Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Defender of Grayskull"

"Defender of Grayskull"

Good morning fellow Eternia fans!

I've finally put the finishing touches on a piece of long-overdue fan art, "Defender of Grayskull", and I wanted to share it with a community that has the same fondness and nostalgia for He-Man and his cast of enemies as I do.

Masters of the Universe has been one of my favorite settings since I was just a doodling tot. One of my fondest memories was unwrapping a Tri Klops action figure one Christmas (and arguing with my brother over whether he was superior to Trapjaw). It's no surprise that one of the first pieces of digital art I tinkered with years ago was a basic bit of illustration featuring He-Man and Skeletor, though I never quite considered it 'done.' I posted it up here quite some time ago, though I don't believe it survived the site's transition.

Now, years later, I decided to take another stab at depicting some of my favorite boyhood action heroes and villains. Defender of Grayskull features He-Man and the Sorceress (in eagle form) taking on a horde of Skeletor's toughest minions near the gate of the mythic castle Grayskull.

I decided to include a few of the more obscure He-Man villains in the piece (like Strongarm and Goat Man) as they don't often show up in much art. I tried to keep the spirit of each character intact while updating their overall designs and level of detail, so each should be easily recognizable despite some changes. I also decided to leave He-Man on his own this time out, absent any allies except Zoar---he is, after all, "the most powerful man in the universe" and worthy of the challenge.

I hope you enjoy this labor of love!

Defender of Grayskull Large.jpg
    Last edited by RyanBarger; January 22, 2016 at 10:39pm. Reason: Updated to full size image!

Heroic Warrior
    WOW!!!! When i saw your drawing i remained speechless for a couple of minutes! Incredible Artwork my friend!!! You captured the Epic Fantasy and Sword and Sorcery feeling of MOTU perfectly! This would make an amazing movie poster! This is MOTU in all its Barbarian Glory!!! I love the way that you depicted He-Man! More mature with long hair and beard! Always said that He-Man with long hair is the Ultimate Badass! For this reason i disliked Filmation's haircut and general appearance! The battle scar above the eye was also a very nice detail!

Once again well done and congratulations for this fantastic piece! Hoping for more in the future (i can't even immagine how badass your Battle Cat would look)! Long live the Defender of Grayskull!!
    Last edited by granamyr80; January 18, 2016 at 12:52pm.

Totally Dyslexic
    Amazing picture.

Very detailed. Webstors extra arms are horrifying to me as i really canīt stand spiders!

Thanks for sharing such an amazing piece of MOTU art.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

This is really, really professional. I love it.
    Check out my Grayskull Brewing Company designs and more at:
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/jarkkokarkko

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    What a wonderful piece of art!!! Absolutely stunning!!!
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    WOW!!!! When i saw your drawing i remained speechless for a couple of minutes! Incredible Artwork my friend!!! You captured the Epic Fantasy and Sword and Sorcery feeling of MOTU perfectly! This would make an amazing movie poster! This is MOTU in all its Barbarian Glory!!! I love the way that you depicted He-Man! More mature with long hair and beard! Always said that He-Man with long hair is the Ultimate Badass! For this reason i disliked Filmation's haircut and general appearance! The battle scar above the eye was also a very nice detail!

Once again well done and congratulations for this fantastic piece! Hoping for more in the future (i can't even immagine how badass your Battle Cat would look)! Long live the Defender of Grayskull!!
    Thanks Granamyr! A total loss of vocabulary is about the highest compliment an illustration can get, so I know I came to the right place with this one!

Your thoughts on He-Man mirror my own. 90% of the reason I decided to tackle this illustration in the first place is because the big brute generally doesn't come off as very tough or interesting in most media. Put another way, in a universe full of exotic, badass creatures and characters, I've always felt that the star of the show had the least impressive design. He's basically just a musclebound dude in a fur bikini and a prince Valiant hairdo. So I decided to take him (along with my favorite villains) and give him some rougher edges. For anyone who might be curious about the design choices I made on him and the others, here's a few thoughts:

1. He-Man: Though he's a paragon of justice, power and nobility, nothing says he can't look like a barbaric ass-kicker! Though he retains his core design concepts (the power sword is relatively unchanged, he's blonde and huge, sports a loincloth and a variation of his classic iron cross symbol) I doubled down on the savage warrior aspect. Scars, braided hair, scruffy beard, bone ornaments, more rugged features and so forth. I also love that one of the coolest aspects of Eternia is that fantastic technology walks hand in hand with swords and magic, so I added some wires, cables and other bits of sci-fi embellishment including a blaster pistol on his hip. I would have LOVED to be able to fit Battle Cat in there as you imagined, but for obvious reasons he didn't make the cut----maybe when I get around to the inevitable carpal-tunnel inducing mural featuring all-out war between the good guys and bad!

2. Skeletor: Don't fix what isn't broken! I didn't change much about ol' Keldor other than darkening him up, making him a bit scarier, and adding a bit of technology around his collar---perhaps some kind of bionic 'cowl' to shore up the area where his throat was dissolved?

3. Zoar/Sorceress: Not much to this either; I based her on a falcon I like and used an amalgamation of the various plumage patterns she's had in different media.

4. Trapjaw: Though I understand why the evil minions were always dumbed down and presented as bumbling goofballs in the cartoons, that's never been my favorite depiction. Even as a kid I always preferred the minicomics, and nowhere is that truer than with Trapjaw. In the minicomic he's a cunning, dangerous and ruthless fugitive criminal from another dimension, and is presented as a serious threat even before he taps into the power of Grayskull. I always envision him as one of Skeletor's truly lethal assets and a bit of an outsider, only employed when the need is great (and probably at great cost to Skeletor as well). In honor of that, I used his minicomic design and color scheme and kept it pretty much intact.

5. Evil-Lyn: Another example of a concept that didn't need much embellishment. I borrowed her 200x headdress because it's so perfectly designed, and made her costume a bit more skimpy, sinister and savage as befitting a sorceress among barbarians and monsters. But she retains her core 'ram horn' ornaments, imperious posture, skin tone and magic staff.

6. Webstor: Other than making his features more arachnoid (is that a word?) with more pronounced mouthparts and more eyes, not much changed about Raknus. His body plan is a mix of the classic toy (with a more humanoid head and figure) and the newer update (those extra fuzzy limbs Niki is so horrified of ).

7. Beastman: I tossed in a few extra bone fetishes and animal skulls, but the big orange guy is basically unchanged. My only regret here is I didn't get to show his painted face.

8. Goat Man: He always struck me as a basically cool creature design but with some confusing color arrangements. Instead of giving him red garments/armor where the action figure had them, I just changed it all to dark maroon fur to sync up with his hideous head and face.

9. Strongarm: One of my favorites!! Another guy I wish I could have given a bigger chunk of the spotlight. Other than extra detailing (rivets, bolts, seams) his awesome helmet and bionic limb remain unchanged. Since it's always been kind of ambiguous whether the orange was skin or a suit of some kind, I went with a kind of bodysuit approach full of wires and tech---it fit his overall concept and adds to his mystique (I imagine, other than his pointed ears, it would be easy to mistake him for a robot).

10. Tri Klops: My personal favorite among the evil warriors. I went with a heavy mix of the 200x version (lots of cables, technology and robotics) and a bit of the minicomics version (his entire helmet/eye array being a single solid piece, and his classic minicomics sash with its green and red ovals). In my head canon, Tri Klops is another character whose minicomics presentation always seemed WAY cooler than how he was presented elsewhere, in the sense that he was depicted as a dangerous bounty hunter who was very nearly the equal of He-Man himself. Not only did he trounce He-Man's allies with ease, but the combination of his superior swordsmanship, great strength, cunning strategies and myriad eye-beams made him nearly He-man's equal! I always thought of him as the "Boba Fett" of Eternia, using his spybeams and physical prowess to hunt worthy targets----a cooler approach, imo, than a mere inventor for Skeletor.

I hope you enjoyed a peek into my thought process on this piece, and I'm always happy to discuss varying interpretations of these great characters! Thanks again to everyone who replied for their very generous compliments!

Ryan Barger
    Last edited by RyanBarger; January 18, 2016 at 04:51pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Thanks Granamyr! A total loss of vocabulary is about the highest compliment an illustration can get, so I know I came to the right place with this one!

Your thoughts on He-Man mirror my own. 90% of the reason I decided to tackle this illustration in the first place is because the big brute generally doesn't come off as very tough or interesting in most media. Put another way, in a universe full of exotic, badass creatures and characters, I've always felt that the star of the show had the least impressive design. He's basically just a musclebound dude in a fur bikini and a prince Valiant hairdo. So I decided to take him (along with my favorite villains) and give him some rougher edges. For anyone who might be curious about the design choices I made on him and the others, here's a few thoughts:

1. He-Man: Though he's a paragon of justice, power and nobility, nothing says he can't look like a barbaric ass-kicker! Though he retains his core design concepts (the power sword is relatively unchanged, he's blonde and huge, sports a loincloth and a variation of his classic iron cross symbol) I doubled down on the savage warrior aspect. Scars, braided hair, scruffy beard, bone ornaments, more rugged features and so forth. I also love that one of the coolest aspects of Eternia is that fantastic technology walks hand in hand with swords and magic, so I added some wires, cables and other bits of sci-fi embellishment including a blaster pistol on his hip. I would have LOVED to be able to fit Battle Cat in there as you imagined, but for obvious reasons he didn't make the cut----maybe when I get around to the inevitable carpal-tunnel inducing mural featuring all-out war beyond the good guys and bad!

2. Skeletor: Don't fix what isn't broken! I didn't change much about ol' Keldor other than darkening him up, making him a bit scarier, and adding a bit of technology around his collar---perhaps some kind of bionic 'cowl' to shore up the area where his throat was dissolved?

3. Zoar/Sorceress: Not much to this either; I based her on a falcon I like and used an amalgamation of the various plumage patterns she's had in different media.

4. Trapjaw: Though I understand why the evil minions were always dumbed down and presented as bumbling goofballs in the cartoons, that's never been my favorite depiction. Even as a kid I always preferred the minicomics, and nowhere is that truer than with Trapjaw. In the minicomic he's a cunning, dangerous and ruthless fugitive criminal from another dimension, and is presented as a serious threat even before he taps into the power of Grayskull. I always envision him as one of Skeletor's truly lethal assets and a bit of an outsider, only employed when the need is great (and probably at great cost to Skeletor as well). In honor of that, I used his minicomic design and color scheme and kept it pretty much intact.

5. Evil-Lyn: Another example of a concept that didn't need much embellishment. I borrowed her 200x headdress because it's so perfectly designed, and made her costume a bit more skimpy, sinister and savage as befitting a sorceress among barbarians and monsters. But she retains her core 'ram horn' ornaments, imperious posture, skin tone and magic staff.

6. Webstor: Other than making his features more arachnoid (is that a word?) with more pronounced mouthparts and more eyes, not much changed about Raknus. His body plan is a mix of the classic toy (with a more humanoid head and figure) and the newer update (those extra fuzzy limbs Niki is so horrified of ).

7. Beastman: I tossed in a few extra bone fetishes and animal skulls, but the big orange guy is basically unchanged. My only regret here is I didn't get to show his painted face.

8. Goat Man: He always struck me as a basically cool creature design but with some confusing color arrangements. Instead of giving him red garments/armor where the action figure had them, I just changed it all to dark maroon fur to sync up with his hideous head and face.

9. Strongarm: One of my favorites!! Another guy I wish I could have given a bigger chunk of the spotlight. Other than extra detailing (rivets, bolts, seams) his awesome helmet and bionic limb remain unchanged. Since it's always been kind of ambiguous whether the orange was skin or a suit of some kind, I went with a kind of bodysuit approach full of wires and tech---it fit his overall concept and adds to his mystique (I imagine, other than his pointed ears, it would be easy to mistake him for a robot).

10. Tri Klops: My personal favorite among the evil warriors. I went with a heavy mix of the 200x version (lots of cables, technology and robotics) and a bit of the minicomics version (his entire helmet/eye array being a single solid piece, and his classic minicomics sash with its green and red ovals). In my head canon, Tri Klops is another character whose minicomics presentation always seemed WAY cooler than how he was presented elsewhere, in the sense that he was depicted as a dangerous bounty hunter who was very nearly the equal of He-Man himself. Not only did he trounce He-Man's allies with ease, but the combination of his superior swordsmanship, great strength, cunning strategies and myriad eye-beams made him nearly He-man's equal! I always thought of him as the "Boba Fett" of Eternia, using his spybeams and physical prowess to hunt worthy targets----a cooler approach, imo, than a mere inventor for Skeletor.

I hope you enjoyed a peek into my thought process on this piece, and I'm always happy to discuss varying interpretations of these great characters! Thanks again to everyone who replied for their very generous compliments!

Ryan Barger
    Thanks again for sharing your ideas! Really loved how they worked and translated so well in your artwork! And i agree completely with everything you said! This is the way that personally i apporoach MOTU as well. Once again well done! I really hope to see more of your awesome MOTU art in the future. I believe that your artwork captivates MOTU's High Fantasy world perfectly!

p.s. I liked very much that your Tri-Klops is a result of an amazing combination from different eras. His eyes for example is a great combination of the cybernetic ones from the 200X design and the more "mystical eye" aspect from the mini comics!

Also the tribal necklace on He-Man is a nice touch and a great nod to the barbarian/tribal origins of the character.
    Last edited by granamyr80; January 18, 2016 at 04:38pm.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas! Really loved how they worked and translated so well in your artwork! And i agree completely with everything you said! This is the way that personally i apporoach MOTU as well. Once again well done! I really hope to see more of your awesome MOTU art in the future. I believe that your artwork captivates MOTU's High Fantasy world perfectly!

p.s. I liked very much that your Tri-Klops is a result of an amazing combination from different eras. His eyes for example is a great combination of the cybernetic ones from the 200X design and the more "mystical eye" aspect from the mini comics!

Also the tribal necklace on He-Man is a nice touch and a great nod to the barbarian/tribal origins of the character.
    Thanks again! And good catch on Tri-Klops' peepers, I was definitely aiming for a hybrid version that gave a nod to both iterations of the character. I'm not sure if it's my own personal attachment to the character or not, but I always felt Tri-Klops didn't get enough credit. In my own 'head canon', I foresee this battle ending with a showdown between an exhausted He-Man and either Tri-Klops, Trapjaw or Evil-Lyn (perhaps all three, with Lyn staying just out of reach and angling for a decisive blow after Skeletor's best minions do their damage and end up on the pile at He-Man's feet). Would He-Man triumph alone, or perhaps a timely intervention by the Sorceress would be needed to turn the tide?

And yep, one of the best new inventions in the He-Man canon was the concept of a long lineage of different He-Men----it certainly goes a long way to explaining why he appears as a primitive brute in all eras. I felt the bone necklace was a good way to communicate that heritage.

Hey, a quick question for you fan art veterans: I added this image to the separate Fan Art gallery (the one with the alphabetic search) and though the front page of the site has a blurb about my addition, I can't actually find it when I search the art gallery. Am I doing something wrong?

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks again! And good catch on Tri-Klops' peepers, I was definitely aiming for a hybrid version that gave a nod to both iterations of the character. I'm not sure if it's my own personal attachment to the character or not, but I always felt Tri-Klops didn't get enough credit. In my own 'head canon', I foresee this battle ending with a showdown between an exhausted He-Man and either Tri-Klops, Trapjaw or Evil-Lyn (perhaps all three, with Lyn staying just out of reach and angling for a decisive blow after Skeletor's best minions do their damage and end up on the pile at He-Man's feet). Would He-Man triumph alone, or perhaps a timely intervention by the Sorceress would be needed to turn the tide?

And yep, one of the best new inventions in the He-Man canon was the concept of a long lineage of different He-Men----it certainly goes a long way to explaining why he appears as a primitive brute in all eras. I felt the bone necklace was a good way to communicate that heritage.
    You are very welcome! Without exaggerating, this is the one of the best MOTU artwork that i' ve ever seen!

I completely agree! Tri-Klops is a very dangerous foe to deal with. Always he strikes me as a better swordsman and more experienced warrior than He-Man. Added the deadly beams, and his abilities as inventor and tactician and trully becomes a deadly opponent!

You are very welcome! Without exaggerating, this is the one of the best MOTU artwork that i' ve ever seen!

I completely agree! Tri-Klops is a very dangerous foe to deal with. Always he strikes me as a better swordsman and more experienced warrior than He-Man. Added the deadly beams, and his abilities as inventor and tactician and trully becomes a deadly opponent!
    We're of one mind on that subject! It's always a pleasure to find another fervent Tri-Klops fan out there.

Totally Dyslexic
    Hey, a quick question for you fan art veterans: I added this image to the separate Fan Art gallery (the one with the alphabetic search) and though the front page of the site has a blurb about my addition, I can't actually find it when I search the art gallery. Am I doing something wrong?
    Oh, that was tricky…

I found you but i had to change the the little panel underneath were there are numbers… i guess itīs about pages or something i chose 20 and than the page reloaded. Than i hit the letter R again and than you were there as the forth name.

I hope my explanation made any sense to you.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Oh, that was tricky…

I found you but i had to change the the little panel underneath were there are numbers… i guess itīs about pages or something i chose 20 and than the page reloaded. Than i hit the letter R again and than you were there as the forth name.

I hope my explanation made any sense to you.
    Perfect explanation, thanks Niki. I did what you suggested and it worked like a charm. Good to know I didn't screw something up when I added it!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    really amazing...the level of details is impeccable.

the explanation of the artistic choices for every character is a nice and interesting addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    really amazing...the level of details is impeccable.

the explanation of the artistic choices for every character is a nice and interesting addition.
    Thanks Charlie, I'm glad you enjoyed the piece and my thoughts on it. Seems like there are enough different interpretations of these characters floating around that it never hurts to explain why we choose one direction or another.

!!!
    Absolutely love this. I'd say "this is movie poster material", but this is miles above what passes as a one-sheet these days!

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    WOW!
    Amazing work sir. Well done!

A cut above the rest...truly wonderful... BRAVO!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.5.17!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex The Kid View Post
    WOW!
    Amazing work sir. Well done!
    Much obliged Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    A cut above the rest...truly wonderful... BRAVO!!
    Huzzah, I even rated a Webstor smiley! Thanks Jafari for the generous appraisal.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    !!!
    Absolutely love this. I'd say "this is movie poster material", but this is miles above what passes as a one-sheet these days!
    Thanks, oh wise Zodak. And I know what you mean... all of the craft in movie posters has been dead for years. Really is sad to see these things nowadays... most of them look like something an intern cooked up in a few hours.

Heroic Warrior
    Meh I don't like it

I FREAKING LOVE IT. WEBSTOR LOOKS SO COOL

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Meh I don't like it

I FREAKING LOVE IT. WEBSTOR LOOKS SO COOL
    Hahaha! I'm afraid to say it, but Webstor very nearly didn't make it into the picture! The minion hanging on He-Man's sword arm was originally slotted to be Mer-Man, but in the eleventh hour I decided to use a villain who hasn't been depicted as often.

Thanks for the kind words!

This is absolutely amazing. If the movie looked like this I'd be very happy. Excellent, excellent work!

Widget
    Simply incredible. I'd have to chat with the other guys, but good chance we'd love to add this to our materials for possibly use in our doc, "Power of Grayskull," if you interested in that. PM for more details.

I've finally put the finishing touches on a piece of long-overdue fan art, "Defender of Grayskull", and I wanted to share it with a community that has the same fondness and nostalgia for He-Man and his cast of enemies as I do.

Masters of the Universe has been one of my favorite settings since I was just a doodling tot. One of my fondest memories was unwrapping a Tri Klops action figure one Christmas (and arguing with my brother over whether he was superior to Trapjaw). It's no surprise that one of the first pieces of digital art I tinkered with years ago was a basic bit of illustration featuring He-Man and Skeletor, though I never quite considered it 'done.' I posted it up here quite some time ago, though I don't believe it survived the site's transition.

Now, years later, I decided to take another stab at depicting some of my favorite boyhood action heroes and villains. Defender of Grayskull features He-Man and the Sorceress (in eagle form) taking on a horde of Skeletor's toughest minions near the gate of the mythic castle Grayskull.

I decided to include a few of the more obscure He-Man villains in the piece (like Strongarm and Goat Man) as they don't often show up in much art. I tried to keep the spirit of each character intact while updating their overall designs and level of detail, so each should be easily recognizable despite some changes. I also decided to leave He-Man on his own this time out, absent any allies except Zoar---he is, after all, "the most powerful man in the universe" and worthy of the challenge.

I hope you enjoy this labor of love! Any hardcore He-Man fans interested in a print can check out options at: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/d...ewartwork=true

Quote Originally Posted by grandhelmet View Post
    Simply incredible. I'd have to chat with the other guys, but good chance we'd love to add this to our materials for possibly use in our doc, "Power of Grayskull," if you interested in that. PM for more details.
    PM Sent! Thanks Grand.

Heroic Warrior

I hope you enjoy this labor of love! Any hardcore He-Man fans interested in a print can check out options at: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/d...ewartwork=true

Ryan just saw that the link that you posted, doesn't work anymore. What happened?

wow!!! Do you do this for a living! Just wow! You digital painting has so much detail, nice composition and color...I hope your art get publish somehow as a comic cover or a book cover. Amazing stuff! How long did you work on it?