Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 391

Thread: Battleground Evil-Lyn: Discussion thread

  1. #251
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    I disagree. Evil Lyn's 200x look when stripped down to design elements is basically the same as the vintage... just more "evil". If anything, the boots and 'skirt' are the most radically different part.



    And Mattel calling the pipes Hyper Anime?? Oh Please!
    It's a great additional piece of design from the 4H... not H.A.D
    Last edited by oICEMANo; December 29, 2011 at 07:04am.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  2. #252
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,911
    I think 200X Evil-Lyn's costume is quite a bit different. The big things for me though:

    - Long skirt vs leaf pattern
    - bone bra with skull vs ram horns bra

    The bone bra and skirt make her look more like Faceless One (as seen below) and the bones on her outfit fit more with Skeletor's motif.



    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  3. #253
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    Yes I know what you're saying but Im saying that if you were to break those down to their most basic design elements (or shapes if you will) it's the same as as the original. (except the skirt and boots)



    Anyhoo, Im not going to argue ad nauseum, I wouldn't mind a modern EL but its not a train smash if I don't get her cos as far as Im concerned I have an EL that is true to her original incarnation and that's fine with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oICEMANo; December 29, 2011 at 07:48am.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  4. #254
    Heroic Warrior DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,091
    I don't make the rules... Mattel does and sadly, they change them to whatever is convenient to them.
    Also I won't deny that there are SOME Similarities with both dresses, but the "More Evil" Elements that break off the Teela Look like the Longer Skirt, the Different Bra and Leaf Patterns. Heck even the Original Teela and Evil Lyn art had them with Slightly different dresses!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

  5. #255
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Heck even the Original Teela and Evil Lyn art had them with Slightly different dresses!
    Huh, thats true (well only for the leaf bit as we don't know whats under that snake headdress...)
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  6. #256
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I don't make the rules... Mattel does and sadly, they change them to whatever is convenient to them.
    Also I won't deny that there are SOME Similarities with both dresses, but the "More Evil" Elements that break off the Teela Look like the Longer Skirt, the Different Bra and Leaf Patterns. Heck even the Original Teela and Evil Lyn art had them with Slightly different dresses!
    Yes, let's not forget this.

    The 4H were making the 8 original figures as they appeared on the cardbacks - EL didn't get that treatment either. She's been robbed every time.
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  7. #257
    Heroic Warrior Thrawn29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    The 4H were making the 8 original figures as they appeared on the cardbacks - EL didn't get that treatment either. She's been robbed every time.
    Exactly.

  8. #258
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,866
    I love this figure.
    She's a perfect blend of her vintage design with 200x-inspired colours. Something new, I love it! Kind of like the vintage-coloured staction.
    The new bracer articulation is nice too. I wish BG Teela had it.
    I even like the spell-casting hand now, and I wasn't thrilled with it at first. It's better quality than Catra's and looks good on her.
    The cape is a nice touch to round out the differences with the classic Evil-Lyn. She looks so cool. Very 'motu'.

    With the exception of waist articulation, I can't think of any reason why I'd desire another Evil-Lyn in my collection. Unless they make something mind-blowing next time, I think I'm all set.

    And I love the vintage Evil Lyn as well. She looks how she's supposed to look based on her vintage toy. motu is made up of sharing parts. If some people here hate Evil-Lyn as much as they claim, they must really hate Moss Man and Stinkor, not to mention all the figures that share the same armor.

  9. #259
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    And I love the vintage Evil Lyn as well. She looks how she's supposed to look based on her vintage toy. motu is made up of sharing parts.
    Not all MOTU. NA and 200X fixed all that. Then like Rocky 5, MOTU lost all of it's millions and went back old school.

    Sharing parts works to a point when you don't have the unique parts option. Snake MAA reached the point where the parts sharing turned into a rip-off.

    If some people here hate Evil-Lyn as much as they claim, they must really hate Moss Man and Stinkor, not to mention all the figures that share the same armor.
    Even Mattel realizes how cheap it was to repaint Beast Man and Mer-Man into new characters and they now sport 200X heads and parts. Besides, fans hated the idea that Moss Man would have been a green painted Beast Man or that Panthor is a purple Battle Cat.

    Parts reuse might be nostalgic, but it goes only so far.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  10. #260
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,866
    ...and Evil Lyn has always had a unique head, unlike the others mentioned, and now she has two. And a brand new cape. So there really isn't a problem there.

    motu = shared parts. Shared parts does go pretty far, actually...it's gotten us 3 years into this line, which has been nothing but successful.

  11. #261
    Pretty cool, huh? a-star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    512
    Lol @ Torgo's Executive Powder. I have a feeling we'll be bringing it up again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I love this figure.
    She's a perfect blend of her vintage design with 200x-inspired colours. Something new, I love it! Kind of like the vintage-coloured staction.
    The new bracer articulation is nice too. I wish BG Teela had it.
    I even like the spell-casting hand now, and I wasn't thrilled with it at first. It's better quality than Catra's and looks good on her.
    The cape is a nice touch to round out the differences with the classic Evil-Lyn. She looks so cool. Very 'motu'.

    With the exception of waist articulation, I can't think of any reason why I'd desire another Evil-Lyn in my collection. Unless they make something mind-blowing next time, I think I'm all set.

    And I love the vintage Evil Lyn as well. She looks how she's supposed to look based on her vintage toy. motu is made up of sharing parts. If some people here hate Evil-Lyn as much as they claim, they must really hate Moss Man and Stinkor, not to mention all the figures that share the same armor.
    I agree with you. I am very happy with the MOTUC Evil-Lyn offerings and don't see a need to refresh this character again.

    I would have preferred a new buck for this figure, which would basically mean Teela version 2 is coming, but I'm fine with this repaint. It looks a lot different than the other version and has some neat additions.

    I do understand why some people wanted her to have a different outfit, but I don't see a need for three or more versions of Evil-Lyn. Let's move on!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

  12. #262
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,336
    Quote Originally Posted by a-star View Post
    I agree with you. I am very happy with the MOTUC Evil-Lyn offerings and don't see a need to refresh this character again.

    I do understand why some people wanted her to have a different outfit, but I don't see a need for three or more versions of Evil-Lyn. Let's move on!
    We'll move on after they make Evil-Lyn RIGHT. While some fans like this Evil-Lyn, others were asking for something else. Some fans wanted the 200X dress on THIS release. Others would have wanted a Filmation repaint.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  13. #263
    Pretty cool, huh? a-star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We'll move on after they make Evil-Lyn RIGHT. While some fans like this Evil-Lyn, others were asking for something else. Some fans wanted the 200X dress on THIS release. Others would have wanted a Filmation repaint.
    Yes, I'm aware of all that. The issue has been discussed at length. Lots of different people want lots of different things.
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

  14. #264
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,803
    finally got bg evil lyn. the evil warriors now feel complete. i'm not at all disappointed with her. this is what i expected & am very happy with the repaint & few extra accessories.

  15. #265
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,791
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Yes I know what you're saying but Im saying that if you were to break those down to their most basic design elements (or shapes if you will) it's the same as as the original. (except the skirt and boots)
    I was surprised about a week ago when I noticed the same thing. Yes, the 200x version has a different look. But the design is still the same. It's almost the definition of the classicizing machine.

    High Collar? Check.
    Bone Bra? Check.
    Three prong shape on stomach? Check
    Rivity/circle belt? Check
    Three prong 'leaf' thing under belt? Check.


    Until pictures like the one Darkspecter posted showed up, I never really looked that close at the symbols on EL suit... but they really are just updated versions of the original. Just... Busier. More angles, sharper edges...

    The 'pattern' on the bra is about the only TRUE difference... but even that keeps the same bone 'concept' as the original.

    I don't really think she would have fit in well with the rest of the line with a full 200x costume. Faceless one's costume was deritive of EL's suit, not so much the other way around... and a lot people complained that HE didn't fit in with the line.

    That said... I still feel this figure was a waste. Either... they should have made the filmation folks 100% happy... or they should have made the 200x folks a100% happy.

    This half and half placeholder until something you want figure... is just a waste. Why make something at all if you know it's not what people were asking for??

    I personally don't see the need for ANOTHER Varient that is just randomly made up. Save those slots for characters people WANT.

  16. #266
    Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,709
    Evil-Lyn is second ONLY to Teela in MOTU lore. She existed a year before Filmation Sorceress and 3 years before She-Ra.

    Evil-Lyn should be released in her proper Filmation colors AND her proper MYP outfits.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

  17. #267
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    Ugh too much Evil Lyn!!

    The 'Wolverine' of MotU
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  18. #268
    Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Ugh too much Evil Lyn!!
    So counting a future proper Filmation and proper MYP Evil-Lyn, we'd have a total of 4 Evil-Lyn figures in the line.

    Meanwhile, we'll have He-Man, BA He-Man, Prince Adam He-Man, Faker He-Man, Wun-Dar He-Man, Preternia He-Man, DC repaint He-Man, and coming soon, Thunder Punch He-Man for a total of 8 He-Man figures with more on the way.

    I don't think two more Evil-Lyn figures will hurt the Classics line. Too much He-Man is more of a threat to do that. If we're going to start an MOTUCrusade, we should look towards He-Man first.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

  19. #269
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I was surprised about a week ago when I noticed the same thing. Yes, the 200x version has a different look. But the design is still the same. It's almost the definition of the classicizing machine.
    EXACTLY.

    It's precisely what this line is about.

    But...

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    That said... I still feel this figure was a waste. Either... they should have made the filmation folks 100% happy... or they should have made the 200x folks a100% happy.
    This I disagree with.

    Many of us "Filmation fans" if you want to lump us together, love her. If you look at the posts, many of us are very pleased - a few are not, but as far as Filmation goes, I've seen a lot more positive "looks Filmation enough for me" posts than people saying otherwise.

    As to the 200x fans, many of them will not accept the fact that this line is not about recreating figures already made 10 years ago in exact detail. It's about "Classics", which you defined quite well. As you explained, it got quite a bit of 200x in it. But...it's *never* going to be enough for the small crowd that keeps beating this poor dead horse. If you really look, it's the same few people posting over and over about it like they are on some crusade. They simply do not understand the Classics line, or worse, they do - they are just so heck bent on their own agenda they ignore it.

    No matter what, unless 4H resculpt 200x Evil-Lyn in precise detail to match the figure released just ten years ago, they will not be happy.

  20. #270
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,791
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    So counting a future proper Filmation and proper MYP Evil-Lyn, we'd have a total of 4 Evil-Lyn figures in the line.

    Meanwhile, we'll have He-Man, BA He-Man, Prince Adam He-Man, Faker He-Man, Wun-Dar He-Man, Preternia He-Man, DC repaint He-Man, and coming soon, Thunder Punch He-Man for a total of 8 He-Man figures with more on the way.

    I don't think two more Evil-Lyn figures will hurt the Classics line. Too much He-Man is more of a threat to do that. If we're going to start an MOTUCrusade, we should look towards He-Man first.
    Well.... I DO think that 4 Evil Lyn's are WAY too many... He-man unfortunately isn't something that we can avoid. Same with Skeletor. Varient's of the two main characters have unfortuntely been a staple of the series from the beginning.

    I just personally don't consider Evil-lyn to be important enough. She didn't have any varients in the 80's... she didn't even have any in 200x..

    If SHE gets 4 varients... then before we know it, so will Teela, and MAA (and they already are scraping the barrel with Snake MAA...) Orko, Beast Man... and whoever else they feel they can justify.

    Regardless... We've got every He-man varient "I" want... so if you're starting the MOTUCrusade... sign me up!!!

  21. #271
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    So counting a future proper Filmation and proper MYP Evil-Lyn, we'd have a total of 4 Evil-Lyn figures in the line.

    Meanwhile, we'll have He-Man, BA He-Man, Prince Adam He-Man, Faker He-Man, Wun-Dar He-Man, Preternia He-Man, DC repaint He-Man, and coming soon, Thunder Punch He-Man for a total of 8 He-Man figures with more on the way.

    I don't think two more Evil-Lyn figures will hurt the Classics line. Too much He-Man is more of a threat to do that. If we're going to start an MOTUCrusade, we should look towards He-Man first.
    But it's He-Man, the main focus of MotU (as is Skeletor). Evil-Lyn is a lackey. I don't see anyone clamouring for a battle armour Beast-Man...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  22. #272
    Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Posts
    2,829
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    But it's He-Man, the main focus of MotU (as is Skeletor). Evil-Lyn is a lackey. I don't see anyone clamouring for a battle armour Beast-Man...
    Actually, Battle Armor Beast Man sounds pretty awesome to me. If the 4HM can sneak in his sword from the 1987 movie, I'm all in!
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

    GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

    If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

  23. #273
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    LOL there's always someone!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  24. #274
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,336
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I don't really think she would have fit in well with the rest of the line with a full 200x costume. Faceless one's costume was deritive of EL's suit, not so much the other way around... and a lot people complained that HE didn't fit in with the line.

    That said... I still feel this figure was a waste. Either... they should have made the filmation folks 100% happy... or they should have made the 200x folks a100% happy.

    This half and half placeholder until something you want figure... is just a waste. Why make something at all if you know it's not what people were asking for??


    I personally don't see the need for ANOTHER Varient that is just randomly made up. Save those slots for characters people WANT.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    So counting a future proper Filmation and proper MYP Evil-Lyn, we'd have a total of 4 Evil-Lyn figures in the line.
    That's Mattel's fault. If they had repainted BGEL to Filmation colors, that would have been one more variant to look forward to.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    This I disagree with.

    Many of us "Filmation fans" if you want to lump us together, love her. If you look at the posts, many of us are very pleased - a few are not, but as far as Filmation goes, I've seen a lot more positive "looks Filmation enough for me" posts than people saying otherwise.

    As to the 200x fans, many of them will not accept the fact that this line is not about recreating figures already made 10 years ago in exact detail. It's about "Classics", which you defined quite well. As you explained, it got quite a bit of 200x in it. But...it's *never* going to be enough for the small crowd that keeps beating this poor dead horse. If you really look, it's the same few people posting over and over about it like they are on some crusade. They simply do not understand the Classics line, or worse, they do - they are just so heck bent on their own agenda they ignore it.

    No matter what, unless 4H resculpt 200x Evil-Lyn in precise detail to match the figure released just ten years ago, they will not be happy.
    And THAT I disagree with. Except for her Teela leotard (which was the one thing we did NOT want), she would have been perfect. You make it sound like 200X fans are being unreasonable and want the exact figure from a decade ago. No one wanted that.

    If we get a Filmation repaint, this newest Evil-Lyn figure will turn out to be a waste.

    As far as 200X fans not understanding Classics, Battleground Evil-Lyn would have been fine except for her Teela leotard. Again, I'm telling you the whole point in us asking for her is that she wasn't a Teela repaint like the original and fell under the 200X variants that Mattel would do, like 200X He-Man, Adam, Randor and Sorceress. Mattel knew what we wanted, couldn't make it because of the new buck that was coming out and made this version, knowing that she's a popular enough character to revisit with minimal risk.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  25. #275
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,273
    I really don't get this. If Evil Lyn gets a "200x version" then whats to stop people 'campaigning' for 200x or Filmation versions of all characters!

    This is the Classics line with Classsics styling. If one figure borrows heavily from the vintage - so be it. If another borrows heavily from 200x - so be it. If there's an even mix for another - thats the 4Hs decision.

    Evil Lyn has been released, thats her look for this line, end of story. Otherwise people will want He-Man with a pouch, or Skeletor with purple gloves cos thats how he appeared in some merchandise. It starts bordering on the ridiculous cos there are so many different version of each character from all manner of media and merchandise.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •