Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

HD figures on youtube
    Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

My favorite movie of 2011.

Super 8 Not too bad. Spielberg..so of course there's going to be some kind of Alien life form tied into story.

I just watched War Horse. When I saw the trailer I thought it looked a bit like a snore fest, but it was really good. It's nearly two and a half hours, but it never really gets boring at all. The story and performances are all really top notch. I highly recommend this film.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Saw The Muppets (2011) yesterday. Awesome!!
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

I just watched the Conspirator and found it very interesting. The first 20 minutes felt like a waste though. They showed the famous events of Ford's Theater and Booth getting shot too quickly as they wanted to focus on the aftermath and trial. I think a prologue would have sufficed to set the scene.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Fright Night

Another one I avoided in theaters. This is a remake which I've never seen about a teenager who finds out his neighbor is a vampire.

And this is surprisingly good. It's a more traditional horror movie, not scary, but creepy. Collin Farrel is unexpectedly good as a vampire villain. The cast is overall solid with Anton Yelchin and Toni Collete.

Good rental.

The Iron Lady

These are glimpses of Margaret Thatcher's life through the eyes of a very old and senile lioness talking to her dead husband rather than an actual biopic. Streep puts on a flawless acting clinic playing the end of her life Thatcher and a prime Thatcher in her glory days. A younger actress plays Thatcher in her 20's. All really good performances. Streep is incredible.

That being said, not really a movie I'd see unless you enjoy watching Streep in action.

The Devil Inside

This is found footage of an unfinished documentary a young woman was doing on her mother. In the late 80's her mother murdered three people. It turns out it was during her exorcism. She was found not guilty due to insanity, but was mysteriously moved to one of Italy's psych wards. The daughter travels to Italy to find out about her.

This is the second exorcism found footage movie and better than The Last Exorcism, but I wouldn't recommend unless you're into these found footage movies just for curiosity. This one starts out nicely then gets progressively worse. I can't say I disliked it though. It's bad, really fun at times just for the few good moments that do deliver.

Dumb, but harmless. Not really worth seeing.

Contraband

You've seen this story before, a former smuggler wants to turn legit, but can't til he finishes one last job.

Despite that and the corny trailers, this is a really fun heist movie. Whalberg is great at playing a street smart tough guy going around dodging death and busting heads. Overall it has a really good supporting cast with Ben Foster, JK Simmons, Giovanni Ribbishi, and Kate Beckinsale.

See it.

Haywire

Soderbergh created this vehicle for female MMA star Gina Carano as the lead. She's surrounded by an all star supporting cast of Channing Tatum, Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender, Antonio Banderas, Bill Paxton, and Michael Douglas. The critics are eating this up, but I'm pretty sure this will be a polarizing movie for the audience.

Well first off, the only reason you'd want to see this is if you want to see a Gina Carano movie. That's exactly what's advertised and that's what you should expect. The movie is pretty much stripped of any story telling and heavily focused on Gina Carano's extended and very detailed fight scenes. Right away you're thrown in the middle of Mallory's (Gina) journey. She's a private contractor who does jobs nobody wants to do in public and has just been double crossed and left for dead by her boss. She's trying to work her way back in, but there has to be lots of bodies on the way.

So is the movie any good? Yes, if you're okay with Gina Carano going around kicking ass in really well choreographed fight scenes. That's the entire movie. The camera also loves her and she comes off looking really good. The acting? Not much was needed. She's a tom boy marine and soldier who can look pretty as a cover. There's talk of her voice being dubbed, but I didn't notice, but I also have no idea what she sounds like in real life.

She'd make a great Wonder Woman if handled right. So, I'd only see this for Gina Carano. It's a very high quality B movie.

Underworld: Awakening

I was surprised they made a 4th movie so soon.

I thought the original had potential, it was cool, but had too much going on. Second one didn't give me what I wanted from the first one. Third one was my favorite by a mile, but it was also a prequel. This one was awesome, like Blade 2 awesome.

This takes place some time after the sequel where humans discover vampires exist and wage a war on them. They find every hiding place and purge them out. Selene and her hybrid boyfriend are captured, frozen, and studied for 12 years. Something frees her and she tries to deal with this new post vampire future.

Yeah they finally got this right. The action is great. I'm being purposely vague about what Selene wakes up to in the future because it's a combination of a surprise and twist, but it's a nice fresh take on the series that makes you want another sequel. Also felt like Beckinsale had a very Resident Evil Alice vibe in her action scenes in this, which is a good thing.

Anyway, if you're into movies like Underworld, Resident Evil, Blade, this is better of those films.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Went and saw a double feature at the movies yesterday and watched Haywire and Red Tails, BOTH of which I thought were excellent movies.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

I thought the original had potential, it was cool, but had too much going on. Second one didn't give me what I wanted from the first one. Third one was my favorite by a mile, but it was also a prequel. This one was awesome, like Blade 2 awesome.

This takes place some time after the sequel where humans discover vampires exist and wage a war on them. They find every hiding place and purge them out. Selene and her hybrid boyfriend are captured, frozen, and studied for 12 years. Something frees her and she tries to deal with this new post vampire future.

Yeah they finally got this right. The action is great. I'm being purposely vague about what Selene wakes up to in the future because it's a combination of a surprise and twist, but it's a nice fresh take on the series that makes you want another sequel. Also felt like Beckinsale had a very Resident Evil Alice vibe in her action scenes in this, which is a good thing.

Anyway, if you're into movies like Underworld, Resident Evil, Blade, this is better of those films.

I want to go see it, but this came out at a very inconvenient time. We just had a fairly hefty snowstorm and getting to a theater is really the least of my concerns. There's a lot of other things going on as well. They did the same thing last year with TRON: Legacy, and I never got around to seeing the movie until July.
    If you'll be my enemy, I'll be your enemy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

I saw this movie yesterday and i agree with you.

The Grey

The Grey, aka Taken with Wolves aka Liam Neeson Will Kill You.*

Neeson plays a sharpshooter who protects Alaskan workers from wolves. He's studied them and know prettys much everything there is to know about wolves. While on a flight with the workers, the plan crashes in the middle of then Alaskan wilderness while a snow storm is going on. There are about 7 survivors and he does his best to make sure the remaining live and get back home. The only problem is they are near a wolf den and the wolves territory feels threatened.*

The movie was really good. It's not a straight forward man vs. wilderness or man vs. monster movie. I mean if you're going in to see Neeson kill wolves the same way he took apart those Eastern Europeans, you'll get what you want, but it's a deeper movie about inner human strength and a little bit of spirituality when constantly facing death.

Liam Neeson makes this movie. If you're a fan of what he's been doing lately (killing things), you'll enjoy this. The movie itself is really well filmed of the cold harsh wilderness and wolf attacks.*

Man-Thing. A very low budget movie based on the Marvel character and freaking awesome as well
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I unfortunately went to see Underworld Awakening. It is utter crap. If you liked the first three Underworlds, avoid Awakening like a plague as it ****** all over them with its ******ness.

I also saw Fullmetal Alchemist Stars of Milos, it was good as long as you look at it as a non-sense anime movie with out of character characters and such like the other movies based on a series are.

Redline, on the other hand, was down right amazing. The best anime movie I have seen since Howl's Moving Castle. It was fun, original, and it is hand drawn.

And finally, I just watched the new Criterion BD of the original Godzilla. Absolutely stunning. If you are a Godzilla fan, this is a must own.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Chronicle

Three high school friends, one who is recording his own life for whatever reason, discover an opening in the ground and find strange rock organisms. All of them gain the ability to move objects, including themselves to fly in the air.

Things are really fun between the three as their new powers bring them closer as they have fun with their new abilities, til one of them snaps and goes on a rampage.

The found footage genre is getting pretty common these days, but this is one of the more creative ones. It's more a superhero movie by the end with lots of action and special effects.

Pretty fun movie.

The Woman in Black

Daniel Radcliff plays a lawyer who travels to another town to get some papers signed. He discovers an angry ghost that the town warns about, but he's determined to pursue her anyway. Each time someone sees her, someone's child dies, he doesn't care.

Really regret seeing this. It's a horror movie dependent on loud noises and jump scenes, basically only cheap scares to the point where they desensitize you from getting scared ever again. They also keep teasing the ghost, but she never ever comes til the end. Nothing happens. The movie tests your patience and the ending is not worth staying for.

Radcliff had nothing to do with it. He's a good actor and so was everyone else involved. It's well filmed, which is a shame because the actual story and pay offs are epic fails.

Skip skip skip.
    Last edited by SCB; February 5, 2012 at 01:55pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just finished the sleepaway cap series
    can't reccomend them(the 2nd one in particular)

also watched "attack of the giant leeches" it's rogor corman what else do you need to know? lol!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Master of New Adventures!
    ROCKY II, very late last night. Not as good as ROCKY III, but 1) it really holds up, 2) I'm a sucker for anything ROCKY and 3) it has a nine-second scene in which no one speaks a line of dialog that ranks in my top ten of all scenes in filmdom.

All told, time well spent.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Watched the third Lord of the Rings movie: "The Return of the King" the other night. Watched all three of those movies in about a week or so. Can't believe those movies are almost ten years old. Good times.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I actually sat down and watched a Twilight movie marathon with my wife a couple days ago.

I either need brain bleach or to turn in my man card. Not sure which.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Safe House

A low level CIA agent is in charge of a safe house that gets zero to no action in his line of work til one day he has to harbor one of the most dangerous men and former CIA agent Tobin Frost (great name!). A group or mercenaries attack the safe house for Frost and Renynold's character is determined to bring him back to the CIA while both are are the run from the mercs. Things get far more complicated when he finds out first hand why Frost is so notorious plus his secret.

Great spy action movie. It's not a Tony Scott film, but it's a damn good impression of one. Denzel is awesome in this and probably one of Reynold's best performances for his own standards. Highly recommend this.

Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance

Just got back from this. Wow, just wow. This was Ghostrider in the Crank 2 universe. It was an art project using Nicholas Cage's most eccentric acting traits, going full Wicker Man. It's a very peculiar film all around. There's a ton of creativity with the filming, but also tons of *** moments, good and bad.

Not sure I can recommend this because of the all around strangeness of the film, but if you do see this, you cannot take a second of it seriously otherwise you will be miserable. It's not a serious film, extremely tongue in cheek 99% of the time.

My favorite part of the film is the last quarter when Ghost Rider is 100% on instead of switching back and forth to Johnny Blaze. It's a great series of Ghost Rider moments.

Also not sure if it was intentional, but they managed to explain why he's suddenly blue, just like his new action figure.

Should you see it? Not if you plan to take this seriously. It's leagues better than the original, but also a bizarre way to make a movie, very unconventional.
    Last edited by SCB; February 17, 2012 at 06:29pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Metropolis(the 1925 classic)

garfieldet force)Not too bad)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I actually sat down and watched a Twilight movie marathon with my wife a couple days ago.

I either need brain bleach or to turn in my man card. Not sure which.
    Please turn in your Man Card. We'll also need your spine and testicles.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

What's Your Number?: thought it was funny and cute. Enjoyed it.

Smurfs: it was alright.

One Day: really good, but really sad

You look pretty pumped for somebody without a pulse

Break a leg, break 'em both

Don't Cleopatronize me

Giant
    Rock Hudson, James Dean & Elizabeth Taylor
    If you have not seen or read the book...you are missing out!!
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Mallrats (1995)
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Just got back from ghost rider and I gotta say I kinda enjoyed it
    SCB is right though tounge in cheek for sure.

I also saw the classic 30s mummy great movie for sure Karloff was a great actor no doubt about it.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I vegged out today and watched Coming to America, Office Space, The Program, BasEketball, and Hot Tub Time Machine