View Poll Results: Should Battleground Evil-Lyn be repainted to Filmation accurate colors?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, repaint her as Filmation accurate Evil-Lyn! And hurry up!

30 32.26%
  • No, I´m fine with the Hybrid. I don´t need/want a new sculpted 200x Evil-Lyn (please explain why)

37 39.78%
  • No, I don´t need/want a Filmation Evil-Lyn

26 27.96%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Battle Ground Evil-Lyn be repainted to Filmation colors instead of MYP colors?

Should Battle Ground Evil-Lyn be repainted to Filmation colors instead of MYP colors?

I have to admit, Battleground Evil-Lyn was my major disappointment this SDCC.
    I love the addition of the helmetless head and the cape looks fantastic.

What bugs me is that the color scheme of the figure is clearly based on the 200x staction. However, the whole point of fans asking three years for a 200x variant of Lyn was to get rid of the Teela clothes.
    Fans however are not only asking for a proper 200x variant, but would love to see a Filmation colored Evil-Lyn as well, which could easily share Teelas dress.

So, wouldn´t it be MUCH wiser to repaint Battleground Evil-Lyn to Filmation accurate colors and save the 200x color scheme for a 200x sculpted Evil-Lyn? Especially now since the Filmation rights are available?

Please, when answering keep in mind that she is part of the sub, as well as every other Evil-Lyn would be part of the sub, most propably. So if one day we get a Filmation accurate Lyn and a proper 200x Lyn, we´d be stuck with this hybrid that basically renders itself useless, as it is neither this nor that, yet we have to pay for it.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

No, the original is close enough. Rather than another variant, many would rather have other characters, i.e. Ram Man, Saurod, et cetera. This Evil-Lyn is fine.

I don't quite feel the same way DJ... My feeling is that i don't want - especially now that Mattel have the Filmation license - to be flooded with different variants of certain figures that we already have, in this case Evil-Lyn. Realistically, there would be only a few exceptions in my case.

I'm happy with the way BG E-L turned out cause i think she'll look great next to FO and Marzo in my '200X Classics' display. I realise she's not 200X accurate but it's where she'll fit in for me. It does beg the question though - where would a Filmation accurate E-L fit in my collection? I have no idea.

Wow. I´m really - REALLY surprised so far. My thoughts were: We are getting a repaint of Evil-Lyn no matter what. She´s slotted in, the money´s been spent. It´s inevitable we get Battleground Evil-Lyn.
    However, I have the strong feeling that this particular variant figure could - and should - have been planned with a different color scheme. I still hope we´ll get a proper 200x design Evil-Lyn down the line, and she would render this particular battleground Lyn obsolete. And that doesn´t have to be this way, if battleground Lyn would have a different color scheme. So why not please even more fans and make her in Filmation colors?
    Being a completionist I´d hate to throw away a figure if and when a better one comes out. That´s why I am so happy about She-Ra 2.0 being a full variant instead of just "a better version", both versions can stand in my shelf without the feeling of doubles.

Ah, I could talk on and on. Bottom line: The inevitable variant now should please most fans without having to sacrifice another variant down the line.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i really like a hybrid evil lyn. filmation/myp lyn.

I like the hybrid, the colors go along with her dad's and a helmetless Evil-Lyn was what I was holding out for.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Wow. I´m really - REALLY surprised so far. My thoughts were: We are getting a repaint of Evil-Lyn no matter what. She´s slotted in, the money´s been spent. It´s inevitable we get Battleground Evil-Lyn.
    However, I have the strong feeling that this particular variant figure could - and should - have been planned with a different color scheme. I still hope we´ll get a proper 200x design Evil-Lyn down the line, and she would render this particular battleground Lyn obsolete. And that doesn´t have to be this way, if battleground Lyn would have a different color scheme. So why not please even more fans and make her in Filmation colors?
    Being a completionist I´d hate to throw away a figure if and when a better one comes out. That´s why I am so happy about She-Ra 2.0 being a full variant instead of just "a better version", both versions can stand in my shelf without the feeling of doubles.

Ah, I could talk on and on. Bottom line: The inevitable variant now should please most fans without having to sacrifice another variant down the line.
    I wish they could do this. I'd rather Mattel make it right the first time, than half-ass it, only to fix her with another figure.

But if it's too late to fix this figure, Evil-Lyn is a big enough character to refresh two more times (Filmation repaint of Battleground Lyn and 200X Purple leotard with skirt and snow cape).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

If they were going to half-ass it by using Teela's dress one more, they should've gone Full Filmation instead of half-assing the MYP inspired version
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the figure looks nice as is, but think that both 200X Evil-Lyn with new boots and dress are needed, and also a Filmation accurate Evil-lyn also. The classic Teela dress from the vintage line was pretty different from both 200X and Filmation. I think it's strange that people want to get a cheap knock off of the version I think they don't like. I for one, like Evil-Lyn and would like to see this BG Evil-Lyn, and also Evil-Lyn reissued in appropriate time as 200X and Filmation styles, and even as Meg Foster from the Movie when they get the rights. There's room for it all, I don't get the fury.
    Good trades with: Cammor

I'm happy to get a helmetless head, and a cape for her. I like the design they have, I prefer her to the original release. Never liked the yellow skin.

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind if BG Lyn's colors were closer to Filmation, but although I like her classic yellow skin more than the pale MYP style, I'm absolutely satisfied with this pretty cool Hybrid version. A Filmation-coloured Lynnie would surely have been great IMO, but I don't necessarily need one.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I voted to change her paint to Filmation, because this one is much closer to Filmation than the 200X/MYP Evil-Lyn. I mean...she never even HAD a cape! Filmation Evil-Lyn has a cape! The closest MYP Evil-Lyn came to wearing a cape what the episode she sported the cowl with fur trim...which she only wears in cold climates. If that's what this is, where's the hood?!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

The thing I liked most about the 200x Evil Lyn was her "human" skin colour and maybe her colour scheme in general. Add into that a white hair helmetless head, cape, and a "casting hand"? I love it.

Sure, I thought they would do a more 200x dress. Seemed to be implied. I thought it wouldnt be as detailed, not exactly 200x, but moreso than a straight repaint. But with the additions they gave us, and the fact that I never needed a 200x accurate sculpt in the first place, I cant be dissapointed. I got what I wanted. And since I understood the point of this line, and always was on board with their "non-200x" designs, I never needed it.

I dont want 200x versions of characters we already had Vintage. At best I want 200x style and design elements worked in where they impove something. The fact that this exists is fine with me, and I think I will get it, (though I have no idea where it fits in my collection) but I dont think it was manditory, I didnt need it.

As I write this, I just think it is a non issue. My biggest issue was with what appeared to be red paint apps on her should harness bra strap or whatever parts. But in the same way that i am not sympathetic with people who think a He-Man in the Grayskull harness with one of the 200x powerswords isn't a 200x version, I'm not terribly sympathetic with people who dont think this Lyn is 200x enough. She clearly is. She is not ment to be specificly 200x, but an interpritation, which is exactly what they've said we'd get from 200x from day one. In a way, I'm supprised they even bothered to do this.

Actually the only reason I wanted this one, now I think about it, is I like how in 200xMYP Faceless one and Lyn were obviously dressed in the same style. So now I can put BG Lyn with him.

::::

I edit because I would say that I would like her colour scheme to be very obviously matching to Faceless one as I recall it in the 200x cartoon. From the pics, I'd wager she doesnt look that close to him. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be ok if I'm not. But I thought it was important that more than sculpt of dress, I'd want it to match her father.

Nah. I think with BG EL we have enough variants of her. I'm good.
    Who has the Power?

I think she should be repainted to filmation colors, so 200X fans will get the correct Evil lyn variant.

People talk about Ram Man and other figures, I think they are forgetting that quarterly variants are for A-list character only.

So her being repainted into filmation colors isn't going to change the fact that you will see many variants of He-man, Teela, Skeletor, Man At Arms, Evil Lyn, Sorceress, Hordak, Beast Man and a few others.

Ram Man and other characters will be monthly slots, quarterly variants don't effect the monthly slots.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    The thing I liked most about the 200x Evil Lyn was her "human" skin colour and maybe her colour scheme in general. Add into that a white hair helmetless head, cape, and a "casting hand"? I love it.

Sure, I thought they would do a more 200x dress. Seemed to be implied. I thought it wouldnt be as detailed, not exactly 200x, but moreso than a straight repaint. But with the additions they gave us, and the fact that I never needed a 200x accurate sculpt in the first place, I cant be dissapointed. I got what I wanted. And since I understood the point of this line, and always was on board with their "non-200x" designs, I never needed it.

I dont want 200x versions of characters we already had Vintage. At best I want 200x style and design elements worked in where they impove something. The fact that this exists is fine with me, and I think I will get it, (though I have no idea where it fits in my collection) but I dont think it was manditory, I didnt need it.

As I write this, I just think it is a non issue. My biggest issue was with what appeared to be red paint apps on her should harness bra strap or whatever parts. But in the same way that i am not sympathetic with people who think a He-Man in the Grayskull harness with one of the 200x powerswords isn't a 200x version, I'm not terribly sympathetic with people who dont think this Lyn is 200x enough. She clearly is. She is not ment to be specificly 200x, but an interpritation, which is exactly what they've said we'd get from 200x from day one. In a way, I'm supprised they even bothered to do this.

Actually the only reason I wanted this one, now I think about it, is I like how in 200xMYP Faceless one and Lyn were obviously dressed in the same style. So now I can put BG Lyn with him.

::::

I edit because I would say that I would like her colour scheme to be very obviously matching to Faceless one as I recall it in the 200x cartoon. From the pics, I'd wager she doesnt look that close to him. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be ok if I'm not. But I thought it was important that more than sculpt of dress, I'd want it to match her father.
    That is all fine and dandy, but all females after Catra were to have the new female buck. For this reason BG Evil Lyn should have had some type of new outfit to use the new female buck and allow the articulation it comes with. Her outfit was indeed in the budget confirmed by Scott (TG).

So here are things that were lied about regarding BG Evil Lyn:

1. All females after Catra would have female buck 2.0
    2. Quarterly variants once the subscription was introduced would not be repaints, they would be allowed as much tooling as a monthly figure.
    3. TG stated 200X would not be a repaint.

So since she was to have the new female buck, doing a vintage inspired 200X type of outfit would have been the correct way to go.

ToyGuru did state all females after Catra would contain the new buck introduced with BG Teela. Queen Marlena was an exception because she was already completed.
    Last edited by CicconeSC; July 29, 2011 at 06:16am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    To be fair her costume was distinct from Teela in the Filmation series as well. It would be equally wrong to make a Filmation Lyn using the existing Teela tunic. That said, I'll be pretty mad if we do get a Filmation accurate Lyn down the road but don't get a proper MYP version. However it does seem like that's the road Mattel and the 4 Horsemen want to take. We've had 100% accurate Filmation sculpts (Adora, She-Ra 1.0, Shadow Weaver). It doesn't matter to them that those designs are often far too simple to fit in visually with the rest of the line, yet being "too detailed" is considered some kind of sin.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Quote Originally Posted by CicconeSC View Post
    That is all fine and dandy, but all females after Catra were to have the new female buck. For this reason BG Evil Lyn should have had some type of new outfit to use the new female buck and allow the articulation it comes with. Her outfit was indeed in the budget confirmed by Scott (TG).

So here are things that were lied about regarding BG Evil Lyn:

1. All females after Catra would have female buck 2.0
    2. Quarterly variants once the subscription was introduced would not be repaints, they would be allowed as much tooling as a monthly figure.
    3. TG stated 200X would not be a repaint.

So since she was to have the new female buck, doing a vintage inspired 200X type of outfit would have been the correct way to go.

ToyGuru did state all females after Catra would contain the new buck introduced with BG Teela. Queen Marlena was an exception because she was already completed.
    This i've agreed with on other threads. Yeah, she should have had the waist articulation, ect. And since they'd need a new dress for that, sure, why not?

It's not that I'm anti it exactly, or that there arent good reasons this could be dissapointing. It's just that this is our 200x inspired lyn. So voice opinions and all, but dont act like it changes that. And dont expect a "fix" down the line.

I'm just suggesting that what is being discussed would have been cool and all, but with this release I got as much "200x" elements that I needed for it to feel 200x MOTUC. This isnt and has never been 200x 2.0. It appears so far that many agree with that sentiment. I understand that many cannot accept it even a few more years in. I understand that we should have gotten a 2.0 buck, and that would have warrented a new dress, so "why not?" But then They aren't doing 200x just to do 200x. This isnt new.

I will add that if they ever do release a more obviously "200x" Evil Lyn, I will be a bit put out, as that would render this figure a waste of time, because it is the "200x" lyn for me, and I dont need two. If I had to have this one only, or both, I'd rather have this one only.

Kinda just like I would have liked a flocked Panthor, I guess, and I suppose I was supprised they didnt flock him.

But if they do a flocked Panthor, boy it better have a really good additional material or accessories, because I already Have a panthor. I dont need two.
    Or my original He-Man. Ok, evidently the re-release was "fixed", but mine seemed fine to me, and I dont want two sitting around for no reason.

Or roboto? Or Hiss? Fixed shoulders would be great, but I cannot buy the same figure again to fix it. It wasnt that big a deal, though I wish it were otherwise.

I just put them where they go, love on 'em a bit, then wait for a new figure. Not a "fix" of an old one.

That's why I'm glad She-Ra 2.0 is Bubble Power She Ra, because at least she is a real varient, and I dont feel like I got robbed with 1.0, which is a just fine figure. This is a real varient. A child could tell the werent "the same".

I guess I'll just say this BG Lyn is just fine. I am absolutely happy with it. But if they do a more 200x Lyn, then I may get insulted. If they are going to do that, they should have done it first. But this is their "200x" Lyn. That is happening.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    To be fair her costume was distinct from Teela in the Filmation series as well. It would be equally wrong to make a Filmation Lyn using the existing Teela tunic.
    I wouldn't say equally wrong, though I would agree it's wrong. Evil-Lyn's dress in Filmation is actually pretty close to the toy Teela tunic (more so than Filmation Teela's tunic!) so you can certainly get closer to Filmation Evil-Lyn with a repaint. I did a photoshop repaint to test this:

What I am not by any means claiming is that it's anywhere near as Filmation accurate as MOTUC Adora for instance. They reduced or removed much of the toy's details from the animation model for obvious reasons.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    I wouldn't say equally wrong, though I would agree it's wrong. Evil-Lyn's dress in Filmation is actually pretty close to the toy Teela tunic (more so than Filmation Teela's tunic!) so you can certainly get closer to Filmation Evil-Lyn with a repaint. I did a photoshop repaint to test this:

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/...lmationlyn.jpg

What I am not by any means claiming is that it's anywhere near as Filmation accurate as MOTUC Adora for instance. They reduced or removed much of the toy's details from the animation model for obvious reasons.
    See, this is where I'm either to laid back in my fandome, or rabidly insane, because other than the skin colour, the original toy Lyn and filmation lyn are basically the same.

I dont see any difference there than Skin hue. Oh sure, she needs a cape, and there are minor details. But really, other than skin colour (bright yellow of course) how is Toy Lyn not Filmation Lyn? Do you really need a caucasoid Lyn in Toy/Filmation colours? Cool if yes, but boy do I not.

Between BG Lyn & original release Lyn, I got as many as I need.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/...lmationlyn.jpg

Okay you've kind of changed my mind. The Filmation skirt is closer to MOTUC than I remembered, but it's still not perfect. The Filmation skirt is clearly based on the vintage toy and not the card back Teela art like the MOTUC one. Quite a few people were upset that blue/yellow Lyn didn't follow her cardback art(which matched the vintage toy). Still, If they find a way to continue releasing MOTUC vs. DCUC style straight repaints this would be an awesome figure to have, but I wouldn't want it released as a quarterly variant since there's just not enough new here to justify it.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

I'm fine with it the way she looks, I like her the way she is.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I think BG Lyn is perfect and close enough to Filmation that we don't need another one. Limited budget, there are still tons of figures to come that I'd like to see first.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    This i've agreed with on other threads. Yeah, she should have had the waist articulation, ect. And since they'd need a new dress for that, sure, why not?

It's not that I'm anti it exactly, or that there arent good reasons this could be dissapointing. It's just that this is our 200x inspired lyn. So voice opinions and all, but dont act like it changes that. And dont expect a "fix" down the line.

I'm just suggesting that what is being discussed would have been cool and all, but with this release I got as much "200x" elements that I needed for it to feel 200x MOTUC. This isnt and has never been 200x 2.0. It appears so far that many agree with that sentiment. I understand that many cannot accept it even a few more years in. I understand that we should have gotten a 2.0 buck, and that would have warrented a new dress, so "why not?" But then They aren't doing 200x just to do 200x. This isnt new.

I will add that if they ever do release a more obviously "200x" Evil Lyn, I will be a bit put out, as that would render this figure a waste of time, because it is the "200x" lyn for me, and I dont need two. If I had to have this one only, or both, I'd rather have this one only.

Kinda just like I would have liked a flocked Panthor, I guess, and I suppose I was supprised they didnt flock him.

But if they do a flocked Panthor, boy it better have a really good additional material or accessories, because I already Have a panthor. I dont need two.
    Or my original He-Man. Ok, evidently the re-release was "fixed", but mine seemed fine to me, and I dont want two sitting around for no reason.

Or roboto? Or Hiss? Fixed shoulders would be great, but I cannot buy the same figure again to fix it. It wasnt that big a deal, though I wish it were otherwise.

I just put them where they go, love on 'em a bit, then wait for a new figure. Not a "fix" of an old one.

That's why I'm glad She-Ra 2.0 is Bubble Power She Ra, because at least she is a real varient, and I dont feel like I got robbed with 1.0, which is a just fine figure. This is a real varient. A child could tell the werent "the same".

I guess I'll just say this BG Lyn is just fine. I am absolutely happy with it. But if they do a more 200x Lyn, then I may get insulted. If they are going to do that, they should have done it first. But this is their "200x" Lyn. That is happening.
    Figures always get better in the toy business. The Batman made today would be better than the Batman that they made 4 years ago. He-Man is no different.

I feel the opposite of the way you do. I would love to only buy figures once because they "got it right" the first time, but sometimes it takes subsequent tries to "get it right". Sometimes this is due to Mattel misinterpreting the fans desires, ideas that seem good in meetings but are terrible once made, quality control or a limited budget.

I'm paying good money for these figures--by all means, make those figures better.

Just make such figures non-subscription and optional, so that fans who were already pleased are spared a re-purchase.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I love the way she is, and at this point I do not need another EL 200X or Filmation. I have my 200X EL figure to hold me over
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I think she's a good mix of the two. BG EL is in my opinion way way better than yellow EL. I am looking forward to getting two of her very much.