Thread: Vintage 1980's Kids' Ads

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Vintage 1980's Kids' Ads

Recently I was going through some old vintage 1980s issues of Muppet Magazine, and there were all kinds of ads in those targeted toward those of us who grew up in the '80s. This thread is a celebration/gallery of those ads.

And heck, if anyone has any they'd like to share that would fit here, by all means, post away.

I have three separate threads in the "Vintage He-Man and She-Ra Forum" for ads concerning MOTU, and POP, and SOTS which also came from Muppet Magazine:

Vintage MOTU ads

Vintage SOTS ads

Vintage POP ads

There were a bunch, so I'm going to try and make each post its own sort of category; let's start off with a couple of "cousins" of the MOTU/POP universe, "ThunderCats" and "SilverHawks":

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; May 6, 2014 at 02:50pm.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Whoa Neophron, that is awesome! And dang what a lucky kid, lol.

Since this thread is in the "Other Forum" I wanted to share ads that aren't MOTU/POP, but I have shared your great find in the "Vintage MOTU ads" thread in the Vintage He-Man and She-Ra forum, crediting you. Man, what a gem!

Okay, here's some GoBots ads for you fans of those:

Since you can't post back-to-back threads at this site without the posts merging into one, if someone posts a comment or other ads in this thread then I'll be glad to keep sharing "categorized" posts of the other ads I've scanned. I love going back into what is for a lot of us our childhood!
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; May 5, 2014 at 03:32pm.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Yes! I love all of these ads. That Thundercats one is great!

The Silverhawks one reminds me of the time I found one of the bird accessories out of the package on the floor in Genovese. I still have it! Yes, technically it was theft.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
    Yes! I love all of these ads. That Thundercats one is great!
    Yeah, I do love that one! Glad you're enjoying this stroll down Memory Lane!

Very cool E.T. ad BJH! Here are some E.T. Shoes:

And to continue with the space theme, here's some Star Wars:

Star Wars Cookies?? Haha, awesome.

Okay, these are actually pretty awesome. Does anyone have any of the old Transformer ones, or maybe TMNT?
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    Okay, these are actually pretty awesome. Does anyone have any of the old Transformer ones, or maybe TMNT?
    Glad you're enjoyin' 'em :-) I do have half of one Transformers ad, lol, and along with that here are all the other non-MOTU/POP ones from those issues of Muppet Magazine. I first envisioned this thread being a nostalgia party like one here several years ago about 1980s kids' toy commercials and show intros on YouTube, but this one hasn't taken off, lol. So instead of waiting for chances to make separate posts to categorize the rest of these ads in individual posts, I'm going to put them all here in one big long one, "sub-sectioned":

UPDATE - Well, you can only post 15 images in one post, so here are the first 15 until someone posts a comment or ad, and then I can post more.

Alvin and the Chipmunks:

Choose Your Own Adventure:

Miscellaneous Action/Adventure:

Video Games/Computers:

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; May 19, 2014 at 10:17am.

OOh I love the chippette in the last picture(of the chipmunks) I think they are wanted lol!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    OOh I love the chippette in the last picture(of the chipmunks) I think they are wanted lol!
    lol...Jeannette was my favorite of the girls, and Simon of the boys.

Here are some ads geared for boys, and for girls:

"Boy Toys":

I totally had both the Hot Wheels Firebird Funny Car, and the Service Center. :-)

(Galmorzu, this last one is what I meant by saying I had "half" a Transformers ad, lol)

Girl Properties:

Who knew such a boy-brand like Tonka made something called "Star Fairies"? lol

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; May 19, 2014 at 11:01am.

Oh my god, I just noticed the Go-bots ad in one of the earlier posts...UGH, I forgot how awful some of those robots were from that line. I think I had that silver car, too...yikes.

Does anyone have any Battle Beasts or Dino-Rider ads? I know DR had commercials, but I wasn't sure if either had anything printed.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

These are pretty close to my #1 overall love everything about it toy ,ever!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    "Problems Weaver?"

Celebrate color with RAINBOW BRITE! lol

MISCELLANEOUS TOYS

FOOD ADS:

VARIOUS ADS:

Oh man, the first add for that Yummy Mummy cereal! Last year, Targets had some kind of promotion where they actually rereleased all of those Count Chockula spin-off cereal types. Actually picked up all 5 and was the first time I had the mummy. What year was that? I can't see a year on the ad itself, but I vaguely remember when it first came out.
    and keep moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    Oh man, the first add for that Yummy Mummy cereal! Last year, Targets had some kind of promotion where they actually rereleased all of those Count Chockula spin-off cereal types. Actually picked up all 5 and was the first time I had the mummy. What year was that? I can't see a year on the ad itself, but I vaguely remember when it first came out.
    Yeah, I always knew in the '80s that poor Boo Berry was so underused (he was barely in any of the commercials, it was always Count Chocula and Frankenberry as the big stars), but I was surprised when I learned some years ago about Yummy Mummy and Fruit Brute, two I had never heard of! And I'm not sure what year that exact ad is from, I'd have to look up which magazine it is---but it's between 1984 and 1988.

Here are some more TV ads (and man, the last one makes me so miss '80s Disney Channel!)

Various Kids' TV/Toons: