Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

The Silver Linings Playbook

Bradley Cooper plays a man who just got out of a mental institution after being in there for 8 months. He caught his wife cheating on him in the shower and and completely lost it. After getting out, he is obsessed with getting her back, despite a restraining order. His dad, played by Robert DeNiro has signs of severe OCD and might not be too different than his sons psychological problems.

Things take a turn when he runs into Jennifer Lawrence's character, who is equally screwed up as him, but might be exactly the type of distraction he needs to turn his life around.

This movie is amazing and of my favorites of the year, in an already strong movie year. It's the best Bradley Cooper we've seen. It's the best DeNiro in years, and even the best Chris Tucker (where did he come from?). And Jennifer Lawrence keeps cementing herself as a great actress.

Gotta see this. Great story, great acting.

Heroic Warrior
    Miracle on 34th Street: I love this movie. It was really good and Natalie Wood is wonderful in it.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Saw Silver Linings Playbook. EXCELLENT movie! A must-see IMO!
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    White Christmas
    Disney's Cinderella

Ted, holy crap it was hilarious and disturbing at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    The Hobbit - Second best movie of the year, only Skyfall is better.

A Christmas Carol - Scott's version - This version is probably my least favorite of the incarnations I have. It does a lot of great things with the Ghosts of Xmas Past and Future, but they royally jack up both Marley's visit and Present. How is it that in 1951 the staff could make Marley look like an actual ghost, make him sound haunting, and even pull off the scene with the ghosts floating around the city, but this version, from 1984, cannot do any of that? As for Present, I do like how they had him pull out Ignorance and Want, but they never aged him at all as the day went on. Plus, Scott's version of Scrooge does not make me convinced he has changed after he has been visited by the spirits. Lastly, I hate how this movie really focuses a lot on Tiny Tim and tries to over extended his handicapped nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    Ted, holy crap it was hilarious and disturbing at the same time.
    It was so funny hearing a Mexican family sitting in front of us groan when Ted made his mexican joke.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version): I thought this was a okay version. Like Dr. Kain said, it focuses too much on Tiny Tim. Like I said, it's an okay version (imo, the best version is Alaster Sim's version).
    Last edited by Burtonnut; December 17, 2012 at 10:04pm.

Skyfall - Excellent action scenes and a terrific baddie. My favourite of Daniel Craig's three Bond films.
    The Hobbit - I enjoyed it. It's no masterpiece, but it was fun for what it was.

Superman Doomsday - An all right movie. It was the first non-canonical DC animated movie, so I give them some leeway, but it is more boring than anything else. Superman also looks old in this movie by the lines they have on his face.'

Superman/Shazam/Showcase - Now this thing is excellent. I mean, the main feature, Superman/Shazam is very well done, Vosloo is an excellent Black Adam, but The Spectre and Jonah Hex royally steal the show here. Both of those, especially The Spectre, are so well done and unique that it blows WB has not given either of them their own full feature movie yet. Hell, The Spectre could even work as a live action grindhouse detective horror movie if they hired the right people to do it justice. The Green Arrow one on the set is very well done as well, but it is The Spectre's originality that makes it the highlight of the four.

Scrooged - I saw this for the first time last year and it was all right. However, after watching it again, I liked it a lot better this time around. It's an interesting take on Dickens' story and I cannot help but laugh every time he gets beat up by the Present.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Superman II - Richard Donner's Cut: it is quite odd for me to see this movie now. I've been watching the Superman & Superman II making-off documentaries as well from the 70's & 80's and I cannot help thinking what an awesome movie would have turned out if Donner was given green light to finish it.
    The spin Earth backwards to be back in time is still there and it is extremely annoying and also some strange cut-off scenes, but there are some additional ones of Luthor and Teschmacher and best of all Jor-El, not Lara, guiding Kal-El that is pure gold. It made me want to get some Superman merchandising from the 70's, like Garcia-Lopez comics or Superman:The Movie Mego
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Godzilla - This was my first time getting to watch the Criterion BD on my new tv and it was gorgeous to view in 1080P. The blacks were so deep and detailed and it is still amazing to see how great Criterion was able to remaster it, as they even outdid Toei's job.

Zero Dark Thirty

This finally got a small release in LA and I jumped on it. It covers the ten year hunt for Bin Laden, mostly through the eyes of Maya, a CIA agent obsessed and dedicated in finding him above anything else. The first quarter of the movie is heavily focused on torture, while the rest of it is focused on leads Maya refuses to let go off til something sticks. Last quarter of the movie is amazing as Seal Team 6 goes into Bin Laden's compound.

Great movie. It's a spy thriller, except it happened just recently. I don't know how much of this movie is factual or if there is a real Maya that was part of all this, but the movie is not propaganda or political. You can take things away from the movie and come to your own conclusions about torture and tactics. What I personally got from the film is that torture, sometimes works, and most of the time does not since the prison is under duress. Is it worth keeping around for those moments that they do leak the truth?

Jessica Chastain is great in this. Great cast sprinkled through out actually. Different people show up as the story progresses including Mark Strong and James Gandolfini with some memorable performances.

Comparing this to the Hurt Locker, it's a pretty different movie, maybe entirely different despite the overlapping elements. I think I enjoyed this a little more, but maybe because it's been a major part of our real lives the past decade. Even though everyone should know how the movie ends, they do a great of building suspense and story telling if we'll ever find Bin Laden.

Also a bit of coincidence at most, but the movie reminded me of Showtime's Homeland. Both are about determined CIA agents obsessed with catching Bin Laden/Abu /Nazir and sometimes all the CIA has left to go on are how certain both women are.

The movie is as long as The Hobbit, but well worth the time. Katherine Bigelow is someone out watch out for.
    Last edited by SCB; December 19, 2012 at 07:24pm.

I have been watching a lot of movies lately so here is my breakdown:

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - 2/4

Hunger Games - 3/4

Battle Royale - 4/4

The Watch - 2/4

21 Jump Street(2012) - 3/4

Ted - 3/4

Berserk: The Egg of the King - 3/4

The Bourne Legacy - 3/4

The Grey - 3/4

Skyfall - 3/4

The Hobbit - 4/4
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I just watched Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. It is a good movie, I really like how they had Darkseid go all out in battle at the end, but I HATE that they did not have Michael Ironside reprise his role. Ironside is the only one that should be doing Darkseid in animation.

Jack Reacher

A military trained sniper takes out a handful of random civilians in public. When the DA and lead investigator ask him to confess, all he does is ask to get in touch with "Jack Reacher". Jack Reacher is a military officer and expert investigator who is impossible to find unless he wants to be. Jack shows up and the cut and dry shooter case is no longer what it originally seemed.

This is a great action movie, but probably has the most awkward timing to get released with the recent tragedy. The opening features a sniper picking off random people one by one and it feels all too real with the recent events, but no fault of the film. Tom Cruise plays a familiar character, similar to his persona in Mission Impossible and Knight and Day. He pulls it off really well, despite his size. The guy is a good action hero. It's fun watching him go after the bad guys.

The movie is surprisingly long, but I only realized it once I got out of the theater and checked my watch.

I saw The Hobbit and Jack Reacher for my birthday yesterday and REALLY enjoyed both of them.

Heroic Warrior
    In theatres I saw the Hobbit but on TV I last saw "Who's Harry Crumb?".

A Christmas Carol - Jim Carrey - This is probably my favorite adaptation of the book. Yes, it is newer and there are 3D gimmicks, but I just love how it is the closest move to fully pull off Dickens' creepy atmosphere for the entire story. Having the Ghost of Xmas Past be more like a candle and the Ghost of Xmas Future be a shadow is amazing and obviously something that cannot be done in live action. Plus, Bob Crachet looks exactly like he does in the book which is awesome because the only one to ever pull him off right in the looks department is the guy in the Alistair Sim version. I also love how they handle Present's aging throughout the visit. Like I said, there are some really dumb 3D gimmicks, but Zemeckis and Jim Carrey did an incredible job pulling this off.

Speaking of Zemeckis, I also watched The Polar Express today. This is another movie that is well done and feels like the book. In fact, the scene when the train is in front of the house at the beginning with all of the steam coming off of it is gorgeous to watch. I also like the bum even though he was not in the original book. The CGI does show its age, however, as you can tell this was one of the first movies to do the full on motion capturing of an actor, but they did it well

He-Man/She-Ra Christmas Special - There is not much I can go on other than it is only enjoyable through nostalgia. If I take off the goggles, it is a horrendous movie, but it does have its moments. I hate how they turn Skeletor into a laughable wimp, even moreso than the series itself did. However, he does have one great conversation point with Miguel that is hysterical.

A Christmas Story - While A Christmas Carol is my favorite book of all time, this movie is probably my favorite Christmas movie of all time. I can never grow tired of it (however, I don't have cable, so I never see the TNT's 24 hour marathon of it) and every year I feel like I notice something new in it whether it is something simple like a costume in the background or a piece of dialog I had never fully grasped in the past. For example, Ralphie's teacher's classroom is way too clean. NO teacher has that many book shelves available to them to make everything look that neat!!!!

To finish out my Xmas outings, I also watched some Xmas episodes from The Simpsons, Batman TAS, JL, The Boondocks, and American Dad. All I have left is the Charlie Brown Xmas, which I have not seen in about 15 years and the second part to Hogfather.

Heroic Warrior
    The Santa Clause on blu-ray: I always enjoyed this movie since i was 13 seeing it 2 times in theaters and a delightful holiday comedy.

Ernest Saves Christmas: I remembered seeing this 2 times in theaters when i was second grade and been my fave Ernest movie ever.

Death Valley (1982) on blu-ray: Underrated psycho horror thriller with Catherine Hicks, Peter Billingsly in his debut and Paul LaMatt is one of those i enjoyed since i was a kid and it looks/sounds decent on high def thanks to Scream/Shout Factory.

Muppet Family Christmas: One of my favorite Christmas specials since i was a kid when it first aired, loved it when Kermit met the Fraggles.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Just watched Les Miserables in the theater. Very BEAUTIFUL and touching movie! BRAVO to the entire cast, especially Hugh Jackman And Russell Crowe!

Saw Django Unchained, which was great, but not Tarantino's best.

Heroic Warrior
    Jim Carrey version of A Christmas Carol
    Scrooged
    White Christmas I always crack up laughing at the part where Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye are singing "Sisters"
    Finding Neverland
    The He-man and She-ra Christmas special I made a Grinch reference when watching this (And what happened, then? Well, in Eternia they say - that Skeletor's small heart grew three sizes that day)

I also watched a little bit of Christmas Story (tv) and Kiki's Delivery Service (I was having an anxiety attack earlier and I stopped watching at the part after she delivers the herring pumpkin pot pie to the bratty girl.)

Let's see. Over the past couple of days we've watched:

Gremlins
    Ernest Saves Christmas
    Merry Christmas Mr. Bean
    and last night we watched my new Blu-Ray of Raiders of the Lost Ark, my all time favorite (followed closely by Ghostbusters).
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Django Unchained

Tarantino's newest film where he shows off his love for movies and this time it's an American Western. Set in the 1850's, a dentist turned bounty hunter takes a slave under his wing and they go into the bounty hunting business together. Django, now a free man, has the end goal of freeing his sold off wife from an evil Mississippi slave owner.

This is a great movie. Christoph Waltz takes plays a more comical character than the Jew Hunter, but still a bad ass and intellectual. Jamie Fox is no surprise with his performance, but DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson kind of stole the show for me as the very colorful villains. They were so good I genuinely hated them. The movie is also full of actors you recognize, but can't figure their names in typical Tarantino fashion.

The n word is dropped frequently, but never for shock value. They were all pretty fitting to establish the the time the movie took place. Much like the violence in the movie, it gets overused to the point where it's no longer shocking, in a good way.

Tarantino also brings out the great soundtrack again, very self aware at times.

Should you see this? If you're a Tarantino fan, then absolutely. If not, then you're in for a long violent movie with tons of extended dialog, bloody violence, and great acting you might or might not appreciate sitting down the journey for.
    Last edited by SCB; December 27, 2012 at 02:58am.

Hobbit.... Peter Jackson is awesome! Just awesome. His way of story telling is just superb....
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR