Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

Watched Trick 'R Treat (definitely one of my favorite Halloween movies) and the original Nightmare on Elm Street over the weekend. Good, spooky fun!!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Dark Shadows: It was an okay Tim Burton. Nice cameo of Alice Cooper and had some funny moments in it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Watched Trick 'R Treat (definitely one of my favorite Halloween movies) and the original Nightmare on Elm Street over the weekend. Good, spooky fun!!
    OMG i watched that too.

Trick R Treat: One of the best horror movies in recent memory and a definite blu-ray buy for horror fans.

Gremlins 2: Underrated sequel to a horror-fantasy classic and one of my fave sequels ever. I saw this in theaters 4 times when i was a kid and loved it as much as the original masterpiece, this one has Cabin in the Woods style humor to it and self-parody. Christopher Lee with Robert Picardo, Zach Gallagan, Pheoebe Cates (What a hottie she is) and John Glover (aka Riddler) did nice performances in the film with unique make-up/animatronics by Rick Baker which still rocks as Gizmo is more believable in this movie than the first, it's almost better than those crappy Gremlin cash-in films like Ghoulies, Munchies, Kamillions, Elves, Hobgoblins etc. but there are some exceptional Gremlin cash-in little killer movies like Critters 1 & 2, Spookies, Dolls, Child's Play, Cat's Eye, Puppet Master, The Gate etc. to guilty pleasures i liked such as Troll and Evil Toons (Loved the girls in that movie).

Making Contact (aka Joey): Now who remembers this movie? i did when it got released here in the states in theaters and i saw it in one of my former city's theaters when i was 5 and it scared the hell out of me especially with that creepy ventriloquist dummy. This one is directed by Roland Emmerich and one of his early films as it has a small cult following, it's a fun and dark supernatural horror fantasy in the Spielberg/Miyazaki tradition and that Dummy with Fats from Magic creeped me out. Both versions are enjoyable but the German cut with the alternate music score in subtitles is far better, one of my fave horror/fantasy films.

Cat's Eye: 80s cult anthology fave i always liked since i was 4 as it's one of my favorite horror anthology movies ever, Stephen King wrote the screenplay to it and the last story is definitely the best one as it has a Gremlins feel to it with a creepy little troll. James Woods does an terrific performance in this movie as the smoker who is trying to quit.

The Wolf Man on Universal monsters blu-ray set: One of the first horror movies that got me into the genre when i was little and this is an all time cinematic horror classic, Lou Chaney Jr. is awesome in it.

Perfect Blue: Awesome Japanese animated psychological horror movie about a pop singer who feels being stalked and driven by madness, very similar to the recent Black Swan but more in the Argento tradition. This is definitely no kiddie cartoon but a unique, bloody and adult animated movie that amazes the mind and scares you.

House of 1000 Corpses: Fun and gory tribute to 70s/early 80s grindhouse cinema from Rob Zombie with Bill Moseley, Sherri Moon Zombie, Karen Black and more, quite underrated.

The Devil's Rejects: A modern cult classic and a gritty tribute to the shockers of yesterday like Last House on The Left, Maniac, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer etc. with a solid cast, nice gore and memorable quotes, a sequel that surpasses the first.
    Last edited by Thatman; October 9, 2012 at 09:38am. Reason: youtube link
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Planet of the Vampires... Couldn't be a more obvious influence for ALIEN
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    Planet of the Vampires... Couldn't be a more obvious influence for ALIEN
    Indeed and i saw that movie on TV when i was 4 and became a Bava fan, it also influenced the space vampire genre.

The Little Shop of Horrors (1986) on blu-ray: Excellent musical sci-fi horror comedy i always loved since i saw it in theaters when i was a kid 4 times and had a few of the merchandise, the director's cut is quite nice yet dark and there's the theatrical cut with the happy ending, this one is tons of fun and a solid cast with Frank Oz as director.

Halloween 5 on blu-ray: Very weak 5th entry of the saga that feels like the series is nearly running out of steam but nice kills though, i also saw this in theaters as a kid.

Tales from The Crypt (1972): One of the first horror movies i loved when i was 4 as it was one of those that me hooked into the genre when my brother rented it on video and loved it, it with Creepshow made me an anthology fan and i bought reprints of the comics in the 80s/early 90s as a kid on EC's horror library and watched the TV show later on HBO. Check out this one if you love the show and comics with horror anthologies, a nice British import.

The Great Mouse Detective on blu-ray: It looks and sounds nice in high def, one of my all time fave disney movies! i saw this movie in theaters when i was a kid 4 times and had merchandise to even seeing Dawson and Basil at Disneyland that summer, i even thought the mouse dancer was hot, LOL. A must see movie.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Watched Moonraker. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, that's all I'm going to say.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Last night I watched Halloween and John Carpenter's The Thing. Two classics back to back!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Transformers the movie(1986) I came across it on YouTube and remembered how awesome this movie is.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Troll Hunter - a really entertaining found footage movie that unlike most of the others of it's type is not afraid to show the actual creatures in full detail

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Troll Hunter - a really entertaining found footage movie that unlike most of the others of it's type is not afraid to show the actual creatures in full detail
    That was a fantastic movie! It was really well done and quite fun to watch!

Last night I watched Big Trouble in Little China. Been in kind of a John Carpenter mood lately.

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Hey Wolf, what found footage horror do you enjooy besides TH?
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 11, 2012 at 12:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Hey Wolf, what found footage horror do you enjooy besides TH?
    in no particular order

The Blair Witch Project
    Cloverfield
    Paranormal Activity (but only the first one)
    REC 1 & 2 (not seen 3 yet)
    Quarantine (american Rec remake)
    Cloverfield
    Apollo 18
    Monster
    Troll Hunter
    The Last Exorcism

Heroic Warrior
    in no particular order

The Blair Witch Project
    Cloverfield
    Paranormal Activity (but only the first one)
    REC 1 & 2 (not seen 3 yet)
    Quarantine (american Rec remake)
    Cloverfield
    Apollo 18
    Monster
    Troll Hunter
    The Last Exorcism
    What about Cannibal Holocaust? THE TRUE origin of the genre in 1980, a very controversial and very shocking 1980 cult Italian import that has been banned/censored around the world for it's ultra-realism. It influenced all those movies you see of the found footage genre, it is difficult to watch at times. In fact it's so realistic that it when it was successful in it's country that a week later the authorities arrested director Ruggero Deoato for they thought they actually murdered the actors on film within the film's film footage and was making a snuff film, but Deoato proved in court that the actors weren't really murdered as they appeared live.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 11, 2012 at 01:04pm.

What about Cannibal Holocaust? Never seen it and considering they actually killed animals in the making of that movie I refuse to watch it on principal

Heroic Warrior
    Well wolf, you'd be happy to know the Cannibal Holocaust DVD comes with an animal cruelty free version that cuts out that stuff which is a good thing which is Deoato's prefered cut as he regret doing that long ago. I did saw CH in it's 2000 theatrical re-issue to see the film that inspired Blair Witch and MY GOD it shocked me big time and made me sick with the scenes of animals like a large turtle getting beheaded then flayed to be cooked to a muskrat getting gutted alive as it screams, i felt like taking a shower after i found out they were actually killed. I'm no animal rights activist or vegetarian but killing animals on film for real for the sake of entertainment is just plain wrong, i'm so glad the 2-disc DVD contains an animal cruelty free cut so it can be viewed in it's proper way without having to see the animal stuff.

What i saw yesterday with more Halloween viewing:

The Invisible Man (1931) on Blu-ray: A cinematic sci-fi horror classic, loved it since i was a kid.

Psycho IV The Beginning: Enjoyable prequel to the saga with Anthony Perkins who just got rehabbed again and tells his story on the radio of what made him like he was. Better than the crappy 1998 duplicate remake.

Twilight Zone The Movie on blu-ray: One of my childhood fave horror/fantasy movies and one of the best anthologies ever, a nice adaptation of the beloved TV show with a solid cast and great effects by Rob Bottin.

Silver Bullet: Quality werewolf movie from Stephen King, saw this 2 times in theaters when i was 4.

Prometheus on blu-ray: One of the most underrated movies of the year! a very nice and dark prequel to Alien and i saw this 3 times in theaters.

E.T. on blu-ray: A cinematic masterpiece now looking and sounding better than ever with the magic of high definition, Spielberg's movies now look good as ever. My bigger brother did saw this movie when it first came out in 82 when he was 9 and i was only a baby, i did saw the 85 re-issue in theaters about 4 times and had some merchandise like coloring books, Mcdonalds posters from happy meals and ate the cereal as it was delicious, glad it came out on video 2 years later as i got it as a Christmas gift.

I watched Resident Evil: Extinction last night. That series is definitely one of my guilty pleasures!

Harry, I'm not an ET fan by any stretch of the imagination but I am curious: Does the Blu-ray release have the guns replaced with walkie talkies like in that one rerelease version they did?

"We have a Ram-Man"

Well wolf, you'd be happy to know the Cannibal Holocaust DVD comes with an animal cruelty free version that cuts out that stuff which is a good thing which is Deoato's prefered cut as he regret doing that long ago. I did saw CH in it's 2000 theatrical re-issue to see the film that inspired Blair Witch and MY GOD it shocked me big time and made me sick with the scenes of animals like a large turtle getting beheaded then flayed to be cooked to a muskrat getting gutted alive as it screams, i felt like taking a shower after i found out they were actually killed. I'm no animal rights activist or vegetarian but killing animals on film for real for the sake of entertainment is just plain wrong, i'm so glad the 2-disc DVD contains an animal cruelty free cut so it can be viewed in it's proper way without having to see the animal stuff.
    I think that's the version I have. The 2 disc set from a couple years ago with the gray-clear case? I got another friend that owns a copy, but he can only watch a few minutes at a time and never finished. It was sits on his self like some cursed skull.

Well you see to me it doesn't matter if there is a version without the animal deaths, the problem is I know they did it for the movie so no matter if the version is the one with the killings in or the killings removed I will still refuse to watch this movie because they still actually killed some animals.

It is not just about me not wanting to see animals get killed (tho that is part of it) it is the fact they did it that makes that movie a no-watch for me

Snappy Threader
    Just saw "The Campaign" finally. Funniest movie I have seen in a while.

Starship Troopers: I rewatched it to see if this theatrical fliop (it barely paid for itself) which spawned some direct to DVD sequels was really that bad. Honestly, it wasn't. It had a good looking, fairly talented cast (fans of Neil Patrick Harris, Dina Meyer, the real babe of the 1990s, and hunky Casper Van Dien/Patrick Muldoon), the special effects/creature effects were great, and the campy approach to military propaganda was well handed. Honestly, I love this movie and though I have not seen it for a decade, it was still enjoyable. In some ways I feel this movie was actually ahead of itself, and I have no idea why it failed. It is surprisingly better than I remembered.

I Come In Peace A low (really low) budget sci-fi action flick which seems to be inspired by a few movies, starring hunky, beautiful, Dolph Lundgren (our own 87 He-Man) the king of cheesy action movies. The music in this movie is really dated, and there isn't much going on beyond your typical good guy vs murderous alien from space. If you are a fan of Dolph, and 1990s cop/sci-fi movies, you might find some saving graces in this, but honestly, I only watched it for Dolph. Its got its charms, but its really, really dated. You might look at CDs differently after seeing this film.

Ghostbusters II: Not much to say about this nerd boy staple that hasn't already been said. Its not a bad film, and was a decent sequel to what has become an iconic 80s movie. In some ways it is superior to the first film, and in others it lacks.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 12, 2012 at 02:12pm.

Well you see to me it doesn't matter if there is a version without the animal deaths, the problem is I know they did it for the movie so no matter if the version is the one with the killings in or the killings removed I will still refuse to watch this movie because they still actually killed some animals.

It is not just about me not wanting to see animals get killed (tho that is part of it) it is the fact they did it that makes that movie a no-watch for me
    No problem. I have a couple of friends that also refuse to watch that film on prinicple for that reason.

Saw Cabin in the Woods earlier this week. It was definitely an interesting premise. I felt the ending was different too.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

Cabin in the Woods was fantastic. I saw that its opening weekend!

Last night we watched Hocus Pocus.

"We have a Ram-Man"

Sinister

Ethan Hawke plays a famous true crime novelist, known for uncovering things the police missed. To research his next book, he moves into the home of a murdered family and doesn't bother telling his own family about it. The first night he hears foot steps in the attic. What he finds upstairs is a box of old 8mm tapes, each one a different massacre of a family.He starts to look into them and finds patterns and connections, but the strange things in the house get more frequent.

It was really well made. Great horror score, never noticed this before in other horror films. But the flaw is the villain and demon in the movie isn't involved enough. It has a passive role at the end and I suppose that's part of the twist.

I'd still see it since most of it is good, either at home or in theatres. Nice cameo by Fred Thompson.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    For Your Eyes Only - A little slow moving, but a pretty enjoyable movie despite some corny moments. However, Moore is showing his age and the girl that is hitting on him just crawls onto the levels of creepy. The opening confrontation with Blofeld is cool though and feels far more climatic (even if it is corny) than it had in Diamonds Are Forever. The acting on Mileena is down right awful though. She has about as much range of emotion as Kirsten Stewart, and that takes A LOT of effort.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.