Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much is SPACE an issue to you?

How much is SPACE an issue to you?

...no, not 'space' in a galactic sense. This isn't another MOTU vs. NA debate!

I'm simply running out of space for my collection...as much as I'd *love* to have an entire room dedicated to MOTU and POP, I'm simply not making the dosh to justify buying a house for it. And thus I'm running out of space in my living room. It already has a dedicated Shrine of Power (TM) but with what 2012 has in store (namely Shadow Weaver, Sorceress and the Star Sisters, plus the Wind Raider on its way), I'm being forced to make a few choices.

Do I stick the figures I don't have room for in a box for all eternity? Do I sell off my least-favourites? Do I impose a rule that means no more impulse buying of characters I don't necessarily have an affinity with?

Help!

Is anyone else facing similar problems?

Man, this is going to feel like counselling all over again.
    Last edited by Scorpia; December 28, 2011 at 07:42am.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

I'm in the same boat. There are simply not enough shelves in my space. When my friends come over and they marvel at the size of the MOTU collection on display, they all make suggestions as to where yet ANOTHER shelf could be put up. I've considered putting my least favorites in a box and packed away, but that seems unfortunate. I'm a completist in some rights, but I will have to make some difficult decisions this year when it comes time for any other large-scale beasts. I am just truly out of room.

Living in a single room apartment, space definitely is the issue. First real casualty of this was the Windraider.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

I'm in a one bedroom apartment, i definitely have an issue with space.
    all my figures are out of the packaging, got rid of all packaging except the card backs.
    my figures are all in individual baggies, in two plastic containers awaiting the day that i get a larger place and they can be displayed.
    my feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=218428

selling off my entire motu classics collection, here's a link to one of my auctions..... check out my other items 43 auctions total.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120886470944...84.m1555.l2649

Running out of Space? I'm on the same boat... but I ain't stopping until I get the characters I want (mostly from POP, 200X and NA)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

For the figures themselves, space isn't much of an issue (yet) as they don't occupy a lot of space - i have one Detolf and will be getting another soon-ish.

As for beasts & over-sized figures, i actually wouldn't mind if they cut back on these. The ones we have now are sweet but one a year from here on end would be enough for me.

I favor the "stick it in a box" approach.

Big issue. Even bigger according to my wife.

Wgere do moc collectors store their figs ?

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Running out of Space? I'm on the same boat... but I ain't stopping until I get the characters I want (mostly from POP, 200X and NA)
    agreed, and i won't be getting rid of any to make room either.
    i couldn't imaging how much space they'd take up had i left them carded.. i didn't open them because of my space issue.. i just generally like to open my figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Big issue. Even bigger according to my wife.

Wgere do moc collectors store their figs ?
    all of mine are in 2 plastic containers in my closet.
    Last edited by citizens_X; December 28, 2011 at 08:47am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    my feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=218428

selling off my entire motu classics collection, here's a link to one of my auctions..... check out my other items 43 auctions total.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120886470944...84.m1555.l2649

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Mine get stored in plastic storage boxes so they don't take up too much space yet...

He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I have a lot packed away because of space issues.
    It doesn't stop me from buying things I really like a lot even if they are big.
    The big toys I got for Christmas are the Windraider, G.I. Joe Skystriker, Pirates of the Caribbean Queen Anne's Revenge Pirate Ship and the Ghostbusters Ghost Trap (I got extremely spoiled )
    (It helped a lot that the Skystriker and QaR were both discounted under $20 )

In the past I sold things that I had packed away for a few years and I regretted it every time. I had to buy it again which made me spend a lot more money over time.

Nowadays If I want something, I save up for it, then I go over it a couple of times, ask myself if I truly want it and if it fits in the collection and then I check out reviews to make a final decision.

With MOTUC its not really an option because of the subscription. It helps immensely that I love all eras of MOTU/POP/NA and there are only a few that I dislike. I love the diversity! I do have problems with variants and they are very difficult to decide upon. As far as vehicles go, I really want the Battle Ram, Sky Sled, Stridor, Nightstalker but for the rest, I have to wait and see. The Griffin is borderline for me, I have to decide when I get it in hand. Gygor was cool enough for me to keep. I am unsure which other beasts besides the awesome Granimyr I want to keep. If they are fantasy beasts like a Kraken, then yes, but others most likely not so much.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I just purchased 4 more shelves the other day and I plan on getting 4 more. My entire office will soon have shelves on the walls and I am hoping that will cover everything that is to be released.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Married with kids, so have gone from an entire room for my collections when we first got our house almost 7 years ago, to having it turned into an office and halving my display, to being moved out of their entirely and into our master bedroom and some of our loungreoom DVD cabinet in an even smaller display to now getting 6 Detolf cabinets second hand and having pretty much everything in those cabinets in our dining room.

MOTUC on top, 200X next tier, Superman figures next, then some Transformers MPs, movie figures on the next row and finally re-displaying my LOTR stuff on the bottom row.

MOTUC has a bit of room to grow, but no doubt may see the LOTR go back into storage (unless I track down another 1 or 2 Detolfs, lol).

Im in the same boat. My MOTUC are taking over all of my shelves. I collect a lot of vintage motu, ninja turtles, gi joes. Ive noticed this past year, Ive been storing away everthing to make room for my MOTUC. I have one shelf for turtles left and one sheft of random favorites. All the rest are vintage motu and motuc.

Well, I have a mix-match and hodge-podge of assorted wall shelves and computer desks and try and plan for future releases. I don't get multiples regardless of extra heads. So far, no space issues, but I have space set up for future releases and am slowly overtaking the study.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I was running out of space in my previous bin recently, so I switched to this BIG 'ol one. Obviously from the pic you can tell that there ain't gona be room for much more before I run into that problem again.

SOOOO...yes! Space is a problem. What i'm not showing you is the rest of the room, so this isn't really a new thing for me, since this isn't the only toyline I collect (nor am I the only one collecting; we're trying to figure out what to do with my wife's legos at the moment. You can see a tiny snippet on the bottom right, but that's just the edge of a pile that's taking up half the room).
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    I have my stuff displayed in my living room. Im going to replace the short shelve, then after that..its bye bye gi joe and sw, as they are headed to a storage bin.

Last edited by Romadon; December 29, 2011 at 09:26am.

i have a smallish toy room, but between ML, MS, MU, DCUC, GI Joe, WWE, and MOTUC, i'm starting to run out of room. i have doors i'm using as tables, but they are bar height. i'm going to have to make them table height to add another row of shelves.

within a year, MAYBE 2 with my reduction in buying (but probably not with the return of MLs), i'm going to run out of space again.

According to a recent study, we need three more planet Earths for everyone to live as Westerners do.

Clearly, SPACE is an issue & we need to pour money into NASA to help us find these extra Earths.

Unfortunately, the study didn't account for toy collectors, so our true goal is something like six extra Earths.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Mine get stored in plastic storage boxes so they don't take up too much space yet...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r/DSC00350.jpg
    Best conga line ever!!

Space is a bit of an issue for me as well. We have a home office where I display my toys. In addition to MOTUC I also collect GI Joe, Marvel Universe, and have a decent display space for my customs. I think it's about time to buy another bookcase...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Space isn't that much of an issue. I have a 5 foot shelf space. I just rotate characters in and out as needed.

Although right now I have managed to put EVERYONE in that five foot display, my default configuration is Great Rebellion, Heroic Warriors, Evil Warriors, Horde -- the numerous factions. In the future, The Great Rebellion will probably get replaced by the Snake Men once they become numerous enough.

After that, I'll break out the POP or New Adventures characters on occasion.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I have a whole room dedicated to collectibles and I still have issues with space. I'm a MOCer and also have collected other lines like Star Wars. I had to put some shelves in front of other shelves which I didn't like doing, but it saves some space. Space is one of the factors that went into me not subscribing for 2011 and 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Space isn't that much of an issue. I have a 5 foot shelf space. I just rotate characters in and out as needed.

Although right now I have managed to put EVERYONE in that five foot display, my default configuration is Great Rebellion, Heroic Warriors, Evil Warriors, Horde -- the numerous factions. In the future, The Great Rebellion will probably get replaced by the Snake Men once they become numerous enough.

After that, I'll break out the POP or New Adventures characters on occasion.
    What? I thought you were a big NA proponent? How can you then hide these characters away?

My bigger issue is that I keep coming up with grand schemes of how to "better" display my figures. I then end up with a display in transition for months making the whole room look cluttered. First I customized the IKEA Detolf shelves for two side by side into one large unit and now I've turned a whole closet into a large display enclosed with the Detolf doors and have plans to customize risers for the display into a sort of large diarama/playset . . but I started this transition in September and still have a long way to go

One thing I'm doing to cut back is try to stop all impulse buys of other toy lines. I kind of wish the DCUC sub wouldn't have gone through so I could get out of DC altogether. I didn't buy the latest 4 Horsemen stuff because I don't have room.

This is a major problem. I have been collecting for over 10 years and being an ultra completist did not help. Vintage, NA, 200x, Motuc I had to have it all. Toys, vehicles, merchandise, ect. I moved to California and had to put all my stuff in storage. As it was it was in boxes before moving.

I learned to live without it and kind of moved on so when I got my new place I only kept my coolest items and the ones that meant the most to me. That being said I have one room dedicated and have MOTU in almost every room in the house including the living room
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Subscribe to stay alive! Zargon's Avatar
    Big problem. My office, smallest of three bedrooms, is where I keep my MOTU collections (200X, Classics, soon vintage) but my wife keeps telling me that it's not just my office. She wants to display her Barbies and other "junk" as well, but with the rate that MOTUC is expanding I feel that I may have to start displaying in shifts and storing others....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: 2015 to survive - Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah