Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Saw Evil Dead friday night and loved it. I've been a huge Dead fan for quite a few years, so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. Frankly, I'm excited to see where the whole franchise is going to go. Here's my full review here: http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/04/...rmed-epic.html
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Death Proof - Not Tarantino's best, and I hate the characters of the first half but love the style of it, while I love the characters of the second half but gone is the style, but the movie is still quite enjoyable.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Another Dario Argento film the other night. One I’ve never seen before. Four Flies on Grey Velvet. The identity of the killer eluded me. I thought I had it figured out. Very good. Again, the way the killer is revealed is pure Argento. In short: it’s ingenious. The reveal is completely fantastical and would never work in real life, but for the film, especially considering it’s an Argento film, it works like a charm.

The guy is a genius. Such a shame he’s consistently directed crap from the early nineties onwards. When you see the kinds of films he used to come out with (Suspiria, Inferno, Deep Red, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Tenebrae), and then the films he comes out with now (Dracula, Giallo) it’s almost heartbreaking.

The Place Beyond The Pines

First of all, great movie, very moving, superb acting, some very surprising performances. But much like Drive and Killing Me Softly, the marketing is very misleading and will **** some people off due to expectations.

It's essentially three films, all closely related. The first segment is about Ryan Gosling's character, who is a dirt poor stunt motorcyclist for a traveling carnival act. He finds out he has a kid and wants to provide for him and the mother. With no other skill, he starts robbing banks for some quick payouts. Second segment involves Bradley Cooper, who plays a rookie cop in pursuit of Gosling. He has problems of his own when he realizes the other cops on the force are very dirty. The final act takes place years later and follows the lives of both their sons. The movie is essentially the consequences of the actions of both fathers and how much the choices you make matter.

It's marketed as a high stakes crime drama of honest crook vs crooked cop, but that's not this movie at all. It's a great story with several memorable individual scenes. Gosling is great, depending on how good you think of him as an actor. Some people loved him in Drive, others felt he only shows one facial expression. Cooper is very good, but Ben Mendelsohn steals every scene he's on where he opens his mouth along with the kid that plays Cooper's son. There's also a mini Ray Liotta role where he goes back to his believable nothing but sociopath persona.

See it.

Heroic Warrior
    I just saw "42" yesterday. Fantastic movie about Jackie Robinson's trek to become the first black player to play in the Major Leagues since 1884 and his first season with the Dodgers in 1947. It's a great emotional movie whether you're a baseball fan or not. Great casting, and Harrison Ford will definitely get a lot of love from the Academy for his supporting role as Dodgers owner Branch Rickey. He may even get an Oscar for it.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Creture with the atomic brain(cheesy 50s stuff with a gangter having zombies kill the ones who convicted him)

the giant claw (giant bird, nuff said)

mothra(Fun giant monster movie(well more of a fantasy)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Inglourious Basterds - 10/10 - Just hands down my favorite Tarantino movie. Hans Landa rocks. The dialog rocks! The music rocks!! Everything about this movie is amazing. I also never realized that Harvey Keitel was the voice of Aldo Raign's commander and I always forget that Jackson did the narration in parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    I just saw "42" yesterday. Fantastic movie about Jackie Robinson's trek to become the first black player to play in the Major Leagues since 1884 and his first season with the Dodgers in 1947. It's a great emotional movie whether you're a baseball fan or not. Great casting, and Harrison Ford will definitely get a lot of love from the Academy for his supporting role as Dodgers owner Branch Rickey. He may even get an Oscar for it.
    I hope not. I want people who deserve it that haven't gotten one yet to get awarded. Like Dicaprio. He got snubbed for his work in Django, so they better give it to him for Great Gasby (which I expect to be down right amazing). Harrison Ford is just a nasty old fart that should not be allowed to interact with people anymore as he treats them like crap. As for the movie itself, I have no intention of ever seeing it. I'm sure it is a good movie, but it is about a sports dude, and I don't give two ****s about those type of movies. It's the same reason I will never watch The Blind Side or Invincible.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Saw both the 1937 and the 1952 versions of The Prisoner of Zenda. A really fun story, and a good example in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' category. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. made the villain in the '37 version a remarkable and memorable character, and James Mason just managed to make the same character seem bland and disinterested.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Evil Master of Warcraft
    My girlfriend's brother-in-law is from Austrailia and he was familiar with this story and brought it over for us to watch this weekend.

Red Dog. Great movie based on a true story.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Snappy Threader
    Just saw the new G.I. Joe movie. Really good movie in my opinion. I loved it.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Saw 42 tonight, pretty darn good movie
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Django Unchained - 9/10 - Even better the second time. I still think the portion with the Australians was kind of pointless, but every scene with both Jackson and Dicaprio is down right amazing. I am still mad Dicaprio got gyped out of an Oscar nomination for his role. Sure, Waltz was fantastic as well, but Waltz should have been given the lead actor nomination, NOT costar. Nevertheless, I'll be watching this again on Sat as we have a few friends who have not seen it yet. Inglourious Basterds is still my favorite followed by Pulp Fiction, but it gets hard to decide my order after that, which is rarely ever the case.

Heroic Warrior
    Dark Knight Rises I gotta say the weakest of the Dark Knight Trilogy.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Just saw the new G.I. Joe movie. Really good movie in my opinion. I loved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Saw 42 tonight, pretty darn good movie
    I haven't had a chance to see either yet, but I am looking forward to both.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Gojira and mothra:the battle for earth :1990s kaiju fun.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Heroic Warrior
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation: It was a okay storyline, but I think the martial arts trio (Snake Eyes, Jinx, & Storm Shadow) stole the movie.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I went and watched Oblivion today. I liked it. Wasn't the greatest, but I enjoyed it.

Regal Entertainment is based here in Knoxville so we have a pretty sweet theater. Apparently they just started a RPX (Regal Premuim Experience) "Ultimate sight, ultimate sound, Guaranteed or your next movie is free'. I was very impressed. This was a perfect movie experience it in for the first time. They were really pushing "Feel the sound".

If nothing else, there is a scene where Andrea Riseborough strips down and bends over. Horay! That in itself was worth it!
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

She's topless in Disconnect

Oblivion

This is a sci-fi movie set in the future where Earth is a wasteland and no longer inhabitable for humans. What was left of the human race has moved on to a different planet. Those people harvest whatever is left of earth's resources to use in their new home. Tom Cruise plays sort of a maintenance man on Earth, making sure the drones used there are functioning and what, along with his coworker and life partner. He slowly starts questioning what he does and what's actually happening on Earth and discovers all is not what it seems.

Well this guy's only other directorial work is Tron: Legacy. And if you liked that movie, maybe you'll like this? I personally thought it was a soul less movie, more of a eye candy Daft Punk music video. Anyways, this movie is very interesting the first quarter. Visually, it's really cool at times, but gets less interesting the longer it goes and ultimately drags on too long without ever developing a good plot.

Cruise is exceptional on screen as usual. Morgan Freeman steals every scene he's in, but he's barely in it. The supporting cast is really strong with Melissa Leo and Jaime Lannister, again barely in it. Ultimately there is some really cool things in the movie, but all the down time in the movie, and there are several where the movie just slows down, outweighs any momentum the movie ever has going.

Should you skip it or is it a bad movie? No. But, see it for a matinee price. This is not the summer blockbuster you are looking for.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Rented a few Redbox movies this weekend:

This is 40 - Too vulgar for us so we took it out after about 20 minutes.

Life of Pi - Excellent movie and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Chasing Mavericks - EXCELLENT movie! Really glad we rented it.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I wasted a perfectly good free movie ticket to see Scary Movie V. Who the devil thought this was worthy of seeing the light of day? I didn't laugh once though the whole film, I think I may have snickered once or twice though. This franchise needs to go away and never return.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I wasted a perfectly good free movie ticket to see Scary Movie V. Who the devil thought this was worthy of seeing the light of day? I didn't laugh once though the whole film, I think I may have snickered once or twice though. This franchise needs to go away and never return.
    You mean you didn't figure that out after Scary Movie 2? And then most certainly with the fourth one? Oh, and then all of the spin-offs like Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Date Movie, etc?

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I thought the first Scary Movie was fairly funny. I've only seen a few of the other "____ Movie" films, never in their entirety, and thought they were horrible.

Man, I miss the Abrahams/Zucker stuff.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    I saw Oblivion on Sunday. Good movie. Not great, but good. I thought all the actors were fantastic (although Morgan Freeman really didn't have much to work with). The cinematography was impressive, the set and prop design was really well done, and the movie had some truly great moments. Of course, it also tries to do too much near the end. Still, it reminded me of the great sci-fi films of the late 60's/early 70's, which is a plus in my book. I wrote up a full review on it and will be discussing it on my podcast later this week: http://www.thepicreview.com/2013/04/...dgood-and.html
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Evil Master of Warcraft
    So spoiler question about Oblivion that I don't think I fully understand.........

The aliens that Jack said ravaged the planet, Did they exist? Or were they just the humans trying to take out the drones wearing that tech, which was the real alien????

I think I'm right, just want double check.

Master of New Adventures!
    So I missed BATTLESHIP in the theaters -- actually I stayed away from it because the reviews were awful. It came on TV at midnight last night and I decided to watch it for a couple of minutes.

Am I crazy or am I living in a parallel universe that has an entirely different BATTLESHIP film? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this was CITIZEN KANE or ALIENS, but I really enjoyed the film. I thought the storyline was interesting, the acting was mostly good and the character development worked for me. I loved that Hopper's a screw up and his gal is the admiral's daughter and works in re-hab. I liked the tie-in with the soldier that had lost his legs and I felt the Japanese officer was a nice touch. Using the old Navy guys at the end was fun.

Okay, sure there were some downsides. Not likely that the Missouri could actually do what it does in the film and some of the CGI was a little cheesy. But what ever happened to giving a film a shot by going into it with "a willing suspension of disbelief". Overall, for what it was, I really thought it was a good film. Nice special effects, clever that the aliens can't handle sunlight and, again, I honestly felt the storyline held together. Overall I'd give it a B. As I said, I didn't see it in the theater, but if I had I don't think I'd have walked out wishing I had my two hours back. As it was, I had to stay up until 2:30 to watch the movie on TV and I felt it was entertaining and worth my time.

What am I missing here?