Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about a MOTU board game in the style of D&D?

What do you think about a MOTU board game in the style of D&D?

A while back I started a thread about what you thought would be the perfect video game and I was thinking today what about a board game. I came up with many different ideas and all would be cool I think but I liked the idea of a MOTU type Dungeons & Dragons best or Magic the Gathering. What would be your ideal board game and do you think it would be a good idea for Mattel to make a board game based on MOTU,POP,NA..ect?

I'd love a motu board game. Never played D&G but any MOTU board game would be cool. MOTU Monopoly for instance.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    That would be cool. I'm all for a strategy card game.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

I'd love to see a D&D style game in the MOTU world. The sourcebook / player's guide would be a real prize to any motu fan because it would compile all of the factions, bestiaries and species. It would be filled with illustrations and maps. Even for those of the fan base that would not be interested into dipping their toes into murkiest waters of geekdom, a D&D style Motu game would serve as a unified compilation of all of the branches MOTU.

I'd love a Masters board game, maybe something like Talisman?

But, to be nit picky, I'm an old school D&D player who sees a contradiction between D&D and board games.....

I actually have the MOTU roleplaying game from '84 or '85. It's quite a bit like original D&D. My only gripe is that it was never expanded; sourcebooks and whatnot would have been a huge help.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I would LOVE a MOTU RPG. Actually I would like a MOUTC type that unifies the eras and brings them together. I have done a bit using another system and doing some house rules, but an actual polished product would be awesome.
    July 2016 can't get here soon enough!

I wouldn't mind an RPG type game for MOTU, but I'd really like a chess set with pewter figures to stand in for the common pieces. I have a Star Wars chess, and I would love to have a MOTU chess set.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

No Thundercats Sub For Me Due To The 200x King Hsss Torso fiasco!

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    MOTU Risk.
    Does Galactus fart?

I'm not a gamer, but I would be interested in a toyline for D&D similar to MOTUC. I'd especially like it if it included all the characters from coloring and activity books in the 80s like Ringlerune and Charmay. Those along with the Dragon's Lair coloring books were ones I owned at the same time as MOTU so that's all connected to my nostalgia. Hey, throw in DragonLance characters like Lord Soth and it'd be awesome!

All that said I'd love more in-depth maps for Eternia and Etheria that might inform a board game.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    sounds cool, but I care more about characters in motu that resemble D&D type monsters & characters.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

A pen and paper game would be awesome, but there have been a fair number of fan done versions for games like Dungeons and Dragons probably Pathfinder and Castles and Crusaders. But the problem mainly being with an open set up is, you would be more likely playing generic characters. So your day as palace guard number 15 would be highlighted by Teela brushing against you when she left to fight Skeletor since the best you can do is miss him with you laser rifle.

A board game like the now older games like HeroQuest, or Dungeons and Dragons board game, or Dragonquest, or several others that came out in the late 90s would also be great. I know they do make many of these type of games still today where you are basically playing a very light version of a pen and paper game. This one would work better with playing actual characters from the fiction.

Card games, I think is too generic now. Most don't do anything really to distinguish themselves from other games which are all for the most part Magic clones. I have heard of some that aren't but they tend to not be as easy to find or don't have the collect the cards aspect.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

if it was in the style of D&D it would not be a board game.

I would love to see a role playing game of MOTU if only because the sourcebooks for RPG's are the best encyclopedia for properties there are. Usually.

Street Fighter back in the day, Cthulhu mythos, ect. Many of these books I own and barely ever played but love to read.

Plus in my own D&D game it is basically my own version of the MOTU world anyway, it would be interesting to see the real thing. Mind you it's destined to dissapoint one way or another, but it would be terribly interesting.

As for an actual board game, sure, why not? I am quite the gamer and would love a MOTU themed one. Modern. As there have been a number of quite old ones that are not terribly good.

I could see one something like Smallworld but with unique MOTU characters and factions.

I'd love to see MOTUC developed further bio and design wise. The All inclusiveness of it is my new standard of scope. This would be perfect in a Smallword type game. Random characters to fight over Eternia with.

Skeletor's crew, Heroic masters, Snakemen, Horde, Great Rebellion, Space Mutants, Galactic Protectors.... ect? And each lineup would change, though you could get rid of one to draw another. Waste time trying to get who your favourite is, or fight on with who you get. That kind of thing.

Actually since I have designed and made (not sold) a number of games already, I may just make this for myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Heroic Warrior
    I am aiming to disappoint then. I'm slowly working on trying to make a role-playing game (not a board game). At the moment I'm in the collecting ideas phase and will probably use a rules set close to AD&D 2nd ed. I'm aiming to have a decent testing platform in about a year, and a first release in two years time. Free and open to everyone in pdf or odt and doc formats.

I'm aiming to make it all inclusive, all canons, all brands, different levels of violence based on preference and so on.

What I don't have is an expert knowledge of any part of the mythos, so if anyone wants to help I'd love to have you on board. I'm thinking that all of the material should be freely shared so while I'll be using it for the RPG, others can use it for wikis or books or websites.

All that being said I wouldn't mind a tactical board game in the vein of Hero Quest and the like with miniatures, buildable mission maps and such. A card game wouldn't excite me, but an art book from said card game would.

Like this ?

http://2warpstoneptune.wordpress.com...-playset-1983/

It seens they used a logo inspired in MOTU and a mini Castle Grayskull....

Heroic Warrior
    If you're trying to recreate Filmation: http://www.spectrum-games.com/cartoon-action-hour.html

In 2011 a guy named James Kerr put out a game for free (via PDF) that is based on the idea of recreating playing with the toys. Basically depending on chargen you either start with a full toy, or some kind of custom if you are a poor kid (like an incomplete character with iterms from a weapons pack). It's actually an inspired approach. I have a copy but can't find it online anywhere.

Edit: Link found https://app.box.com/s/bb9fjiuqb27s0vzqti53
    Last edited by dolfanar; March 3, 2014 at 08:11am.

There were lots of MOTU Board games in the vintage days, including a D&D style RPG:

pic129719_md.jpg

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    There were lots of MOTU Board games in the vintage days, including a D&D style RPG:

pic129719_md.jpg
    Yes, but they are hard to find. I'm always looking on Ebay and you never see them in English. The thing with a new game is that it would help to bring in new fans, which is what MOTU needs the most.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Heroic Warrior
    From what I've read, it isn't an actual rpg, but a board game, the rules have several omissions that makes it hard to play. Google brings up some play tests that are fun to read.

I'd be all about a MOTU RPG. It would be really interesting to see the gamebooks for those.

Personally, I think something similar to Heroscape could be cool. Simple and fast paced for a variety of ages and skill levels.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

From what I've read, it isn't an actual rpg, but a board game, the rules have several omissions that makes it hard to play. Google brings up some play tests that are fun to read.
    No, it's most definitely a tabletop RPG and not a board game. I'm not very familiar with the world of RPGs but my friend took the MOTU sourcebook (which has its own unique comic, btw) and sort of melded it with the Deadlands world and we've had many an interesting campaign with it, including one that has been going on for over three years now.

I'm not sure it's so rare; I paid $20 bucks for a sealed box on eBay. I think most people just aren't aware of it so when it pops up they think it's just another kid-oriented board game. But it's much more like the early TMNT rpg than it is "Battle for Eternia" or whatever those other games were.

Again, my only gripe is that the sourcebook was too short and it was in black and white, even though the comic art was outstanding.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielSchenstrom View Post
    I am aiming to disappoint then. I'm slowly working on trying to make a role-playing game (not a board game). At the moment I'm in the collecting ideas phase and will probably use a rules set close to AD&D 2nd ed. I'm aiming to have a decent testing platform in about a year, and a first release in two years time. Free and open to everyone in pdf or odt and doc formats.

I'm aiming to make it all inclusive, all canons, all brands, different levels of violence based on preference and so on.

What I don't have is an expert knowledge of any part of the mythos, so if anyone wants to help I'd love to have you on board. I'm thinking that all of the material should be freely shared so while I'll be using it for the RPG, others can use it for wikis or books or websites.

All that being said I wouldn't mind a tactical board game in the vein of Hero Quest and the like with miniatures, buildable mission maps and such. A card game wouldn't excite me, but an art book from said card game would.
    I think its great that you are trying a home RPG effort. Coming from many years of RPG experience, I have to say that genre and mechanics go hand in hand. I think the key thing that separates masters of the Universe from a more generic D&D type of setting is the very unique nature of the characters. In D&D you have many fighters, wizards etc. In MOTU you have very singular representative guys with a definable trick or gimmick that is their thing. Therefore the mechanics of an MOTU RPG need to fully embrace and facilitate this as the core of character creation. Unfortunately I think you are going to run into a lot of design issues trying to fit a system like AD&D (lower on customization scale) to a genera all about customization of character. I would instead point you to systems like new world of darkness (mechanics only not setting) and especially the mirrors source book for that system. Other highly customizable systems that allow for player created powers and gimmicks are Mutants and Masterminds, Hero System, Gurps (though I tend not to like this one), and BESM. All of these systems already have built in mechanics for allowing players to craft a very unique character apart from a couple of class / stat / skill choices.

Hope this is useful.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by imperialmyrth View Post
    I think its great that you are trying a home RPG effort. Coming from many years of RPG experience, I have to say that genre and mechanics go hand in hand. I think the key thing that separates masters of the Universe from a more generic D&D type of setting is the very unique nature of the characters. In D&D you have many fighters, wizards etc. In MOTU you have very singular representative guys with a definable trick or gimmick that is their thing. Therefore the mechanics of an MOTU RPG need to fully embrace and facilitate this as the core of character creation. Unfortunately I think you are going to run into a lot of design issues trying to fit a system like AD&D (lower on customization scale) to a genera all about customization of character. I would instead point you to systems like new world of darkness (mechanics only not setting) and especially the mirrors source book for that system. Other highly customizable systems that allow for player created powers and gimmicks are Mutants and Masterminds, Hero System, Gurps (though I tend not to like this one), and BESM. All of these systems already have built in mechanics for allowing players to craft a very unique character apart from a couple of class / stat / skill choices.

Hope this is useful.
    Thanks for the suggestions imperialmyth. I did not think about which system to use for very long and AD&D was chosen primarily for my familiarity with the system. I am familiar with the games you suggest and I have some 60 systems at my disposal at home. Having DMed AD&D the most and having some of the books with alternate ways of creating characters I think that the rules will be the least of the problems.

The character creation part is the one that's furthest along and will be step by step, random determination or points buy/choice for species, profession, stats and "gimmick/specialty".

It's going to be two levels of complexity, one that's more sutable for younger folks or those that prefer a faster system and one more advanced for the others.

If you'd like to participate in the creation and look at what's been done so far, pm me. It would be great to have other opinions, and I think it's possible to rip out the MOTU parts and have them fit into most systems, separate from the rules.

Night Stalker: I'm pretty familiar with RPGs and board games, and everything I read about the Motu rpg says that it's a board game where the goal is to get through Snake mountain. An advanced set was planned and some of the things like missing spell descriptions were for that advanced game which never was published.

This is one of the sources: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...e-playing-game
    Last edited by DanielSchenstrom; March 3, 2014 at 03:18pm. Reason: Added info.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielSchenstrom View Post

Night Stalker: I'm pretty familiar with RPGs and board games, and everything I read about the Motu rpg says that it's a board game where the goal is to get through Snake mountain. An advanced set was planned and some of the things like missing spell descriptions were for that advanced game which never was published.

This is one of the sources: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...e-playing-game

Yes, there are several glaring omissions like spells, weapon characteristics and of course different campaigns. But overall the game is more like the original D&D and less like the D&D boardgame that it's often compared to:

_b_vrq-q_wk___kgrhqyokioewq1l-nhpbmo1coh-dg___3.jpg

Of course, this is all a matter of conjecture. I'm not hugely familiar with RPGs and I really have my friend to thank for opening my eyes to the world of tabletop gaming.

I can say that my friend, who designs our campaigns originally started with a system based on GURPS and it did not translate well to our world of MOTU. After trial and error, we settled on Deadlands and while our campaigns are set in a post-apocalyptic world there are no zombie cowboys.

Yeah, the gimmick issue was the reason I suggested Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades or even 3.0/3.5 Dungeons and Dragons. Many of the gimmicks can be simply a feat that is taken at the start of the character or later depending on story progression. This way the gimmicks can be controlled better and not be too overpowering, not to say that feats or combinations of feats don't do that. Some of the gimmicks may need more a paragon path to deal with though. I could see for example Ram-mans head butt being a feat modified off the knock spell with modifications based on strength but a chance at failure and critical failure of damage or dazed effect.

But then characters like Man-e-faces or Double Trouble, more a paragon path for a bard type (granted 3d bard was weak and many paragons just added to the class made it a full class) that allowed them the ability to disguise themselves magically and naturally.

Also years ago I found this
    http://mysteriesofgreyskull.tripod.c...s/motu_rpg.htm Which has some interesting ideas on how to handle some of the special abilities. More a 1st/2nd edition rule set.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it