Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The great, I do not beleive in MOTUC conspiracies, Thread

Heroic Warrior

The great, I do not beleive in MOTUC conspiracies, Thread

It has been fun collecting this line. I love getting a new figure in the mail each month and look forward to seeing what is still to come.

I do not buy into the ideal that an evil power called Matty/Mattel/Toy-guru or what have you, exists. I do not believe there is a bunch of conspiracies to some how defraud the fans or spur artificial sales. I guess I am one of the many who just loves this line and enjoys the figures even with some of the flaws,

Black Plastic Gate
    Missing Paint app Gate
    Reversed Shoulder Gate
    Increased Sale by lying Gate
    Sold Out Gate
    And all the other Gates may have a small nugget of truth but they are not what people are making out of them.

We are in the home stretch, one more year to go and even with all the problems this is a great toy line. We need everyone support to make 2015 the best year ever. So like I said, I do not believe there are all those grand conspiracies. I mean come on, if the CIA couldn't keep their activities from leaking how can Mattel keep all those supposed conspiracies a secret?

Just my simple opinion. Hugs Samantha

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Umm... What the?
    Listen, I think there is far too much complaining about what hs been a great line. Never the less, there have been mistakes made, and only by recognizing and confronting them can we expect it to be fixed. Yes it is far too negative, but on the other hand, without the outcry about King Hiss I doubt we would be getting the 200x version.

I don't blame Scott, but I am frustrated with Mattel's marketing of what should be a huge property on par or greater than Transformers.
    Last edited by Zodak's new shoes; August 15, 2014 at 09:35am.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    I am frustrated with Mattel's marketing of what should be a huge property on par or greater than Transformers.
    Not to derail the thread, but slow down. Transformers-while mainly centering on Optimus-has been far less reliant on a single character than MOTU has been. TF has been able to persevere for so long by reinventing itself. MOTU just doesn't lend itself to that.

As for the OP, I think that some of the issues have more truth to them than others. When you see people focusing only on the negatives, it can be a bummer (not to mention a self-fulfilling prophecy), but you there is a lot that simply can't be ignored.

Any line that has lasted as long as this one is going to undergo it's share of issues that will be spun into conspiracies by some.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but slow down. Transformers-while mainly centering on Optimus-has been far less reliant on a single character than MOTU has been. TF has been able to persevere for so long by reinventing itself. MOTU just doesn't lend itself to that.
    Disagree, TF (to me) seems to mostly refresh the same story over and over, MOTU by it's design has the foundations to be waaaay more of an epic IF the protperty owners (and fanbase) let it. I JUST can't find a story about robots very epic. esp since they keep retelling it in slightly different ways.

As for the OP, I think that some of the issues have more truth to them than others. When you see people focusing only on the negatives, it can be a bummer (not to mention a self-fulfilling prophecy), but you there is a lot that simply can't be ignored.

Any line that has lasted as long as this one is going to undergo it's share of issues that will be spun into conspiracies by some.
    well a conspiracy is essentially the result of the efforts of those who conspire to an end. Mattel collectively conspired to save money (black plastic, missing paint) and create a demand (false sellouts) mistakes like reversed shoulders I can't believe are conspiracies, that is just incompetence. a few figures that have errors are regular mistakes in any manufactured product, but a whole wave is incompetence.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    well a conspiracy is essentially the result of the efforts of those who conspire to an end. Mattel collectively conspired to save money (black plastic, missing paint) and create a demand (false sellouts) mistakes like reversed shoulders I can't believe are conspiracies, that is just incompetence. a few figures that have errors are regular mistakes in any manufactured product, but a whole wave is incompetence.
    Well yeah, if you want to get all technical about it . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by samantha View Post
    It has been fun collecting this line. I love getting a new figure in the mail each month and look forward to seeing what is still to come.

I do not buy into the ideal that an evil power called Matty/Mattel/Toy-guru or what have you, exists. I do not believe there is a bunch of conspiracies to some how defraud the fans or spur artificial sales. I guess I am one of the many who just loves this line and enjoys the figures even with some of the flaws,
    It's only as evil as standard corporate greed, but yeah - I'm still with you. I'm having too much fun to complain on that level.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Heroic Warrior
    I guess what I am trying to say is I do not feel there really are all the conspiracies that people are make them out to be. Mattel, as a company, would do more harm to themselves if a small line like MOTUC was suddenly discovered to have been playing games like the conspiracy people want us to believe. The PR storm alone would create an avalanche of terminations and black balling of employes the likes of which have not been seen in the toy industry before. I am not sure any one would do something as stupid as to risk their jobs to just manipulate fans. Just like we have heard many times before, the MOTUC line really is just a way for Mattel to show it's die hard fans that they do care about us.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The great, I do not beleive in MOTUC conspiracies, Thread
    There's an 'e' before the 'i' in 'beleive'! It's a conspiracy!

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Disagree, TF (to me) seems to mostly refresh the same story over and over, MOTU by it's design has the foundations to be waaaay more of an epic IF the protperty owners (and fanbase) let it. I JUST can't find a story about robots very epic. esp since they keep retelling it in slightly different ways.
    Sorry, k-man. Transformers rule.

Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; August 15, 2014 at 12:34pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I guess what I am trying to say is I do not feel there really are all the conspiracies that people are make them out to be. Mattel, as a company, would do more harm to themselves if a small line like MOTUC was suddenly discovered to have been playing games like the conspiracy people want us to believe. The PR storm alone would create an avalanche of terminations and black balling of employes the likes of which have not been seen in the toy industry before. I am not sure any one would do something as stupid as to risk their jobs to just manipulate fans. Just like we have heard many times before, the MOTUC line really is just a way for Mattel to show it's die hard fans that they do care about us.
    This is the simple truth right here. Any small boost in sales due to unethical practices would not be worth the legal storm that would come down on Mattel.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    There are no conspiracies. There are genuine concerns on some of the ways this line has been managed. The only folks that feel these are conspiracies are folks like the OP that have drunk the cool aid and believe everything is hunky dory with the line!!!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I do not buy into the ideal that an evil power called Matty/Mattel/Toy-guru or what have you, exists.
    Well if none of them exist, then who the hell are we getting our figures from?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    You know what would have been a fun thread. Post about your favorite conspiracy theory. But be a little more specific. Like, the new the held-Faker's-back-so-they-could-drum-up-sales-for-NA-Skeletor-by-utilizing-the-extra-head (or however that one worked out). I don't know why I put hyphens in there. I got carried away, but it's too late to turn back now!

Or the vacation trip that made thousands of fans not sub up for DCUC. That's good stuff.

Geoblocking!

A lot of things in the OP aren't clarified. It seems like you're saying stuff like "reversed shoulders" are a conspiracy. When I guess we're talking about Scott saying that the Mattel design team did this intentionally, just like the forearms. That one does seem like a mistake though.

Some are better than others. I'm not above extruding insider info about our hobby. It's this kind of information that makes geeking out fun. Otherwise it's just… "yeah, He-man was released as the first figure, but KG came first as an SDCC exclusive, and blah blah blah" stuff everybody knows. Those be some lames arguments.

People like to talk. Most of the time it's making light of the situation by formulating stories to make it obviously sensationalized. Then somebody gets overly involved and starts believing it a little too much. Some of these are super possible, but getting worked up about it is less than useful. Can still be fun. You just can't get worked up about people getting worked up about nothing. What's that going to do for you?
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

I also don't think there are any conspiracy theories.

But I would say that... because...

I AM TOYGURU!
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jeevesosiris View Post
    i also don't think there are any conspiracy theories.

But i would say that... Because...

I am toyguru!
    i knew it!

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    There are no conspiracies. There are genuine concerns on some of the ways this line has been managed. The only folks that feel these are conspiracies are folks like the OP that have drunk the cool aid and believe everything is hunky dory with the line!!!
    You've hit the nail on the head!
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    "No conspiracies", only "genuine concers"? Really? While it's true there have been quite a few of the latter ("Blasticgate", reversed shoulders, maybe even the "fat armor syndrome"), I long gave up on counting all the "'They' (wether "they" pertained to Mattel as a whole, Toyguru personally, the Rothschildts or our secret reptilian Overlords) WANT this line to fail"-posts accompanying every ever so slight blunder in this line...

And for the record: I also do not believe in Mattel screwing their customers over more than any other major international corporation. Especially not to "prove a point", to spite their customers or simply for the heck of it.
    Every thread about every MotUC-reveal, ever...

The Sword of Spector - forged in the scorching flames of nerdrage and tempered by the woeful tears of the butthurt

Heroic Warrior
    There are no conspiracies? Nice of you to list FACTS.

"Black Plastic Gate
    Missing Paint app Gate
    Reversed Shoulder Gate
    Increased Sale by lying Gate
    Sold Out Gate"
    And all the other Gates may have a small nugget of truth but they are not what people are making out of them. "

Small nuggets of truth?

I bet you are the type of person who buys 1995 Firestone Tires for their Ford Explorer and enjoys the ride, until the conspiracy theories come out that they tread rips off and kills people. But, hey, it didn't happen to you and the Explorer is a great ride - even if some people supposedly die while driving it. I mean, I have not seen it, and you can't believe the "news" or what those people say, it's probably all made up. I mean the good people of Ford wouldn't let dying customers get in the way of profit, now, would they?

Oh, don't forget these other Conspiracy Theories.

Scott Neitlich claims that Castle Grayskulls have less than 900 - does not know about the "Secret quantity backdoor trick on Matty". Backtracks and fixes "bug" in record time of two days. Conspiracy because he gets caught lying/marketing quantity AND because it proves he has ability to have problems on site fixes when at affects HIM - after ignoring numerous other "bugs" for years.

GEO-BLOCK gate. Where International fans and customers were unable to purchase figures on Cyber Monday.

Scott Nietlich: "If you recall, Spector sold out first by days. And no, that was not rigged. That was real time sales results." Spector-Gate"?

Scott Nietlich: "When it comes to character selection, all my efforts go into making things happen. (or at least trying to!) I'll be a bit bold here. We couldn't do Photog. I was the one who cold called Nathan and made it happen." Photog-Gate? (Originally gave no credit to a fan who provided him with contact information and background).

I could write many, many more sentences. I won't. When someone does not tell the truth, or figures have flaws, please do not call it a conspiracy and put your head in the sand.

The conspiracy theory about Firestone tires would be that Firestone intentionally made them so they exploded, ot that they just halfassed it.

Understand, I don't consider "This thing was done badly" to be a conspiracy theory. I consider "Mattel has lied about quantity and subscritions from the beginning. They will produce He-Man even if nobody subscribes, the meter is completely made up, and He-Man is their most profitable line, but they lie about it!"

Because, as previously mentioned, lies like that actually violate the law in hilariously silly easy-to-find-out ways, and not even a bad business would do something that stupid. Y'know, risking huge amounts for small bits of profit.

Sure, Mattel screws stuff up. I don't have my NA Skeletor yet, but I'm still angry about his torso. And the less said about Filmation Hordak, the better. Photog had atrocious quality control, Snout SPout was a disaster, Green Goddess has crotch issues...

But apparently, my belief that Mattel is sloppy but not part of a grand multinational scheme makes me "Drinking the Kool-Aid," and thus I should be forced to shut up, or something

Yeah, I don't want this line to be remotely similar to Transofmers...
    Maybe TF Masterpieces, but other than those, dozens of Bumblebees and Optimus... no thanks!!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Eh. I don't like this thread. Mattel, like any capitalist business, does its share of cost-cutting, spin control, and double-speak. Attacking the people who point that out is....unnecessary.

No, Scott is not evil. But he's not your buddy, either.

As Neitzsche said, the wolf does not hate the sheep. In fact, he thinks he's delicious!
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Eh. I don't like this thread. Mattel, like any capitalist business, does its share of cost-cutting, spin control, and double-speak. Attacking the people who point that out is....unnecessary.

No, Scott is not evil. But he's not your buddy, either.

As Neitzsche said, the wolf does not hate the sheep. In fact, he thinks he's delicious!
    But is it okay to attack the people who don't fall into that line of reasoning? Based on this and another thread, I drink kool-aid, believe in leprechauns, and am an ignorant fool. But that's not insulting, apparently - saying "I don't believe in conspiracy theories" is insulting to people who do, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    But is it okay to attack the people who don't fall into that line of reasoning? Based on this and another thread, I drink kool-aid, believe in leprechauns, and am an ignorant fool. But that's not insulting, apparently - saying "I don't believe in conspiracy theories" is insulting to people who do, though.
    I'm not going to get into the middle of squabbling. Of course, we could all be more polite.

But the point of this thread was nothing more than to attack a large portion, maybe even the majority, of MOTU customers. If some of them were less than polite in response, well what would one expect?

I didn't get into the thread until just now because I demeed it (and still deme the main posts) silly. It's just the "there are never any conspiracy theories, only concerns"... heh.

there are never any conspiracy theories, only concerns
    And I agree with that. One person ly- er let's say spinning, does not a conspiracy make. I've only seen Orger bashers ever call anything a conspiracy.

My big beef is when, for a conspiracy to work, Mattel would have to break multiple laws in an easyto-prove way,risking tremendously for a tiny bit of profit. or when they do something that lowers sales and instead of it being a bad move, it's some sort of odd conspiracy...

...When the reality most likely is, they're just making bad decisions.

My big beef is when, for a conspiracy to work, Mattel would have to break multiple laws in an easyto-prove way,risking tremendously for a tiny bit of profit. or when they do something that lowers sales and instead of it being a bad move, it's some sort of odd conspiracy...

...When the reality most likely is, they're just making bad decisions.
    But - what conspiracy? You're being so vague. Mattel does play games, we'll all seen them do it. Is everything they say a lie? No. Are they evil? No. But they do from time to time do dodgy things. That doesn't require that anyone use the term, "Conspiracy." You only see that term used on this board to ridicule those who are critical of certain things Mattel does.