Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 056 Discussion!

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,188
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's another take on Optimus Prime, like how Animated Prime was a rookie version or how G1 Prime was the John Wayne-esque character. This isn't the cartoon universe where the heroes let the villains escape or have some code against killing enemies, despite the franchise being about a war. The Autobots are heroic in the movies, saving human lives from Decepticon rampages and invasions. A big difference is that there is massive destruction after a Transformer fight and Bay Optimus stops Decepticons for good. That wasn't the first time we've had alternate versions of Transformers and it won't be the last time.

    One is a cartoon, one is a movie.

    MOTU might come across the same problem, especially if all of these warriors carry all of these ancient weapons, but no one gets killed or hurt.
    Even though it's a different continuity, Optimus Prime would never kill a prisoner who was begging for his life. To me Animated Optimus, G1 Optimus, and even Beast Wars Optimus all felt like alternate takes on the same character. True, they are all somewhat different, but they still have recognisable traits such as honor and a moral code. Michael Bay's Optimus does not seem to have any of those qualities, he should have captured Sentinel and imprisoned him, not executed him. I don't recognise him as the same character at all, despite having the same name and the same voice actor.

    Dolph Lundgren wasn't the same as the Filmation He-Man, but he still behaved in a manner appropriate for He-Man. I have no problem with cartoon characters becoming more violent when they are put on the big screen, but not when it destroys what I liked about the character to begin with. Optimus was plenty violent in the Animated Movie, gunning down several Decepticons, but that violence was justified because he was defending himself.

    I fully expect (and want) clashing swords in a live action He-Man movie, but the violence doesn't need to be gratuitous. Something along the lines of Star Wars is what i'm hoping for. Those movies have decapitations and severed limbs, but it's never depicted in a gory way.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; July 22, 2011 at 12:22pm.

  2. #27
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Even though it's a different continuity, Optimus Prime would never kill a prisoner who was begging for his life. To me Animated Optimus, G1 Optimus, and even Beast Wars Optimus all felt like alternate takes on the same character. True, they are all somewhat different, but they still have recognisable traits such as honor and a moral code. Michael Bay's Optimus does not seem to have any of those qualities, he should have captured Sentinel and imprisoned him, not executed him. I don't recognise him as the same character at all, despite having the same name and the same voice actor.

    Dolph Lundgren wasn't the same as the Filmation He-Man, but he still behaved in a manner appropriate for He-Man. I have no problem with cartoon characters becoming more violent when they are put on the big screen, but not when it destroys what I liked about the character to begin with. Optimus was plenty violent in the Animated Movie, gunning down several Decepticons, but that violence was justified because he was defending himself.

    I fully expect (and want) clashing swords in a live action He-Man movie, but the violence doesn't need to be gratuitous. Something along the lines of Star Wars is what i'm hoping for. Those movies have decapitations and severed limbs, but it's never depicted in a gory way.
    Sentinel wasn't begging for his life. He was justifying why he made an alliance with Megatron, killed Ironhide and tried to enslave the populace of Earth. Sentinel made his choice. After most of the commanding Decepticons are destroyed, Prime ended the conflict permanently. The war is over.

    In the Bayformers mythos, they don't take prisoners on either side. Autobots kill you then and there. Decepticons execute you after taking you prisoner. I don't think jail or mercy is the option that it is in the cartoons.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 22, 2011 at 01:45pm.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,188
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Sentinel wasn't begging for his life. He was justifying why he made an alliance with Megatron, killed Ironhide and tried to enslave the populace of Earth.

    In the Bayformers mythos, they don't take prisoners on either side. Autobots kill you then and there. Decepticons execute you after taking you prisoner. I don't think jail or mercy is the option that it is in the cartoons.
    If a new live-action movie MOTU ended with He-Man having Skeletor at his mercy and decapitating him instead of taking him prisoner, fans would be enraged, and rightfully so. That's not an alternate mythos. It's a writer and director failing to understand the lead character.

  4. #29
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    If a new live-action movie MOTU ended with He-Man having Skeletor at his mercy and decapitating him instead of taking him prisoner, fans would be enraged, and rightfully so. That's not an alternate mythos. It's a writer and director failing to understand the lead character.
    Fans who are expecting a live action Filmation cartoon maybe.

    That IS an alternate mythos. THAT He-Man is willing to kill Skeletor.

    In the 1987 movie, He-Man wasn't mega strong and he used guns. That would be Hollywood's take on the character. Did they fail to understand the mythos? That is another version of He-Man. Filmation He-Man, Jetlag He-Man and MYP didn't kill monsters, but He-Man in the early mini-comics did. He's also beheaded a Sandsnake in the Sunbird Legacy and that was during the Filmation Era.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  5. #30
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Fans who are expecting a live action Filmation cartoon maybe.

    That IS an alternate mythos. THAT He-Man is willing to kill Skeletor.

    In the 1987 movie, He-Man wasn't mega strong and he used guns. That would be Hollywood's take on the character. Did they fail to understand the mythos? That is another version of He-Man. Filmation He-Man, Jetlag He-Man and MYP didn't kill monsters, but He-Man in the early mini-comics did. He's also beheaded a Sandsnake in the Sunbird Legacy and that was during the Filmation Era.
    In the '87 movie He-Man was willing to spare Skeletor's life after his staff broke, but Skeletor didn't yield, attacked He-man again and fell of the tower during their final battle
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  6. #31
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    In the '87 movie He-Man was willing to spare Skeletor's life after his staff broke, but Skeletor didn't yield, attacked He-man again and fell of the tower during their final battle
    I wasn't inferring that 1987 He-Man would want to kill Skeletor. I was saying that that version of He-Man was how that particular Hollywood writer wrote the character, thus creating yet another version of He-Man.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  7. #32
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    I hope, if we get a new MOTU movie, He-Man has striped skin, uses a whip instead of a sword, wears silver overalls, and has a romantic relationship with Battle Cat. It's OK. It's just another continuity.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  8. #33
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I hope, if we get a new MOTU movie, He-Man has striped skin, uses a whip instead of a sword, wears silver overalls, and has a romantic relationship with Battle Cat. It's OK. It's just another continuity.
    Exactly. Just like the plot about Adam being a soldier from Earth. Or the one about Adam being trained by Zodak until he's He-Man. It's another continuity. Not one that most fans here would like, mind you, but that's exactly what it is.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  9. #34
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Exactly. Just like the plot about Adam being a soldier from Earth. Or the one about Adam being trained by Zodak until he's He-Man. It's another continuity. Not one that most fans here would like, mind you, but that's exactly what it is.
    I was being sarcastic. I honestly don't want another MOTU movie. We've had 2 already which I liked. Unless I can get a guarantee that I'll like the third one as well, I don't think it's worth the risk. At least to me it isn't. The same goes for a new cartoon as well. I've had 2 that I liked & 2 that I didn't. There's a good chance I won't like the potential 5th one.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    2,651
    Thanks Ladies and Gents.

    In hearing you all talk about those concepts characters I was surprised to hear Val go ga ga over figures. I figured I would never hear val go crazy over wanting certain figures.

  11. #36
    Heroic HamStar Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    965
    I've gradually been wading through the sea of Goobles and just finished 56 today.
    I haven't had time to post any specific thoughts in the past 5-7 ones, but I just wanted to say that i'm thoroughly enjoying them and to keep up the good work.

  12. #37
    Sunflower Golden Lord josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA>WI>608>MSN
    Posts
    1,173
    As Karla was describing the Bizarro vs Faker battle, I almost vomited because I'd been eating and started laughing so hard.



    EPISODE 056
    Runtime: 1 hour, 41 minutes, 42 seconds
    There are no Collectibles, Fan Sites, nor Fan Arts of the Week for this episode.

    Your hosts: Val Staples A.K.A. JVS3; Danielle Gelehrter, A.K.A. Penny Dreadful;
"Pixel Dan" Eardley; and Karla Marsh.

    Discussion: Hurricane Hordak and Leech MOTUC bios.

    Items of Note:

    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

  13. #38
    Court Magician Karla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    As Karla was describing the Bizarro vs Faker battle, I almost vomited because I'd been eating and started laughing so hard.
    Thanks Josh!! And THANKS EVEN MORE for helping to fill the Dragstor shaped hole in my life!!!

    You ROCK!
    When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •