Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

Argo

During the Iranian hostage crisis, six Americans escaped the U.S. embassy and secretly hid in the home of the Canadian ambassador. This story is about a CIA operation to get the six back home safely. One CIA agent comes up with the implausible idea of smuggling them out while posing as a Canadian film crew filming a science fiction movie similar to Star Wars.

This is a great movie and Ben Affleck is a far superior director than he is an actor. The movie is very tense and suspenseful, even if you know the ending. At the same time it's also very funny. Really good acting all around and great cast with Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, and Alan Arkan.

Looper.

Not a bad film but not one that i thoroughly enjoyed either. Probably one of those films i'll watch once and never (or will never) care to watch again.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Octopussy - Like TSWLM, not as bad as I initially thought, but it does have a lot of cringe inducing scenes such as the Tarzan yell. Who the hell thought that was a great idea? I like the music to the movie, but it moves at the pace of a snail. No where near as bad as Moonraker, but nowhere near as good as Live and Let Die.

A View to a Kill - This one is a mixed bag. Like what I just said, not as bad as I thought it was, but Christopher Walken is the main reason to watch this movie. He is just awesome in it. Moore looks too old to be Bond at this point (even worse than Octopussy), and the Russian girl served absolutely no purpose in the movie other than for fan service. On the other hand, the battle over the Golden Gate Bridge was pretty cool and the opening theme is by far the best since Live and Let Die. The girl, on the other hand, was pretty useless in this movie because all she did half the time was whine.

Overall, the Moore movies are huge let downs, especially considering how good Connery's era was. Moore himself had some really great moments, but the dude seemed to be a super human at times, especially in his last few moments when his age really showed. The biggest problem with his era of movies though outside of getting campy is that they are just not all that interesting. They each have some interesting ideas, but a lot of the characters are boring, especially in the villains department. Outside of Mr Big and Scarlamanga, no one really stands out when you look at the previous era with Largo, Blofeld, Dr No, Klebb, and Grant. Even the Bond girls during this era were not all that exciting as a lot of them seemed to more dummies than anything else. I'll take Tatiana, Aki, and Tracy over Goodnight, Goodhead, and Sutton any time.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Dracula: The original Bela Lugosi one. You can have your slasher films, give me the classic horror films.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtonnut View Post
    Dracula: The original Bela Lugosi one. You can have your slasher films, give me the classic horror films.
    That's good, but no where near as good as Bram Stoker's Dracula from Cappola.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I like classic movies (in my opinion, better than the garbage we get these days)

Heroic Warrior
    Classic movie, i enjoy classics to gore-fests since i'm a horror fan myself.

Creature from the Black Lagoon on blu-ray: Another one of my fave horror movies since i was a kid and it looks/sounds nice in high def, don't miss out on this classic of Universal horror and one of the 50's best.

Vault of Horror: A solid sequel to Tales from The Crypt and adapts yet more EC stories into the film like the last one and a fave of mine since i was a kid too.

The Beyond (aka 7 Doors of Death): Lucio Fulci's surreal horror masterpiece is scary and bizarre with graphic gore from spiders eating human flesh, gut munching, eyeball ripping and all that to zombies abound with supernatural occurances, i saw this in it's butchered cut when i was 10 and found it creepy but later when i bought the uncut version i found it to be a superior version than what we had.

Event Horizon on blu-ray: Underrated cult sci-fi horror thriller with a nice cast and dark images abound, this is like Cliver Barker's stuff in space but imaginative no doubt. Loved it since i was a teen when i saw it 3 times in theaters.

From Beyond The Grave: An excellent Amicus horror anthology from the UK that i also enjoyed since i was a kid and a must watch for fans of horror tales.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) on blu-ray: What a remake this was! produced by Wes Craven himself as he co-wrote it too, this over-the-top gory and stunning remake offers nice acting especially by Scott Glen from Silence of the Lambs, blood abound and scares too.

Manhunter on 2-disc DVD with the theatrical cut: Overlooked cult psychological horror crime thriller, this is the original adaptation of "Red Dragon" and was followed by Silence of the Lambs, William Graham stars in this movie with Brian Cox as Hannibal Lector. Always enjoyed it since i was 13 when i rented it as i realized there is a movie before Silence of the Lambs.

Pin: Overlooked cult psychological horror thriller about a crazy man who believes his visible man mannequin is alive and he uses it as a weapon sometimes, very similar to Psycho and Tourist Trap, this on creeped me out when i first rented it when it came out on video.

Living Dead at The Manchester Morgue (aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Don't Open the Window) on blu-ray: Overlooked but brilliant Spanish/Italian/UK import with a small cult following about the idea of a pesticide that has deadly chemicals with effects that turn people into zombies and could also bring the dead back to life. Graphic and well written, well produced and atmosperic too. Recommended.

Silence of the Lambs on blu-ray: One of the best horror/thrillers ever and it won an oscar? WOW, it's that damned good. I saw this 3 times in theaters as a kid and is one of my favorites, it looks/sounds nice in blu.

Near Dark: Underrated and brilliant vampire shocker from Kathryn Bigelow as it's one of her earlier films, a well written, dark and violent modern (for the 80s) film with a western feel to it and it's like Lost Boys meets Devil's Rejects. Bill Paxton rocks as Severen who's one badass vampire mofo known as Severen with Jeanette Godlstein and Lance Henrickson, Tangerine Dream's score is outstanding. I saw this in theaters 2 times when i was 6 and thought it was unique.

Black Christmas (1974): Superb psychological horror thriller from Bob Clark who gave us A Christmas Story does a darker version of Christmas about a madman who is stalking a soriety house during the holiday seasons. Influenced Halloween and every slasher film but has little gore but more on psychological thrills. Magrot Kidder with John Saxton star in it, this gave me the creeps since i was 7 when i rented it.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 15, 2012 at 12:52pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Pandorum, and okay-ish sci-fi/horror. A couple of nice twists kept me interested.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

I like classic movies (in my opinion, better than the garbage we get these days)
    Oh, I agree, as I prefer suspense over gore. That does not mean every horror movie these days is garbage though, as Cabin in the Woods was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    Pandorum, and okay-ish sci-fi/horror. A couple of nice twists kept me interested.
    Pandorum is quite good because it reminds me of Event Horizon.

Heroic Warrior
    Oh, I agree, as I prefer suspense over gore. That does not mean every horror movie these days is garbage though, as Cabin in the Woods was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Pandorum is quite good because it reminds me of Event Horizon.
    I meant by movies in general.

Metamorphosis - Alien Factor - a fun cheesy sci-fi movie about a scientist who turns into a blood thirsty alien creature when he gets infected with alien DNA and it all takes place in a typical multi-billion dollar lab, the kind with only 8 employees (the boss, his 2 henchmen, 2 security officers and 3 scientists) despite having the room and budget for a staff a few hundred times bigger

Ginger Snaps Back - a great werewolf movie and both a good prequel to Ginger Snaps as well as a good third movie in the Ginger Snaps Trilogy

Dracula - It is a pretty good movie, especially with Philip Glass' score, but some scenes seem oddly edited.

Daughter of Dracula - This one, on the other hand, is kind of boring and not all that exciting. It has some interesting ideas in it, such as the countess trying to fight off her vampire self, but the movie itself just comes off as bland as the characters are meh at best.

Son of Dracula - THis one is decent, as the ending was unexpected, but overall, it isn't that great a movie. Lon Channey just doesn't pull off the aristocratic vampire for me, and the movie drags on a bit. No where near as bad as DoD, but it could have been much better.

House of Dracula - This one is quite enjoyable. In fact, I always forget what happens here since this is one of the movies I have rarely seen. I like Carradine as Dracula, and Lon is great as a tormented soul, but Dracula's quick death and bringing Frankenstein back for two minutes were wasted opportunities and felt cheapened. Still, I like the scene when the doctor goes mad and this remaining half hour of the movie flies by.

The Living Daylights - Great movie, nice to see a younger Bond, and one that is serious again. The girl isn't my favorite, but she is far from the worst. I really enjoy the scenes in the desert, especially the airplane battle.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant by movies in general.
    Well that I disagree with. There are just as many great movies these days as there were back then. I'm not sure how far back you require a movie to be in order to be a classic, but some of mine include King Kong, The Maltese Falcon, A Clockwork Orange, Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Shawshank Redemption, The Thing, The Matrix, The Dark Knight, Inception, Alien, Lord of the Rings, and every Tarantino movie. All eras have their amazing movies and their terrible movies. Now I will agree that this year specifically has been utter crap when it comes to movies, as outside of a handful of movies (Avengers, TDKR, Prometheus, Brave, Cabin in the Woods), the year has been pretty bad. Fortunately, we have Skyfall, Hobbit, and Django Unchained to look forward too.

Seven Psychopaths

If you've seen In Bruges a few years ago, you'll like this and vice versa. It's the same type of satirical humor mixed with some great serious moments by the same director and with Collin Farrel.

The story follows Collin Farrel's character, who is a screen writer with writer's block and alcoholism. His best friend, played by Sam Rockwell, steals dogs for reward money along with Christopher Walken. The screen play is supposed to be about 7 psychopaths and the movie goes in and out with Farrel's story while introducing us with the psychopaths through out the movie and it slowly comes together by the end when all of them are revealed.

I think most of it is really good to great. The acting along with the surprising and touching story telling around the psychopaths at times is fantastic, but the third act where the movie moves into the desert might lose you. The movie drastically changes momentum, but ends really strong.

Despite my one complaint, it's still one of the better quality movies out right now. It's a good satire on on action and shoot out movies, but also offers some great real moments.

War of the Planets, an utterly crackers yet utterly adorable Italian science fiction film from the 1960's.
    Footprints on the Moon, a bizarre Italian 'giallo' of sorts with some very strange imagery
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

License to Kill - What a great movie this is. It has a different feel from the others, it shows Dalton at his finest, and it has a lot of great actors I recognize for once (Shang Tsung, Kitanna, The Matrix senator dude, the guy from Scarface, Del Toro). Plus, the opening song is awesome. It is a shame that Dalton was never given the chance to shine again as Bond, as he was thousands of leagues better than Moore. I wish they had chosen him over Lazenby back in OHMSS just for the fact that he probably would have had an entire era of Bond movies to his name. Nevertheless, this is an excellent movie and I like how they took various pieces from the Bond stories and stringed it into this (at the time) final movie.

Red Lights was fairly descent. Great cast; Cilian Murphy, Sigourney Weaver, Robert Deniro. Kinda of a Sci-Fi, Suspense, Paranormal movie. Really keeps you guessing til the end. I give it a B+/A- would definitely buy it.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

I watched "Lonesome Dove"...all 6+ hours of it yesterday
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; October 17, 2012 at 06:13am.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

License to Kill - What a great movie this is. It has a different feel from the others, it shows Dalton at his finest, and it has a lot of great actors I recognize for once (Shang Tsung, Kitanna, The Matrix senator dude, the guy from Scarface, Del Toro). Plus, the opening song is awesome. It is a shame that Dalton was never given the chance to shine again as Bond, as he was thousands of leagues better than Moore. I wish they had chosen him over Lazenby back in OHMSS just for the fact that he probably would have had an entire era of Bond movies to his name. Nevertheless, this is an excellent movie and I like how they took various pieces from the Bond stories and stringed it into this (at the time) final movie.
    I love LTK! Dalton actually plays Bond rather than the cartoon character he'd become in recent instalments, and Carey Lowell remains my favourite 'good' Bond girl. It was obviously ahead of it's time, as the same press that embraced the "gritty realism" of the Daniel Craig films (which I do like) seemed to be the very same people condemning LTK as "too dark & violent"...
    Personally, as someone who's read all the Fleming novels, I think Dalton was very underated in the role.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I love that miniseries. It got me to read the two 'prequel' novels, and see the other three official miniseries, though none are as good as LD is.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I love that miniseries. It got me to read the two 'prequel' novels, and see the other three official miniseries, though none are as good as LD is.
    I had never seen it before, so figured it was time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I had never seen it before, so figured it was time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    If you're curious, there are two prequels - Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon, which detail how Gus & Call came to know each other, and set up the other characters (Newt, Clara, etc.). There's also Streets of Laredo, which follows Lonesome Dove.

I don't know if you like to read westerns at all, but McMurtry's west is tough and unstinting, but they are fantastic reads. I thought the miniseries adaptations were pretty well done, all things considered. There's also a "Return to Lonesome Dove" miniseries starring Jon Voight that is not part of the official canon, which I have not seen.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    If you're curious, there are two prequels - Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon, which detail how Gus & Call came to know each other, and set up the other characters (Newt, Clara, etc.). There's also Streets of Laredo, which follows Lonesome Dove.

I don't know if you like to read westerns at all, but McMurtry's west is tough and unstinting, but they are fantastic reads. I thought the miniseries adaptations were pretty well done, all things considered. There's also a "Return to Lonesome Dove" miniseries starring Jon Voight that is not part of the official canon, which I have not seen.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I will look into watching them as well.

Last night I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street part 2. I had never seen it before. It was pretty average. Very little Freddy Krueger in the movie. The plot was not terrible for a sequel but it definitely didn't have any terribly interesting characters. I also felt that it sort of "broke the rules" set forth in the first movie regarding what Freddy Krueger was capable of.

I started watching A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3 last night, but dozed off. It was very good for the 45 minutes or so I saw of it.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

I can't stand Keanu Reeves in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I can't stand Keanu Reeves in this movie.
    Can't stand the film, full stop. It turned the gothic terror of the book into a romantic fantasy... It looked sumptuous, but was as scary as my cat.