Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Watched Deep Red yesterday for the third time. Big Dario Argento fan. Definitely one of his best. The killer is basically revealed in the first twenty minutes, but if you haven't seen the film before you will never catch it. Absolutely ingenious. Watch the full Italian version. Phenomenal film.
    Yeh man, Deep Red is a masterpiece of European horror i enjoyed since i rented it on video at 14 and thought it was awesome, been an Argento fan since i rented Creepers. Goblin rocks at doing scores!

Evil Dead remake: Well made, gory and enjoyable homage to a classic horror film and made by the makers no less.

Repo Man on blu-ray: Criterion has done a terrific job of making this cult sci-fi comedy classic eye-poppingly good on high definition, been a fave of mine for years since i was a kid.

The Fifth Element on blu-ray: Fantastic underrated cult sci-fi comedy action film from Luc Besson who brought you "Leon" and one of Bruce Willis's finest moments, it's like a comic book brought to life from the pages of heavy metal magazine and the MTV cartoon Aeon Flux. Milla Jovovich is very sexy here as Leeloo, i saw it 4 times in theaters when i was 15 and this movie looks/sounds awesome on high def.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    So I missed BATTLESHIP in the theaters -- actually I stayed away from it because the reviews were awful. It came on TV at midnight last night and I decided to watch it for a couple of minutes.

Am I crazy or am I living in a parallel universe that has an entirely different BATTLESHIP film?

What am I missing here?
    This movie sort of reminds me of this comic. I imagine a meeting where a company is talking about bringing board games to the big screen. They choose battleship, but then someone pipes in and says there has to be aliens

tree_swing_development_requirements.jpg
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Master of New Adventures!
    Yeah, well without the aliens it's just a board game...or a movie about navies fighting each other. I guess they were thinking we've already had plenty of both.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    This movie sort of reminds me of this comic. I imagine a meeting where a company is talking about bringing board games to the big screen. They choose battleship, but then someone pipes in and says there has to be aliens

tree_swing_development_requirements.jpg

Snappy Threader
    Pain & Gain. Great movie. I highly recommend it.

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Rented a few movies from Redbox over the weekend:

The Impossible
    - EXCELLENT heartfelt movie. A must see

Unconditional - Very good movie. We really enjoyed it.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - We really liked this movie also.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    The Not so Great Gasby

Wow, 11 months of waiting for this movie and it being one of the only three movies I have been looking forward to all year, and it is nothing more than a pile of steaming crap. The movie itself has an interesting story, interesting and good characters, great acting, but it is all a giant mess. First off, the editing is atrocious. It was like it was put together by people with ADD who could not handle the camera being in one place for more than 3 seconds before they jumped to another camera shot to another shot. This went on for the first 45 minutes or so and it really got on my nerves. However, the biggest attrocity is its score, which has been put together by the uninspiring Jay Z. WHO THE FLYING HELL BOATS THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO LET A FRIGGIN RAPPER PUT RAP MUSIC IN A MOVIE THAT TAKES PLACE IN THE 1920'S!!!!!!!!!!! The movie doesn't even make you wait more than maybe three minutes before cramming Jay Z's noise making garbage into the movie and then spreads it throughout the entire movie. It completely pulls you out of the enjoyment of the movie and is ultimately where the movie falls. There is a scene where musicians are playing Jazz instruments, but guess what you hear instead of Jazz? GANGSTA ****ING RAP!!! The dancers are dancing like they are in a rap video. None of this belongs here and it is NOT welcomed. Do not waste you time on this **** poor movie for it is an insult to literature on the highest level. Fitzgerald is so lucky to not be alive to see what has happened to his novel for his ears would be bleeding until he died from blood loss. Even Stephanie Meyer looks pale in comparison to this insult, which is saying a lot. If you want to see something more entertaining, watch a dog poop. At least you won't have to hear Jay Z while it does. Hell, my ears have not been so insulted with music in a movie since 2010's Jonah Hex. Overall, I give this movie a 1/5 and it is all because of the score.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    So I missed BATTLESHIP in the theaters -- actually I stayed away from it because the reviews were awful. It came on TV at midnight last night and I decided to watch it for a couple of minutes.

Am I crazy or am I living in a parallel universe that has an entirely different BATTLESHIP film? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this was CITIZEN KANE or ALIENS, but I really enjoyed the film. I thought the storyline was interesting, the acting was mostly good and the character development worked for me. I loved that Hopper's a screw up and his gal is the admiral's daughter and works in re-hab. I liked the tie-in with the soldier that had lost his legs and I felt the Japanese officer was a nice touch. Using the old Navy guys at the end was fun.

Okay, sure there were some downsides. Not likely that the Missouri could actually do what it does in the film and some of the CGI was a little cheesy. But what ever happened to giving a film a shot by going into it with "a willing suspension of disbelief". Overall, for what it was, I really thought it was a good film. Nice special effects, clever that the aliens can't handle sunlight and, again, I honestly felt the storyline held together. Overall I'd give it a B. As I said, I didn't see it in the theater, but if I had I don't think I'd have walked out wishing I had my two hours back. As it was, I had to stay up until 2:30 to watch the movie on TV and I felt it was entertaining and worth my time.

What am I missing here?
    Nothing. My wife and I thought this was a great flick, twenty times better than the garbage we had to sit through with all the Bayformers films Though I will say that the novelization of the movie helps expand alot of the movie plot.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Co-Creator of the NV
    I also really enjoyed Battleship. I saw it in theatres and was entertained enough to buy it on blu-ray/dvd when it was released.

My wife and I watched "Mud" before we went to the Cincinnati Reds game. It was a good movie, but not nearly as fun as watching the Reds put a whoopin' on the Brewers.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) on blu-ray: One of Disney's most underrated and adult oriented animated movies and i love that! i saw this 3 times in theaters when i was 15 and loved it. Hell i even had the hots for Esmerelda as she was one sexy toon, LOL. The movie sounds and looks fantastic on blu-ray no doubt on the HOND 1 & 2 double feature and it has never looked better.

The Vampire Lovers on blu-ray: Scream Factory has done it again with a solid blu-ray with nice extras and a very nice if imperfect transfer compared to their other blu-rays releases yet it's one of those classic horror films treated with better respect and the first Hammer film from them. I mean it's not as solid as the blu-rays to Vampire Circus and Twins of Evil but still acceptable. This is a very sexy Hammer production with hot chicks, gore and a nice storyline, i liked this since i was 13 when i rented it on video.

D i c k Tracy on blu-ray: Who remembers this movie? one of my favorite comic book movies since i was 9 and saw it 4 times in theaters, i loved it and i had some of the merchandise. A nice solid all star cast especially Al Pacino who is hilarious as Big Boy Caprice and Dustin Hoffman does a RainMan-esque role as Mumbles. I also gotta say this but Madonna never looked hotter than in this movie no doubt as Breathless Mahoney and when she came out in that silky black see-through dress in that scene near topless, holy crap! one of those scenes in a movie that helped me to manhood, lol. This movie is the Sin City of the 90s.

Superman Unbound on blu-ray: Decent DCAU movie but not one of their best.

Naked Lunch on blu-ray: A David Cronenberg made drama-fantasy cult classic from the 90s and one his best movies has never looked or sounded ever solid than on blu-ray. Peter Weller did a nice job playing William Burrough's character and this has nice creature/hallucination effects by Chris Walas.

Repo Man on blu-ray: 80s Sci-fi comedy cult classic never looked and sounded better than ever than on blu-ray, liked this movie since i was a kid and been one of my fave sci-fi movies.

Iron Man on blu-ray: Awesome movie and nice beginning to a franchise, saw it 5 times in theaters and been one of my fave comic based movies. Robert Downy Jr is perfect for the part and i say this was very well acted and written, a nice beginning to the avengers films.

Iron man 2 on blu-ray: An enjoyable sequel even if it is inferior to the first movie, Michael Rouke did a great performance as Whiplash and has a nice set up to Thor and Avengers.

Iron man 3: An improvement over part 2 and i really liked this very much.

Brazil Director's Cut on blu-ray: Terry Gilliam's masterpiece of sci-fi, fantasy and dark comedy has never looked or sounded excellent before than on high def, loved this movie since i was 14 when i rented it on video after hearing about it and left an impression on me.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Iron Man 3: which is great but not "Avengers" great.

Mama: I'm quite proud about an Argentine director making a really good international horror film (his first actually). I do wish the best for him and hope he lands a really big project in Hollywood.
    I did get scared at some moments and because of the nature of the horror, so primitive and involving kids. Actor playing the "thing" that haunts girl's foster parents is extremely frightening with bare make up. If it is possible,please check the make up test footage and some may feel some chills down the spine. It is quite a pity that at last scenes of the movie, creature it is too exposed with CGI effects. Ending it is quite sad and emotional
    Last edited by Rhanen; May 13, 2013 at 01:07pm.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Am I crazy or am I living in a parallel universe that has an entirely different BATTLESHIP film? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this was CITIZEN KANE or ALIENS, but I really enjoyed the film. I thought the storyline was interesting, the acting was mostly good and the character development worked for me. I loved that Hopper's a screw up and his gal is the admiral's daughter and works in re-hab. I liked the tie-in with the soldier that had lost his legs and I felt the Japanese officer was a nice touch. Using the old Navy guys at the end was fun.

Okay, sure there were some downsides. Not likely that the Missouri could actually do what it does in the film and some of the CGI was a little cheesy. But what ever happened to giving a film a shot by going into it with "a willing suspension of disbelief". Overall, for what it was, I really thought it was a good film. Nice special effects, clever that the aliens can't handle sunlight and, again, I honestly felt the storyline held together. Overall I'd give it a B. As I said, I didn't see it in the theater, but if I had I don't think I'd have walked out wishing I had my two hours back. As it was, I had to stay up until 2:30 to watch the movie on TV and I felt it was entertaining and worth my time.

What am I missing here?
    I haven't seen it, but I theorize the movie gets unfairly trashed for eing based on a board game (seen as a cash grab) and then adding in aliens which has nothing to do with the game. Sometimes movies get praised or torn apart not based on their merits but based on group think dynamics. We hate it because we are SUPPOSED TO. I mean Battleship gives you so many reasons to hate it without seeing it, and people just accepted that.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Pain & Gain. Great movie. I highly recommend it.
    I enjoyed it, the Rock was FANTASTIC!! to go on with what I said above I still believe he gets unfairly dismissed because he was a Wrestler first. critically and commercially he has proven time and again he has the skill to pull off roles, but some people won't allow him that. he may never be a MASTER thespian, but he is very good, at least as good as Tom Cruise IMO (for my money better)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Rise of The Guardians

I honestly think I have found a replacement for Lilo and Stitch for my number one film. I loved everything about this movie, it is one of those happy upbeat joyous movies that just make me stay happy for hours (if not days) after watching it and also reminds me why animated movies are still my fave kind of film.

I just love this movie SOOOOOO much
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Master of New Adventures!
    Well since we're on the same page here, I'd be interested to hear why you (and others) think BATTLESHIP bombed and was a huge loss for the studio? I mean, good cast, nice acting mostly, good script, overall good+ dialog, good characters, powerful and cohesive storyline and good special effects.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Nothing. My wife and I thought this was a great flick, twenty times better than the garbage we had to sit through with all the Bayformers films Though I will say that the novelization of the movie helps expand alot of the movie plot.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Well since we're on the same page here, I'd be interested to hear why you (and others) think BATTLESHIP bombed and was a huge loss for the studio? I mean, good cast, nice acting mostly, good script, overall good+ dialog, good characters, powerful and cohesive storyline and good special effects.

I don't get it.
    Because it was just a terrible movie based on the dumbest concept ever. They pretty much just took every bad alien invasion movie in the world and slapped the name of a board game over it. And a good cast? Uh... Liam Neeson was barely in it. The rest of the actors in it suck major ***. First, it had the terrible actor from both John Carter and Wolverine in it, which are both pretty dreadful movies as it is. Then you put in Rihanna, another freaking rapper that thinks they know how to act. Finally, it was pretty much the plot from that god awful Battle Los Angeles movie, just on water. It had no development, bland action scenes, and some of the worst dialog ever. Oh yeah, and did I mention it was based on a freaking board game?!
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Widget
    I recently watched the Hunger Games again

it made me look forward to the sequel.
    Quarrels and Quills needs some talkative members. Check it out.

RPG Tools - need a name. come here

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    I recently watched the Hunger Games again

it made me look forward to the sequel.
    I just watched that too. I couldn't put my finger on it but something felt very familiar about it. Kind of like a 80's Arnold movie but no Arnold.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Because it was just a terrible movie based on the dumbest concept ever. They pretty much just took every bad alien invasion movie in the world and slapped the name of a board game over it. And a good cast? Uh... Liam Neeson was barely in it. The rest of the actors in it suck major ***. First, it had the terrible actor from both John Carter and Wolverine in it, which are both pretty dreadful movies as it is. Then you put in Rihanna, another freaking rapper that thinks they know how to act. Finally, it was pretty much the plot from that god awful Battle Los Angeles movie, just on water. It had no development, bland action scenes, and some of the worst dialog ever. Oh yeah, and did I mention it was based on a freaking board game?!
    I agree with this mostly except for the fact that, IMHO, John Carter is a good movie and the actor is not that bad, he ranks at a Keanu Reeves level, from whom I've enjoyed most of his movies.
    I did not understand why the alien ships needed to move by turns being quite predictable besides millions of cliches and Bay-scenes wannabe
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Watched The Campaign Sunday afternoon. It was your typical silly Will Ferrell/ Zach Galifinakis comedy, although I felt it was very effective about comedically lampooning why Americans often feel so disenfranchised with politics without bashing any political parties. I laughed quite often, my wife a bit less so.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

I just saw Lincoln. It was a pretty good movie. It focused primarily on abolition and didn't delve into vampire hunting at all.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Just saw Iron Man 3 last weekend, and it was nice having the hero provide some narration for the movie. It also had its share of strange moments, like the Iron Man suits coming to save the day. (My brother and sister wanted to pop me for comparing that scene to the times that the Power Rangers show up for battle.) Overall, it's worth seeing, especially the after-credits scene featuring one of the Avengers.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

The Bay

an amazingly creepy found footage movie. Damn it was creepy. While typing this I can still feel my heart beating...
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Silver Linings Playbook.

Very boring and disengaging. And 2 hours long! Not near as good as the hype.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Watched Star Trek (2009) on dvd last night to get ready to see Star Trek: Into Darkness today in the theater.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Silver Linings Playbook.

Very boring and disengaging. And 2 hours long! Not near as good as the hype.
    Just goes to show that different people have different tastes because my wife and I really liked it. Might also have a little bit to do with Jennifer Lawrence being from our hometown

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post

Just goes to show that different people have different tastes because my wife and I really liked it. Might also have a little bit to do with Jennifer Lawrence being from our hometown
    The lead actor/character was completely unlikable to me. I thought he/the character was stupid. I couldn't tell if this movie was trying to constantly where a smirk or take itself seriously. I know I didn't laugh once. And I wasn't moved by and of the seriousness, either. Just wasn't for me.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela