Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    BTW, make sure you sit through the credits to Django as there is a scene afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Blade Runner Final Cut - I love this movie and I do not know why. The story seems very convoluted, the ending doesn't really make a lick of sense, but I cannot resist loving it. I saw it for the first time when it came out on BD and am glad to own the new Digibook release of it as I love Digibooks. One day I might actually sit down and watch the theatrical version so I can understand why it is considered to be horrible.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Watched some of Beavis and Butthead do America. The acid trip was cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Disney's Alice in Wonderland (1951)

- - - Updated - - -

Holiday Inn: Not as good as White Christmas, but not bad.

I just watched the Lawrence of Arabia BD I got for Xmas and wow, this movie was fantastic. The visuals were excellent, the music kicked ass (not to mention the BD's audio was outstanding), and the story was excellently paced and done well. I had been told by many people the movie is way too long for its own good and it was not worth seeing due to the running time, but they were wrong. This movie flies by just as quick as Return of the King. The only thing I can really complain about is how there seemed to be some information missing when Lawrence went insane, as one minute he does not want to go back to Arabia, the next he wants to take Damascus, then he is back to not wanting to be in the desert, which kind of lost me. Outside of that, this was a great movie.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Heroic Warrior
    Amsterdam Connection 4/6.....2 rival gangs fight over the drug biz in Europe , two men are also fighting over the same woman. The big bad wolf of kung fu , Bolo Yeung , plays one of the crime lords.....a must for Bolo-fans. Cool to see old skool Ams (yellow trams) and Paris.

Invincible Eight 4/6......Han Ying Chieh (the Big Boss himself) has killed the parents of 8 warriors and thus they want revenge. Many familiar GH stars : Nora Miao , Lee Kun as a cook-turned-warrior , Angela Mao.

Thunderbolt 4/6......another fu set in Bangkok , about 2 rival factories I think. Carter Wong , Miao and Ing Sik as the roundhouse kicking bad guy.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Punisher: War Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    BTW, make sure you sit through the credits to Django as there is a scene afterwards.
    I missed it
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

I watched the Innkeepers last night. If you're not looking for all out terror or a blood soaked slaughterfest this could be a good option. In some ways it is a very traditional ghost story about an old hotel which is entering its last week of operation. The owner has left town, the guests are few, and the last two employees, a rather quirky duo, decide this is their chance to try and record evidence of the hotel's supposed ghost. Its a slow build but my wife and I really enjoyed it (she doesn't do too many horror movies). I'd give it a 4/5, realizing however that horror and comedy are the two most subjective genres, in my opinion.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Texas Chainsaw 3D

I'm a huge fan of the original, one of my favorite horror movies ever. There's been a ton of sequels and remakes of this, almost all of them forgettable. The more recent remake with Jessica Biel was okay. I completely forgot that had a sequel. Well here we go again.

This one takes place directly after the first one ends. They even use footage from the first film to connect the two. When the surviving girl gets away, the sheriff shows up to arrest Leatherface. His family is reluctant to give him up, but agree to do so. However, the townsfolk show up and decide to take justice into their own hands and burn down the house with everyone in it. One of the townsfolk finds a baby near the fire and adopts her as their own. Years later the girl is grown up and gets a letter about her grandmother passing away and some inheritance she was left with. She goes back to Texas and turns out Leatherface survived.

The plot is predictable and dumb, but it's what you'd expect from a TCM remake/sequel. To the movie's credit, it tries something entirely new with the recycled story, which is a twist in the last quarter. It still doesn't make that much sense, but at least it's something different. Alexandra Daddario is a really hot lead and does her thing as far as eye candy.

It probably has the least intimidating Leatherface, some of it due to the big twist, but he really lacks the monstrous presence of the others, especially Gunner Hansen

Is it good and worth watching? It's dumb, but harmless, and mostly fun for a recycled slasher film. Rent it maybe.

Twist in spoiler tags

After the girl ends up finding out that the town murdered her entire family, she decides to forget everything and join her cousin Leatherface. Leatherface is the good guy in the movie, sorta. He means well when it comes to his family, just not anyone else...

Heroic Warrior
    The Rescuers: This was my first time seeing this movie. I watched the second film a lot when I was younger, but have never seen the first one until now (it was on netflix). The whole Bianca/Benard relationship was cute and the opening song was really nice. I would give this 3/5 mainly because didn't care for the dragonfly or the hillbilly animals.

Men In Black 3

Better than 2 and a pretty cool plot twist at the end....

Heroic Warrior
    Creature From The Black Lagoon.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Heroic Warrior
    The Hobbit Part 1 Holy crap this movie was awesome! 5/5

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Django Unchained. Awesome.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Warrior
    Frankenweenie Third time seeing this movie and enjoyed every minute of it.

You know in a way, it's Victor's dad's fault that Sparky died because if it wasn't for him trying to make Victor join baseball, Sparky wouldn't have chased the ball and Sparky would still be alive.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Parental Guidance, and thus proving Billy Crystal's still got the chops for a good heartfelt comedy
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Dredd. Great action movie, and true to it's comic book roots.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    Dredd. Great action movie, and true to it's comic book roots.
    I just saw that too and was pleasantly surprised! It felt very much like an 80s movie, possibly because it had a smaller scale. Also the Slo-Mo effect felt had a Ridley Scott/Bladerunner kind of vibe to it, and the gun violence reminded me of Robocop and Die Hard--although that might just be because I don't usually care to watch movies with a lot of gun violence. This was probably a bad year state-side for that kind of action though. I'm sorry there probably won't be a sequel because this deserved one.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Gangster Squad

Set in 1949, mob boss Mickey Cohen is starting to own all of Los Angeles, including the cops, politicians, anyone willing to get bought and look the other way. One night one honest cop breaks into one of his ***** houses and saves a woman. This gets the attention of the police chief who recruits him to go to war with Cohen, but in the shadows and off the record. He creates a small black ops team to systematically break Cohen's empire.

This is a really good movie. It's a mix of a crime drama meets a western. It's very stylized pulp, making it a fun movie. The ensemble cast is great. Brolin, Nick Nolte, Sean Penn, Robert Patrick, Ryan Gosling, Giovanni Ribissi, Michael Pena, and Emma Stone. Both Nolte and Penn are very over the top, but appropriately so since they seem to be playing caricatures of their figures. It's actually awesome, especially Nolte.

The movie was delayed because one scene had a movie theater shooting. They cut that scene out, which I think is too much. Delaying was enough.

First good movie of 2013. I would just keep in mind that this is not a serious movie. It's sort of a stylized throw back movie, trying to make a retro style movie fun for modern audiences. Dare I say, **** Tracy type camp at times.
    Last edited by SCB; January 12, 2013 at 07:44pm.

I watched Martin the other night. It’s an early George Romero horror film about a teenage boy who "thinks" he's a vampire. I've been meaning to watch it for years. Pretty chilling and original. Great ending.

Gangster Squad - It was all right. I thought Sean Penn did an excellent job of portraying Mickey Cohen, but the rest of the cast is pretty unmemorable. You had the Avatar villain dude, the token black dude, the Mexican, and some white guys. I am curious to see what the original vision of the movie would have been though had the theater shooting not occurred, but oh well. If you can, check it out when it comes to Netflix, as it is worth a one time watch, but that is about it.

BTW, the trailers we had were down right awful. Another Arnold movie, another Tom Cruise movie that is aptly named from what I think has happened to his career, that awful Hawkeye/Fields movies Hansel & Gretel, another lame ass Stallone movie that makes me think of that Mel Gibson movies from a few years back, and then another Die Hard movie. When are they going to stop with these?

Anyway...

Dredd - I have to say, I was actually quite impressed with this. It was a very fun and enjoyable movie. Nothing spectacular, but still a really great comic book movie and I wouldn't mind them revisiting this version of Mega City 1 again. It really did feel like it was something ripped right out of the comics, which was a nice surprise and now I do wish I had been able to see it in theaters in 3D because I'm quite certain those bullet time effects would have been fantastic.

Dredd: I thought it was great. I don't know a lot about Judge Dredd, I have the figures and the Dredd vs Batman books, but I think Urban nailed it. AND HE NEVER TAKES HIS HELMET OFF, which is character. I own the Stallone version and like certain points about it, but I guess Stallone didn't agree with not showing his face. But I thought this was a great shoot em up popcorn flick that I pray they make a sequel with the same cast or at least Urban.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Thunderstruck
    Trouble With the Curve

I thought both of them were pretty good movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Watched Zero Dark Thirty and The Last Stand in the theater today and really enjoyed both!
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    Dredd: I thought it was great. I don't know a lot about Judge Dredd, I have the figures and the Dredd vs Batman books, but I think Urban nailed it. AND HE NEVER TAKES HIS HELMET OFF, which is character. I own the Stallone version and like certain points about it, but I guess Stallone didn't agree with not showing his face. But I thought this was a great shoot em up popcorn flick that I pray they make a sequel with the same cast or at least Urban.
    They won't do a sequel. It needed to make $50 Mil in the US to do a sequel and it made $13.

Speaking of Dredd:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/01/...-in-5-seconds/

Also, if you are a Cowboy Bebop fan, you will probably enjoy this.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    The Last Stand

I must say, it's good to see Ah-nuld back in the game. Do not listen to any negative critics when it comes to 'The Last Stand.' It was chock full of fun, action and things going boom! All actors played their parts well, and the story was well-written, and sped along along at a good clip. Two thumbs up
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Mama

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones) does double acting here as a father who kills his wife and takes his two little girls to the woods. He plans to kill them as we'll, but something saves them. The two girls spend the next 5 years there, surviving somehow, but feral. The father's twin brother finds them and gets custody along with his wife (Jessica Chastain). The two girls bring home some strange entity with them who they call Mama.

The movie has every horror cliche, but is still very creepy and well acted thanks to Chastain and the feral girls. It's pretty good for the genre. Nothing great, but worth a watch for sure.

Broken City

Mark Whalberg plays a cop who murders a rapist killer in pure execution. He's forced to resign and has problems making any decent money ever since. Seven years later the mayor (played by Russel Crowe) is up for re-election and hires him to investigate who his wife is having an affair with before the other guy does. After the mayor finds out, the guy is dead.

The movie starts out really good and has all the right ingridients for a good crime drama, but fizzles out by the end when the story gets too big for the movie to keep up with. It's a fantastic cast with Whalberg, Crowe, Zeta-Jones, Barry Pepper, Jeffrey Wright, and Kyle Chandler, but it's a little too ridiculous at times for all of them to portray so seriously.

Might be worth a rental.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    The Last Stand

I must say, it's good to see Ah-nuld back in the game. Do not listen to any negative critics when it comes to 'The Last Stand.' It was chock full of fun, action and things going boom! All actors played their parts well, and the story was well-written, and sped along along at a good clip. Two thumbs up
    Three of my friends have said it was down right awful. Nevertheless, I won't see it because Arnold, Stallone, Willis, and all of those other old folks need to retire. Their time in the spotlight is over. None of them have had a good movie in years. In fact, the last good movie Arnold did was Terminator 2. For Willis, I will give him RED even though The Fifth Element was really his last excellent movie. The other guys are pretty much forgettable.