Thread: Some questions from a noob

Some questions from a noob

Hi all,

Longtime MOTU & He-Man.org fan, but have only recently decided to start collecting again. I was wondering if someone can help clear up some confusion for me - I want to start collecting some newer MOTU (and Thundercats) stuff, but have no idea what is out there or where to start. All the different companies & lines of toys are confusing. I need to know what's out there so I can decide what to focus on.

Can someone give me a quick blurb on what each of these are? Thanks in advance.

MOTU Classics - Are these made by Mattel?? Or someone else?
    MOTU Filmation figures - are these the classics?
    NECA - who are they?
    Thundercats Classics - Are these Mattel?? Where do I buy these?
    Matty Collector - I keep hearing about this guy. Is he just a guy with a massive collection, like Pixel Dan? Did he have an online store? His website is down.
    Four Horsemen - I know they make stuff - but what lines?
    Super 7 - as above.
    Icon Heroes - as above
    I've seen an awesome video of a Skeletor statue from Sideshow Collectibles - who are they? Do they make stuff, or just sell it?
    Last edited by herbie747; March 12, 2017 at 09:06pm.

I'm going to move this to the Classics section since most of your questions revolve around that. You'll find some good answers there.

Heya Herbie,

I was in your shoes just a year and a half ago.

MOTU Classics is/was a line that was launched in 2008 by Mattel, sold through MattyCollector.com until Dec 31, 2016. Near the end of "Classics," Matty Collector began doing a line of filmation variants, branded "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe," with the subscription called "Club Grayskull." Both Classics and "Club Grayskull" (the Filmation line) are now handled by Super 7.

The Four Horsemen were the designers for the early 2000s toys, and are the designers for Classics, Club Grayskull, and their own popular lines (Mythic Legions, for example)

Icon Heroes made a number of small items like letter openers, statues, and mousepads, mostly unavailable except on the secondary market now.

Sideshow Collectibles has some great designers making busts, statues, and prints.

Mattel recently released a short line of Thundercats figures, but closed Mattycollector.com before being able to do much -- Super 7 is now going to pursue the rights to do those, but the license is less easy than most to acquire, so it may be a bit.

NECA is an awesome toy company that has made a number of great lines over the years, and I believe they did the Stactions from the early 2000s iteration of He-man (200x).

- - - Updated - - -

If it's at all helpful:

Active lines right now (please add stuff, all, if I forget things):

Dark Horse:

Dark Horse has released a number of books that detail & collect the world & past publications of MotU & PoP.

SUPER7:

ReAction figures (3.75") - He-man figures in the style of retro Kenner figures. Available now! Wave 3 has just been previewed.
    M.U.S.C.L.E. (MotUSCLE) - He-man figures in the style of the retro MUSCLE figures. Wave 3 has just been previewed.
    MOTU Classics (Collector's Choice) - MOTU figures continuing from where Matty Collector left off -- really getting some lesser known characters out now. Coming up for pre-orders soon.
    MOTU Classics (Filmation / Club Grayskull) - MOTU figures in the Filmation style. Wave 2 is coming up for pre-orders soon.
    MOTU 5" figures - Pre-orders for Vintage MOTU-style figures of He-Ro, Eldor, & Filmation versions of Hordak, She-Ra, He-man, & Skeletor are forthcoming!

Sideshow Collectibles:

MOTU Statues: He-man, Skeletor, Evil-lyn are currently available for between $400-500 each. She-Ra is forthcoming.

Loyal Subjects:

Blind boxed vinyl figures.

Who have I missed...?

Cool - thanks.

So are Super 7 designers? Or is that Four Horsemen? And what is Mattel's input? And what did Matty do?

Heroic Warrior
    Yes the figures are still being designed by 4H.Super7 is just doing the business side of things.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by herbie747 View Post
    Cool - thanks.

So are Super 7 designers? Or is that Four Horsemen? And what is Mattel's input? And what did Matty do?
    From what I have always understood, the Four Horsemen design all of the toys in the Classics and Filmation lines. Mattel was the one creating the line (with the Four Horsemen as the designers) and sold it through their online site MattyCollector.com. As of 2017, Mattel has given control of those lines over to Super 7. They have an online store, have already revealed the first wave of Classics (Collector's Choice) and Filmation (Club Grayskull) figures. Pre-orders dates for those have not been announced yet, but each wave will be four figures and it is an all-in or all-out buy (though they did discuss payment in installments). If I understood correctly, Wave 2 of these lines will likely be revealed at SDCC.

Additionally, Super 7 is still using Four Horseman as the designers and are having them made at the same factory that Mattel used, so hopefully we will not see any real difference in the final product. There are still a few remaining items from Mattel's stock available on Wal-Mart's website, so you may want to look there. For the few that remain, some of the prices are pretty cheap. There is also a Marketplace in this forum, and other places to buy older figures like Ebay and other sites I have heard mentioned here.

I hope that helps.

Great - that all makes sense - thanks guys.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Something I think is important to point out, and is rarely well understood, is that Mattycollector.com, the website that sold Masters of the Universe Classics, was NOT Mattel.

The website was, essentially, an order-creating "face" for a distribution center run by Digital River.

Essentially, 4 Horsemen designed the toyline based on Mattel's (mostly Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich's) say so. Once the figures were designed, they were handed over to Mattel proper where they were adapted for production (which led to lots of small changes between the 4Horsemen's prototypes and the finished toys). Once they were manufactured, the figures were shipped to Digital River and essentially became their inventory. Mattel's interest in MattyCollector.com seems to be limited to "How well did this figure sell?" in order to determine next year's assortment.

The closing of MattyCollector at the end of 2016 was essentially a licensing contract running its course. Mattel would no longer provide inventory for Digital River to sell, and therefore Digital River would no longer sell under the MattyCollector banner.

Mattel licensing MOTU to Super 7 is about Mattel removing itself from the equation.

Now, the 4Horsemen will design the toys and Super 7 will go through the manufacturing process themselves. They will also handle the sales of the product they manufacture. Mattel will stay entirely out of the process and simply collect their licensing fees.
    Red Beast needs your support!

Please consider Red Beast, the MUST HAVE concept figure, when making your Wish Lists for Super 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Something I think is important to point out, and is rarely well understood, is that Mattycollector.com, the website that sold Masters of the Universe Classics, was NOT Mattel.

The website was, essentially, an order-creating "face" for a distribution center run by Digital River.

Essentially, 4 Horsemen designed the toyline based on Mattel's (mostly Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich's) say so. Once the figures were designed, they were handed over to Mattel proper where they were adapted for production (which led to lots of small changes between the 4Horsemen's prototypes and the finished toys). Once they were manufactured, the figures were shipped to Digital River and essentially became their inventory. Mattel's interest in MattyCollector.com seems to be limited to "How well did this figure sell?" in order to determine next year's assortment.

The closing of MattyCollector at the end of 2016 was essentially a licensing contract running its course. Mattel would no longer provide inventory for Digital River to sell, and therefore Digital River would no longer sell under the MattyCollector banner.

Mattel licensing MOTU to Super 7 is about Mattel removing itself from the equation.

Now, the 4Horsemen will design the toys and Super 7 will go through the manufacturing process themselves. They will also handle the sales of the product they manufacture. Mattel will stay entirely out of the process and simply collect their licensing fees.
    You have your wires crossed a little. Mattycollector was/is owned by Mattel. Digital River is purely the web hosting/eCommerce/logistics solution/platform. Anyone that wants to sell stuff but doesn't have the cash to build their own eCommerce solution can use Digital River, Digital River in no way owned Mattycollector, they were simply a vendor that Mattel used. Many companies use Digital River, check out their website here: https://www.digitalriver.com/

Again, Digital River didn't own Mattycollector, if Mattel wanted to, they could reopen Mattycollector tomorrow without Digital River's consent or involvement.