Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer/Windows Advice Please

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Computer/Windows Advice Please

So for many months now:

- my home computer will constantly "freeze" or "get stuck" on web pages (where I have to "try again" or "kill" the pages)
    - I am constantly having to go into LAN Settings and click "Automatically Detect Settings" instead of "Use Proxy Server"
    - I get a black window popping up that is labeled "tasking.exe" which runs some white text and then disappears, which I don't understand

- and now, as of yesterday, I can't get even get to my desktop or internet to do anything because it's trying to do Windows updates but says "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer"

I hope I don't lose anything, and if I have to pay someone to help fix this stuff, well so be it, but for now, any advice? Particularly on how to even get back onto my computer in the first place
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm not an "IT expert," but I know enough to be "dangerous."

Someone else may have some better advice, and if they do, hopefully they will post it, but I think I can hopefully help.

It sounds like you may have some kind of virus...

http://www.file.net/process/taskeng.exe.html

In short, there is a "real" taskeng.exe which is part of the system. But it sounds like you may have accidentally downloaded a virus that is disguised by the same name. I can't say for certain, but most likely it didn't "replace" the real one, but rather it's just given the same name and likely is saved somewhere else on the computer other than where the "real" one is. It's just named similarly to be more sneaky and less obvious that it is a virus/malware.

See if you can reboot your computer in "safe mode." Here are detailed instructions...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...mode=windows-7

... but essentially, when restarting your computer, just hold down the F8 key. This should allow you to choose to start the computer in safe mode. Hopefully this will let you get to your desktop. It will be a very low-resolution, super-basic version of your desktop. So don't be alarmed when you see that it doesn't look "normal." The goal here is to get you to a point where you can actually do something on your computer.

Once you get to your desktop in safe mode (assuming it works), see if your web browser will work at this point. If it does, download Malwarebytes, which is an anti-malware program. The link is below. There is a paid version with more features, but there is also a free version that you can download. The free version will likely be sufficient for your needs here (that it what I've used in the past to solve issues, including just a couple of weeks ago)...

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you are still not able to use your web browser (and therefore cannot go to the page to download malwarebytes), BUT you ARE able to get to your desktop, and access things like your CD/DVD drive (if you have one) and USB flash drives...

You can go to another computer (perhaps a friend or family member's computer if you don't have another one, yourself) and download the malwarebytes install file. It will simply be an .exe file, so you don't have to actually install the program on the computer that you are using to download it to... you just need to get the file, itself, downloaded. You can then copy that file to a flash drive or burn it to a CD-R/DVD-R.

Once you done this, put that flash drive or disc into your computer that you are having the problem with. Copy the .exe malwarebytes file to your desktop, click it, and install the program. It will have to download updates for the program which will take some time, but luckily you don't need to open a web browser to do so.

Once you have Malwarebytes installed and updated, have it run a full scan of your computer. This may take quite a while depending on the amount of overall files/data on your computer. It will scan everything, and it should pick up on most any "nasties" on your computer. This should hopefully take care of the file causing you a problem, and may even find some others that you aren't aware of and may not be related to this specific problem.

Once the scan finishes, it will list all of the things found, and you can choose to have them removed. Malwarebytes will likely want to restart your computer at this point to remove anything found. Go ahead and do that.

HOPEFULLY once this is done, everything should be back to normal.

Please reply back as to whether this works or not.

At the very least, this shouldn't make anything worse, but I also take no personal responsibility for anything that may go wrong (as unlikely as it is for this process to actually cause any problems that aren't already there). This is simply what I've done in the past when I've had issues with my computer.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; August 13, 2015 at 01:25pm.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Dynamo could not have laid it out any better for you.

What he's described here is exactly what you'd pay an "expert" for.

Dynamo is probably right. There is also the small outside chance the OS has been corrupted. In that case, if trying to remove the infection (or discovering there isn't one) the
    problems persist you should ensure your data is backed up (photos, docs, etc.) then use your recovery software/partition to reformat your hard drive, reinstall the operating system.
    Then get the latest drivers/OS updates, reinstall your Security software, reinstall your programs, and move your data back onto the machine from the backup.

It doesn't seem like a hardware issue based on the face description.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Thanks guys, and Dynamo I really appreciate your "Computers for Dummies" walkthrough, thank you so much for that...I hate to say though, it hasn't yet worked.

I did do the F8 thing, and it did get me to the primitive "options" screen, and I did choose "Safe Mode"...and then it listed all these commands or whatever in white on a black screen that scrolled on and on and on, but instead of going to my desktop, it went to this dang Failure Configuring Windows Updates / Reverting Changes screen again:

IMG_1473.JPG

It was on that screen for HOURS...the little "circle" is the cursor thinking, and I can't move it, but it stays there circling around the whole time, like it's "thinking"...then, finally, after HOURS, it goes to this Shutting Down screen:

IMG_1474.JPG

And it has been "Shutting Down" overnight and is still there as we "speak". This is the exact same routine it did the past couple of nights when I restarted it, but I was so disappointed this time...I thought the F8/Safe Mode thing would get me in...*sigh*...

I am really hoping to get back up and running because I am so unhappy in my job and my PC working so I can apply for jobs online...so this is even extra frustrating...
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 18, 2015 at 11:18am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    As per my PM, I sent a link to this thread to a friend of mine who is more computer savvy than me. Unfortunately I haven't seen a problem like this before, so I'm kind of stumped, myself, at this point.

Either he might sign in and post (he does have a screen name here, but he's only ever posted a small handful of times), or if he replies directly to me and has any advice, I'll relay it here.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Thanks Dynamo. This is so frustrating to me because, not only can I not do things like keep up with my family archiving I do (old and photos, etc.), I can't do any of my social networking stuff, and what hurts the most right now is that my main outlet for job research and applications is cut off as long as I can't use my PC. I am miserable at my current workplace; I have never been this unhappy or this stressed on any other job I've had before, and I am aching to get out of here. So I'm all pumped to research online, apply, and write to some companies, but I can't until I can get past this glitch :-(

I did see one search result on this say to try "Last known good configuration" at the boot-up screen when you hold F8 while powering up, but I haven't tried that yet...I'm not sure what it would do (I don't wanna lose anything), or if it would even make any difference at all in getting past these dang screen caps I posted above...

Widget
    If you can't get back into your desktop and nothing in F8 worked. Go into your Compaq System Recovery by pressing F10. There you have a list of options. You should see something called Microsoft System Restore. Try that first.

Thanks Tiger, but my concern would be, would I lose anything by doing "Microsoft System Restore"?

Widget
    It's like turning back the clock on your computer. Only updates and software will be effected, personal files will be safe. Simply choose the date you want to restore back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Thanks Tiger, but my concern would be, would I lose anything by doing "Microsoft System Restore"?
    It's perfectly safe and it's what I would do. You won't loose any files like pictures.

If you did download something like a virus, it might fix your computer for by reverting your system to an earlier version before the virus was downloaded.

Any time I download any new program I manually create a restore point just so I can revert back if I have to.
    Transparently Yours,

Bonehead

Thanks guys...yes, pictures, music files, iTunes, documents, there are thousands of files I am desperately wanting my PC to "keep" and let me still have access to. I have done data backups on DVDs in the past, but it's been a few years since I did those---you can bet that after this worrisome frustration, if everything is indeed fine, I will be doing a fresh data back-up of everything on new discs again.

I'm going to trust you techy (lol) guys and try this tonight...hope to have GREAT news tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

You won't believe this.

So I get home yesterday and after a couple of days of leaving it alone it's still stuck on "Shutting Down". So I manually re-start it yet again (using the power button), and when the first brief screen with the F10 and so-forth options comes up I hit F10. That takes me to a screen of light blue/gray with several options, but there is no option for "Microsoft System Restore". It is this "BIOS Setup" screen, with these tab headings, and no "Microsoft System Restore" among them (photo I found via Google Images):

I spent a few minutes looking around, but since I didn't see anything resembling "Microsoft System Restore", I exited. Well then the Windows logo formed on a black screen (like at usual start-up), and this time it said "Welcome", and then miracle of miracles, it went through! First there was a green screen with what looked like a tasking.exe window (I didn't see the heading cause it was covered up by a smaller window but that's what it looked like), and this smaller window said something like "Personalizing desktop" or "Personalizing desktop options". This green screen/windows stuff I had sometimes seen before on previous "normal" start-ups (i.e., before this frustrating period had begun).

So then it went to my desktop, I got online, and it's still doing the glitches I listed in my first post (another thing is very very often when I open a new tab or new page it will make a sad page face and say, I think, "The page cannot be displayed - Err_timed out"). Then I come here and, Dynamo, I follow your suggestions to the letter. I got Malwarebytes, ran it, did the scan, and after a long time through a boatload of files it "detected" 105 potentially dangerous things. And I click to quarantine/purge them, and then yes, it does ask me to re-start my computer to finish the process, just like you said. So naturally I click yes. It closes everything out and goes to that "Shutting Down" screen.

45 minutes later, it is still on that damn "Shutting Down" screen.

So I wonder if maybe it's just taking a long time because of the process it's gone through or what, but I'm thinking maybe it's probably all "cleared up" by now and could just use a fresh restart, so I hit the power button and turn it off, wait about 10 seconds, and turn it back on again hoping I'm home-free.

Well, I'm not. I'm back to square freaking one. *sigh*...

IMG_1473.JPG

It was on here for 3 hours before changing to "Shutting Down", and yes I tried re-starting and doing F8 for "Safe Mode" and it did the same thing.

I did notice though that now when I've shut it down from this "Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer" screen, when I power back up it goes to the "Windows did not shut down properly."-Safe Mode/Normal Mode options screen, which it had not been doing this past week until now. And now when I try both "Safe Mode" and "Start Windows Normally", it goes to "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer."...and after a few minutes it goes to that dreaded "Failure" screen again, and it's the same frustrating cycle.

How was I able to get in that one time? I thought maybe having been in the F10 screen for several minutes (when I was looking around for "Microsoft System Restore") maybe caught everything up? I tried that trick again though, and it went to "Failure" yet again.

I also noticed on that brief screen that lists the F10 option that's only on screen for a few seconds, it also has other options, including "Boot", "Boot from LAN", and "F11=System Recovery". It's like the screen below, with those logos, but without the things in green, and the options are a bit different (this is the closest pic I could find):

I'm guessing/hoping "F11=System Recovery" might help? If that will still keep all my files safe and accessible. But I guess that might go to a point before my Malwarebytes download and I'll have to do that again? But, then it will want to restart again, and that's what got me back into this home PC nightmare. Perhaps before doing the Malwarebytes thing again (if I can get back in) I should go in to wherever and change to "manually" update Windows?

I'm sorry to have this to report, it's so frustrating having gotten back into "PC freedom" for a brief glorious moment. I tried to spell out everything in detail here so you guys can see all the steps I've gone through. Man I really wanna get things back to normal, especially after this bad work week I've had I really am gunning to do some online job applications and contact some companies (this is the unhappiest place I've dver worked, and I'm stuck between two very rude, disrespectful people...it's very trying on me and I hate it). In the meantime, Dynamo, Dice, Deviot, Tiger, and Bonehead, please know I appreciate your all's help and input VERY much.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 20, 2015 at 09:12am.

Thanks guys...yes, pictures, music files, iTunes, documents, there are thousands of files I am desperately wanting my PC to "keep" and let me still have access to. I have done data backups on DVDs in the past, but it's been a few years since I did those---you can bet that after this worrisome frustration, if everything is indeed fine, I will be doing a fresh data back-up of everything on new discs again.

I'm going to trust you techy (lol) guys and try this tonight...hope to have GREAT news tonight!

- - - Updated - - -

You won't believe this.

So I get home yesterday and after a couple of days of leaving it alone it's still stuck on "Shutting Down". So I manually re-start it yet again (using the power button), and when the first brief screen with the F10 and so-forth options comes up I hit F10. That takes me to a screen of light blue/gray with several options, but there is no option for "Microsoft System Restore". It is this "BIOS Setup" screen, with these tab headings, and no "Microsoft System Restore" among them (photo I found via Google Images):

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c02009368.gif

I spent a few minutes looking around, but since I didn't see anything resembling "Microsoft System Restore", I exited. Well then the Windows logo formed on a black screen (like at usual start-up), and this time it said "Welcome", and then miracle of miracles, it went through! First there was a green screen with what looked like a tasking.exe window (I didn't see the heading cause it was covered up by a smaller window but that's what it looked like), and this smaller window said something like "Personalizing desktop" or "Personalizing desktop options". This green screen/windows stuff I had sometimes seen before on previous "normal" start-ups (i.e., before this frustrating period had begun).

So then it went to my desktop, I got online, and it's still doing the glitches I listed in my first post (another thing is very very often when I open a new tab or new page it will make a sad page face and say, I think, "The page cannot be displayed - Err_timed out"). Then I come here and, Dynamo, I follow your suggestions to the letter. I got Malwarebytes, ran it, did the scan, and after a long time through a boatload of files it "detected" 105 potentially dangerous things. And I click to quarantine/purge them, and then yes, it does ask me to re-start my computer to finish the process, just like you said. So naturally I click yes. It closes everything out and goes to that "Shutting Down" screen.

45 minutes later, it is still on that damn "Shutting Down" screen.

So I wonder if maybe it's just taking a long time because of the process it's gone through or what, but I'm thinking maybe it's probably all "cleared up" by now and could just use a fresh restart, so I hit the power button and turn it off, wait about 10 seconds, and turn it back on again hoping I'm home-free.

Well, I'm not. I'm back to square freaking one. *sigh*...

IMG_1473.JPG

It was on here for 3 hours before changing to "Shutting Down", and yes I tried re-starting and doing F8 for "Safe Mode" and it did the same thing.

I did notice though that now when I've shut it down from this "Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer" screen, when I power back up it goes to the "Windows did not shut down properly."-Safe Mode/Normal Mode options screen, which it had not been doing this past week until now. And now when I try both "Safe Mode" and "Start Windows Normally", it goes to "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer."...and after a few minutes it goes to that dreaded "Failure" screen again, and it's the same frustrating cycle.

How was I able to get in that one time? I thought maybe having been in the F10 screen for several minutes (when I was looking around for "Microsoft System Restore") maybe caught everything up? I tried that trick again though, and it went to "Failure" yet again.

I also noticed on that brief screen that lists the F10 option that's only on screen for a few seconds, it also has other options, including "Boot", "Boot from LAN", and "F11=System Recovery". It's like the screen below, with those logos, but without the things in green, and the options are a bit different (this is the closest pic I could find):

http://pic.wenwen.soso.com/p/2010042...-664861953.jpg

I'm guessing/hoping "F11=System Recovery" might help? If that will still keep all my files safe and accessible. But I guess that might go to a point before my Malwarebytes download and I'll have to do that again? But, then it will want to restart again, and that's what got me back into this home PC nightmare. Perhaps before doing the Malwarebytes thing again (if I can get back in) I should go in to wherever and change to "manually" update Windows?

I'm sorry to have this to report, it's so frustrating having gotten back into "PC freedom" for a brief glorious moment. I tried to spell out everything in detail here so you guys can see all the steps I've gone through. Man I really wanna get things back to normal, especially after this bad work week I've had I really am gunning to do some online job applications and contact some companies (this is the unhappiest place I've dver worked, and I'm stuck between two very rude, disrespectful people...it's very trying on me and I hate it). In the meantime, Dynamo, Dice, Deviot, Tiger, and Bonehead, please know I appreciate your all's help and input VERY much.
    From the looks of it, the virus might have corrupted your installation of Windows. If you use your System Recovery partition (F11) the computer will reformat the rest of the hard drive (Basically erasing EVERYTHING) as I stated earlier. It will then reinstall Windows, and whatever minimal software demos came with the PC. Basically all of your files, and programs will be GONE. The computer will be put back to the way it was the day you took it out of the box for the first time. Your PC will work, but everything will be GONE.

So what I would do if you have files you need to keep (Pictures, songs, documents, etc.) is BEFORE doing that see if you have a second computer or access to a friend or relatives for temporary purpose.
    If you do, the next step would be to get a hard drive enclosure. Get one that uses IDE AND SATA connections in case you're not sure which type your hard drive uses.
    Once you have one, you can take the hard drive out of the computer, and connect it to the drive enclosure. The enclosure should include a USB cable. Now once you have that set up make sure the other PC isn't connected to the internet. You can create a folder on that computer's desktop, call it "Backup". Then you can plug in the drive enclosure with your drive in it, and barring any security issue on the drive preventing it, scour the hard drive for your files. Usually they would be under (Drive letter probably D or E once plugged in)/Users/MerMans Minion/ and under that would be the default save folders for documents/photos/music. Of course if you saved anything elsewhere you'll have to go digging for it. As you find the files you'll have to copy, and paste them to that backup folder on the desktop. Once that is done, you should use Malwarebytes, or whatever security program they have to scan the backup folder in case any virus attached itself to your backed up items. If so, delete the folder, and call it a loss. If not, the next step is to migrate that folder to a USB flash drive. Why a flash drive? because they're cheap, and hold way more than DVD. Plus you won't be there all day burning discs. Once you have your files migrated to the flash drive, disconnect everything, and erase the backup folder so your stuff isn't tying up their computer.

With that out of the way, take the hard drive out of the enclosure, put it back in your computer, and boot to the system recovery partition (F11) Proceed to follow the directions, let it reformat the drive, reinstall Windows. Once done, get all of the updates for windows, reinstall Malwarebytes, and all of your programs (ie break out the DVD's for Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, Doom 3, World Of Warcraft, along with any other programs you use.)
    Once you have everything installed, and secure, you can connect your flash drive, and move your backed up files back onto the computer.

If all of that sounds too complex, you can take the computer to a professional to have them do it for you. Don't go to a big box store, go on Angie's List, and find a reputable A+ small biz technician to do it.
    The big box stores (Staples, OfficeMax, Best Buy, etc.) basically connect your computer to a remote service to do 90% of the work now. If they can't get online to the service to have the third party do it (Which they can't. The system
    isn't getting into Windows for them to run their app.) it will take them days to get it done as you're in a que, waiting behind 50 other people ahead of you. A credible small biz will go to you, and probably get it done cheaper.
    Depending on how much stuff you have on the hard drive to back up. If it's Gigs, and Gigs of data that gets up there as that will add hours. If not, then the whole thing is done in a couple of hours.

All of this is assuming of course that the hard drive itself hasn't gone bad. It doesn't sound like it has. It sounds like a corrupted Windows installation.

BUT IF IT IS: Then instead of a drive enclosure, and an afternoon, we're talking about sending the drive out to a company like Seagate or Western Digital for recovery, and that isn't cheap. At that point you would also replace the hard drive, then reinstall windows/programs/updates/etc. (You'd have to call the computer manufacturer to send you Windows on DVD since the partition would have been on the broken hard drive.) You'd have a working computer, but your files would be gone. You could still send the bad drive out for recovery but again that's $800+. The data has to be priceless for it to be worth it to you.

There is also the less drastic option of "Repairing" the Windows installation, but that requires a physical DVD copy of the version of windows installed on that drive, and it also
    depends on just how corrupted the installation truly is. If it's just a file or two a CHKDSK command line might solve the problem. If it's far worse than that we're back to a drive enclosure back up, and a reformat/reload again.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; August 20, 2015 at 10:45pm.
    The Deviot
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Wow, thanks Deviot...yeah, that all sounds way above my head so I would definitely need help with that.

Good news is I got back online tonight! *phew*...I've noticed improvements since Malwarebytes purged 105 "bad" things; pages are going much faster now, and no more "This page can't be displayed - Err_ timed out", etc. This is a very nice breath of fresh air.

I am doing some job applications online as we speak, and my next step will be to save ALL of my files I want to keep on DVD discs as "file items"; another guy advised me to completely re-install Windows after saving everything in file form on DVD discs, so that will be my next project (I have done this in the past, but not in a few years, so of course now there are things I want saved that I don't have on my old discs).

Thank you again guys for so much help and advice here.

Court Magician
    Late to this party, and don't have too much to add to what's already been advised here. However, I will say that I have had a lot of computer problems over the years, including viruses. Once I do get a virus, the best thing to do is wipe the hard drive. That will restore the computer to factory settings, should get rid of the virus, and the computer will run faster & better than before. I talked to an IT person a while back, and their recommendation was that even if you're not having any problems, wipe the hard drive at least every 6-12 months anyway.

I have saved a lot of money by doing this, and it's great to be able to solve the problem myself instead of having to pay someone to figure it out for me.

That being said, if you go this route, I would also back-up anything you need separately before you wipe the hard drive.

Thanks man-e-faces, that's good to keep in mind too. If I do that, I may have to keep a "log" of what all I download or put on my PC after "starting over" again, so in essence I would only need to make "back-up file discs" for the "new material".

This reply has brought to you by "quotes", lol.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that concerns me...will "starting all over" by re-installing Windows on my PC wipe out my iTunes? I'm assuming once I get a browser again I'll have to re-download iTunes, but will it keep my library somehow, or will it all be gone? Regardless, I will be saving my iTunes files as data files to my backup discs like everything else I'm saving to data files. I just wondered though...

Thanks man-e-faces, that's good to keep in mind too. If I do that, I may have to keep a "log" of what all I download or put on my PC after "starting over" again, so in essence I would only need to make "back-up file discs" for the "new material".

This reply has brought to you by "quotes", lol.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing that concerns me...will "starting all over" by re-installing Windows on my PC wipe out my iTunes? I'm assuming once I get a browser again I'll have to re-download iTunes, but will it keep my library somehow, or will it all be gone? Regardless, I will be saving my iTunes files as data files to my backup discs like everything else I'm saving to data files. I just wondered though...
    Any songs you've bought from Apple should be in your account, and would be able to be downloaded again. Anything you bought elsewhere, and added, (Ripped a CD to mp3 format) would be gone, and have to be re imported into iTunes.
    The Deviot

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Any songs you've bought from Apple should be in your account, and would be able to be downloaded again. Anything you bought elsewhere, and added, (Ripped a CD to mp3 format) would be gone, and have to be re imported into iTunes.
    Hmm, I wonder how that works though, like for instance, since I will be saving my iTunes Library folders as file documents on a data disc, if, when I upload those to my "refurbished" desktop, if everything will be back again? I do have a LOT of material on there that's not Apple that I don't want to lose...

Hmm, I wonder how that works though, like for instance, since I will be saving my iTunes Library folders as file documents on a data disc, if, when I upload those to my "refurbished" desktop, if everything will be back again? I do have a LOT of material on there that's not Apple that I don't want to lose...
    You'll have to re import them. You'll have to move the files back on the computer, fire up iTunes, and import them into the program as you have before.
    The Deviot

-?

I think I see what you mean, thanks; because some of these songs I no longer have in my possession tangibly (i.e., CDs), they're just in my iTunes. So as long as saving my library right now "as is" would be a way to upload them back on there...

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    Late to this party, and don't have too much to add to what's already been advised here. However, I will say that I have had a lot of computer problems over the years, including viruses. Once I do get a virus, the best thing to do is wipe the hard drive. That will restore the computer to factory settings, should get rid of the virus, and the computer will run faster & better than before. I talked to an IT person a while back, and their recommendation was that even if you're not having any problems, wipe the hard drive at least every 6-12 months anyway.

I have saved a lot of money by doing this, and it's great to be able to solve the problem myself instead of having to pay someone to figure it out for me.

That being said, if you go this route, I would also back-up anything you need separately before you wipe the hard drive.
    Before upgrading to Windows 10 I went 4 years without reformatting with little to no problems. Malware/Virus wouldn't last more than a second on my PC. Keeping your computer up to speed and infection free is possible even with free software.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRaptorFX View Post
    Malware/Virus wouldn't last more than a second on my PC. Keeping your computer up to speed and infection free is possible even with free software.
    I'm confused now...I thought the notion was I should re-install Windows 7 for a "clean start"? What other alternatives do you mean? I've already used Malware and there are still some glitches going on, so I suppose I will need a clean slate with a new re-install of Windows 7...

What I would recommend is to buy a SATA-to-USB adaptor like this :

With this, you will be able to connect your hard drive to a USB port on another computer, and it will allow you to save your photos, videos, music, document files to somewhere else.

This kind of adaptor is not expensive and is very usefull!

Then, if you can't remove the virus you have, I would recommand to format the hard drive and to reinstall windows (beware, formating your hard drive will remove everything you have on it, so back up everything before)
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Widget
    I'm confused now...I thought the notion was I should re-install Windows 7 for a "clean start"? What other alternatives do you mean? I've already used Malware and there are still some glitches going on, so I suppose I will need a clean slate with a new re-install of Windows 7...
    I would do what the others have recommended and reformat. Malwarebytes doesn't always find and fix everything. After that go a head and reinstall Norton. I don't have time at the moment, when I get home tonight I'll explain everything.

Quote Originally Posted by musclor.fr.st View Post
    What I would recommend is to buy a SATA-to-USB adaptor like this :

With this, you will be able to connect your hard drive to a USB port on another computer, and it will allow you to save your photos, videos, music, document files to somewhere else.

This kind of adaptor is not expensive and is very usefull!

Then, if you can't remove the virus you have, I would recommand to format the hard drive and to reinstall windows (beware, formating your hard drive will remove everything you have on it, so back up everything before)
    Well I appreciate the thoughtful suggestion musclor, but 1) I don't have another computer, and 2) I've already saved files to DVD discs in the past and I'm going to do that again this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRaptorFX View Post
    I would do what the others have recommended and reformat. Malwarebytes doesn't always find and fix everything. After that go a head and reinstall Norton. I don't have time at the moment, when I get home tonight I'll explain everything.
    That was pretty much my plan, re-save everything as data files to discs, then re-install Windows; shall I need to "reformat the hard drive" and then re-install Windows? Or does re-installing Windows already re-format the hard drive in the process?