Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

Went to see Lawless last week. Really enjoyed it but thought it was too short at 110 mins, hoping for an extended dvd cut.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I watched Dredd on Saturday. I liked it. Totally different interpretation than Stallone's film. Few things that bugged me were the cars in the film seemed like they were from the 1970s and the first thought I had was "where are they getting gasoline?". However, I never saw a muffler so who knows what they run on.

How does the gun recognize who is holding it when they are wearing gloves?

How in the world does he see out of that helmet?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Saw Hotel Transylvania with the wife yesterday. Thought it was pretty good.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I watched Dredd on Saturday. I liked it. Totally different interpretation than Stallone's film. Few things that bugged me were the cars in the film seemed like they were from the 1970s and the first thought I had was "where are they getting gasoline?". However, I never saw a muffler so who knows what they run on.

How does the gun recognize who is holding it when they are wearing gloves?

How in the world does he see out of that helmet?
    Well it is based on a comic you know and they existed since 1978 as they are very influential comics, this movie did them justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Saw Hotel Transylvania with the wife yesterday. Thought it was pretty good.
    Same here and thought it was enjoyable.

The House By The Cemetery on blu-ray: Scary and gory supernatural Italian shocker from Lucio Fulci as it's very Shining inspired about Boston homeowners who move into a new house for a year to a place far where there's a house but unfortunate for them, there is an old guest in the basement who is a spirit or zombie-like creature that has been kept from there that loves to kill off guests one by bloody one. Good gore effects and some decent scares, this one frightened me when i was 9 when i rented it on video.

Night of the Living Dead (1968): The film that set the big trend for zombie cinema after White Zombie, Plague of the Zombies or others before but this movie is hugely influenced by EC horror comics and everyone knows this masterpiece from George romero. I rented this when i was 6 and found it to be a creepy experience.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) Director's Cut from the 4-disc set: What can i say? the quintessential zombie movie! loved this since i was 6 after renting Night of the Living Dead as it's is follow-up. Good make-up by Tom Savini and has Ken Foree as a cult icon here, this movie is also a social commentary underneath it.

Carnival of Souls: One of my fave classic horror movies from the 60's and one i found chilling when i was a kid, this one is definite horror fan viewing.

An American Werewolf in London on blu-ray: One of the best horror movies ever made no doubt! amazing special effects that blow CGI out of the water and left an impression on me when i was 5 when my brother bought this on video as i watched it with him.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Bram Stoker's Dracula - Best adaptation of the book ever! Oldman is just down right incredible as Dracula and its atmosphere, score, cinematography, costumes, and sets are amazing.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Iron Sky (double feature night)
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    Cinderella on blu-ray: One of the best Disney animated features ever that looks and sounds absolutely terrific in high def, i remembered seeing this in it's 87 re-issue in theaters when i was a kid twice and enjoyed it plus i had the Mcdonalds mouse ornuments then the next year i got it for Christmas, i even thought Cindy was quite a cute disney chick. Who else saw the 87 re-issue in theaters?

More Halloween time viewing:

Saw Unrated cut: One of the bets horror movies of the last decade! influenced by Takashi Miike, Dario Argento, Silence of the Lambs and EC horror comics, this bloody thriller is a new cult classic and spawned a dozen sequels and imitators. Funny to see Westley from Princess Bride trapped in a bathroom.

Horror of Dracula: One of the all time horror classics and one of the best adaptations of Stoker's novel, Hammer made it big with this version of the story and Christopher Lee is awesome as Dracula. I saw this when i was 5 and thought it was great fun.

Phenomena (aka Creepers): One of my fave slasher movies! this Italian supernatural horror thriller from Dario Argento is one of his most underrated films ever, this was the first Argento movie i saw as a kid when i rented it under the Creepers New Line cut when i was 6 and thought it was a creepy film. It's got Jennifer Connelly and Donald Pleasance about a teen girl who is a movie star's daughter has unique psychic powers that can communicate with bugs as she joins with a crippled Scottish scientist (played by Pleasance) with his Chimpanzee assistant as they go search for a maniac that loves to butcher girls and keep their bodies for his hobby. Scary and gory stuff with a cool soundtrack by Goblin, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and more.

The Loved Ones: Enjoyable Australian dark comedy horror import that is like Last House on The Left meets John Hughes, a new cult fave and a must see for fans of horror, gore, dark comedy and grindhouse films.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 15, 2012 at 12:46pm.

So I just watched The Thing prequel. Honestly, it isn't a horrible movie. I mean, I think there is way too much CGI, way too much creature, and not enough suspense, but for the most part, it isn't bad. I absolutely love how much care they put into making things be placed exactly how they should be for when McCready enters the place. Plus, I really like that the ending mimics the opening to the original.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Heroic Warrior
    The Burning: One of my fave slasher films ever and one of my fave horror movies ever since i was 7 when i rented it and found it creepy, entertaining and shocking as hell. Tom Savini's make-up effects are awesome in this movie as usual and stars Jason Alexander with Holly Hunter in early film appearances, the Rick Wakeman score is terrific as well.

House (1986): One of my fave horror movies growing up, this one is a comedy as well with great imagination and awesome special effects. I saw this movie in theaters 3 times when i was 4 and found it to be spooky, funny and delightful with nice performances by William Katt, Richard "Bull and Two-Face" Moll and George Wendt.

Magic (1978) on blu-ray: Who remembers this movie? creepy cult horror thriller with Anthony Hopkins who has a dummy that controls him to kill. This movie scared the hell out of me when i was 5 when we moved to our new city and my family rented it as the first movie we rented and MY GOD that dummy freaked me out. I even had nightmares about that creepy little thing as a kid and i later loved it as a young teen as it became one of my fave horror movies but Fats still creeps me out.

From Beyond: Awesome sci-fi horror comedy from the makers of the 1985 classic Re-Animator and just as great too as it stars the ever hot Barbara Crampton along with Ken Foree and Jeffrey Combs, i also saw this in theaters as a kid and enjoyed it, the director's cut completes the film as we seen in the theatrical cut.

Pet Sematary on blu-ray: One of best Stephen King adaptations, i saw this 3 times in theaters when i was 8 and creeped me out, Herman Munster himself did a nice performance as Judd and this movie is very memorable.

I ordered TMNT Secret of the Ooze.

What a terrible movie
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Taken 2

Brian Mills still freelances as a body guard. His latest job is in Istambul for three days, after which he invites his ex wife and daughter to join him. Meanwhile, the family members of everyone Brian killed in the last movie want justice and try to "take" all of them. The daughter gets away and it's up to Kim with her father's instructions to find them.

It's not as good as the first one, but I've seen many fans sugar coat that movie as some sort of Oscar worthy action movie. It was just a great over the top macho action movie and the beginning of Neeson's action movie career. This one is just slightly below that standard. My only complain would be the ending. It was kind of weak and needed some sense of more brutality.

Still a fun ride of Liam Neeson running through Isntanbul destroying Albanians. This isn't a game. He will finish this. They'll just have to die.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Saw Frankenweenie, liked it, had plenty of nice touches, and had a couple of points that get you teary-eyed.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

First I watched John Carpenter's The Thing, which I don't think I need to express how much I love this movie anymore. Amazing pacing, suspense, you can feel the paranoia, and it is great.

And then I watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I love this movie a lot. It has some really bad editing and green screen effects, but the score, plot, and action scenes in the snow are just absolutely wonderful to watch. I also think Tracy is a great Bond girl as she can handle her own fine for the most part. Blofeld is also a much bigger improvement over his previous incarnation. I'm not exactly sure why they changed actors for him, but I am glad they did because this guy was actually threatening. Not to mention he was willing to do things himself. However, I find that the ending is pretty abrupt, especially since Diamonds Are Forever changes Blofeld's actor again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I ordered TMNT Secret of the Ooze.

What a terrible movie
    While the sequel did not have the gritty backdrop and great score of the first one, it was still a decent movie. Never watch the 3rd movie. It was absolutely horrid. I even remember hating it as a teen. The second one still had its charms, but the first one is a gem.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree Sky, the first movie was a classic.

Frankenweenie: Excellent movie, i love stop motion and this movie is probably the best animated movie of the year no doubt, an enjoyable and merrily macabre animated movie in the style of Burton's classic Nightmare Before Christmas.

The Exorcist on blu-ray: What can i say? a masterpiece of terror, one of the scariest and most disturbing movies i've seen since i was 6 when my brother rented this on video and knows how to be shocking. It looks and sounds awesome in blu-ray.

Audition on blu-ray: One of the 90s best horror movies, Takashi Miike has made his masterpiece with this one and made him the modern gag reflex king but this one is more a psychological mind screw thriller with a cringe inducing torture scene you'll never forget but it can be consider Japan's answer to Misery, recommended if you like slow psychological thrills.

The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2on blu-ray: 2 horror classics no doubt and one of the scariest films ever, i still remembered when i was 7 when i rented both 1 & 2 on video and had a double feature of thrills and chills plus laughs in the second movie, Bruce Campbell FTW.

The Worst Witch. It was....aw man, it was hilarious. Terrible. Just terrible. In a good way, though! Depending on your mindset. Lets say: Just terrible enough without being excrusciating, so you can laugh at it. I mean there's a friggin' "music video" with Tim Curry in front of a green screen flashing random imagery (including a whale?) and a good question about whether or not you've seen his tambourine (he may start playin').

It's golden.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    While the sequel did not have the gritty backdrop and great score of the first one, it was still a decent movie. Never watch the 3rd movie. It was absolutely horrid. I even remember hating it as a teen. The second one still had its charms, but the first one is a gem.

I don't know man, I thought it was pretty much unwatchable. The fights just didn't have any true martial arts intensity. The turtles looked more puppet-like than the first movie and rarely displaying an actual facial expression. They weren't very funny either. The replacement Shredder was terrible and so was Donatello's new voice. The plot was ridiculous. The new replacement April wasn't very good and didn't really do anything anyway. Vanilla Ice was a horror that words can hardly express. Casey might have helped, but I doubt it.

Everything that the first movie did right, this did wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I agree Sky, the first movie was a classic.

I didn't really realize back in the day how good the first one was. Oh, we liked it but fast forward 25 years or whatever, and it really hasn't aged at all. It's a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; October 6, 2012 at 11:41am.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Prometheus on Blu-Ray. Still awesome
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Dark Shadows on DVD. Disappointing. Watching it, I could see where the movie could have had the potential to be pretty good, and there were definitely some beautiful images and scenery throughout the film. But they injected all this weirdly misplaced camp and other unnecessary indulgences that kept throwing the movie off. Should have gone straight horror or 'Addams Family Values', not this mis-mash.

The Thing (prequel) IS an underrated movie. True, it's lacking the suspense of the Carpenter film, and is just a little too 'clean', but an overall great film. I have to admit my favorite is watching the making-of featurettes; the Norwegians in the cast are a hoot!

And I just realized that the these two films are examples of the good and the bad that can occur when fans make a movie about the properties they love.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Diamonds Are Forever - You know, I loved this movie the first time I watched it in 2006, but this time, not as much. It was enjoyable, but it is definitely the weakest of Connery's run, and for being the final Blofeld confrontation, it was a let down.

Heroic Warrior
    Frankenweenie: Awesome animated movie, best animated movie of the year no doubt and it's that damned good, i love stop motion animation and i'm glad this is a success with audiences and critics alike.

The Keep: one of the most underrated supernatural horror/vampire films ever and directed by Michael Mann! i always liked this since i was 7 when i rented it on video, it's got decent performances by Ian Mckellen, Scott Glenn and more with an amazing score by Tangerine Dream which i own the soundtrack on CD and record, atmosphere and a nifty vampiric monster that sucks energy instead of blood. I wish Shout Factory contacts Paramount to put this baby on blu-ray/DVD complete with deleted scenes and extras including producers commentary and interviews with the producers/stars.

Frankenstein (1931) on Universal monsters blu-ray: One of the immortal horror classics of all time and the best adaptation of Mary Shelly's classic story, always liked this since i was 4 and one of my early gateways to becoming a horror fan and a Halloween tradition every year.

Carrie (1976): Classic horror movie and one of Stephen King's finest films, i rented this movie when i was 6 and thought it was creepy stuff no doubt even that haunting twist end.

Friday The 13th part 3 on blu-ray: One of my fave movies of the franchise and a nice continuation on Jason's usual slaughter of horny/dope-smoking teens, that theme song here is quite memorable and there's some hilarious eye-popping effects as it was originally 3D in theaters.

Opera: One of Dario Argento's most underrated shockers ever, i liked this since i was a kid when i rented it as the cut Orion version Terror at the Opera and became one of my fave horror films ever, i've been a fan of Argento since i watched Unsane (aka Tenebre) and Creepers (aka Phenomena) on video.

Gremlins: Doesn't matter whether it's Christmas or Halloween viewing, this is a horror-fantasy comedy classic no doubt! darkly humorous and delightful in every aspect with amazing visual effects by Chris Walas despite i do prefer Rick Baker's creations in the sequel. I saw this movie in theaters in it's 85 re-issue at 4 about 3 times and loved it as i had some of the merchandise even eating that delicious Gremlins cereal which was one of my fave cereals as a kid.

Heroic Warrior
    Frankenweenie: Saw this today and I really enjoyed it. I got a little teary-eyed in the beginning (those who saw it will know what scene I'm talking about). I loved the

Gamera reference and also the scene where Mr. Whiskers turns evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I don't know man, I thought it was pretty much unwatchable. The fights just didn't have any true martial arts intensity. The turtles looked more puppet-like than the first movie and rarely displaying an actual facial expression. They weren't very funny either. The replacement Shredder was terrible and so was Donatello's new voice. The plot was ridiculous. The new replacement April wasn't very good and didn't really do anything anyway. Vanilla Ice was a horror that words can hardly express. Casey might have helped, but I doubt it.

Everything that the first movie did right, this did wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't really realize back in the day how good the first one was. Oh, we liked it but fast forward 25 years or whatever, and it really hasn't aged at all. It's a masterpiece.
    I guess its all relative. I never said the second movie was great, but it still had its charms for me. How's this? The third movie is to the second, what the second is to the first. Can we agree on that? So Netflix just updated their titles, and this is what I've watched so far.

Ghostbusters: Not much to say about this nerd classic that hasn't already been said. I love my Sigourney (not her real name) Weaver. Such a silly, fun movie, and I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel later on today. As it is October I'm going to have a supernatural movie marathon.

Resident Evil: Extinction: I've never actually played the video games, but the movies have been great mindless zombie fun. I actually enjoy each one more, and this one was a good use of my time. Decent special effects, likable cast, and silly over the top zombie gore silliness. Will it change your life? No. However, if you like fun action movies, sci-fi and zombies, its not bad. I seem to like silly movies.

Willard: an awesome movie starring Crispin Glover. I have actually watched it a few times and still find myself tearing up when poor Socrates is mercilessly killed (I guess because I keep rats as pets I have a huge soft spot for them )

Live and Let Die - This is definitely Moore's best movie and is one of the best Bond movies. It has great music, some cool action scenes, voodoo, and funny one liners. My only complaint about the movie is that sheriff dude.

The Man With the Golden Gun - Very good movie, Christopher Lee is just awesome in this thing. On the other hand, Goodnight has to be one of the worst Bond girls ever. She is so freaking dumb and sets the woman's rights movement back by like 20 years. The movie does suffer from some pacing issues though, but for the most part, Lee's performance is what makes the movie good.

The Spy Who Loved Me - This was the first Moore movie I ever saw and I thought it was boring as freaking hell. In fact, it was my least favorite Bond movie period. After watching it for the first time in six years I have to take most of that back. It still isn't perfect, but it is definitely not even close to being as bad as I thought it was. In fact, it was rather enjoyable despite how corny it is in parts.

However, what is wrong with these villains? I know I have mentioned this many times, but if they would just freaking shoot Bond the moment they have him first captured, it would solve all of their problems. I understand why Scarlaminga did not kill Bond out right, as he wanted a challenge, but both Mr Big and Sturgens had plenty of opportunities to kill him if they just did it immediately!

STOP BEING STUPID PEOPLE!!!!

And finally, we decided to hold off on Moonraker and watched The Lost Boys. It was decent. I probably would have liked it more had I grown up watching it as others have, but for what it was, it was not bad. I did like how they did not reveal that they were vampires until halfway through the movie, so that was well done. However, I will NOT touch the sequels.