Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC vs DC is DEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I think $30 bucks for variants/repacks was a bit much if all you want is just one of the figures. I never wanted the DC characters. As a MOC collector, I often saw the packaging in horrible banged up condition. Zodac is not a popular character, so he is going to do worse than even the Merman/Aquaman Stratos/Hawkman packs. I don't think this is any reflection on how a real MOTU line would do at retail again.
    I agree, often the packages on 50% of the items was damaged limiting MOC collectors and there are not too many parents that could spring for $30 to $40
    on a toy for their kid. Expecially with no cartoon tie ins
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Heroic Warrior
    Another issue is Toys R Us "brilliant" (Sarcasm) price gouging in more wealthy areas that has got them MAJOR heat from lots of organizations. Let's also be realistic about something here- it was the DC half that was an albatross around the neck of MOTUC not the other way around.

Heroic Warrior
    3 TRU around my parts and I only saw wave 2 once. Wave 1 I saw a few times but after He-Man/Supes sold out, Luthor/Skelly was left in numbers. I can drive to 3 different TRU's and buy, literally, 30 packs.

Have they said if the Zodac/She-Ra wave has shipped to TRU? I think it has, but I'm not nuts about either of these (no one seems to be, really) so I'd be OK if they never came out and could just save that cash.

REALLY bummed we didn't get at green Trap Jaw.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    That's a bummer. I personally wasn't hugely into these two-packs, but it was cool to see them at TRU AND I was really looking forward to Zodac with white gloves (hope they still decide to release that set). Also, I'm sure I would have liked the rumored Filmation colors Hordak. Perhaps they'll release some of these on Matty.

And maybe I'll finally pick up He-Man/Superman when it inevitably goes on clearance.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Heres an idea 'Sell the damn things internationally so that Ebay isnt making the money but you are!'

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    part of me's sad but on the whole I'm not too upset. I was only getting them because I'm a completionist and had to have everyone released but really I didn't want to have to buy a whole bunch of repaints as that's what killed the 200X line.

There were a couple up points about the repaints: I liked the paint on the 2-pack Skeletor better than the regular release and the Battle Armor Faker is a cool enough variant.

I have to admit now I'm a little scared the heavily requested repaints will wind up taking quarterly slots. Honestly while I wouldn't mind a Filmation Hordak I have no interest in most paint variants.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Aren't those that "loud minority"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Have they said if the Zodac/She-Ra wave has shipped to TRU? I think it has, but I'm not nuts about either of these (no one seems to be, really) so I'd be OK if they never came out and could just save that cash.
    I would assume so. If TRU didn't put in an order for those sets, it seems like Mattel wouldn't tell us that they'll probably still show up before the end of this year. And hopefully they won't be exclusive to TRU's online store. My MAIN excitement about the She-Ra 2-Pack was that her character was finally making it back to retail after over 2 decades.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    On Facebook, Vinto-Man made the observation that Faker brings death in 2-Packs.
    Correction: Battle Armor Faker...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    I just hope that Filmation Zodak makes it to retail at some point. He's a must buy for me.
    I feel like a high price might be on his head as the last figure in a dead line.

No offense meant to She-Ra of course, but that pack being straight reissues made it easy to pass on. Honestly, if Lex Luthor hadn't already strangled this line, I was really sure this wave would've done it in with "2001-03 Supergirl" & "Hal Jordan no. 11". It will always be a damn shame that they couldn't redeco the DC figures. It could've only helped.

We'd been commenting about IAT that the last wave (#5 & #6) of two-packs wasn't likely to see retail (it's why we asked that question in the first place), but I'm glad that Battle Armor Faker found a way out with this TRU deal. That's what makes me curious about the 6th pack - who did Battle Armor Faker beat out to survive?

Even though Toy Guru can't tell us the 2pk just yet, maybe we could get the identity of the DC reissue out of him so that we can endlessly speculate.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Disappointing for sure. Only way my kids were able to see MOTU in stores. Yet, not a big surprise b/c these figs. moved less than 200X Smash Blade He-Man & Spin Blade Skeletor.

It all goes back to how the first wave was handled.

Mattel's intentions hit a brick wall on two fronts, here.

1. Broadening the appeal of the MOTUC line proved difficult since the uninitiated toy buyer would have to shell out $30+ for a two pack with a DC figure they likely already had multiples of.

2. There would always be that nagging feeling that the MOTUC figure (notably Skeletor) would be incomplete. Skeletor without a havoc staff and He-Man without his power sword is just dumb. (Regardless of whether they didn't have them in the comic the pack included.)

I think a lot of people would have gladly taken the hit with another Superman/Luthor if the sets would have given them a complete enough He-Man/Skeletor. The two-packs were already dying from that point on.
    -"You want me to drive?!!"
    -"Hey, it's the 80's!"

This is disheartening news indeed. There could have been a LOT of cool packs.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Correction: Battle Armor Faker...
    And the Faker/Kobra Kahn staction 2-pack that died on the vine. Excuse me while I wipe away these tears...

Why isn't there a petition thread started to request the continuation of these repaints in single packs?

I've been torn about the Zodac and Mer-Man two packs, but haven't had to decide because they HAVE NEVER BEEN AVAILABLE in my area.

Sadness.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

This was inevitable. It should have gone to Matty exclusively after all of the pegwarmers from the first wave. Hopefully, if we don't see MOTUC VS DCUC continued online, we at least see the MOTUC repaints for the fans who want them. If Ram-Man goes the same way as Man-E-Faces, there will be a lot of people who'll want him in his normal colors after the cardback version is released.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Pretty much this.

I always feel for the international collectors who all jokes aside are being cornholed.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Heres an idea 'Sell the damn things internationally so that Ebay isnt making the money but you are!'

ka

Heroic Warrior
    That's too bad. Same reasons others have stated.

My TRU still has lex and skeletor. Too many wave 1 and bad ordering? I get to travel to other cities and purchased wave 2.

The packs did not seem mixed enough like the dc packs. lex/supergirl, batman/clayface, mogul/cyborg and I forgot the other one.

Lack of weapons and duplicates of the dcuc. I did not have any so I did not mind but I still have 2 lex luthors.

When I saw the 2 pack-news, at first I was really dissapointed but the reality is that they were way too expensive to buy on Ebay for us "loud" international fans.

I had to buy a 2-pack for one figure, I have no interest in the DC figure.

The figures seemed to be restricted by what tooling/budget variances were available. IE: BA Faker not having flat abs or an axe

I think it shows that the online sales method is the best way to sell MOTU. I really hope that Classic's never goes to retail

I'm hoping that these variants will still be released at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post

ka
    Yup. $100 on Ebay doesn't help the retailer or Mattel. $120 would have been the shipped price going by what the pre-order sellers were aiming for on Ebay for BA Faker

Man I wish I would have known our international fans needed the 2nd series so bad, I would have picked the bunch i saw up and sold them for cost I fail
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraKaiDojo View Post
    It all goes back to how the first wave was handled.

Mattel's intentions hit a brick wall on two fronts, here.

1. Broadening the appeal of the MOTUC line proved difficult since the uninitiated toy buyer would have to shell out $30+ for a two pack with a DC figure they likely already had multiples of.

2. There would always be that nagging feeling that the MOTUC figure (notably Skeletor) would be incomplete. Skeletor without a havoc staff and He-Man without his power sword is just dumb. (Regardless of whether they didn't have them in the comic the pack included.)

I think a lot of people would have gladly taken the hit with another Superman/Luthor if the sets would have given them a complete enough He-Man/Skeletor. The two-packs were already dying from that point on.

With this in mind, does anyone still think MOTUC going to retail outlets is honestly a good idea?

Did you need to see the disaster for yourself to understand why the strategy just won't work anymore?

A movie line? Sure. A line for the kiddies? Sure, why not. Classics? Aw, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no!
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Maybe its TRU's underestimating the market for MOTU internationally....

But lets face it, they aint the only ones who underestimate us!

Yes Im looking at you Mattel!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    It sucks, but not surprised considering TRU wanted $32 a piece for them.

I just wished we had gotten a Teela with BG Teela head with red hair.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Don't blame Mattel...blame TRU. They are HORRIBLE at ordering new stock. They still have a few DC retro action series ONE figures from 2009 hanging in my TRU store. They refuse to clearance them and get new stock. Now it's 2011, and four waves later, DC retro action is cancelled too due to "poor sales". Waves 2,3,4 never showed up AT ALL at my TRU store. Pretty hard for customers to buy non-existent stock.
    Same thing at my ToysRus.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Anybody else still think MOTUC at retail is a good idea?
    If it ever goes retail it'll be dead within a year. I GUARANTEE IT.
    It definitely will if Mattel puts all of its hope into selling their product at ToysRus. Other than nostalgia for picking up MOTU in a store again as well as the lack of shipping charges, I can't see any good that would come from MOTU at retail. Times have changed and most of the toys are being bought by adults. Since MOTUC is already covering that, putting the franchise in stores again is just going to kill it(and possibly for good this time too). If you include all of the gas spent on driving all over the place hunting for new releases, MOTUC might still be cheaper than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Almost everyone wanted She-Ra vs Wonder Woman and they put her with ****ing "Supergirl". Really?
    I'll see you in hell.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 16, 2011 at 01:07am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!