Thread: MOTUC Line wrap-up and a fresh movie start?

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar

MOTUC Line wrap-up and a fresh movie start?

Ok folks, we all know that MOTUC is dwindling, and that's making me very nostalgic. I hate being on the downward spiral, as I'm sure all of us do in one way or another. This collection was, (and continues to be), spectacular.

However... with the news of John Chu releasing movie news, (as vague as it might be), do you think the "stars" are going to line up and we're going to be finishing up MOTUC *just* in time to see a movie figure year release? How sweet would that be?

I'm guessing, if I'm accurate in my appraisal, that it will be a 3 3/4" line at a $10 range. Any other speculations?

Personally I hope we wrap up Classics before the next big mass media push for Masters begins, be it Chu's movie or a cartoon or whatever.

Classics has been shaping up to not only be the definitive Masters toyline, but also arguably one of the greatest action figure lines of all time. I'd love to see it completed without possibly being truncated or modified because of a mainstream media push.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    Classics has been shaping up to not only be the definitive Masters toyline, but also arguably one of the greatest action figure lines of all time. I'd love to see it completed without possibly being truncated or modified because of a mainstream media push.

I'd agree completely, especially since I'm guessing I'd have ZERO interest in anything related to a new movie, or even a cartoon. It seems that over the past few years, it's getting to the point where, to appeal to the mainstream consumer/audience, too much of what I like ends up getting stripped out of classic toy properties, like G.I. Joe, Transformers, and the various Marvel and DC movies. I'd personally hate to see the same thing happen to MOTU, especially if that meant an end to the Classics line as an offering with appeal to those who prefer character designs that stick close to the 'classic' MOTU, POP, and NA versions.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I can't imagine ever buying another MOTU toyline after Masters of the Universe Classics. It's the ultimate, and needs to be finished up right.

Movie lines normally stink, but I hope a new MOTU movie line is good enough to bring in new fans.

I'd be interested in a new MOTU line, but not before MOTUC gets properly wrapped up, or as much as it can be in the next two years. It would nice if a movie announcement could help MOTUC continue and be even more complete, while also releasing a retail movie line. I'm fine with other MOTU lines popping up in addition to MOTUC, but wouldn't want them to replace it until it truly feels like MOTUC is done.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'll bet that we'll start seeing MOTU repeated in various forms ad nauseum like Transformers and Power Rangers. Only thing is, future MOTU toylines might come in a stripped down form and in different styles. The only characters I see getting repeated are the 1982-1985 Vintage characters and only She-Ra (no Glimmer, Bow or Catra--just She-Ra folded into the Vintage line).

POP, NA, Mini-comics, Filmation...we might never see those non-Vintage characters again.

We'll probably see the New 52 DC MOTU figures or some other reinvention of the 1982-1985 Vintage characters + She-Ra when Classics dies down.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    I found the recent comments about a motu movie not very optimistic. He seemed like he was going to put motu on the back burner for GI joe 3....which will probably be a 2015 release so I'm assuming he won't even think about motu until thats out in theatres. So yeah I think Motuc will be wrapped up by then and it really depends what the figures look like to make me want to try the retail collecting again. I know dr is not the best but I've been really spoiled with online subscription delivery at my door now so only time will tell.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I agree that MOTUC is not only the best chance to get updated versions of vintage MOTU, but probably the only chance that POP, NA, Filmation and Mini Comic characters have. You never know of course, but it just doesn't seem likely.

I know that most of us will always have "one more character" that we want to see made, but I really want MOTUC to get through 2015 and deliver as many characters as possible so that it feels like the line ends on its own terms.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

You know what would be amazing? If the line makes it through 2015, and in 2016 a new movie actually comes out. Then we get an extension of MOTUC that includes new movie versions of the characters. Awesome that is as long as the new movie versions of characters are embrased by the fandom.

I think I'm just going to hate seeing the line die, whenever that may be.

Personally I hope we wrap up Classics before the next big mass media push for Masters begins, be it Chu's movie or a cartoon or whatever.

I agree! Finish classics THEN do a movie line!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Solstice-Moon View Post
    However... with the news of John Chu releasing movie news, (as vague as it might be), do you think the "stars" are going to line up and we're going to be finishing up MOTUC *just* in time to see a movie figure year release?
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm...no.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I doubt a MOTU movie is coming to the screen before 2016 at the earliest. Right now, 2015 is already jampacked with high-profile tent pole releases. Movie studios are already claiming weekends into 2016, 2017 and beyond. So, I can foresee the bulk of MOTUC being wrapped up, perhaps down to 6-figure sub or quarterly 2-packs or something. It'd be cool, if a new movie comes out, that they would offer the movie looks (assuming they are cool enough) in the MOTUC style to compliment the retail line. Which, if trends keep up, would probably be 3 3/4'' or something.

If a movie happens, and Classics is still going, I see no reason why the Classics collector line couldn't co-exist with a retail line that is likely to be in a different (smaller) scale and style. Matty may even try to leverage additional support for the Classics line by issuing repaint MOTUC into retail in addition to the core retail movie line, providing two scales and two price points for buyers.

Under this scenario, the online collectors focused Classics line could include movie representations in the Classics style, as befits this definitive collection.

I would not want to see Classics end to make room for a new retail focused line. Nor should it.

TG has said plenty of times MOTUC has to pay for itself. A retail movie line should come from a separate budget for allocating resources, not at the expense of MOTUC.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

if anything i'd like to see a continuation of the defunct stations line after MOTUC wraps up. I haven't bought a store shelf figure in years as they usually suck.

I won't collect a new MOTU line which is incompatible with MOTUC, but I am very open to new characters (including movie characters) done in this style. I don't want my MOTU to just look backwards. I like new characters, ideas, and stories.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I'd like to see a 3.75" line. Definitely new water for the property. And with any luck, they will adopt the mentality that came along with the Marvel (mainly X-Men) lines: to have movie styled figures mixed in with older "comic" interpretations. I'd love to see what they do with a GI Joe sized He-Man and Skeletor.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

No to 4" figures, I can't stand that small ass size....I personally will never buy a 4" line, I owned Star Wars before, like 3 figures from the Episode III line, and they were OK, but not for a whole collection....and I own a few Iron Man 4", and out of 3 figures I only really like 1.

I'd prefer MOTU to stay 5" and above....unles they're Mini Masters, then it's OK, because that's more a good novelty line, that I'd love to see more of, but for a larger steady line....no....5" plus please....

(that's what she said)
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

this line...needs to finish strong and right. I could easily think of 3 more years worth of characters I would happily buy, even with filler I'd be happy to have (most NA Heroes I dont want but would happily buy as they are legit vintage charactrers)

The only thing (debatably) that makes this line not better than the vintage line is there is no way we'll ever get all teh vehicles and playsets from the original line, and that stuff was just so great. So it'll always have a place.

I don't think a film should signal an end to MOTUC or have any bearing on it. I personally like how it has grown to encompass things from so many iterations (Vintage, Mini-comic, Filmation, 200x, NA, unpronounced animation/toy concepts, etc...) and melded it into a new version. I'd like to see it remain that and go on as long as it can.

Heroic Warrior
    with the news of John Chu releasing movie news, (as vague as it might be), do you think the "stars" are going to line up and we're going to be finishing up MOTUC *just* in time to see a movie figure year release? How sweet would that be?
    A MOTUC movie is no good news, as far as I'm concerned. I fear how they will butcher the myth and distort costumes and characters in a movie, and a new line of MOTUC figures doesn't interest me AT ALL, ESPECIALLY if it spells the demise of MOTUC. I won't collect MOTU figures other than MOTUC, so I don't care about a new MOTU line.

I just can't imagine a 3 3/4" MOTU line... Masters of the Universe figures were ALWAYS about big size and chunkiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    A MOTUC movie is no good news, as far as I'm concerned. I fear how they will butcher the myth and distort costumes and characters in a movie, and a new line of MOTUC figures doesn't interest me AT ALL, ESPECIALLY if it spells the demise of MOTUC. I won't collect MOTU figures other than MOTUC, so I don't care about a new MOTU line.

I just can't imagine a 3 3/4" MOTU line... Masters of the Universe figures were ALWAYS about big size and chunkiness.
    I did not like the new Conan movie, bloodshed festival, much like the new MOTU comics.... So I hope any new MOTU movie would not be like this, and be nothing like the original movie....which I found fit nothing I cared about as a Masters canon.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!