Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Emiliano know it all along??

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Emiliano is unfortunately not given the respect he is due. If he was, he would be intimately involved in the design and execution of the MOTUC line. Sad to see such a talented and passionate individual relegated to the sidelines. And the really sad part is that this story of his sidelining has a new twist where behind the scenes things are much more dire than we are allowed to speak of publicly on this website. My thoughts go out to Emiliano as it must be painful to put so much of your heart into this brand and then be treated like a pariah.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    ...check the MOTUC Index near the bottom of the first post for a complete list!
    I've put a direct link to Emiliano's album in the first post. This should help.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    Emiliano is a brilliant and a very talented concept artist no doubt and I love what he did here especially with the clear stand idea, however Madame Razz and its broom are still too Disney looking for MOTUC, and a lot of the Filmation characters are like that as well IMO, and if you're a vintage/200X comic fan like me including MYP, I believe it's hard to digest the Filmation look into this line... Most likely I'll keep collecting everything to the very end, but I won't display those cartoony characters with the rest of the line no matter how cool they are...
    Well, don't you think that the 4H can translate them in a way where they fit with the rest of the line. They can certainly tone down the cartooniness, which is what I think they will do, making Filmation characters that look Filmation but do not clash drastically with the rest of the line.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Emiliano is unfortunately not given the respect he is due. If he was, he would be intimately involved in the design and execution of the MOTUC line. Sad to see such a talented and passionate individual relegated to the sidelines. And the really sad part is that this story of his sidelining has a new twist where behind the scenes things are much more dire than we are allowed to speak of publicly on this website. My thoughts go out to Emiliano as it must be painful to put so much of your heart into this brand and then be treated like a pariah.
    It is rumoured that a certain brand manager's public untruths and attempt to take credit for stages in the creation process have left a very bitter taste in the mouths of those sculptors, designers and developers who have been with MOTUC since its concept.

It is rumoured that core designers and sculptors have been removed from some projects because they are perceived as "names" and for monetary purposes, with in-house teams producing much more MOTUC sculpt and design than previously undertaken - or admitted to.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post
    It is rumoured that a certain brand manager's public untruths and attempt to take credit for stages in the creation process have left a very bitter taste in the mouths of those sculptors, designers and developers who have been with MOTUC since its concept.

It is rumoured that core designers and sculptors have been removed from some projects because they are perceived as "names" and for monetary purposes, with in-house teams producing much more MOTUC sculpt and design than previously undertaken - or admitted to.
    It's also rumored that without demonstrable evidence, all rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post

Proof?

I know some things seem obvious fro reading the blogs, and other statements, but when a denial comes from the sources mouth...ie...the 4H, the rumors are dead...

And the 4H are still very much involved as the only sculptors for MOTUC....now as far as jacking the sculpts up, like Stinkor....Mattel is very much involved, and at fault for that one, and we know that another designer / engineer....whatever you want to call him (not Terry, but another guy) is responsible for screwing up Stinkor, and for all I know screwing up the armor on Vykron....horribly mind you.

As far as Scott taking credit, that seems to be Scott, and how many in management do you know that take credit for others ideas? Not a foreign concept in business you know, thing is with all the interaction between Mattel and fans with these lines....we know the real truth no matter what Scott says, because it comes out one way or another.

So soon we will see what of these rumors are true and not, but without proof, there is no truth.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Rumors are not facts and anyone who posts claims without actual proof is getting very close to libel. Please keep the personal accusations to yourselves because they won't solve anything when posted here. Sometimes things can and do happen behind the scenes that are upsetting for those involved. But if someone has an actual legitimate claim against Mattel that involves a personal injustice then they should take that up with Mattel directly in order to seek a solution. Thanks!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    I accept that what I said is not in the spirit of the forum, though it does refer to a discomfort many feel with how long standing and respected forum members have been disregarded by others in the fan and commercial community as a whole.

I hope to continue contributing to he-man.org more positively in future.
    Last edited by Gragar; June 7, 2012 at 09:44am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Twenty years from now, we'll know the whole story from a slew of tell-all books, each relating a totally different take on the same events, and we can all pick whichever one of the conflicting and totally contradictory versions we want to believe. Isn't that the way it usually works?

Back on subject, most of Emilaino's designs have proven to be very much in line with what we eventually see from the Fab Four, likely because they are all very talented and very competent toy designers. It's obvious they all understand not just the artistry, but also the technical end of making a workable action figure, so it's not surprising that they tend to mirror each other in their work. I wouldn't be surprised to see something not all that different from the picture above for Madame Razz when and if we get her as a figure.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Twenty years from now, we'll know the whole story from a slew of tell-all books, each relating a totally different take on the same events, and we can all pick whichever one of the conflicting and totally contradictory versions we want to believe. Isn't that the way it usually works?

Back on subject, most of Emilaino's designs have proven to be very much in line with what we eventually see from the Fab Four, likely because they are all very talented and very competent toy designers. It's obvious they all understand not just the artistry, but also the technical end of making a workable action figure, so it's not surprising that they tend to mirror each other in their work. I wouldn't be surprised to see something not all that different from the picture above for Madame Razz when and if we get her as a figure.
    Not being an expert on toy design myself, I would imagine that there are only so many ways to design an action figure that does what you want it to do. That's not to knock anyone's talent, for everyone in question is clearly talented. I'm just saying that they track together because they understand fundamental design principles and how to make the most of them.

To some extent, but there's more to it than simple function. It's a blending of that function and the aesthetic. The best example of that I can think of is the design of the shoulder joint for the DCUC figures. It's not obvious on the male figures right off how brilliant the chest design is. The way the shoulder hole actually follows the pectoral musculature not only looks good, but also increases the functionality of the joint. I realized with the Green Lantern figure that the arms can actually move forward and then inward to the point that you can have Hal hold his ring hand wrist with his left hand in the "freeze,punk!" pose. The Fab Four are thus able to do with a simple yet aesthetically pleasing jog in the sculpt what took the Marvel Legends figures a complicated and unsightly joint to accomplish. That's the kind of thing I see in both their and Emiliano's designs that go beyond what we normally see.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

MOTUC has lasted longer than any 'Masters' line since the original vintage toys, thanks partly to the innovations in sales not without their wrinkles - that online marketplace selling has brought.

Brand management through to sales and marketing have been well paced and have maybe had to consolidate ideas from the history of Mattel to create a property that I think does try to please all fans.

Every major figure in the fan community knows their value to the fans - from TG right through to Emiliano - and things have not become as cutthroat as they might have been given the economic climate.

Respect is key and if we all share an openness with each other without negativity or axes-to-grind we can only make MOTU stronger and more popular.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    these are so awesome. I want general tartaran even more now.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    MOTUC has lasted longer than any 'Masters' line since the original vintage toys, thanks partly to the innovations in sales not without their wrinkles - that online marketplace selling has brought.
    I think sometimes we forget that behind the unmitigated catastrophe that is Mattycollector and Digital River was a sound and innovative idea; others had tried something like it before, but MOTUC was the first line really started on a collectors website (Hasbro tried it with continuations of defunct retail lines). Mattel was intent on tapping a market they hadn't really reached well directly; it was really a good idea, and the initial result was success. MOTUC took off better than I think anyone expected. It was only when DR had to start actually handling the website and we saw the fact that they couldn't even come close that problems began. The idea of Mattycollector was a very good one, both in concept and in its target; it was, as is usually the case from Mattel, the utterly inept execution of the plan that collapsed like a house of cards on the San Andreas fault.

In a nutshell:
    Mattycollector: good idea!
    Letting DR anywhere near the site: worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    I think sometimes we forget that behind the unmitigated catastrophe that is Mattycollector and Digital River was a sound and innovative idea; others had tried something like it before, but MOTUC was the first line really started on a collectors website (Hasbro tried it with continuations of defunct retail lines). Mattel was intent on tapping a market they hadn't really reached well directly; it was really a good idea, and the initial result was success. MOTUC took off better than I think anyone expected. It was only when DR had to start actually handling the website and we saw the fact that they couldn't even come close that problems began. The idea of Mattycollector was a very good one, both in concept and in its target; it was, as is usually the case from Mattel, the utterly inept execution of the plan that collapsed like a house of cards on the San Andreas fault.

In a nutshell:
    Mattycollector: good idea!
    Letting DR anywhere near the site: worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Check out Emilliano's blog
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 13, 2012 at 07:55pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Do you display Orko?
    Personally?...NO I dont display Orko or the cat that came with Marlena
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Emiliano has some really cool designs, but there are threads about them in the Fan-Art section. Please keep the discussion about individual designs to those threads.

Here are some example of threads you can participate in to discuss his individual works!

Filmation Hordak-
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...lmation-Hordak

Madame Razz & Broom-
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Razz-amp-Broom

Why not just move the entire thread then?

Something doesn't seem right.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Why not just move the entire thread then?
    This thread was created to talk about Emiliano's artwork being close to the designs of some actual figures. It then started to turn into a general discussion about his individual works of art. Those discussions already exist in the Fan Art forum. Check them out! He's got some great stuff posted.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This thread was created to talk about Emiliano's artwork being close to the designs of some actual figures. It then started to turn into a general discussion about his individual works of art. Those discussions already exist in the Fan Art forum. Check them out! He's got some great stuff posted.
    With all respect inteded to you Firefly, there is no CLOSE in his work- they are EXACT! True though that more specific talk about his art in general should be in fanart.

Heroic Warrior
    There is proof... and there is what people believe based on the obvious combined with common sense. Proof is very usefull in the court of law, so there is no need for it unless we are trying to hang said individual(s). A persons freedom to express examples or theories of another persons "dirty deeds" is NORMALLY acceptable. However, since we are not the owners of this proverbial "writing tablet", we will have to take our pencils and either write on our own paper, or simply put the pencils away,

Libel: A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation... LOL, you can't break a broken toy.

I cannot believe how close the artist's drawings of some of these characters are to the actual MOTUC product. I too wonder if the artist worked for the design team. Pretty neat.

I could easily see this being what Rotar and Twistoid may look like:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...r-amp-Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Boomer Sooner!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    This is how I want Rotar & Twistoid to be treated.

Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by tkjaer21 View Post
    I cannot believe how close the artist's drawings of some of these characters are to the actual MOTUC product. I too wonder if the artist worked for the design team. Pretty neat.

I could easily see this being what Rotar and Twistoid may look like:

I'm not sure it's tooo crazy they are the same considering it's basically the same Filmation character being treated as a Classics character so there's not a lot of unique toy design needed there. But, there are things in Emiliano's drawing I do wish they'd have used - I like the way his cape curls there, and I REALLY was hoping for that stand! That would have been cool.

I do still love the Rotar/Twistoid designs with the swap-out legs, though I like the way Iceman recolored them so Rotar didn't seem to have a white diaper on.