Thread: What if they skipped MotU movie and made a show instead ?

Heroic Warrior

What if they skipped MotU movie and made a show instead ?

Look at how long ST TNG aired for instance......imo , it's better with a show than no new MotU at all

Prolly more time to go in depth with the characters as well.......
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I would be happier with a new show compared to a movie. I think a movie is going to have a hard time finding an audience depending on what path they take to make it.

Also, as you mentioned, having a show would perhaps allow it to last longer and present more stories.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I would be for a new show as well, as cool as MOTU movie would be there are always problems with trouble translating a classic to the big screen. Maybe Mattel can strike a deal with DC and WB and have it based on the MOTU comics.
    Etheria will be mine!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Without a doubt a new show would be better than a big budget movie, for reasons too numerous to list here, but as you stated the character development will always take a back-seat when it comes to a motion picture.

Unfortunately, with the plethora of animated shows available to the viewing public, MOTU would need something pretty special to set it apart from the pack. Nostalgia is a good start, but as we saw with the 200X show, it just isn't enough nowadays...

I would personally like to see a show that follows the narrative in MOTU Classics. This way every era is covered and we get to see a pretty amazing cast of interacting characters that, I believe, both new and old fans could appreciate. Animation could go either way, that is to say, I would prefer a more traditional animation style, but I wouldn't totally be against a GCI animated series either (similar to Star Wars: Rebels.)

Also, the MOST important ingredient in any show worth it's time on the air is it's writers! The 2012 TMNT show got off the ground thanks to popularity, but it has endured (i.e. two new seasons have been ordered) because of it's wonderful, witty, and striking stories. A new MOTU show would have to inject the right combination of humor, action, and drama to be recognized - it could not depend solely on the stories of the past being retold for today's audience.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Without a doubt a new show would be better than a big budget movie, for reasons too numerous to list here, but as you stated the character development will always take a back-seat when it comes to a motion picture.

Unfortunately, with the plethora of animated shows available to the viewing public, MOTU would need something pretty special to set it apart from the pack. Nostalgia is a good start, but as we saw with the 200X show, it just isn't enough nowadays...

I would personally like to see a show that follows the narrative in MOTU Classics. This way every era is covered and we get to see a pretty amazing cast of interacting characters that, I believe, both new and old fans could appreciate. Animation could go either way, that is to say, I would prefer a more traditional animation style, but I wouldn't totally be against a GCI animated series either (similar to Star Wars: Rebels.)

Also, the MOST important ingredient in any show worth it's time on the air is it's writers! The 2012 TMNT show got off the ground thanks to popularity, but it has endured (i.e. two new seasons have been ordered) because of it's wonderful, witty, and striking stories. A new MOTU show would have to inject the right combination of humor, action, and drama to be recognized - it could not depend solely on the stories of the past being retold for today's audience.
    I've had a vision of a long running show (5 to 7 seasons) covering the many eras presented in MOTUC canon. It would be great as a new animated series, but I think in place of a movie it would be fantastic as a live action series. Essentially most of the characters are humanoid, so I imagine with effects and creature make up, this would work now in today's sci-fi TV market. I would be thrilled to see the likes of Megator and Tytus, Oo-Larr, Vikor, King Grayskull, come to life. In fact, I want to see a series that's epic and generational, with it's main focus on the present MOTU He-Man/Skeletor rivalry, but also shows us massive battles like the 3 Ultimate Battegrounds.

I want to see the return of the Snake Men and The Horde to Eternia. I want to see the Masters on Etheria, helping the Great Rebellion, and the birth of She-Ra, and Adora's defection to the good guys. I want to see Dare and Skeleteen, and the moment when the Overlords of Trolla bestow the sword of He onto Ro.
    I want to see the three towers of Eternia. I want to see it all.

I think the time has passed for a cartoon based on Classics. Any new cartoon would likely also have an all new toyline at retail. I do think with a new movie that a new cartoon would also be more likely. I'd probably be more excited for new cartoon over a movie, but my guess is that we'll eventually get both within a year or two of each other. As for a live action tv series, I don't think it would work very well unless given a Game of Thrones type budget.

I'd love a TV show but to be honest what kind of budget do you think a live action MOTU TV show would get? it would be pretty dismal and not very other worldly as it should be. I'd smell a 1-2 year run at best more than likely a 1/2 season. The cost involved to make it at least even remotely good would kill it. I think cartoon could do great if handled properly. For everything MYP did right they still did so much wrong from airing times, to tone, to half bottomed animation. Hopefully my youngest gets a cartoon she can get into but I'm not holding my breath.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    I'd love a TV show but to be honest what kind of budget do you think a live action MOTU TV show would get? it would be pretty dismal and not very other worldly as it should be. I'd smell a 1-2 year run at best more than likely a 1/2 season. The cost involved to make it at least even remotely good would kill it. I think cartoon could do great if handled properly. For everything MYP did right they still did so much wrong from airing times, to tone, to half bottomed animation. Hopefully my youngest gets a cartoon she can get into but I'm not holding my breath.
    I agree.

Without a proper budget, we could easily end up with a show like Hercules the Legendary Adventures or worse, Conan the Adventurer...

(Although, admittedly, I am a fan of both of those shows... but I don't think it can even come close to doing MOTU any justice...)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

200x was cancelled because the toys weren't selling, not because the show wasn't well received. And the toys didnt sell because some genius at Mattel flooded the shelves with Spin-Blade He-Man.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

LOL yes of course I realise a TV show would need a good budget. But if it had one, it would be epic.

No, movie please. I donít really like TV. Iíve always preferred the movie format to the format of an ongoing television series. Also, a film would just look infinitely superior to a television series, at least in a visual sense. Heavy fantasy-esque TV shows usually suffer from poor production values and visuals.

I wouldn't want it to be live action, I can tell you that.

I've actually thought a bit about how I'd reboot the franchise if I was boss of the world (as I'm sure most of us have), and I decided that an animated television show would be better for establishing the world and the characters than any movie. A show would give us the chance to establish the various heroic and evil warriors as individual heroes and threats, rather than peripheral characters to the clash between He-Man and Skeletor.

They've all got potentially great character arcs, motivations and individual capabilities and flaws. Mer-Man is the king of an underwater species, right? Why would he want to ally his people with a madman like Skeletor? Why is Beast Man so devoted to Skeletor? What's it like for Stratos, ruling a kingdom of Sky-Apes but constantly having to run off and fight alongside He-Man? These questions all have answers that couldn't really be addressed in a movie, since a movie would inevitably have to focus on Adam / He-Man. A show could view Eternia in a far more in-depth way.

I would love if MOTU went the DC and Marvel comics route and did straight to DVD cartoon movies targeting adults. I don't mean to be cold but give up on targeting children and focus on the true core group(80s kids) because children now are more into the japanimation invasion that has been dominating television cartoon for a long time. MOTU has a cult following that is deep! Except for online I haven't met a true MOTU fan in person. I really don't think a live action Micheal Bay like movie will do He-man justice. MOTU is so close to me because it's not the latest fad or what's cool for today. It's like the Grateful Dead and we are the diehard fans who still support and will follow the group till the end. Having a live action movie done by people who had to read up on He-man wouldn't do the true fans any justice. If cartoon movies were made that went straight to DVD the real spirit of He-man could be told again. And not just He-man I love other characters equally if not more than He-man himself.

As much as you would hate this it would almost be better if they did a MOTU reboot with Japanimation style visuals. There is nothing wrong with Anime style cartoons as long as the story is good. It was the story and characters that gave the vintage He-Man series its' magic. There is something fundamentally appealing to telling a story about characters that are more than they appear. I remember in the early 80s when every kid wanted to be He-Man and raise that magic sword in the air and say "I have the power." That was part of the magic of the He-Man story. Unlike superman who had to be born into his powers, He-Man was given "fabulous" secret powers which means theoretically anyone could be He-Man. In the imagination of children there was a He-Man inside all of us if only we a had a magic sword to unleash him. It was that universal "I have the power" story that made MOTU so appealing in the 80s because there was no other hero like He-Man and there has not been one since.

The emphasis about doing He-Man right is not about appealing to adults and making him like every other cookie cutter super hero. The real magic of He-Man is the complete appeal to the inner child. The only thing adult like about He-Man was his moral character and that each story taught a lesson. MOTU harkens back to a simpler time when good guys were actually good and the bad guys were actually bad. MOTU episode The Arena was so incredibly well written and illustrates the morality of entire series. Please think back to your childhood and how much sway MOTU had over our generation. He-Man was literally larger than life and an almost god like figure who could do no wrong.

Whether they decide to go with a new animated show or a big Hollywood movie the one thing is clear is that He-Man reboot needs to appeal to a wider new audience. Making something for the old time fans alone is not going to cut it anymore. The 200X cartoon failed a decade ago and the MOTUC line is winding down. These are declining niche markets. Unless there is a new surge of children getting into He-Man the franchise won't have much of a future. The world is a much bigger place now with new markets in Asia and elsewhere that have never heard of He-Man before. There is so much potential for MOTU to be bigger than ever. Keep the characters, keep the story but tell it in a new medium that hasn't been done before. Anime style is the key to reaching a new generation as well as expanding into overseas markets.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    What if there was a movie (or two) and a tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    What if there was a movie (or two) and a tv show.
    It could happen especially if the movie and the TV show come out around the same time. It worked with Star Wars: Clone Wars.

That's a good idea! In away the 200X version had a japanimation style