Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 054 Discussion!

I hate Teela being a clone. I'm of the belief that just because something has precedent or a previous incarnation in another medium, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Teela being a clone was something that was best left in the dustbin of MOTU history in my opinion. Same for the power sword being split and having to be reunited. Teela's father is one of two things in my opinion, A) It actually is Man-At-Arms or B) Just some unknown man who we need not dwell on anymore.

On the topic of a Filmation He-Man in motuc, I'd be fine with a Filmation He-Man utilizing the classic buck. Change the wrist bands, belt, boots, colors, a new head, etc and it's good enough for me. Although I'd never say no to a 100% Filmation He-Man and Skeletor with all new tooling and stuff.

Oh, and I'd like Black Star figures too. King Neptul and his mer-warriors would look great teamed up with Merman. I'd also like a Queen Taleena figure. He-Man could always use another bad-girl to fight. Maybe her and Marzo could hook-up.

Hmm...looks like I need to pop my Blackstar dvds in and have a marathon tonight.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; July 17, 2011 at 10:37pm.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    While I'm not a big fan of Teela being a clone, I do love the clone story as its own separate thing. Like Eamon, I see it as being with the blond Teela, rather than the red head, and as I have both in my canon, I'm all for it.

On the choice of why she is a clone, I agree with Scott's reasoning. I couldn't imagine her in 200X being gone from the castle long enough to fall in love and marry the man. I always took it to be a few weeks she was gone, so I never thought of there being a wedding in Panda Town. Filmation (which is obviously off limits) made it seem like she was a young girl, whose husband was off in battle with the Horde. It made sense that she was (not aware she was) pregnant, husband died, and voila, she had to give up the baby. Like Val said, if ever the birth father was revealed, it would have to be someone very huge in the canon.

Re: Marlena's bio-I'm thinking the connection is that humans will voyage out into space and colonize Eternia... so is that what happens? Marlena visits Earth and sees the start of the trek out into space? And why does she return to Earth in the first place? I always envisioned she would return home to visit from time to time, but really? Really? The implications of returning to Earth are like an episode of Sliders. The Horde coming here would be insane, in the epic way.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    On the choice of why she is a clone, I agree with Scott's reasoning. I couldn't imagine her in 200X being gone from the castle long enough to fall in love and marry the man. I always took it to be a few weeks she was gone, so I never thought of there being a wedding in Panda Town. Filmation (which is obviously off limits) made it seem like she was a young girl, whose husband was off in battle with the Horde. It made sense that she was (not aware she was) pregnant, husband died, and voila, she had to give up the baby.
    I never had a problem with her leaving the castle during times of peace. She was free to leave the castle after the Three Towers had returned. So her being out of the Castle and having a relationship while the Snakemen, Horde, and Skeletor are all imprisoned or banished didn't bother me.

It also added to the character in my mind, because after being alone for who knows how long, her heart kind of got away from her. She knew the relationship was doomed, but she couldn't stop herself from being human. To me that actually enhances the Sorceress as a character and a person.

Like Val said, if ever the birth father was revealed, it would have to be someone very huge in the canon.
    For me it was actually Man-At-Arms or just some anonymous guy who was basically just a plot device to get Teela. If Man-At-Arms was her actual father, it's interesting to wonder if he knew he was the real father or not.

Val mentioned that he thought her father had to be someone of some significance if it were going to be revealed; I personally don't need him to be. For me the fact that her mother was the Sorceress of Grayskull is significant enough. If her real father wasn't Man-At-Arms then Teela's parentage isn't important enough for me to concern myself with beyond her mother and adopted father, MAA.

But that's me. I just hate that clone thing. So stupid in my opinion.

Bang your head!!!
    This along with the last two episodes are going on my iPod right now and will be listened to either today at work or on the plane to SDCC...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

Dude...Seriously???? My wife and I just finished Episode 50. Goodbye social life, it’s just me my pod cast and a basement. Signing out.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Can anyone tell me how to get these on my iTunes? I am subscribed but when I refresh the list I only see up to episode 50. I'm not seeing 51-54 yet. Am I missing something or is there another link to download these episodes from?

SCROLLOS!

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

The Earth/Eternia link, I'm going to re-state my theory. It's not early Earth people came to Eternia, it the other way around. Maybe some refugees from Preternia escaped to Earth.

I really, really liked this episode. Just kind of talking about a number of things, which does typically happen, but it felt a bit different than other episodes. I liked it.
    Always good to have Scott on, I love how he can explain things and is more than willing to make a good joke.
    And Jason's always been one of my favorite guest hosts.
    Hope to hear more like this in the future!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I've liked Scrollos ever since I snagged some UK comics in the 90s. He'd be the UK comics character I'd want the most as a figure.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Eamon, when you go on about "the art needs to be on-model" it really annoys me. Since you're the guy that did, what, nine or ten pieces of art for the UK Filmation He-Man S1 DVDs and never once drew He-Man or the power sword "on-model" for Filmation.

Which gets really egregious when you go and draw Skeletor, Teela, Orko, Sorceress, Randor, Marlena and so forth all fine on the same covers...

Well, in fairness, Eamon's been the first to say he wishes he could redo a number of his past covers for those and other reasons.

parthenogenesis

On the choice of why she is a clone, I agree with Scott's reasoning. I couldn't imagine her in 200X being gone from the castle long enough to fall in love and marry the man.
    The Sorceress guards Greyskull. She doesn't let anyone in. She doesn't need a man.

Teela should have been born via parthenogenesis.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I can't believe Scott never heard of Scrollos, that kind of killed what little hope I had of getting a figure of him, which I'd love, he's loads better then Songster who I have to say I think is lame.
    Here's some pics and gbagok bio for some info:

More pics here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=175247

Time for a MOTUC Scrollos thread?

I think I'm one of the only people who didn't mind Fisto being Teela's farther in 200x .

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Despite my disagreement about the 200X heads, I really like Toyguru as a semi-regular guest!
    Yeah me too.

I personally don't like any connection to Earth in MOTU and was hoping Marlena wouldn't be from Earth in her bio's, but despite that her bio's are infact really good, I'll just ignore the Earth bits nice to mention Photog but I wouldn't be fussed about a figure of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Soooo, Teela's origin is the only thing from MYP they rejected?

Can anyone point out to me what DVD I have to buy to find the planned story for season 3 of the MYP cartoon? I think I need that info for the MOTUC Timeline
    There's not actually that much about it on the 200x DVDs from BCI (aside from the episode 40 script and comic on Vol3), most of what we know has been pieced together from interviews and I've summed most of it up in your timeline thread, but you can get most of what we know from this Q&A with Ian Richter:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=118744

MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Oh cool! Wait, did Scott basically say they still can't make Filmation characters? Or do we want to hope he's just literally saying they are not making Icer right now? Er, I fear some major disappointment this Friday! It's great hearing from him a little each episode though.
    I greatly appreciate Scott taking the time out of his schedule to "nerd out" with other fans.

But again, this opportunity to clearly say "WE DO NOT HAVE FILMATION RIGHTS," was not taken. Very strange that it was not given past dialogues with him about the issue. His statement was sufficiently vague so as not to spill the beans before Friday, but nothing he said should make us think that Filmation rights are not in Mattel's hands in some way. And I, more or less quote:

"I'm sure that one day we will have Filmation rights, and when fans look back to our agreement with Classic Media over the style guide and other things, they will see it was a step in the right direction, whether we get the rights a day for now or several years from now."

The rights announcement is coming on Friday., and if not, the fan uproar, deserved or not, should help Mattel be better at "managing expectations," which has supposedly been their goal all along.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I like Teela being a stolen portion of the Sorceress' life force. I've always liked the fact that The Tale of Teela showed "Pro-life" The Goddess at her most merciful. It's sorta like a Grimm's fairy tale where you've always known the childhood version, but then you discover the real version as an adult.

I think The Tale of Teela is a rape story. Skeletor kidnapped the Goddess and stole a portion of her being against her will and fashioned it into an infant. Instead of reabsorbing the stolen portion of her power, the Goddess let the child live and MAA named it after the Goddess, whose name was Teela. The tale ends with He-Man considering the grim possibility that one day, the Goddess might want to be whole again and could reabsorb Teela.

We see the Goddess always hanging around with animals in nature before Skeletor starts acting up, so her being supportive of new life was very much in character, even if it was a stolen portion of her life force.

Now there's no way that could have been Teela's origin in a kid's cartoon, so they had to kiddify it down.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I don't like the Earth connection to MOTU period, not just Queen Marlena. I prefer the MYP way where all the action was on Eternia. Space adventures is best left to New Adventures.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

awesome show! ... always great to hear scotts thoughts/views on things ...

i may be in the minority, but i'm really not pro-filmation rights/styles ... the cartoon was cool when i was growing up, but the action-figures and their style were always more important and prominent to me ...

i can't ever see solid filmation styles in MOTUC ... i.e. a filmation-style he-man ... because then you essentially have 2 lines in the same line ...

on the subject of the MOTU 30th anniversary logo - it's pretty poor ... the colour on castle grayskull looks really bad and the shield looks like a trash-can lid ... they should have tried a bit harder with it i think, seeing as it's being built-up to be a huge event ... val and eamon have critiqued this way better than i have ... but i tend to agree with their thoughts (even though i haven't a clue about professional art/colouring! ) ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; July 19, 2011 at 12:16pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    GREAT Episode!!!

Loving having Poe fill in but I found myself missing Penny

Quick Hits:

Scott's drop-ins are getting increasingly must hear..... Can you ask him directly what the possibility of BraveStarr in MOTUC is?
    There's room for both Scrollos and Songster....
    I think the Megator "secret" accessory talk is pretty funny after the reveal on eBay..
    Eamon's critique of the 30th Ann. Logo was super interesting. He's got a nice ability to convey his art-nerd thought processes for the masses. For that matter, Val has this as well. I love hearing the 2 of you speak to the "values" and "rendering"

Not that they don't always entertain, but I really enjoyed this episode.

I really love Marlena's bio, if only because the space explorer aspect combined with the figure design makes for a gorgeous pulp heroine; kind of reminds me of a creation of my pal Steve Bryant: Athena Voltaire!

Concerning the 30th anniversary logo: I think the biggest issue with the shield is the perspective issue. The top half is a forced perspective, matching Castle Grayskull, but the bottom half is a straight-on view with no tilt to the shield at all!

And...

EPISODE 054
    Runtime: 1 hour, 43 minutes, 34 seconds

There are no Collectibles, Fan Sites, nor Fan Arts of the Week for this episode.

Your hosts: Val Staples A.K.A. JVS3; "Pixel Dan" Eardley; Jason Clarke, A.K.A. Poe Ghostal; and Eamon O'Donoghue.
    Special Guest: Scott Neitlich, A.K.A. Toyguru.
    Discussion: Queen Marlena and Captain Glenn bios

Items of Note:

Last edited by josh; July 31, 2011 at 12:08pm. Reason: Missing a period.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Josh rockin' the house!
    Thanks again!!!