Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Battleground Evil-Lyn: Discussion thread

Heroic Warrior
    i dont believe this was truly meant to be a 200X Lyn, but rather a Lyn varient to go with BG Teela. If they ever do a 200X Lyn, it'll probably be done the same year they do a 200X Teela. Somehow i think Lyn/Teela are gonna be given varients as often ans He-Man/Skeletor and She-Ra/Hordak

For those of you who feel that a slight change would help the BG Evil Lyn. I started a thread for TG to hopefully view and possibly switch out her boots for She-ra 2.0's.

Easy switch before production where as changing the outfit would not be.

Please leave comments on the post I created if you would like to see it done. So far people are saying they are fine with her the way she is.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=211825
    Last edited by CicconeSC; July 26, 2011 at 10:23am.

It is a Emiliano Santalucia design. He needs credit from Mattel for that.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    It is a Emiliano Santalucia design. He needs credit from Mattel for that.
    What is?

The boots I photoshopped or She-ra 2.0's boots?

Also since She-ra 2.0 has the boots already doesn't Mattel own all rights to them? This would be the same as the character design contest. They will own all rights to who wins the contest's design.
    Last edited by CicconeSC; July 26, 2011 at 10:38am.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    From the way it sounded to me after having conversations with Scott (both at the He-Man.org get together and at the Con), I beleive this is our 200x Evil-Lyn. I would not count on getting a 3rd Evil Lyn variant. At least, not anytime in the near future.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    From the way it sounded to me after having conversations with Scott (both at the He-Man.org get together and at the Con), I beleive this is our 200x Evil-Lyn. I would not count on getting a 3rd Evil Lyn variant.
    Then they failed pathetically. The entire point of an Evil Lyn variant was to get her out of Teela's outfit. Which they have now sold to us four times.

I'd just like to voice my own disgust if this is indeed 200x Lyn.

Though the repaint looks great, I just can't bring myself to buy yet another Teela re-paint.

Hell, if you're going to do the Faceless One, why not do BG Lyn with the FO motifs?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    From the way it sounded to me after having conversations with Scott (both at the He-Man.org get together and at the Con), I beleive this is our 200x Evil-Lyn. I would not count on getting a 3rd Evil Lyn variant. At least, not anytime in the near future.
    Good to hear from you, Dan. Does this mean you guys had the same observations about Evil-Lyn's 200X leotard as we did?

I know a new Evil-Lyn isn't coming anytime soon. Just like King Hsss, Cringer and Roboto. However, I hope Toyguru sees this thread and that she's on the table so that Mattel can get to her eventually.

Evil-Lyn is too popular a character to never have a variant again.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    It seems to me that it's the question of the "tooling dollars" again. I don't think they want to tool a new outfit for a quarterly variant, especially since they tooled an extra head for her. If they give her the full, new outfit from 200x, I'm willing to bet she'd be a regular monthly figure. I could be wrong though.

I also hope she's nto off the table entirely. I'm just letting you guys know that this seems to me, having been there and talking to everyone, that this is Mattel's way of getting "200X Lyn" into Classics.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

No complaints from me here...
    looks great as is IMO...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

If they give her the full, new outfit from 200x, I'm willing to bet she'd be a regular monthly figure. I could be wrong though.
    BG Teela set a precedent for variants having a lot of tooling. She only shares arms and lower legs, everything else is brand new. 200x Lyn wouldn't need that much new tooling in comparison.

Thanks for the info though. Hopefully TG will clarify. If true they obviously save money by doing it this way, and will probably use the 'classics machine' argument, but I don't think that should apply to completely different costumes. Lyn's 200x costume isn't the old one with 'hyper anime detail', it's completely different, like her skin colour.

I still like the figure though, and look forward to it. I just hope they make a proper 200x one down the road.

As long as he says "We can do Evil-Lyn in her purple leotard and skirt down the road, but we have no plans now." and agrees that she's on the table, then I'm happy.

That confirms that Toyguru knows what we want and that she's on the table.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    It seems to me that it's the question of the "tooling dollars" again..
    But *** didn't they do a Filmation-Lyn colour scheme in that case? It wouldn't have been 100%, but it'd have been at least CLOSE to the show model!

It seems to me that it's the question of the "tooling dollars" again. I don't think they want to tool a new outfit for a quarterly variant, especially since they tooled an extra head for her. If they give her the full, new outfit from 200x, I'm willing to bet she'd be a regular monthly figure. I could be wrong though.
    I was under the impression that the quarterly variants now pretty much have a regular tooling budget since they are part of the subs and guaranteed to sell.

BG Teela got quite a bit of new tooling. A new hair piece, furry britches, an ab pieice, a bra, and two weapons. BA Skeletor got a new armor piece, and three interchangeable plates.

All Evil Lyn got was a new head. And in point of fact, isn't it just a hair piece? It's not an entirely new head, correct? She reuses the same head sculpt doesn't she? And she's reusing the same weapons. If that was the case, I'd rather they spent the money on the dress instead of the head.

I find it hard to believe they couldn't afford the budget for a new dress. This is the fourth time they've sold us that outfit. Evil Lyn so far has gotten the cheapest treatment of any figure I can think of, excluding maybe Keldor and the first two variants who were not part of the sub (Goddess and Zodak).

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Battleground Evil-Lyn looks great. She's exactly what I wanted, a mixture of 200X and Filmation IMO. This Hybrid version rocks! Great job, Mattel - especially the helmetless extra head looks awesome and makes this Lyn variant very special!

Thanks for the Info Pixel dan

time to canabalise my skirt off my 200x evil-lyn, see if i can add it to the BG evil-lyn

Pixel Dan since the outfit is obviously too late to adjust, don't you think giving her she-ra 2.0's boots, would at least set her a bit apart from Teela, Goddess and Yellow Lyn?

At least with boots from She-ra 2.0 she would have different foot wear combined with the paint application and new head mold, it would be a nice display figure. If they did this you wouldn't have four chicks with the same outfit....at least her boots would be unique and depending on paint application could go really well with her outfit.

The pieces of each character are pulled from a mold (boots, hands, female buck, head, armor, weapons. This is not one molded character, they have to be put together (ie reversed shoulders).

If production hasn't begun it is very simple for them to use the boots from She-ra 2.0 instead of Teela's boots.

Don't you guys want her to look a little different than Teela, Goddess and Yellow Lyn?

I am sick of that mold and sine the outfit would push her out of Q4, the boots are something we can ask for and possibly get. It would not push back production,if it pushed it to December I think people would be happy because November is pack full of too may characters to begin with. However like I said they pick the molds to put the figure together before production, so switching out the boot molds would not cause any delay and she would be released in November anyways.

I am all for changing up the look a bit with a different pair of boots. I am not sure why others would not want at least a little bit of variety with the Teela outfit. Changing the boots would make that variety, otherwise you just have four women with the same outfit and five women with the same boots.

Pretty sad.....

Quote Originally Posted by CicconeSC View Post
    I am all for changing up the look a bit with a different pair of boots. I am not sure why others would not want at least a little bit of variety with the Teela outfit. Changing the boots would make that variety, otherwise you just have four women with the same outfit and five women with the same boots.

Pretty sad.....
    I think the dress/leotard is the most strikingly "off" aspect to this particular Evil-Lyn. It's why everyone wanted this particular version of the character in the first place, rather than ask for the Filmation version which IS a repaint. 200X Evil-Lyn had the furry Teela boots in the 200X figure, so fans aren't as fussed over it.

I think this figure might have been designed as a placeholder like the low articulated Cringer was. She has a "Filmation" cape, fixes the problems that fans had with vintage Lyn AND gives fans a pale Lyn/200X Lyn all in once sitting.

Heroic Warrior
    I think Evil Lyn here is a good compromise between the different factions wanting a pale skinned figure of her in cartoon-esque colors, be it Filmation or 200X. What amazes me is that a few people are saying the Filmation Lyn is a repaint of what we already have which is not true. Nor is the cape a Filmation inspired one. I want both versions, 200X and Filmation, and BG Lyn is neither. She has more in common with 200X than people are admitting, especially in color choices. That's not to say she can't be done in a more accurate style later for both Cartoons as reference. I just think Filmation fans who want that version, speaking for myself here, are having that request minimized by people saying she would be a repaint when in fact she's no more of a repaint than 200X. So you want a true 200X EL figure and I want one also, but also a true Filmation EL figure. Until we get either one of those though, I think this one is a worthy place holder. I love the Yellow Lyn we have already but man oh man did people gripe when they didn't get a pale skinned Lyn. Now we have one and it's not styled just right...well no one is making you buy it. I'll buy yours if you don't want it.
    Good trades with: Cammor

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru
    Hey folks,

Totally not trying to be snub here, but it seems we go through this each year.

The figures shown at SDCC are final sculpts. There won't be any changes to them. While we have occasionally been able to make small paint changes (like adding purple to BA Skeletor's feet) any sculpt change is not possible.

In regard specifically to BG Evil Lyn (who seems to have gotten the lion's share of change requests) let me see if I can clarify.

We actually costed out a new tunic outfit for her. It was the Horsemen who wanted from a design stand point (I presume to keep the "Classics look") to go with a repaint of the "Teela tunic". I've mentioned before, we don't art direct the Horsemen in this way. Her look is the artistic choice of the Horsemen.

And for the Sorceress who also has a lot of change requests; her paint scheme was designed by the Horsemen. I asked them and design about this (vs. the more Filmation orange inside color fans are asking about) and they felt strongly that this look worked better for a figure (vs. a drawn cartoon) and are really happy with the way she worked out. This is also the request for a new"Spell casting hand" or to use Catra's hand for Sorceress. She was designed by the Horsemen as is and that is how they and design want to go.

Hope this helps clarify. While you can't please everyone all the time, I think Terry and the Four Horsemen have done a bang up job on each and every upcoming figure. In particular I can't wait for Fisto and Kahn. Two figures I had as a kid and really enjoyed!

Scott
    There's your answer regarding how/why BG Evil Lyn is the way she is
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think it is kind of funny that Battleground Teela, also an A-list variant with the same NAME, has NINE new tools (hair, two piece outfit, gun, sword, thighs and torso) and Evil-Lyn only has a new head and cape...

Anyway, so Mattel can't play the "hyper anime detail is retired" card, I made an image of MYP Evil-Lyn, Faceless One and Draego-Man to compare...

MYP Evil-Lyn shares the following with the Faceless One MOTUC:

Pink - the neck collar fins
    Yellow - the bone chest detailing
    Red - the belt design
    Green - the skirt sculpt
    Not highlighted - her skirt matches her father's cape (the shape at the bottom, colour and both reach the floor)

MYP Evil-Lyn has very similar styled bracelets (but actually LESS detailed) as Draego-Man!:

Blue - both have "finned" bracelets. Evil-Lyn only had two fins though and no snakeskin pattern.

EDIT: I just saw what Kowl posted. I 100% do not believe the Four Horsemen wanted to give us a mere repaint of Evil-Lyn. That answer doesn't even make sense! They wanted to make her a repaint from a design standpoint to stay inline with the Classics look? Evil-Lyn doesn't match her father (who has the same details) and on the FourHorsemen's creation, they gave him bracelets like MYP Evil-Lyn had. I'm not buying this answer at all! It's more like most of the tooling money went to all the figures we saw at SDCC and because they spent SO much money, Evil-Lyn got the cutbacks to make her as bare minimum as possible. THAT would make sense.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 27, 2011 at 01:45am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Ah well, I guess that's that? Apart from the head she's so different I didn't think she could possibly be meant as 200x Lyn...I guess I was way off. A strange design choice...

But, she's still awesome. Love the new head!

I also have a hard time believing this due to the fact that the 4H made the 200X Lyn design.

They easily could have made the 200X design match the Classics type of look. Just changing some of the structure regarding her outfit would not have made Evil Lyn out of place in the line.

If they created her 200X look, why pass on the tooling money to not make a tunic that resembled this?

Was it a choice as in you can have a new tunic for Evil Lyn but we will have to pass on the tooling for so and so?

I am satisfied with the Sorceress, but feel bad for those who wanted a 200X Lyn and were ignored. Especially if they truly had the option for a new tunic and decided to use the same outfit that has been overused in this line.

I am sure the 4H were very aware that fans were tired of the Teela outfit, way before they chose to make BG Evil Lyn. If the 4H really did pass on the new tunic by choice and not because of some threat of losing tooling costs on another figure. That was a poor choice on the 4H men's part, especially with the backlash of constant reuse of Teela's armor.

If this statement is true from TG and the 4H passed on making the tunic, they deserve the backlash from the fans wanting a 200X figure. They actually deserve the backlash just due to the fact they reused Teela's outfit after people expressed in 2010 how irritated they were with the same exact outfits on Lyn, Teela and Goddess. Why if you have the tooling money for a new outfit, would you go and use an outfit that had people upset in the past with the first Evil Lyn?
    Last edited by CicconeSC; July 27, 2011 at 02:24am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

if they gave them the green light to do 200x and skipped her then the 4H have lost my respect

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    We actually costed out a new tunic outfit for her. It was the Horsemen who wanted from a design stand point (I presume to keep the "Classics look") to go with a repaint of the "Teela tunic". I've mentioned before, we don't art direct the Horsemen in this way. Her look is the artistic choice of the Horsemen.
    They are wrong!!

I have no reason to doubt Toyguru when he says the 4H made this decision. They are also the ones who put that stupid dial on Hurricane Hordak's back.

The 4H need to go back and redo Evil Lyn for a third time now. Unbelievable that the 4H would rather we pay for the same Teela outfit again for the fourth time instead of giving us something unique.

I read that and before I knew I had uttered a four letter expletive. Un-*******-believable.

GO BACK AND DO IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT!!