being online then don't try and fix what isn't broken.

I don't know how many times I have read about people seeing a previous wave clogging the shelves for multiple different lines. Retailers have no idea how to sell toys anymore.

Mattycollector is the best thing to happen to toy collectors. It should be used as an example for all companies who want to sell niche products that do not have media backing it up.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    We'll probably find out the next Wave of two packs at SDCC. I wonder though...if TRU doesn't want them, why not simply sell them on Matty?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Anybody else still think MOTUC at retail is a good idea?
    If it ever goes retail it'll be dead within a year. I GUARANTEE IT.
    I still don't think the MOTU property is retail poison (not saying that's what you mean, 'Tilla), it's the way Mattel handles their retail lines. Retro Action DC, JLU and now DC vs MOTUC failed...for the same reasons.

One huge strike against the 2 packs was the extra UNCHANGED DC Universe figure that everyone already owned included for $30. DC Universe has loads of comic fans who keep DC Universe in business and the two packs failed to attract them.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Yep, don't blame blue-wing Stratos or blue Mer-Man ... plenty of us wanted these vintage variants.

I do however wonder if there wasn't so much retailer demand for the proposed next wave of normal Hal Jordan/white glove Zodac (another much requested variant) and JLU/OWAW Supergirl.

Think a wave of Hordak/Brainiac and She-Ra/modern Supergirl (or even Matrix-Supergirl) would have fared better.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

chosen1heath

let me tell you why this sucks.

I totally felt in my heart that Hordak/Darkseid was coming. And I was going to buy it. PLANNING ON BUYING IT MATTEL! (bet you are NOT even reading this)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I still don't think the MOTU property is retail poison (not saying that's what you mean, 'Tilla), it's the way Mattel handles their retail lines. Retro Action DC, JLU and now DC vs MOTUC failed...for the same reasons.

One huge strike against the 2 packs was the extra UNCHANGED DC Universe figure that everyone already owned included for $30. DC Universe has loads of comic fans who keep DC Universe in business and the two packs failed to attract them.
    DC Universe keeps going solely because of the depth of characters imho, but its not like that line has never faced clearance or retail trouble before. And its is handled like pure crap half the time with one wave hitting Walmart, another hitting Target, and sometimes waves not appearing anywhere but online.

If MOTUC were to be handled like DCU most people here would tear their hair out, online is the best place for it imho. The subscription funds the figures, we do not have to worry about retail chains deciding its fate.

I said it before MOTUC at retail will fail, not because its bad or because the general population did not latch on. It would die because retail chains are finicky and distribution would kill it (just like it did 200x).

Retail requires you to ramp up production which means you need to ramp up sales, the minute one wanes the other fails. Online you can adjust those, the sub gives them a baseline.

Essentially online we are the Walmart/Target/TRU and we have far less demands to make it work
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

first we had the news of reissues reduction , now this news about dc vs motuc 2pack, luckily comes the SDCC and with it the huge announcements.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not surprised it died. I for one am against MOTUC going retail. Everything from star wars to GI Joe has become ridiculously hard to collect at retail because of **** poor managment at retail, to many factors to list. With gas prices up in the Chicagoland area to 4$ its not worth hunting. I'm completely happy with shopping online. Even if a movie came out, I would be against it, look at all the crappy movie toy lines.

I only bought Aquaman vs Mer-Man, but it got me started collecting DCUC just a little. I will purchase the Zodac vs GL when it comes out, I don't have Zodac and I like the paint job on that one.

It is unfortunate, but it is what it is
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Maybe MOTUC vs DC's survival is one of the announcements (at least the MOTUC parts). I KNOW they have to realize that the international fans would love to get those repaints and the fans didn't really want the DC figures or deal with resellers scooping up all the figures anyway.

Just change the SKU and sell the single figures on Matty as optional, non-sub figures.
    Big announcement to revive a cancelled line a week later, but planned months ahead?

I think this line would have done MUCH better had they made the DC character in the two-pack with MOTUC parts... in other words, had they given us a Superman Vs He-Man pack where Superman was using the MOTUC buck with some newly tooled parts... so that they looked like they were from the same line... it would have been more incentive for MOTUC fans to buy 'em, and given the DC collectors some cool new items for their collections. For the $40 bucks that they cost, they totally could have coughed up the dough to do some really cool limited edition packs, instead of just re-using the existing DCUC classic figures and pairing them with big bulky MOTUC figures so that the two don't even look like they belong together on a toy shelf. Alas, I'll miss owning that new Zodac (do you REALLY think these are ever going to make it to stores now? The line's been canned and GL as a toyline and movie wasn't the biggest hit this summer)... but in the end, I guess it's money saved.

They had no problem selling the Supes/He-Man sets. Or even the Lex/Skelly sets to a lesser degree. The problem was they ordered too many after the first couple of sets flew off the shelves. After they got stuck with those, they ordered too few of Wave 2 and jacked the price up $5 more.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Big announcement to revive a cancelled line a week later, but planned months ahead?
    I see your point. Why not hold this news until SDCC if MOTUC vs DC was being changed up anyway?

Since TG likes surprises, I could see him lowering our expectations with bad news, only to give the news of MOTUC vs DC singles now being sold on Mattycollector.com much more weight at SDCC.

It's wishful thinking at best.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Alas, I'll miss owning that new Zodac (do you REALLY think these are ever going to make it to stores now? The line's been canned and GL as a toyline and movie wasn't the biggest hit this summer)... but in the end, I guess it's money saved.
    As far as I know the last 2 packs have already been made and will ship, whether you see them in stores is up in the air but Toys R Us will not just throw them out. They already paid for them.

That is the problem, they won't buy anymore so the line is cancelled and probably took Faker (Most likely the last pack they fully paid and committed to) and shifted it to SDCC to get rid of it
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    I just hope that Filmation Zodak makes it to retail at some point. He's a must buy for me.

I'm surprised an official announcement about the end of these two-packs wasn't revealed a long time ago. So many poor choices.
    Wave 1:
    -Looks like the Suoerman/He-man pack sold well enough, but it would have done so much better if Superman was in his light blue costume that so many DCUC fans have been clamoring for.
    -No changes to Lex (other than a couple extra different coloured Kryptonite pieces) didn't help, but no Havoc Staff for Skelly was an EPIC FAIL. You simply do not release Skeletor without his most iconic weapon. It's like releasing He-man without his Power Sword, Thor without Mjolnir, Green Lantern without a power ring, Captain America without his shield, etc, etc. etc. You just don't do that without sales suffering because of it.
    Wave 2:
    -Reversed coloured Stratos was asked for, but Hawkman was untouched.... and Hawkman wasn't even that hard of a DCUC figure to track down the first time.

And wave 3:
    I love She-Ra, and don't own a Supergirl figure... but I won't purchase that 2-pack because the Supergirl is terrible, and I'd rather have the blue costume.....
    -bcrduke, are you saying that the Supergirl was going to be the one in the white t-shirt & not the blue costumed one? The one that rotted on pegs at TRUs for almost 2 years? THAT one? If so, then WOW. That's a whole new level of stupid. Stupid wouldn't even begin to describe how stupid that would be. I could go on all day about that particular Supergirl, but my head is starting to hurt. I'm going to go lie down now.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Surprised it took this long. They jacked up the prices and at my TRU the shelves are flooded with series one and two. I don't think they sold a single one. Typical Mattel went the cheap route and gave us undesirable figures at undesirable prices. Zodac is the first one I actually do want but not for $35 bucks. He will sit there in the flooded mess with the others. Waiting for clearance...oh wait TRU don't do clearance so he will sit for 5 years and then end up at a Big Lots or other second hand store. It's logistics people.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    -bcrduke, are you saying that the Supergirl was going to be the one in the white t-shirt & not the blue costumed one? The one that rotted on pegs at TRUs for almost 2 years? THAT one? If so, then WOW. That's a whole new level of stupid. Stupid wouldn't even begin to describe how stupid that would be. I could go on all day about that particular Supergirl, but my head is starting to hurt. I'm going to go lie down now.
    That's the one.

And She-Ra has been sold at Mattycollector.com twice now, since that announcement. A pegwarmer and a figure that you can get $10 cheaper months earlier.

We'll probably find out the next Wave of two packs at SDCC. I wonder though...if TRU doesn't want them, why not simply sell them on Matty?

No argument here...there were also fans of either one or the other property but not BOTH that didn't want to pay $30 for one figure. I tossed the DCUC out of all four packs, but I still think TRU not stocking ANYTHING is what really killed 'em. People can't buy what isn't there.

Face it, choosing between Mattel and TRU is like trying to decide between poop flavored chocolate or chocolate flavored poop. Either way, you're gonna eat crap.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Face it, choosing between Mattel and TRU is like trying to decide between poop flavored chocolate or chocolate flavored poop. Either way, you're gonna eat crap.
    Yeah that about sums up trying to collect certain lines over the last decade