Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 054 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 054 Discussion!

Episode 054 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Jason Clarke, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.
    Plus, the crew enjoys a special guest appearance by Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich!"

Over the course of the show the crew touches on topics such as
    Filmation rights,
    styleguide info,
    Megator's missing accessory,
    clone wars,
    Scrollos and Songster,
    Filmation He-Man figure,
    30th anniversary logo,
    Fearless Photog
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    Queen Marlena
    Captain Glenn

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    (none)

Intro/Outro info:
    (none)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Georg Schwitters also know as THE_RAW on the forums. George is a freelance fine art and commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.myspace.com/georgschwitters

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 43 minutes, 34 seconds

Direct link for Episode 054

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    omg serious Gooble Overdose today!

I definitely gotz some listenin to do!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Wha-?

Val Staples: Editing Machine.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    It starts getting surreal
    Val rocks our socks off!

My system is getting saturated with Roast Gooble. I love it!

Wow, thanks. I just can't get enough of the Gooble. You're doing a great Job catching up for SDCC, Val, Thanks a lot!
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Heroic Warrior
    Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

I think I'll need to give the last, oh, 3 episodes another listen, because in the process of trying to keep up-to-date, I haven't retained much of what was said. Too much Gooble hitting me at once! And too distracted.

They could have changed the story of Teelas father without changing it totally to her just being a clone. Sorceress could have met a warrior and fallen in love but he was then killed in battle before Teela was born. This would add some tragedy to the Sorceress and make Teela seem like an individual character not just a clone of the Sorceress.
    I always liked that as well as the sci-fi and sorcery elements they had elements of more real life dramas and stories such as sibling rivalry and a single mother and adoption.
    As Eamon says, we don't get to see many characters family background and now one of the main ones has been turned into a simple clone.
    To me Teela will forever be a proper daughter to the Sorceress.

Bring on the Scrollos figure, I loved him! Much better than Songster.
    I'm sure they did show Scrollos face in the NA comics?

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I like that Teela is a clone. I dont like the cloning of the Powersword though.
    Also i dont get the discussion about a Filmation He-Man. If he would need a complete new look, he couldnt be part of MotU Classics. So do you want a seperate Filmation line, next to MotU Classics

How long does it take before the most recent episodes are available on iTunes? I keep refreshing the list and I don't see anything past episode 50 on my account. I would really like to download #51-54 before I leave for SDCC.

Soooo, Teela's origin is the only thing from MYP they rejected?

Can anyone point out to me what DVD I have to buy to find the planned story for season 3 of the MYP cartoon? I think I need that info for the MOTUC Timeline

Cool! I have serious catching up to do. I almost want to save the rest for the work week, will help get through the commute.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    I had an overdose.

I think they could(and would) absolutely do a Filmation He-Man using the existing MOTUC parts. It may feel a bit simple, but as long as the colors were spot-on to the animation cels it would probably work. I think it would be a far closer match than the 200X figure is to MYP.

It certainly wouldn't be the same as something like a 100% accurate maquette, but then again it wouldn't likely be referred to as Filmation He-Man or even Filmation inspired. He'd be Battleground He-Man or Warrior Adam or some name that goes with some specific story scenario within Classics, I assume.

It would be really cool if some company could make a series o small statues or maquettes representing many of the precise different styles we've seen. DCDirect's Batman Black & White series is impressive like that.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This goes back to what I was saying in the RGD 52 podcast thread.

Mattel singles out 200X heads when various other figures have the same multi-identity problem.

Which heads/looks do you choose to put in the style guide for:
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Moss Man
    Mer-Man
    Stinkor
    She-Ra
    Bow

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel singles out 200X heads when various other figures have the same multi-identity problem.
    Nobody said business execs were rational & clearheaded. Warner Bros has basically decided to only feature Batman & Superman in their direct-to-video DC Comics cartoons since Wonder Woman's DVD sales weren't as high as they'd hoped. Hasbro has basically made females in G.I. Joe convention or online exclusives since some of the retail sales on them weren't as high as the men. 2002 didn't last as long as NA so Mattel is wary of featuring them a lot in the franchise's latest toyline.

At least that's how I see it.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Despite my disagreement about the 200X heads, I really like Toyguru as a semi-regular guest!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Nobody said business execs were rational & clearheaded. Warner Bros has basically decided to only feature Batman & Superman in their direct-to-video DC Comics cartoons since Wonder Woman's DVD sales weren't as high as they'd hoped. Hasbro has basically made females in G.I. Joe convention or online exclusives since some of the retail sales on them weren't as high as the men. 2002 didn't last as long as NA so Mattel is wary of featuring them a lot in the franchise's latest toyline.

At least that's how I see it.
    I wish they would come out and say there is a bias. I'm not trying to go to the conspiracy route, but associating Emiliano as a 200X artist? Grief...

I wish they would come out and say there is a bias. I'm not trying to go to the conspiracy route, but associating Emiliano as a 200X artist? Grief...
    I haven't heard the podcast, but I will say I was surprised when I first heard that Val & Emiliano were Filmation & vintage fans. Granted, I haven't been a member of this site very long(at least not when compared to a lot of members), so I wasn't familiar with their preferences. I just kinda figured with their having worked on the 2002 comic that it would have been their era of choice.

I guess I'm no better than a Mattel exec.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I haven't heard the podcast, but I will say I was surprised when I first heard that Val & Emiliano were Filmation & vintage fans. Granted, I haven't been a member of this site very long(at least not when compared to a lot of members), so I wasn't familiar with their preferences. I just kinda figured with their having worked on the 2002 comic that it would have been their era of choice.

I guess I'm no better than a Mattel exec.
    I think you should listen to the podcasts. Plenty of great MOTUC discussions and insights there.

I I just kinda figured with their having worked on the 2002 comic that it would have been their era of choice.
    Technically (and I think I can say this on Emil's behalf as well. if not, my apologies to him) we're fans of all eras of MOTU and POP.
    But our heart lies with the original. It's where it all began so it will always be the well from which we draw our water.

We try to give insight on everything in the show, though, like MegaGearMax just mentioned. "Try" being the operative word.

Despite my disagreement about the 200X heads, I really like Toyguru as a semi-regular guest!
    Most definitely! It's a lot of fun having him on. He's always ready to address the good and the bad, and he takes it all in stride. That's pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

Up until this podcast I thought the 30th Anniversary logo from the press release looked pretty good, but now I'm starting to see all the little flaws you guys mentioned. In a way, I'm glad I'm not an artist.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks gents.

Thanks to Scott N for stopping by.

To Eamon:

We DO see Scrollos' face!

In UK's Masters of the Universe Adventure Magazine.
    Even on ORG, there's couple pages scanned.

Atleast in Issue #17, page 1 we see what Scrollos looks like.

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1408

To me, readin UK Comics, and with Scrollos being in shadows, he felt like a Watcher. Something above the mortals. Like Cosmic Keeper of Secrets.
    Secret Files of Scrollos sounds so cool, and has that mystery.

Songster is simply a story-teller. He tells about character's adventures maybe, but as far as I look at it, he wouldn't know secret origins like Scrollos.

That's why I think you can't compare the two.

Oh cool! Wait, did Scott basically say they still can't make Filmation characters? Or do we want to hope he's just literally saying they are not making Icer right now? Er, I fear some major disappointment this Friday! It's great hearing from him a little each episode though.

Eamon, you are so wrong about the Blackstar characters being unworthy! The Overlord, Klone the shape shifter, Vizir, Gargo and Tongo, Neptul Lord of the Quarium, the Lava Locs, Kodray the Lord of Time, and Mara the sorceress can all make great figures (and I'd like to get Taleena and Storm the Amazon from the show too)! Sure I don't care much about the Trobbits, which I suspect is the main part you are fearing (because you're bloody nuts to reject characters such as the Overlord), but I think those silly pink tree hobbits are at least better than the Twiggets or the Widgets in MOTU/POP. They just had too much screen time and theme music that could make your ears pop out.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 17, 2011 at 10:18pm.