Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

HD figures on youtube
    Dumb & Dumber.........

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Just a reminder to keep this thread to the topic of last movies seen. Everyone's entitled to their opinions.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I just watched The Dark Knight Returns Pt1. It was really good, but I wouldn't say it was the best. Under the Red Hood and Green Lantern still get that honor. However, it is definitely up there. Oh, and I guess we have two different views of what I meant by techno sounding music, because it was definitely present in this movie, and it was awesome.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    i know nothing of this film's history, can i still see the film n know whats going on? or whom is who?
    Yeah. They skip the entire origin part and go directly into an average day for Dredd and that's all you need to know.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    i know nothing of this film's history, can i still see the film n know whats going on? or whom is who?
    Yep. What little exposition you need about Mega City 1 is given right at the start then *boom*, straight in to a 'day in the life' type scenario. Just approach it like a futuristic, ultra-violent cop movie.

It does help to khow that Dredd's lack of emotion & minimal humour is a rather satirical extreme that's always been in the comics and is not bad writing or acting on the part of the film, but otherwise it's just a rollercoaster.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Yeah. They skip the entire origin part and go directly into an average day for Dredd and that's all you need to know.
    Yea this one was bad even though Karl Urban did a good job but the rest was...BLEH!

You know with all of the hate for the Stallone film at least it used characters that were from the book...

I hope you mean bad as in Michael Jackson Bad. I loved the movie.

Looper

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis play Joe 30 years apart. The plot is complicated to describe. In present day, which is far into the future for us, Joe is an assassin for the mob. 30 years into the future, time travel is invented and used illegally. The present day assassins are sent back to the past to be killed since they are loose ends for the mob. Guys like Joe get paid to kill them, including themselves if they have to.

We end up getting to know both versions of Joe. Young Joe must kill his future self so the mob doesn't go after him. Future Joe basically comes back Terminator style to prevent something horrible from happening in the future.

Despite the complicated set up and time travel plot, the movie has great story telling and somehow remains original.

This is becoming Levitt's year with TDKR, Premium Rush, and now this. All three of his characters are unrecognizable from each other. The make up job and his mannerisms in this movie actually made me forget who the actor was. Bruce Willis is good as usual. Jeff Daniels steals every scene he's in as the mob boss from the future. Emily Blunt also really good, solid cast in general.

Nice refreshing sci-if movie
    Last edited by SCB; September 29, 2012 at 02:24am.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Yea this one was bad even though Karl Urban did a good job but the rest was...BLEH!

You know with all of the hate for the Stallone film at least it used characters that were from the book...
    Yeah, Stallone's Dredd captured Fergie's character PERFECTLY!!
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Warrior
    The Toxic Avenger: Sick, funny, gory and enjoyable comical sci-fi horror comedy that put Troma on the map and a cult classic in every sense of the word. I remembered when i was 10 as i loved the cartoon of Toxic Crusaders and had the merchandise i wanted to see the film that started it all, i rented the film in it's unrated uncut version and MY GOD it made me sick especially that horrific scene where the 4 baddies hit and run a child then they drive back on the little boy's skull as they crush it then take pictures of the body with the busted head, i nearly puked as it looked like an actual dead corpse but thankfully it wasn't. Despite that awful scene this is still a great cult movie no doubt with gore galore, dark comedy and satire abound plus Pat Ryan Jr. is a hoot as the mayor and Sarah is a hottie no doubt.

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein: One of the best comedies ever and perfect Halloween viewing no doubt,

Wicked City (1987 animated): One of the coolest animated movies ever! this erotic and surreal horror fantasy animated film is done by Yoshiaka Kawajari of Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust fame and loaded with great animation, sex abound, gore, surreal monsters and visuals inspired by Lovecraft, John Carpenter and David Cronenberg combined. Loved this since i was 14.

The Monster Squad on blu-ray: 80s classic no doubt! i saw this 3 times in theaters as a kid and loved it, one of my fave childhood movies and doesn't look bad on blu-ray.

Night of the Creeps on blu-ray: Cult sci-fi horror fave which i saw in theaters when i was 5 and thought it was one of the coolest films of the 2 genres. This witty and gory comedy is from Fred Dekker and a nice tribute to EC horror comics of the 50s with great make-up effects, alien slugs, zombies, exploding heads, humor and Tom Atkins as a lovable detective.

Mad Monster Party on blu-ray: Ah yes one of The Nightmare Before Christmas's inspirations and this 1967 cult animated classic is made by Rankin-Bass who know how to make unique animation even stop motion no doubt. I loved this since i was 6 when i rented it on video and became a halloween viewing tradition for me every year. Boris Karloff is terrific as usual.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Arrested for copying dogs FiveOfSeven's Avatar
    Far beyond any imaginative work of terror or science-fiction
    Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    Yeah, Stallone's Dredd captured Fergie's character PERFECTLY!!
    #scanningforsarcasm
    In the old days the Indians who used to live around here called it a "black wind"; they believed that it carried the voices of evil spirits, and that if you listened to it for long enough it could drive you mad.
    (Bill Pronzini)

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Wolfmen of nards!

I haven't seen the new Dredd yet, and I have never read the comics. I liked Stallones version. It was a good popcorn flick IMO.

As for the Toxic Avenger...I liked the cartoon and I had a few toys. Then I rented the movie........doesn't go well together.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

The Stallone version is a parody compared to the new one.

The Stallone version is a parody compared to the new one.
    Really??? Funny I didn't see Judge Death as the main villian among other things......

Some cheap made up female drug kingpin.....Lame!

U mad bro?

Lena was awesome as Ma-Ma. If there are ever sequels, Judge Death and others will follow since this captures the real Judge Dredd from the comics, such as never taking off his helmet. This was a jumping off point.

U mad bro?

Lena was awesome as Ma-Ma. If there are ever sequels, Judge Death and others will follow since this captures the real Judge Dredd from the comics, such as never taking off his helmet.
    Mad??? No Ma-Ma-....the whole point was that Stallone's film used MORE of his allies & enemies than this one did..can you admit that at least?

This was an isolated story about a routine drug bust and a changes in Dredd's motivations because of another Judge. The other one was about Judge Hershey and Rob Schneider bringing out Dredd's soft comedic side. Taking off the helmet disqualifies the first movie if you're a purist for the comic.

This was an isolated story about a routine drug bust and a changes in Dredd's motivations because of another Judge. The other one was about Judge Hershey and Rob Schneider bringing out Dredd's soft comedic side. Taking off the helmet disqualifies the first movie if you're a purist for the comic.
    See that's funny though it's a MOVIE think a movie should be 100% to the source material be it a video game or comic book...Sorry will never happen

Do you think Avengers was done 100%? No and it's still a great film...I read & collect comics and I don't get bent out of shape over little things that don't mean anything.....

Heroic Warrior
    Lady and the Tramp: I thought this was a okay Disney film. I always mute at the part with the cats. Bella Notte always puts a smile on my face.

From Russia with Love. Nothing short of pure brilliance.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Well if you want to get technical, those weren't zombies in the last two movies either, they were Las Plagas.

I love The Shinning. That movie is down right incredible. The one you say that may have inspiried Silent Hill sounds interesting as I am a big Silent Hill fan (and consider the first movie to be the best video game movie to date).
    Oh yes Shining is a classic indeed and city of the Living dead (aka Gates of Hell) is scary yet gross as it's guaranteed to make your gag reflex turn at some scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtonnut View Post
    I love The Black Cauldron.
    Me too, The Black Cauldron is such a fun underrated fantasy animated epic that is perfect Halloween viewing and did Horned King reminded anyone of Skeletor? it did to me when i first saw that in theaters and thought of Skeletor the whole time on the 3 viewings in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Wolfmen of nards!

I haven't seen the new Dredd yet, and I have never read the comics. I liked Stallones version. It was a good popcorn flick IMO.

As for the Toxic Avenger...I liked the cartoon and I had a few toys. Then I rented the movie........doesn't go well together.
    Say Geo, you watched Toxic Crusaders too and had the toys too? COOL i had the toys too and you rented the movie to see how it all started when you were 11? wow, did it shocked you like it did to me when you were a kid seeing that movie especially with that horrifying scene of a child getting his brains crushed by the baddies to more of the shocking violence shown including the attempt near raping of a blind chick scene? I mean WHAT IN THE HELL were they thinking making a saturday morning cartoon based on a movie that was NOT for children as it was a raunchy, ultra-violent and gruesome as hell superhero movie? i mean i thought the same thing when i use to watch Rambo and Robocop cartoons, they even marketed the merchandise to kids.

Black Sabbath (1960) on blu-ray: A 60's horror classic that creeped me out when i was 10 when i rented it on video and a fine Italian horror anthology for fans of anthology films, it looks nice in high def.

The Gate on special edition DVD: Fun and enjoyable 80s cult horror fave that i saw 3 times in theaters as a kid and loved it, Stephen Dorff before he was in Blade made his debut with this Canadian shocker in the Poltergeist, The Beyond and Gremlins tradition film.

Ringu: Quality Japanese ghost story that freaked me out since i saw it on an import tape from one of my city's comic cons and the American remake is excellent too.

Suspiria:: A cult classic and one of the best horror films ever made, a real work of art as it's Argento's masterpiece, scared the hell out of me when i was 12 when i rented it and still is a fine chiller.

Cabinet od Dr. Caligari: On par with Nosferatu and Phantom of the Opera of one of the best horror movies of the 20s, an influential classic that is admired by directors including Rob Zombie.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Madagascar 3. Saw it at a late session no kids therefore more enjoyable. Seen the trailer for Wreck It Ralph and it's a definite must see for my sister and I.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    OK, second time: Please keep discussion to the topic of movies seen. Off-topic posts are going to be deleted.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Angels in the Outfield
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by HordakQuack View Post
    Angels in the Outfield
    Which one?

I just watched Goldfinger. Great movie, not as good as From Russia with Love, but good nonetheless.

Heroic Warrior
    Hellraiser on Starz blu-ray: kickass horror fantasy classic and i saw this movie in theaters 3 times when i was a kid and i had the poster in my room plus some merchandise including comics.

Hellbound Hellraiser 2 on 20th anniversary DVD: Saw this 2 times in theaters as a kid even with my bigger brother as we were both Hellraiser fans and this is an excellent sequel with creativity, gore, torture and supernatural elements abound with unique special effects.

Phantasm: Cult sci-fi horror fantasy fave, scared the hell out of me when i was 4 when my brother rented it on video. The Tall-Man is quite creepy i should say and made a nice legacy and impact on the genre.

Scanners: One of Cronenberg's most underrated films ever, this sci-fi horror shocker with Michael Ironside and Patrick Mcgoohan. It's famous for it's startling graphic special effects mainly the infamous head explosion sequence, i saw this when i was 7 and it shocked me, one of my faves of the sci-fi horror genre.

White Zombie: Classic 30's Val Lewis horror at it's finest and the first zombie movie ever, this one deals with the Caribbean island zombies before Romero and EC comics reinvented the genres. Loved this since high school.

Vampire Hunter D: This is the movie that got me hooked into anime when i was 12 when i rented it on video and thought it was an awesome movie, this animated horror fantasy sci-fi film has gore, action, nice sequences and i had a crush on Doris at that age, she was cute no doubt.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust: Excellent sequel that blows away the original as i did saw it in it's 2001 theatrical release when it came here to the states, this one is done by Yoshiaka Kawajari of Ninja Scroll and Wicked City fame as this is his masterpiece no doubt. Awesome animation with stunning visuals, great storytelling, romance and action abound.

The Avengers on blu-ray: Seen it 8 times in theaters and it's my fave movie of the year no doubt, i'm a huge comic fan and this movie satisfied me and i can't wait for the sequel.

Vamp: Who remembers this 80s horror comedy cult fave? i do and i saw it in theaters when i was 5 years old and thought it was freaky, this one influenced stuff like From Dusk Till Dawn and B ordello of Blood. Grace Jones does terrific as the vampiress Katrina as she is one of those singers that can act, Geedee Wantanabe is hilarious in this one and Deedee Pfeifer is a hottie no doubt being Michelle's sister, i even still have that 2001 playboy issue with her in it.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 1, 2012 at 03:44am.