Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

The Descendents

Wow, why did I not see this sooner? This is one of the best movies of 2011. Since Drive was not nominated, I would have given this best picture and Clooney best actor. I haven't seen the artist, but there is no way it's better than this.

The story follows a real estate attorney whose wife is in a coma. He soon finds out shocking things. His wife won't make it out of the coma and that she's been cheating on him. So he does what anyone in his position would do, go on a hunt to meet this guy with his two kids.

The story and acting in this movie is fantastic. The movie is a little too real at times, where it hits home whether you've experienced the same things or not, but also very funny. You can just imagine yourself in the same positions. This is the best of Clooney honestly. His character is just so real, sometimes you feel like you're eavesdropping on him. Another stand out is the girl playing his eldest daughter, so good.

I'd really make the effort to see this. One really interesting aspect of the movie is that it only covers the non-scenic parts of Hawaii, away from the mainland, the non-touristy places you don't typically see.

The Lorax: Even though I never read the book or saw the TV special, I really wanted to see this movie. It did not disappoint. Sure, it has a "green" agenda(not that that's a bad thing), but I thought it had some great voice work, lovable characters, laugh out loud moments, and was even touching. This is Illumination's best movie yet imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Wow, why did I not see this sooner? This is one of the best movies of 2011. Since Drive was not nominated, I would have given this best picture and Clooney best actor. I haven't seen the artist, but there is no way it's better than this.
    I saw them both the same night and, while I liked The Descendants as well, I thought The Artist deserved winning Best Picture. If you can get past it being black & white as well as silent, it's a brilliant movie.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    RoA wasn't all that imo......Crow is overrated , yeah it's good but not great imo.

Rocky I......6/6 , wow the great characters and the music is out of this world. One of the greatest from last 35 yrs.

TMNT '03.....4.5/6 , pretty good after the abysmal III. I hope they will make another one similar to I but that's not gonna happen......more $ in PG rating.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

finally watched paranormal activity 2...i did not care for it.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Day of the Locust onald Sutherland 1975... Fantastic... wish i saw this sooner... what a great ending!!!

Hardly Working : Jerry Lewis 1980....... UGh... so bad it was GREAT!!!!

The Baby : Anjanette Comer 1973.... Whoa man.. this was almost like a creepy fetish film in some ways ...with a ending outta left field.... still thought it was pretty good
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Rampart: A limited release cop drama with Woody Harrelson as "Bad Lieutenant"-lite. The cast was strong and the performances were good, but it wasn't something we haven't seen before in much better movies.

Project X: This movie had its moments and I'm kinda on the fence with it, but its general ugliness as well as the extremely cliched "happy ending" lead me to say it's not worth seeing unless you want to see some bland scenes featuring unimpressive topless girls.

Gone: I think this movie is a great thriller(whose trailer unfortunately gives away too much) with too many red herrings & an extremely anticlimactic ending. While those flaws almost ruin everything that came before, I feel there's enough here to warrant a viewing.

John Carter: I think this movie is sooo much better than the lousy advertising campaign would lead you to believe. It is a tad slow in the middle and the lead actor, at times, suffers from what I felt Chris Evans did in Captain America(his performance is a little stiff and he isn't as charismatic as he should be), but otherwise this movie is a fun & exciting adventure that looks exactly like something out of the 80's if you exchange the "cheese" for better special effects.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 12, 2012 at 10:54am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Sucker Punch - Special effects/fights were ok. Other than that I wasn't a fan. Very weird movie.

I Love You Phillip Morris - Very good. I didn't know it was based on a real person. It was funny and entertaining.

John Carter - I might go back and see it again with the girlfriend. She might even like it.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Watched Birdemic: Shock and Terror over the weekend... pretty funny... i guess it was made "bad" on purpose... pretty funny tho...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

I went on a rampage and bought a bunch of DVD's - I never do that. Here are the highlights-

Redline - Uber-cool anime, hand drawn over 8-years, about a huge race-tournament held on different worlds, with aliens, robots and super-heroes all participating. It's a simple story, with amazing visuals and some real soul. Can't recommend it enough, even to folks who don't really care for anime.

Immortals - Wow. Pretty brutal fantasy, with fun performances by Mickey Rourke and Henry Cavill, and AMAZING visuals. Stand apart from 300 and Clash of the Titans, despite the similar themes and genre. I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would, and I thought I would.

Comic Book Confidential - an old documentary from '88 about the evolution of comics. Great interviews with Jack Kirby, Will Eisner, Stan Lee, Robert Crumb and Frank Miller (YOUNG Frank Miller!) plus many others. Pumped me up for Wondercon this weekend. (Currently on Netflix)

Machette Maidens Unleashed! - Another doc about the B-movie films that were made in the Philippines in the 60's and 70's. Lots of fun, with ridiculous footage of old Corman exploitation films, and great interviews with Corman, Joe Dante, and a particularly hilarious John Landis, who skewers the rose-tinted glasses that everyone tries to look back with. Lots of nudity and gore, so be warned if you're not into that. I probably wouldn't care to watch half the movies they show, but I love learning about them. (Currently on Netflix)

The Secret World Of Arrietty: It's funny seeing an animated movie that doesn't feature musical numbers, slapstick humor, or characters made for merchandising. This anime released in the US by Disney is wonderful. It's based on the children's book series The Borrowers which was not only already made into a live action movie awhile back but spawned a similarly themed series of books called The Littles which had their own TV series as well as a theatrcially released animated movie. Compared to American cartoons, this may seem slow & quiet, but that's what lets you drink in the rich world that the characters inhabit as well as the moving storyline they are involved in.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Watch JOHN CARTER at the movie theater.

Watched THE ANNOUNCEMENT (about Magic Johnson announcing he had HIV) on ESPN.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

The Viral Factor: An over the top Hong Kong action movie that, while far from realistic, is a pretty entertaining ride.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    The Lorax: Lots of fun, i recommend it and Danny Devito was awesome as the title character.

Secret of Arreity: Another Ghibli masterpiece
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Ben Hur: I've never seen this movie before so what better way than the way it was meant to be seen? At the theater. I caught this tonight and while very, very long, I can understand why it's considered a classic. Man they don't make epic movies like this anymore!

JOIN THE GROUP...

21 Jump Street

Two rookie cops get sent to the 21 Jump Street undercover operation to take down a drug operation in a certain high school. The two went to high school together in opposite social circles, but what was cool back then no longer works, so both of them deal with going to high school all over again.

It's a fun movie, not hilarious, but funny. Channing Tatum is surprisingly really enjoyable in this. It also has a major cameo I was not expecting.

I'd reccomend it, no Bridesmaids or Hangover, but good comedy.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

The Iron Lady

I wish the film spent less time with Margaret Thatcher in the present with dimentia and more time in the past as Prime Minister but otherwise, it is a good film. Meryl Streep serves Margaret Thatcher realness: I thought I was watching Margaret Thatcher, not Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher; excellent performance.

Just saw John Carter....amazing

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

John Carter

As I stated in the John Carter of Mars thread, I just returned home from seeing this and I do not understand the negative press it has received, I thought it was great. My one-and-only criticism is that it is that the motives of Matai Shang and the Therns are not entirely clear, but this is minor. If you have reservations about seeing this, put them aside and go see this movie, you will truly enjoy it.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Watched "21 Jump Street" at the movie theater.
    Watched "V for Vendetta" on dvd.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

21 Jump Street: I liked it and thought it was funny(although not as funny as I was hoping for since the trailers looked great), but I have a feeling I would have hated it if I had ever watched 2 seconds of the original show. There were also a few "gross out" scenes that felt like they belonged in Caligula more than this movie.

JOIN THE GROUP...

We watched Puss in Boots, loved it. Hope they make some sequels
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Hunter Killer Elite: It was ok. Fun action flick. Didn't have to think too hard.

Toy Story on blu-ray. This is the first time I've watched since it first came out on VHS. It is still pretty enjoyable. I'll be watching the second and third ones soon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    The Secret World Of Arrietty: It's funny seeing an animated movie that doesn't feature musical numbers, slapstick humor, or characters made for merchandising. This anime released in the US by Disney is wonderful. It's based on the children's book series The Borrowers which was not only already made into a live action movie awhile back but spawned a similarly themed series of books called The Littles which had their own TV series as well as a theatrcially released animated movie. Compared to American cartoons, this may seem slow & quiet, but that's what lets you drink in the rich world that the characters inhabit as well as the moving storyline they are involved in.
    I saw this recently and it is an excellent animated movie. You're right on with your description. It goes to show how differently animation is treated in Japan.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Wanderlust: An unfunny movie with a talented cast.

Dorothy And The Witches Of Oz: An awful movie. It was released as a TV mini-series in other countries, but I guess it's getting a limited theatrical run in the U.S. It feels like one of those Syfy TV movies without the "wink wink" humor. The sad thing is seeing people like Sean Astin & Christopher Lloyd reduced to cameos in movies like this.

JOIN THE GROUP...