Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Movie(s) You Watched

Heroic Warrior
    Munsters, Go Home (It's just as good as the TV series, even in color.)
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Watched Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and as mentioned by previous posters, it was decent. However, it was not better than the original, in my opinion. They also changed things like who and how the curse was bestowed upon Johnny (by Mephistopheles in the first film and Roarke? in the second, paper cut in the first...). I also hated the new bike he rode on. Where the hell was Grace? No Penance Gaze, etc.

Also, the 3D was barely noticable, as it was converted to rather than filmed in 3D.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

The Rules of Attraction a movie that was released well over a decade ago, which centers around a love triangle between 3 college aged young adults, which graphically portrays the ups and downs of their lives as they look for love. A surprisingly frank and forward movie for its time. I remember several movies being released around the same year, and this is by far the best of them. After rewatching it, I enjoyed it all the more. I'd give it a 7 out of 10, for its quirky darker humor, honesty and incite into people and their relationships.

Chronicle One of these 'found footage' films, focusing on 3 teens who gain mysterious telekinetic powers after exposure to a mysterious entity. The film attempts to explore the darker side of teen alienation, and reveals a more likely outcome to how individuals would use the kind of gifts we as people simply weren't meant to have. While I don't believe it fully deserves the rave reviews it has been recieving across all the movie websites and blogs, it was a fun movie with a twist I didn't expect. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 for its effects and bold attempt at putting a new spin on the superhero genre.

Mulligans A lower budget GLBT film about a closested man who falls for his sons hunky best friend, and the revelations it brings when people close to him find out. It is somewhat bland, and deals with sexuality quite awkwardly in some scenes. I was hoping to see something different, and overall wasn't impressed. I'd give it a 3 out of 10 for being a tired old concept, bringing nothing new to gay cinema. Bleh.

Crow I'm revisiting this movie again, and man, it just doesn't get old. I saw it as a teenager and loved it. Set against a gritty, dirty inner city backdrop, with many talented actors who are convincing in their roles. If you were living under a rock, I suggest you rent it. Its a dark, bleak movie revolving around a band of criminal scum, and the main protagonist, Crow, ressurected from the grave to claim his vengence on the losers that destroyed his life. Pure awesomeness from start to finish. 8 out of 10!
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 21, 2012 at 03:26am.

Heroic Nocturnal Warrior Sleeper's Avatar
    Bad Boys (Sean Penn / 1983). Bought the DVD ages ago because I loved the movie so much when I was a kid. Never cracked opened the disc until last night. Wish I had remembered that I could have watched it with the option of having the producer's/director's commentary on. Now I have to watch it again. That won't be a problem. Cool movie.
    *~*~PITTSBURGH STEELERS~*~*
    *6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS*
    1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008

bad teacher...i really wanted to see it because that's the field i'm studying for...the movie was ok.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    bad teacher...i really wanted to see it because that's the field i'm studying for...the movie was ok.
    I enjoyed it, but if you want to see a better version of this character, watch Young Adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Watched Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and as mentioned by previous posters, it was decent. However, it was not better than the original, in my opinion. They also changed things like who and how the curse was bestowed upon Johnny (by Mephistopheles in the first film and Roarke? in the second, paper cut in the first...). I also hated the new bike he rode on. Where the hell was Grace? No Penance Gaze, etc.

Also, the 3D was barely noticable, as it was converted to rather than filmed in 3D.
    I thought this movie was actually fun unlike the first one.
    Last edited by SCB; February 21, 2012 at 05:18pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ghost Rider 2

As someone who didn't like the first one, but likes the character & a lot of Nic Cage's performances(although these days, for every Bad Lieutenant, there's a Bangkok Dangerous & Kick Ass), I went into this movie hoping to have a good "turn off your brain for 90 minutes" time. At least that's what I was led to believe I might have by some. Unfortunately, for me, this movie was horrific. I remember not liking the first movie, but it was so forgettable, I don't remember why. In fact, I'm usually a nut about continuity, but I didn't even know this movie contradicted a lot from the first one until someone told me. On the other hand, this movie's crappiness was etched into my soul. If I had known that the guys behind the Crank movies & Jonah Hex(do they need to have someone fighting on a different plain of reality or visually impaired in every movie?) as well as David Goyer(he is only mildly successful when teamed with a director with some talent) made it, I wouldn't have bothered going. It was also sad to see the extremely gifted Idris Elba stuck in his second crummy Marvel movie(although Thor was only flawed, this movie was an absolute turkey imo) and guilty pleasure actor Christopher Lambert make a mainstream comback in this. I will say Cage looks like he either had a blast making it or was coked out of his mind. Too bad I wasn't while watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I enjoyed it, but if you want to see a better version of this character, watch Young Adult.
    Similar character but Bad Teacher was an R-Rated sitcom while Young Adult was more of a depressing drama with hints of humor imo. Young Adult had some suprising depth(I'm not entirely sold on Diablo Cody), but Bad Teacher is a lot more enjoyable I think.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; February 21, 2012 at 08:03pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Master of New Adventures!
    The Grey.

Pretty good. I'd give it a B. (I'd have given it a B- but Liam Neeson elevates anything he's in, imo. Smacked a lot of The Edge with Hopkins and Baldwin and, of course, Jaws. A nice bit of philosophy thrown in -- and Neeson's B-story moves you, though it was pretty predictable. The man can sure act. And the vistas were breathtaking. The wolves were pretty good, too.

But there seemed to be something missing and it irritates me that I can't quite put my fingers on it. I'm not sure exactly what it was but I'd love to hear if anyone else has an idea about that. I think they missed a great opportunity to go inside the wolves and tell it literally and visually from their POV -- i.e., "These guys are interlopers invading our territory and we're justified in what we're doing" -- the way Tora, Tora, Tora was alternately told from the Japanese's POV...with great skill, not surprisingly since the Japanese sequences were written (uncredited) by Akira Kurasawa.

Predictably, my twelve-year old Alex loved The Grey.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 22, 2012 at 11:48am.

Near Dark

Another Classic Vampire movie. Starring Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton and a lot of other fantastic actors. Love me some 80's Horror!!
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

Similar character but Bad Teacher was an R-Rated sitcom while Young Adult was more of a depressing drama with hints of humor imo. Young Adult had some suprising depth(I'm not entirely sold on Diablo Cody), but Bad Teacher is a lot more enjoyable I think.
    I didn't really find the movie depressing. I thought it was hilarious and had an uplifting ending when it was turning depressing.

The vampire bat:
    old b movie about a scientist who claims a vampire is the one who has been draining all that blood from the townspeople it's b movies at thier most "b-ness" (on the other hand with Lionel atwill,Dwite frye and faye raye how bad could it be?)

The ape: Some fun the karloff as a scientist who's trying to make a woman walk again meabnwhile there's a gorilla on the loose(Can't recomend this one)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

SPOILERS FOR "YOUNG ADULT"

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I didn't really find the movie depressing. I thought it was hilarious and had an uplifting ending when it was turning depressing.

Maybe I misinterpeted it, but from the ending I felt it was proof that this insufferable person would never change. Patton Oswalt tried talking sense to her, but it was only the hero worship of his sister that spoke to her. As for the humor, between Patton's character(well done but incredibly sad) and the uncomfortable interactions between Theron & practically everyone else, I cringed more than I laughed. I think it was a better movie than Bad Teacher, but I can see myself watching Bad Teacher again before Young Adult.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; February 22, 2012 at 07:53pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Well I'll put it in spoiler tags in case others want to watch it, they should!

She finally wanted to change at the end, but then Patton's sister reminded her that she's what everyone in town hoped to be, but couldn't. She made something out of herself and that everyone else was the problem. I mean it was satire mixed with some darkness, but it still ended with humor. She might still change, but she will always be that popular chick into her 40's.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Cut. Woof! That first disc was hard to get through. Love the series but it's definitely the slowest part of the films. In theaters, Safe House. Fun, action movie. But forgettable over time.

Am I the only person in Earth that would rather stab eleven-inch long knitting needles into his eyes than sit through any of the Rings films?

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Am I the only person in Earth that would rather stab eleven-inch long knitting needles into his eyes than sit through any of the Rings films?
    Yes, you are. The LOTR films rule them all.

Anyway, my wife and I just got back from seeing This Means War. It was actually pretty good, plenty of actiony packed goodness and comedy and no over the top romantic garbage to make the guys want to kill themselves LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

The Secret World of Arrietty. I was totally unprepared for it being anime, but it was fine after I accepted it. Cute. My nine-year old Zoe loved it -- she's big on female empowerment, having an Irish mother -- and we're reading The Borrowers on her Nook. Of course I related it to THE LITTLES, which was my first writing job in television, THE LITTLES being adapted from The Borrowers.

Overall, however, I felt it was more suited to being an after school special than a feature film. Mind boggling to see the endless credits for animators in this CGI era.

Gone

Amanda Seyfried plays a young girl who escaped a kidnapping Buffalo Bill style where she was drugged, blind folded, and kept in a hole. They never caught her kidnapper because she never got a look at him and the cops never found any evidence of him to the point where everyone believed she was making it all up. So now she's always looking over her shoulder and obsessed with catching her kidnapper. One night her sister goes missing and she's convinced it's the same kidnapper. The cops don't believe her because they think she imagined her own kidnapping, so she takes the matter into her own hands.

Okay this movie felt like it was headed towards a really bad ending the way they made the cops 100% skeptical to anything she would say and made her sound so paranoid where you aren't sure either if she was crazy, but the movie delivers on the build up. Its an entertaining thriller and Seyfried is really good.

Thumbs up for a fun popcorn thriller.

Heroic Warrior
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance: I thought it was pretty interesting in the beginning, but once I started comparing it to the first one, it started looking like they were going for something campy instead of scary. If you haven't seen it yet, you might as well wait for the DVD.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

This is as bad as it gets. If you're okay with this scene, you should be fine with the movie.

just completed a star trek movie marathon...then i watched spaceballs...good times.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

I love Nicolas Cage!!! I know that's not a popular thing to say, but even in a bad movie he's still worth watching imo.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    I just watched Your Highness this weekend, it was ok! had a great laugh when he took his trophy from the minotaur.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Project X

This is a found footage film of three dorks in high school throwing the most epic party of all time. It's a little bit of Superbad meets Hangover in theory, but it's mostly a party movie that gets way out of control. The three main characters, who are similar to the three guys in Superbad kind of are the heart of the movie, mostly the friend that's pushing the whole thing. The guy is hilarious and surprisingly authentic. All the kids in the movie look like real high school kids.

The movie was awesome and a really good time, but only if this is what you're going for. The movie is purely for guys. It's full of fake teen nudity, party scenes, and lot's of humor from a horny male teenager's POV. Really enjoyed it, but if you're going in for some intellectual stimulation, stay home.

Safe House: It worked for me as entertainment due to some intense fight scenes & good acting, but you can tell exactly what's going to happen and whose side everyone is on immediately if you've seen more than one of these types of thrillers.

Journey 2: I only went to see it for the Daffy Duck cartoon before it(I've been enjoying the new CGI Looney Tunes shorts that Warner Bros has been putting in front of their family movies recently), but it was pretty enjoyable. It's totally for kids & you'll forget it the second you leave the theater, but it wasn't bad for what it was.

Tomorrow, When The War Began: It's Australia's answer to Red Dawn and is based on a series of YA books I've never even heard of. While it seemed more like a 100 minute TV show pilot than a movie, I liked it.

JOIN THE GROUP...